Portal 2: Weighted Companion Cube Is Back!

By John Walker on March 1st, 2011 at 1:16 pm.

There you are, my cuboid darling.

In the midst of GDC, Valve have released a bundle of new screenshots for Portal 2. Some of them are indescribably boring, but others are completely ace, and one of them features everyone’s favourite friend, the Weighted Companion Cube! Hooray! That little box of love is to return, despite his tragic destruction in the first game. What cruel fate awaits him this time around? It’s enough to make me go hug my freezer in delight. They’re all below.

I’ve decided to put them in order of interestingness, starting with the highest interestingment, and going down to the most boringity. What we can learn from this is that I like colours. Click on them to see them biggerised.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DevilSShadoW says:

TUBES! Beautiful, beautiful tubes! Exactly what I’ve always wanted portal to have.
    (and breasts but that’s a topic for another day)

• RaveTurned says:

Tubes! They’re Totally Tubular!™

• Mavvvy says:

I hear you man, imagine my disappointment when the gravity gun didnt work on Alyx’s boobs, but could pick up radiators….innovation my ass.

• juandemarco says:

Why, RPS, why can’t I like comments? How am I supposed to live without the possibility to show others my apreciation for boob comments? It is downright cruel… :D
      (BTW have you considered using Disqus for comments?)

• Diziet Sma says:

hmmm Disqus is quite nice but it’s not difficult to add like/dislike to wp.

• Jahkaivah says:

Bam. Tube Job.

• Marshall Stele says:

But then I would never be inclined to express my approval in a textual manner, resorting only to the eternal tyranny of clicking on the things that I liked!

Granted, I clicked on the companion cube many times, but that’s, er… another story.

• Carra says:

Now that you mention. Why doesn’t the gravity gun work on alyx’s clothes?

2. Meat Circus says:

That ain’t no weighted companion cube of mine.

We were in LOVE. That cube doesn’t love me. :(

3. NikRichards says:

*MY* cube is dead. You wave some cheap doppelganger in my face and think I can just sit back and accept it? Pah!

I will have my vengeance.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Actually the incinerator didn’t go anywhere, and it wouldn’t have destroyed the cube, merely singed it a bit. If the cube could withstand plasma orbs bouncing off it…

• KingMudkip says:

This is very true. I hadn’t considered that before.

4. saladin says:

Cheers for the massive spoiler on the front page.

• Quasar says:

Aye, PC Gamer did the same thing.

Blasted journalists. A pox! A pox on all of them!

• beanman101283 says:

Yeah, I really didn’t want to know this either :-(

• SuperNashwan says:

My feelings too, I’ve been on a media blackout for Portal 2 for over a year so I can enjoy everything without knowing what to expect. Not a huge deal but still.

• The Pink Ninja says:

I fear for my ability to avoid spoilers for Mass Effect 3

They’re going to be right there in the title.

And yes, I count the names and picture of squad-mates as spoilers.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It’s hardly a spoiler to say that the WCC is back. It’s the second-most predictable feature of Portal 2, after portals themselves. Do you really imagine Valve would’ve made Portal 2 and not included the WCC?

5. parm says:

Hold up, that fourth image looks a lot like some concept art or something, not a screenshot. What’s going on there?

• skinlo says:

It is concept art, and quite epic concept art imo at that.

• shoptroll says:

Is it? That certainly doesn’t look like anything I’d expect to find in Aperture Labs. There was that achievement list leak which indicated a strong likelihood of a fully realized Half-Life crossover in this game. Which isn’t terribly surprising when you think about it.

With all the Portal 2 / Half-Life 2 zeitgeisting going on lately (Eurogamer’s interview with the HL2 hacker, the Episode 2 weekend sale, upcoming GDC sessions, Gabe in Forbes, Gabe’s video conference with a high school class, Gabe on Steamcast, etc.) I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if there’s an Episode 3 / Half-Life 3 announcement by E3. But it’s not something I’m going to get my hopes up about. Just… too much Valve in the news (which isn’t directly related to Portal 2) lately to be a coincidence.

• Potentaint says:

The ending of Portal left me to believe that you would be escaping Aperture’s lab and playing in an environment much like Half-Life 2. It would not surprise me at all if this game offers some kind of insane twist in which the Portal mechanics are completely thrown out the window in lieu of another style of game play. I do not expect this game to be anything less than groundbreaking, and it would take a massive paradigm shift for that to happen.

6. Heliocentric says:

Dear Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Please do not post about portal 2 again except to notify us of its release.

You know as well as I do that we are all going to buy it, we might as well avoid spoilers.

Your’s sincerely, a worried friend.

• Unaco says:

While you’re at it, stop posting about Deus Ex HR… I still regret reading the article were it was revealed what is said to you on the operating table after the tutorial level… I’ll never know if that moment will have as much impact on me as it should have, had I not known what was going to be said. Also, I would say stop posting about Witcher 2, but I’ve ignored every article dealing with it, for fear of spoilers (still haven’t quite finished the 1st game). I have it pre-ordered and haven’t even watched a trailer for it.

• Octaeder says:

In an ideal world the only info we’d have on Portal 2 would be when the reviews came out, and even they would just say, “Yes.”

• Shatners Bassoon says:

@Unaco, you just spoilt that for me. I have been ignoring anything which so much as mentions Deus Ex. If I see those words I look away. Yet this time I failed, my eyes were drawn to certain words first read the rest and was like “Noooooooo, there is an operating table!”. Perhaps you should add spoiler tags?

Edited for sarchasm purposes.

• Nick says:

I.. I kinda didn’t want to know if the cube would be back or not, it is probably silly but I’ve been avoiding every thing I can about portal 2 so its as fresh a suprise as portal was.

• Dervish says:

I laughed pretty hard at Unaco’s utter lack of self-awareness.

Now I know there is an tutorial level. =(

7. Ricc says:

John, that fridgecube is fabulous! Is it still there? Also, after the internet sucked all the Portal memes dry after a few months, did you still enjoy the fridge? :3

8. Hentzau says:

spoilers ffs

9. Urael says:

If anyone is interested, “Companion Cube” is also a great world generating seed for the recent 1.3 release of Minecraft. :)

10. Unaco says:

Maybe I’m alone… Maybe this is sacrilege… Maybe I have no soul… Maybe I was doing it wrong, but the companion cube had little affect or impact on me. I can remember the puzzle involving it was a little annoying (timing a run through some narrow corridors or similar, having to wait ’til something was back at the start before trying again)… but that’s about it. I didn’t name it, or concoct elaborate fantasies of escaping with it and having it’s babies, I didn’t examine it intently and reproduce it with some sort of craft or artistic endeavour, and I shed no tears for it after it was gone. In fact, when I started seeing all of the memes about it, I didn’t realise what they were referring to… I thought I’d maybe missed a level or something during my playthrough.

It would have been better as a companion square, because the whole thing fell flat for me.

• seamoss says:

Same here – I could’ve cared less when it got incinerated. It’s a crate for crying out loud!

• Bureaucrat says:

You are not alone.

The graffiti-based ‘jokes’ in Portal all fell kinda flat to me. The juxtaposition of the murderous challenges with GlaDOS’s narration was funny. The bits supposedly left behind by previous test subjects who formed an unnatural attachment to the cube and who took the promises of cake seriously felt rather forced.

• Splynter says:

A for effort on your last joke, unfortunately your delivery was a little one-dimensional.

• MD says:

Yeah, the companion cube thing unsettles me a bit. Obviously people are being tongue-in-cheek when they declare their undying love for it, but I get the impression it really did elicit a lot of comic affection. I don’t think I’m normally a boring old serious-face about these things, but that whole setpiece did absolutely nothing for me, and it makes me wonder what I’m missing.

• bill says:

the joke?

11. Creeping Death says:

So… am I the only one that was hoping they’d move away from the meme spawning items of the first game?

I dont really want a full length game that rehashes jokes about cake and companion cubes. Now, if it was pie and stalker spheres then sign me up!

Portal has reached that stage of internet fame that it has me wondering if there is someone out there that will stumble across info on Portal 2 and go “Wow! Someone has made a game with references to that awesome cake meme!”

12. gingerpembers says:

“his” ??

“HIS”??

ITS A WOMAN!!

13. obvioustroll says:

Isn’t this a spoiler?

But at what point do you stop living in a cave with your fingers in your ears?

• obvioustroll says:

And wasn’t it Mr Walker who posted a mechanic spoiler in the Amnesia review?

*eyes John suspiciously*

14. Ian says:

Sadly I came to Portal late and I’d already been told how much I was supposed to adore my companion cube and got the impression that something untoward was going to happen, so when I played the game for myself I didn’t care. :(

15. stele says:

Yeah, MY cube was a GIRL, dammit!
    The stains on her when I (sob) euthanized her prove it!

16. shoptroll says:

VALVE! How dare you put spoilers in your press kits :(

Is it April yet? *closes eyes* How about now?

17. Vadermath says:

Holy shit, that is one awesome freezer!

18. bill says:

this tells me that my pc won’t run portal 2.
    and that my brain won’t run portal 2 puzzles.

this makes me sad as i want to plat portal 2 so much.

19. Heliocentric says:

I need to say that while i thought the cube was a nice comedy set piece i didn’t feel any emotion about it.

Then again i didn’t care about alyx , she died a few times in the games and lost me progress. The citizens i actually felt emotions for, i remember being in a small group in follow freeman, one commenting how much they are looking forward to having children and moments later getting killed by a sniper. Even ‘spoilers’ death in episode 2 didn’t compare.

I remember feeling a moment of genuine guilt when playing both cannon fodder and company of heroes for not getting my own home and for causing needless casualties on the enemy.

The cube was just funny.

20. Triangulon says:

I certainly hope my companion cube wasn’t a him. That makes me feel all kinds of wrong…

21. xesharpx says:

All the videos and knowledge of weighted companion cubes and screenshots and concept art and all the small spoilers just MAKE ME WANT TO PLAY IT MORE GRRRRAAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGG

Consider my appetite well and truly whetted.

22. adonf says:

Nice freezer. Is Dexter still around ?

23. Spinks says:

Cube! You came back!

24. Skystrider says:

I never did figure out all the fuss with the companion cube. I never felt any connection with the thing; it was just another tool to get trough the level. When I was told to incinerate the thing, I did it without flinching and without a second thought. It was only later, when I logged on to internet communities after I finished the game that I discovered other people actually cared for it.

heh. “Oops”, I said.

I still have no regrets. It was just a cube. Maybe I just suck at anthropomorphising. Or I have a heart of stone. Or both.

25. moondog548 says:

Might as well explain this…

NO ONE felt emotions for the companion cube. IT’S A JOKE. YOU JUST FORCED ME TO EXPLAIN THE JOKE. Everyone else just went with it and enjoyed it. You monsters.

• MD says:

Is the joke that it’s totally ridiculous and nobody cared at all though, or is it one of those tongue-in-cheek things where people are joking, but they did sort of find it cute at the time? Because it seems like the latter to me, but maybe I’m just on the wrong wavelength.

26. jonfitt says:

A spoiler? Really?

It was pretty obviously going to be in Portal 2 IMHO.

The information about all the goo, Wheatley, the fact that you’re in the ruined/repaired Aperture facility etc. All of that is stuff I wish I hadn’t heard.

27. Jamesworkshop says:

Meh never cared for the companion cube, bring on the ariel faith plates and Repulsion gel

28. Moonracer says:

The evil side of me imagines companion cube appearing at the beginning of the game and an achievement requiring you to carry it through the entire game. Much like the gnome in HL2EP2.

• KingMudkip says:

PleaseohpleaseohpleaseNOOOO!!!!!! Not that! Anything but THAT!!!!

29. yourgrandma says:

getting kind of sick of portal 2 articles spoiling the entire game….

30. Big Murray says:

Well … there goes my Portal 2 media blackout …

31. alice says:

Back in 2007, the continual articles on the WCC are what brought me to RPS in the first place. Those freezercube articles make me really nostalgic.