Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood’s Not-DLC

By Jim Rossignol on March 2nd, 2011 at 11:31 pm.

The people of Ubisoft have released a video to hype up the fact that the PC version of Brotherhood – that multiplayer stabbing game of the series – will come with The Da Vinci Disappearance, which is the console DLC for the game. Which essentially means it’s not DLC on PC, it just is part of the game. The clue to the details of this content is in the title: it’s a single and multi-player mission which features the kidnapping of Leonardo Da Vinci. Presumably you’ll have to rescue him, and dudes will get stabbed. Yeah, go watch the trailer, that is what happens. And it happens with style.

With that thought in mind, I suppose I’d better go and hunt for the scalps of indie devs at the IGF. Wish me luck!

, .

1. Frosty840 says:

Not buying it, UbiDRM, etc.

Would like to, but won’t.

Rant, blargle, etc.

• Kaira- says:

DRM, consoles, hate, whine, I found it was nice, I didn’t, etc, DRM, consoles.

• Frosty840 says:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, Ubisoft are, apart from the DRM issue, probably my absolute favourite games company. They are making the best, most innovative games series of all the big-name publishers, as far as I’m aware, and I would love to be supporting that.

But their DRM is pure poison. So I won’t, even though I hate not being able to play some of the best games around.

• Xercies says:

It doesn’t come with it.

And ubisoft hasn’t made a really decent game in awhile in fact the ubisoft DRM fiasco hasn’t affected me in the slightest because I have had not wanted any game with the system

• Orvidos says:

I seem to remember a story on this very RPS that stated they wouldn’t be using Always Online DRM this go ’round? Am I crazy?

• Thants says:

According to a previous story here you don’t have to be online the whole time you play the game but you have to be online every time you launch it, which is basically as bad.

• el_Chi says:

@Thants It’s nowhere near as bad. They’ve swapped out the most insane and hateful DRM ever conceived and replaced it with a similar process to GfWL, because, y’know, everybody likes that, right?
      So yeah, not nearly as bad, but still irritating.

Whether it’s irritating enough to stop you buying the game is a different matter.

• Thants says:

Ah, I didn’t realize it only required you to connect when you install the game, not every time you play.

• Delusibeta says:

I’ve read another RPS story which said that it requires connection every time you started it up. Which is still pure poison. I’ll wait until this is clarified before even considering it.

• KenTWOu says:

“Ubisoft community developer Gabe Graziani has tweeted to make it clear that the game will only require a login on installation.”

“Once after install… then offline play will be available to you.”

Maltose says:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that the Marquis just keeps that weird little smile of his while the knight hacks him to bits?

3. JohnnyMaverik says:

The problem is, while the removal of the always online aspect of the DRM (which meant I honestly couldn’t play the game due to living at university halls atm where the connection can be described as flaky at best, a friend of mine who also lives at halls bought Splinter Cell Conviction, couldn’t play it due to constant disconnects) is for me, enough to make it bearable, I still haven’t played the second game, cuz hey, I didn’t buy it because I wouldn’t be able to play it even if I did. I understand the SP (which is the part I’m interested in cuz hey, I’m not guna get far with the MP on this connection) follows on directly from AC2.

It’s 20 quid on steam atm, I refuse to pay 20 quid for it, so unless there’s a significant sale on AC2 on release of Brotherhood, Ubisoft have kind of shot themselves in the foot. Too little (loads of people still take issue with the remaining parts of the DRM, no sales there) too late (I’m guna take a wild guess and say that 20 quid for a not too far off 1 year old game that we were forced to not buy with balls out retarded DRM is guna be a sticking point for plenty of people as well).

Normally I’d expect a steam sale on the previous title as a given, but hey, this is Ubisoft, I have very limited confidence in their intelligence now, so I’m not expecting anything better than 25% off, and 15 quid still isn’t quite sweet enough. I hope they prove me wrong, but I doubt it, and lets be honest, while I hope Ubisoft keep supporting pc gaming, they still haven’t removed the always online component of the DRM from several titles, it took them way too bloody long to remove it from the ones that they now have removed it from (I remember a representative saying it’d be gone when it’d been compromised, it was fully compromised after the first month, they lied), redemption has been far from met.

4. Deano2099 says:

Worth pointing out, it contains one bit of DLC. The bit that is out on the consoles soon. It doesn’t contain The Copernicus Conspiracy, which was exclusive to the PS3 version (and included in the box).

5. Guyver says:

despite i hate this brand, the game its without his infamous DRM: only one-time internet activation and you are free to go.

6. Pinky_Powers says:

Good to hear.

Diziet Sma says:

Holy cow…. a fan site for retifists at last!

**and now the spam has gone my comment is even more perverse**

8. Shadram says:

This post is an alt-text combo-breaker. Please rectify!

9. pipman3000 says:

[nerd rage here]

10. Cronstintein says:

Aw, DLC mp game modes? That’s harsh. Extra characters and sp quests is fine but whole modes relegated to DLC kinda sucks. (for consoles)

11. Anathem says:

I’m a bit confused. That video makes no mention of the PC version as far as I can see.

12. mejobloggs says:

shoes for king?
    shoes forking?

forking shoes

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

It’s “shoes for king”? Huh. I always read it as “shoes forking”, and wondered why anyone would make a spam site with a name that made no forking sense. Well, unless it wasn’t a site selling shoes, but a very strange fetish site with a bowdlerised name.

13. karthink says:

I would buy this game if it did not ship with the UbiDRM. Preorder it, even.
    You just lost a customer, Ubisoft.

14. Adam says:

Ubisoft has made some mistakes (lame drm) but they also make some of the best games out there. Cain’t wait for Brotherhood to come to the PC !

15. Ravenger says:

Now if they patched this new DRM (If it’s what they say it is) into AC2, I’d buy that. No point in playing Brotherhood before I’ve played AC2.

16. Iskariot says:

I still don’t like the DRM. I have gotten used to a one time online activation DRM, but Ubisoft still goes to far. It is too restricting, without offering anything in return. They should just use simple steam with a one time activation as a drm. I like steam. Steam has recognized that you have to offer a useful service to the gamers as well. Being able to backup and re-download anytime you like is very practical.

The only AC I bought is the first one. I’d love to own the others too. I love the stealthy gameplay, and I adore the gameworld, the beautiful architecture of the ancient cities. But if Ubi doesn’t see the light they won’t see my money either I’m sorry to say.
    Oh well, enough other cool games to spend my money on, like Crysis 2, Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City and others. Still it is annoying because I would really like to legally own this game. I would probably have bought the collectors edition.