Scroll Through This: First Scrolls Artwork

By John Walker on March 2nd, 2011 at 2:00 am.

This really does feel old-school.

While we may have the best information on Scrolls on the internet, what we don’t know much about is what it looks like. At this early stage, what we’ve got is some concept art by their resident artist, Junkboy. If you want to see it full size, just click on any of the images below. It’s also the first four cards of the game revealed, giving you an idea of what sort of characters you’ll have in your deck.

To start with, here’s a couple from below, but with +1 Coloured In:

Clearly the spelling and grammar aren’t final, but here’s a Troll Warrior:

A Dwarven Warrior, who – like Jim – does double damage to walls.

The Human Thief, troublingly labelled a “nightly sinner”:

And an Elf Sorceress, who is worth four logs:

, , .

1. pakoito says:

This is EXACTLY my kind of game. If it’s well designed it’ll be a long-time keeper.

I tried with Guardians of Graxia but there are just too few characters. Also boardgames need a lot of space, money or time and aren’t as dynamic as a PC can make them get.

• d32 says:

No, boardgames don’t need much money – they are one time investment compared to the continuous money sink they plan this game to be.

• Vague-rant says:

Is anyone expecting this to sell anywhere near as well? I think they’ll be happy with even a third of the Minecraft sales. Not my kind of game, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a market for it or that this kind of thing shouldn’t exist.

• pakoito says:

@d32 Boardgames are not one (BIG) pay stuff. For Dominion, a 2009 game theres already 5 expansions, more than half the price of the original game each.

• d32 says:

@pakoito
      Yes, but you at least have the option not to buy them and still enjoy the game. You don’t have this option in competitive multiplayer micro-transactions game.

• DrazharLn says:

I’m quite happy to give them the benefit of the doubt on the whole buying cards thing. They’ve suggested there might be other ways to get cards and that you don’t need to buy any extras anyway.

If there are plenty of cards in the game for free (enough to make a good few different types of deck) and extra cards are cheap enough (not priced like traditional CCGs) then I’ll be happy.

Id be most happy if I could gather new cards not by paying money but by some other means (exploring dungeons, completing challenges, defeating opponents, perhaps even by casting magic or something. I wouldn’t want to see some kind of pointless grind for new cards, though.

2. Howling Techie says:

Sounds very magic: the gathering. Also, as a fan of minecraft, as much as I would like all efforts put into MC, I am OK with this.

3. Faxmachinen says:

These cards are suspiciously similar to Magic: The Gathering cards. I’m glad they didn’t opt for a straight card game, because that would be a bit like trying to make another WoW. The board game aspects could make it interesting, so I’ll withold judgement until we see some more of that.

4. mwoody says:

First card ever posted and it has a typo. Oops, eh? ^_^

5. LostSoviet says:

Obligatory comment about having wood for an elf sorceress =)

6. MrEvilGuy says:

“Pay two wood to have Synarian sorceress transfer her attack power to target unit.”

I see something sexual in that.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Especially if she… “blocks” the Night Sinner. “Take of your clo… equipment, lady.”
      Heh heh heh.

“Night Sinner”… Heh heh.

7. Inigo says:

Why is the Dwarf the same size as the Elf?

8. Davie says:

Damn, I managed to comment on the wrong article. Prize for smarts!

9. Atomosk says:

Nice characters, but I want them in Minecraft.
    When he dumped the frog girl and hired Junkboy I was assuming there would be new art. I guess it’s all plain box people in minecraft from here out. :(

10. chiablo says:

I just don’t understand why he says that there’s really no game out there that is a collectible card game RPG that plays like a board game. You’re hard pressed to NOT find a game that is exactly that.

11. Frank says:

I sure would like to see the board.

12. Avenger says:

That explains why Minecraft is going nowhere in terms of graphics even though they hired a new graphics guy a while ago.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like the way it looks.

13. Quintin Smith says:

This is all starting to remind me of Summoner Wars. In a good way.

14. icupnimpn2 says:

Really glad to see they’ve kept the cards simple. The Guardians of Graxia cards are a mess, with lines upon lines of skills and etc crammed on each card, making it hard to keep track of what they can or can’t do and when. Simplicity is really welcome here. More is not better.

15. kulik says:

It seams they didn’t get my telepathic waves of a steampunk flymashines wars a “design and build your ship/Strategy/simulator/FPS game” i send them. Dang!

16. Bilbo says:

It makes sense that the elf sorceress gives you wood.

17. Coins says:

Hey look, no stupidly revealing armour. Hooray!

18. Fumarole says:

Who among us isn’t a Nightly Sinner?