Mount & Blade: With Fire And Sword Videos

By Quintin Smith on March 2nd, 2011 at 4:51 pm.

Tracheotomies have come a long way since the 17th century.

Mount & Blade expandalone With Fire and Sword hits this summer, adding explosives, a new economic model and heightened political intrigue to the quasi-realistic indie action RPG. Below you’ll find a couple of new trailers entitled Ambience and Action, and the RPS supercomputer informs me that they’re both precisely as awesome as one another, right down to the molecular level. Remarkable!

Here’s the ambience trailer, which does a passable job of making you forget that you’re watching a game made by a Turkish team so small that the lot of them could plausibly fit in a phone box.

Next up is the action trailer, which has made me laugh more than anything else today. I heart Mount & Blade, and I think I’ll heart the new firearms. That’s something darkly deliberate about pointing this contrapation at a man, taking aim, pulling the trigger and watching him concertina to the floor in terrible pain. Or hitting a man who’s reloading. Or just hitting a man. This game has it all!

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. westyfield says:

Hey, hey, hey hey!

2. McDan says:

I like to see men dance in pain to the ground, my kinda game.

3. Srekel says:

Are there any multiplayer games being organised (officially or not) by the RPS crowd? I loved the single player game, except the parts that weren’t so good, but it would be fun to try out some large scale multiplayer horse swingy action. :)

4. GraveyardJimmy says:

Whilst I will probably pick this up, i hope that it has enough features to impress me. Firearms have been added by mods already, which is one of the problems of making your game so mod friendly.

I hope the price wont be too hefty for those of us who own warband, else I might be tempted to neglect it.

5. Mr_Hands says:

Warband was the best money I spent last year. I anticipate this will be the case as well for With Fire and Sword. This all looks tremendous.

6. Shatners Bassoon says:

I bought Warband pretty late and oh my god I hated half the community after a good while. Servers could get a bit tense at time. But all was changed by the power of mods. One in particular which I beg you to try out.

It is called Vikingr and is set around the Norman invasion. Some of the best infantry based multiplayer going. Mmmhmm. If you go to the RPS forums and have a poke in the old RPS Warband thread I did make a topic there about it where you can feast on some fancy videos or go straight to the mods forum below.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

This mod is pretty fun, played a few games of it. Some interesting maps, such as the bridge one that offers a major focus point and flanking routes, I’m guessing it may have been based on Stamford bridge?

Haven’t tried the raid based gamemode yet as no servers were offering it.

• Merlkir says:

Viking is indeed probably the best multiplayer mod for WB I’ve played.

As for WFAS, I think the mod for Warband with the exact same theme will be better than this game.

• Davee says:

Vikingr has been getting more attention than we on the dev team could’ve hoped for! Thank you, fellas :)

7. Beardface says:

Fancy that, a game developed by a tiny Turkish studio, with a storyline based on a classic Polish novel and set in the Eastern Europe is generating a fair bit of buzz. Got to love indie games.

• Nesetalis says:

i first played the game close to a decade ago :p its amazing how long they have been developing and polishing. But honestly, no other game does swordplay or even just killing as visceral as mount & blade. You can almost feel the sword grate against bone XD

I love the game.. though i have not played it in a year or two, after they released i lost interest. :p

8. Om says:

Any word on whether this is being developed by the in-house Taleworlds crowd or is simply the international release of an older Eastern European expansion (which was apparently poorly received)?

• Archonsod says:

Taleworlds is working on it, though I think it’s based / in conjunction with the Russians.

• Maslaw says:

Not Russians, but Poles. The expansion was released locally by CDProjekt last year.

9. skinlo says:

I have the original and Warband, but this doesn’t look very interesting to me. I guess maybe it just seems more of the same, and I have found after 70-80 hours, Warband is getting highly repetitive as well.

• Davee says:

I’m not terribly exited about this either. All I can see so far are new models and sounds, the rest already exists in Warband mods.

And I’m still a bit confused as to why there’s a mod with pretty much exactly the same name and art but apparently many more features and improvements coming out?

• Archonsod says:

The mod was for the original Mount & Blade, not Warband. It’s based on the earlier engine so lacks a fair few features. Multiplayer for example.

• Barnaby says:

Now that I’ve played the multiplayer cRPG mod for Warband I have very little interest in the game unmodded. I heard they were going to be bringing magic to cRPG which is even more exciting than guns with mediocre animations, IMO.

I love the game, but I’m almost positive this will be priced just like the others. They release what is essentially an expansion, call it a standalone game, and price it just as much as the old games. For example, last I checked, there were no pricing differences between Warband and the original, yet one would be a fool to buy the original and not Warband at this point.

While I’m glad they are developing something new and I enjoyed Warband immensely, the pricing schemes and lack of polish on their games put me off a bit.

10. Ashrik says:

cRPG is my favorite warband mod. Persistent online characters? Yes please

11. Tizoc says:

Just one question : was the first person view a possible choice in Warband? I can’t remember and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t in the original M&B.

• Inigo says:

Press “R”.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

It was in the original M&B.

I never play M&B in anything but the 1st person, though I know many people prefer 3rd for the situational awareness.

• Tizoc says:

Oh… I’ve played M&B in third person without ever pressing “R”. I never even knew about it, and I “finished” the game. Played it for an awful lot of time wishing there was a first person view.

I’m feeling a bit stupid now.

12. NAZIUFOCOMMANDER says:

YAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH. I love M&B sounds.

• Ateius says:

Nothing quite as satisfying as hearing your favouring slicing sound coming from a hit. I like to imagine they hurt more than normal.

13. Resin says:

I will get this. I’m still playing Warband more than anything else at the moment.

14. Davie says:

Ooh, shiny.

I do like how they got Zack Snyder to direct the ambiance trailer.

15. kulik says:

This is my kind of game. And with my shiny new rig by the end of the month i hope to put the battlesizer to 400 men on the battlefield!!!

DollarOfReactivity says:

Yes! I’ve found 500 to be very stable (though sieges can get a little weird). It’s an awesome spectacle, and means your tactics and army training is more important than your individual actions.

16. Mister Yuck says:

Oh god, Hussars. This is awesome, I’m gonna have to reread the book.

17. Adekan says:

Loved, loved, loved the original M&B. Seriously, cannot state how much I loved it, probably put 400 hours into it. Then I bought Warband and was so disappointed that it stopped me from even returning to the original game.

The least balanced/fun multiplayer i’ve ever encountered coupled with game stopping graphics bugs ( Apparently Radeon cards are too heathen to support at launch ) and changing the great mounted combat to something far more finicky for no reason made me wish Steam took returns. Needless to say I will not be further supporting their cause. I am sad I did not get a CD version of it to use as a coaster.

• JuJuCam says:

Pretty much this, although I wasn’t angry at bugs or anything, I just thought something about combat had changed in a subtle way in Warband that I just couldn’t adjust to. Something about the sword ranges and the new animations or something just felt wrong.

I’ll probably come back on board with Fire & Sword and get readdicted though.

• Merlkir says:

@Adekan: I took a break from playing Warband, because there weren’t any good multiplayer mods out yet. And now I got back into it again. I’m playing Vikingr, used to play cRPG (which is horribly grindy, but if that floats your boat..) and it’s all good.

18. RogB says:

gun and explosion particle smoke needs some work, should be a thick white cloud that obscures most of the battlefield.
    damn i want my Sharpe game. Mod potential ahoy!

19. svge says:

Just bought all 3 Games for £14 pounds-ish on steam. I can’t believe I only just discovered this as it seems right up my street. Downloading warband now and fingers crossed I enjoy it. Any essential mods I should be enlightened about?