Swor D’œuvres: Some More Hunted Footage

By Quintin Smith on March 2nd, 2011 at 2:18 pm.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm still reeling at that headline

It seems like only yesterday that I was posting a long video of Hunted: The Demon’s Forge. Quite possibly because I was. But that video was old, and this is new! And as we all know, new is best. You hear that, grandad? Besides, while both videos show sexy protagonists E’lara and Caddoc slapping around whole bestiaries of monsters, this one’s demon-strably more polished and marginally less all-over-the-place. But still quite all-over-the-place. You’ll see.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. McDan says:

Who’s the guy doing the voice acting for the male? Also it’s good to see that sensible clothes for warrior-women are still pretty much out.

• Quintin Smith says:

It’s none other than Graham McTavish!

I know that because it was scribbled in the margins of last week’s Bethesda press release. I’m not hot for Graham McTavish or anything. Not yet. We’ll see how he does as Dwalin in the upcoming The Hobbit movie first.

• Negativeland says:

Weirdly, nobody complains when the male characters wear the usual barbarian’s loincloth & few leather straps-fare, but when it’s a female doing it, o’ the hills are alive with the sound of cries of “Sexism!”.

• oddshrub says:

They do seem fairly equally skimpy dressed. :p

• Negativeland says:

@oddshrub: Indeed.

• Cinnamon says:

To be fair all of the female character’s gameplay in the trailer is sideboob heavy and almost all of the talking ends up with her being called girl which is a little condescending. A lot of the discussion about sexism in games is very groanworthy and tortured compared to that.

• Negativeland says:

@Cinnamon:

The Character Caddoc calls her a “girl”. Using your logic, Kurt Vonnegut was clearly a nazi for writing Slaughterhouse Five…

• Cinnamon says:

I can only give an impression based on what I have seen.

2. Javier-de-Ass says:

enjoyed the cutscenes. the game looks like boring crap. and the levels look like console shooter corridors and arenas. what.

• The Snee says:

Yeah, gameplay looks laughably uninteresting. Quite liked the guy saying “THAT WAS CLOSE” while hundreds of arrows are peppering him during a cutscene, and him running infront of the bow to get stunlocked and block the players screen. Nice.

3. Jonas says:

I’m glad this has local co-op because I won’t be able to get any of my friends to buy it.

4. Benjamin L. says:

Note the ever-so-slight boob-wiggle of the female. Nicely done, fellas.

DarkWeeble says:

Possibly my favorite headline for a story this year. I love you guys. Don’t ever change.

Colonel J says:

Quinns, you can take the rest of the day off.

tomeoftom says:

Fuck, take a holiday. Go to Portugal or something for a week. That headline, chrissake. A miracle.

6. Negativeland says:

Can’t get the embedded video to play for some reason, but based on this video, the game looks moderately interesting. The combat does look a bit too easy, and for a game with that much melee combat, the sword hits seem to lack “meatiness”.

7. Reapy says:

Gears of war with a bow. A bow is not a gun yet it seems to be shooting bullets here. Melee combat appears to be yawnable button mashing. Is this here one of them payed advertisements as a story or something?

8. Dominus says:

Hexen meets Severance – blade of darkness ?

at least I hope so!

9. suibhne says:

Great voice-acting.

Terrible writing.

10. Flameberge says:

It depresses me how mediocre this game looks, I was really hoping it would be an interesting, fun (if unoriginal and generic) experiences. As it is, looks like bad companion AI, uninspired button mashing and insipid level design. I hope I’m wrong, I really do. I shall continue to give it the benefit of the doubt until reviews come along, but from being relatively excited about it for the first few months after I heard about it, I’m no longer really interested.

Lars Westergren says:

Unfortunately I’m also slightly *less* interested in this title after seeing this trailer.
      -1 for the bog standard uninspired sexist design of the female character.
      -1 for poor writing. If you are living in a world completely taken over by demons, I don’t think you are going to say “*GASP!* WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?!” when seeing one. Personally I would have had the character say something like. “Hm, be careful, I’ve never seen one of those before….”
      -1 for cover based shooter mechanics (presumably with autohealing). Gears of War, Mass Effect 2, and a million more me-too titles. All boring. Levels designed around waist high walls, and shootouts for the 1 minute attention span personality. Yes, even ME2. I said it.

Edit: To not be totally bitter, here are some remaining plus-es:
      +1 for graphics
      +1 for co-op
      +1 for not making only the girl the spellcaster.

• TariqOne says:

Lars = spot on.

11. lethu says:

Is this supposed to be a PC game? you are kidding me… right?

12. Oneironaut says:

This looks like something I could enjoy after picking it up in a Steam sale for around $10, as long as the teammate AI in single-player is decent.

13. Flappybat says:

Can’t get the video to load, it only goes about a quarter of the way around the dial even after dumping my cache.