California Scüba Alles: Depth GDC Trailer

By Quintin Smith on March 3rd, 2011 at 1:01 pm.

This is a shark attack. This is a shark attack. This is! Shark Attack!

Holy shit! So, when I first posted about multiplayer indie title Depth back in October I found the concept of divers vs. sharks exciting, but I wasn’t expecting all that much from the game itself. It’s difficult, bringing an entirely new concept to life like that. But RPS stalwart Phill Cameron just pointed me towards the new GDC game footage, and this game looks incredible.

Enough talk! Hold you breath, plunge into the frigid waters below and take a look for yourself.

Not only are they going all out with the tension of the theme, the stealth looks excellent. To clarify, the shark players are good at detecting motion and blood, but so long as the divers stay still, the sharks will, allegedly, have a tricky time picking them out. I assumed that would mean hobbling the shark team’s vision only slightly, but it looks like they’re almost blind, which is much more interesting, but potentially much more boring if you’re playing a shark. We need footage of the shark side, posthaste. You can see a shark from a 3rd person perspective at 0:28, but that might just be a killcam, and while there’s another snippet at 1:14 but he can see the divers pretty clearly. I remember seeing a screenshot before which showed a camera inside the shark’s mouth- maybe they’ve abandoned that.

Also, Jesus Christ getting singled out by a shark looks like it’ll be a terrifying thing indeed. That the developers would make the divers collect treasure very slowly, piece by piece, in an atmosphere like that looks like the cruellest thing in the world. I approve! I really, really do.

, , .

1. Kieron Gillen says:

California Scüba Alles! I salute thee!

KG

• Unaco says:

I too salute thee!

Also, for those that didn’t know, Jerry Brown is Governor of California again. Best send your uncool nieces out of the State.

• Batolemaeus says:

Is…is that supposed to be a german pun? Because if it is, I want to stab you now.

• Shatners Bassoon says:

@Batolemaeus but then you will only be furthering the stereotype that Germans have no sense of humour and thus will have to stab yourself.

• Unaco says:

What’s so wrong about German puns that they drive you to stab people? Besides, it isn’t the Hivemind you need to stab… It would be The Dead Kennedys.

• Dozer says:

I thought that was the game title. Depthgame is not as good.

Uber alles in der welt!

The pun and the setting both remind me of Silent Hunter III. “That game where you wait and wait and wait while doing geometry, then you sink” as my housemate described it after watching me play for fifteen uneventful minutes.

Oozo says:

Have to admit: A bit of research might have been involved, but now I stand in line, saluting Quinns, the rightful heir to the RPS-pun-throne.

• Batolemaeus says:

I’m sorry Shatners, but there are certain puns that are one-way tickets into pungatory. And reading such an evil pun feels like a pun-ch in the gut.
      It’s bad enough when us barvarians make horrible puns, but at least we have an efficient system to properly deal with the problem before it becomes pundemic.

Okami says:

@Batolemaeus: This pun is not about germany, but about “California über alles!” a song by the Dead Kennedies.

• Shatners Bassoon says:

@Batolemaeus: Man that had me in stitches, I applaud thee. I understand though I spent a quarter of my life in Germany; Dusseldorf, Duisburg, Bracht and Elmpt a few towns near Mönchengladbach . I fell in love with Germany with all my heart, amazing country and amazing people. I still make pilgrimages to stock up on food and beer.

• Batolemaeus says:

Okami, the language is, however, distinctively german. :P

• neolith says:

@Batolemaeus:

@RPS:
      Bonus points for the punk reference and greetings from Germany. ;)

• xesharpx says:

A friend of mine somehow misheard the lyrics as “Aurora… Borealis”! aaahhhhh…. how we mocked him.

• jeremypeel says:

It’s the Dead Kennedys, it’s no more an abuse of the German language than a pun on Les Miserables would be a slight against the French!

…It’s the Dead Kennedys!

SHARKS!

2. bonjovi says:

It’s like original Alien vs Predator! Please let me have single player campaign as well!

3. frenz0rz says:

A Dead Kennedys reference, in my RPS? How thoughtful!

4. Moni says:

That’s the filthiest screenshot I’ve ever seen.

5. Lilliput King says:

Erm, so, what’s going on in that top screenshot?

• Jacques says:

The shark’s peeling the leg to get to the tasty meat inside, obv.

amishmonster says:

He certainly did a good job of cleanly removing the chain mail shark suit that guy was wearing. And the skin.

At first I thought it was the diver’s overly large intestine, but then I noticed the lack of the other leg.

6. Quintin Smith says:

Am I seriously going to have to re-crop that screenshot to get everybody’s attention away from knob jokes and onto the game. AM I. FINE. HERE I GO.

• Lilliput King says:

It’s because he doesn’t really look like he’s biting. He’s just hanging there with it in his mouth, staring lovingly into our eyes.

• frenz0rz says:

I must admit, I didnt see it until people started pointing it out. Perhaps they’ve been spending a little too much time wallowing in the darkest recesses of the internet?

• Calabi says:

I thought you were goatsying us. Why would you do such a thing?, why?

And there is no way I am playing this game, ever, ever.

• Oak says:

I hate it when they use teeth.

7. McDan says:

Woo knob jokes with sharks! But this game does look good.

Diziet Sma says:

What an absolutely fantastic idea! Thanks RPS droids for bringing this to our attention.

9. Joe Duck says:

Looks awesome! And right now I am studying for my scuba divers exam… I think I am not going to show this video to my girlfriend…

10. Koozer says:

Looks nice, but I hope they give the sharks more rolling. At the moment they look like a surprise shoe.

11. Stormdancer says:

Holy crap, why didn’t I know about this game before now?

Plus, also, why no linkie to depthgame in this lucious article? After watching those shark attacks, I am loathe to leave my sheltered little cage of THIS article.

12. FreakyZoid says:

I am loving the caption for that first screenshot. Bravo.

13. Linfosoma says:

Thank you for featuring us!
    To clarify a few things, sharks can play from first or third person view, divers only from first person. And divers are not invisible when moving, all the stealth is old school, so it’s not like divers become completely invisible when standing still, they are simply harder to spot since they blend in better with the scenery.

Anyway, since my english is terrible and I stink at PR I’ll just drop the link of our website, which has more info: Depthgame.com

• HHPP says:

I was hoping they’d do something visually crazy for the shark vision. Reduce it to scenery with multi-coloured trails of odour and ripples of movement in it.

Richard Beer says:

This is the kind of multiplayer game where the hairs stand up on the back of your neck in tension, and then you shit yourself because a shark’s biting your leg off. Same old, same old.

15. BAshment says:

That shark is called chris.

• Springy says:

Don’t overlook Ron. I say ichthyologists are getting lazy with their nomenclatures and probably need Chris and Ron to bite ‘em in the bum.

• WildcardUK says:

1:15. Myles the shark. At least the spelling is a bit exotic :)

16. Sunjammer says:

So awesome looking. Also, Chris the shark.

17. Web Cole says:

Art Attack reference for the win!

18. Hoanui says:

Well, there IS some (but very short) footage of the sharks in action:

Scroll down and click the plus next to the “Sharks” section.

19. Sepulchrave76 says:

Great idea for a game.

Quinns: now I have to listen to Fresh Fruit from front to back, I hope you’re happy punchappie

20. Fumarole says:

Asymmetric gameplay? You’re doing it right.

stahlwerk says:

I think calling them “Sharks” is more than a bit disrespectful towards our divers, the developers should name them “antagonistic sea-dwellers”.

21. BobsLawnService says:

It looks like the movement dynamics are off. Whatever happened to the inertia that you have when you are underwater, or the resistance which means that everything happens in slow motion if you are a human?
    The creators of the game should really take a few scuba diving lessons to get the feel of it.
    Edit : In hindsight I can see how the tone of this could be a bit overly critical but I only meant it as constructive criticism. Really.

• 20thCB says:

That’s fair enough but would that inertia make it playable? It’s supposed to be a competitive multiplayer game after all.

Anyway, looking forward to this – there should be more games where you get to eat people….

• BobsLawnService says:

The other way of looking at it is that having sharks with melee weapons and huge maneuverability vs. sluggish humans with inertia and ranged tagging weapons might be a great gameplay mechanic. The current movement mechanics are also incredibly off-putting to anyone who has scuba dived. Also, the inertia of real life diving will just feel more natural so it should make it more playable.
      But then everyone is a critic and armchair game designer.

22. Robin says:

Is a release date (theoretical) known?

23. tremulant says:

Sharks, and not a head-mounted laser in sight? Someone’s missing a trick.
    Being a player of an asymmetric team-based online FPS(tremulous), this does appeal to me somewhat, i must say the prospect of being hunted underwater by a shark, laserbeams or no, does scare the shit out of me, though.

Anthile says:

What a shark.

Colonel J says:

Interstellar Marines and now this.

Are sharks the new zombies? I hope so.

• JellyfishGreen says:

It is well documented that sharks prevented the Manila zombie outbreak of 2005 from reaching Australia.

26. sexyresults says:

Stoked for this.

27. Davie says:

That screenshot contains a man (or a man’s arm and leg anyways) in the process of stabbing a shark in the eye, while it is in the process of chewing its leg off. This is all that I require to determine the quality of a game. I am sold.

28. Jet says:

Okay, a couple things..
    Anyone else think it’s AWESOME that the poster’s first name can be shortened to Quint?

Also, this looks like Shark: Hunting the Great White crossed with current multiplayer games. Therefore, I am in love. Wonderbar!

29. Jimbo says:

I got no spit.

Hodge says:

Made us click through to see the footage, eh? You totally sharked the jump.

31. DOLBYdigital says:

The genius behind Killing Floor strikes again!! Can’t wait

32. RegisteredUser says:

Has anyone pointed out yet that sharks are actually fairly docile and not that into harming humans to begin with?

I demand a mandatory “Last chance to see” watching for everyone who posted here.

Seriously though folks, watch it. Douglas Adams’ legacy visited by Stephen Fry.
    Come ON.