Red River Videos Show The Best Explosion

By Quintin Smith on March 3rd, 2011 at 10:12 am.

Sgt Bernice's means of latrine-digging soon came to the attention of HQ.

Morning sir! Alright, I think I’ve got everything. Here are your two eggs, done just how you like them. There’s the toast, buttered on both sides as you requested. Here’s the bacon, also buttered on both sides. There’s your coffee. There’s the coffee pot. There’s the second coffee pot. Your morning manshoots? But of course, sir. You’ll find them under that silverware dome. It’s Operation Flashpoint: Red River today, sir. And they feature an explosion which I’m sure you’ll agree is simply remarkable.

The first video’s OK, but I love the second video. I love that he calls in this monstrous Hell-burp of a bomb and then, as the dust settles, continues to whisper. Shh! Steathily now.

, .

1. flakmonkey says:

That was a nice explosion. Hopefully this will be better than Dragon Rising.

2. Duffin says:

Where are my sausages!?

3. Ondrej says:

Eww, gamepad movements, can tell them from miles away. Nice boom, though.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Agreed, won’t buy this game as I dislike codemasters (or maybe I will but not at full price) But damn those explosions are pretty!

4. thepaleking says:

Well…it’s definitely great alright. I just wonder if it’s too great, y’know? I mean, are people going to remember the game, or the explosion?

5. kyrieee says:

Good luck using an MP5 at 200m

• Nick says:

Don’t some models have a 200m effective range?

• mcol says:

That probably wasn’t the plan. No plan survives first contact etc etc.
      I’ll get my war on.

• Alex Bakke says:

9mm is not effective at 200m, no matter weapon you’re using.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I thought that was quite out of place lol, for a game whos dev’s were once arguing over ArmA’s creators about which game was the true sequel to OPFP, Codemasters kept the name, Bohemia kept the game.

This game looks good the explosions are nice enough, as long as you can suspend belief of how guns and munitions actually work, it should be a fine manshoot, also assuming you don’t mind another CoD-esque game from the looks of it..

Narcissism aside I am Holding my fingers crossed for BF3 to be good, please please be good BF3.

• CMaster says:

Wiki claims that the effective range of some MP5s is indeed 200M.

• 12kill4 says:

I know I still wouldnt let you shoot one at me, even from 400m.

P.S. @ Corrupt_Tiki:

I probably wouldnt mind a CoD style game (in terms of weapon dynamics) with OPFP style level design, scope, etc. I’ve long thought that the restrictive scripting and level design were the main detractors from CoDish games, so that would solve said problem nicely (and likely create other equally irritating problems…).

• Nick says:

And not all MP5s use 9mm. Maybe its an HK53..

• Stranglove says:

It could well be a HK53, but it’s highly unlikely, seeing as the US does not use them. Still, you have guys shooting at you, it’s your natural instinct to retaliate, whether effective or not. It’s still gonna be scary for the other guy.

Andy_Panthro says:

Suprisingly, they don’t even know what it is on the movie firearms database (and yes there is such a place, and they also cover games!)

linky: http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Operation_Flashpoint:_Red_River#Unknown_Heckler_.26_Koch_MP5_variant

• Jimbo says:

HK53 is a fair shout. The gun on the guy’s back has a 9mm mag, but it doesn’t have a scope either so that isn’t necessarily a lot of help.

6. Caddrel says:

Clearly taking tips from ArmA 2 on radio communications.

• flakmonkey says:

Hopefully it will be ARMA 2 without the clunkiness.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Flakmonkey so to be the bearer of bad news, but it won’t be, it will not be anywhere near as close to ArmA 2 in scale of warsomeness.

Still hopefully will be a good game, but no, it won’t be arma 2, they already stated that they wanted more ‘game’ than ‘sim’ so that instantly puts it inline with CoD, BFBC2, etc, not bad games imho, but not without flaws either.

• Bilbo says:

@flakmonkey No mission editor. It’s OFP in name only.

• Unaco says:

@Corrupt Tiki

I think ‘Warsomeness’ is my new favourite word.

I got the ArmA/Bohemia-OFP feel from the radio comms as well. But these seem to have that slick, special forces almost-whisper-with-undercurrents-of-growliness, like he’s trying to be Clint Eastwood in a Sergio Leone movie. I’ll stick with the bad Christopher Walken impressions in ArmA though… Bohemia seem to have kept the magic that really makes OFP/ArmA, and it seems to be lacking from the Codemasters games.

7. Bilbo says:

Certainly sounds like OFP, with the radio comms. I still don’t like it.

8. GreatUncleBaal says:

Was disappointed by the last OpFlash game, am hoping this will be better. I wish games would find a better way of noting being shot than that annoying jam-splatter effect, though. What is it? Blood on their visors? Do they need Formula 1-style tear-off strips on their headgear?

9. Batolemaeus says:

Why does the first video look like a CoD and not like an OpFlash?

Colour me completely unimpressed.

10. CMaster says:

First video reaction:
    Why are you running out across an open field when you can see enemies and bullets everywhere? Idiots! (2 NPCs die, player badly wounded) – told you so.

11. Urael says:

…well…it was a kinda big boom…

…I guess…

…sorta…

When you’ve chucked nukes at cities in Civ4, or seen the blinding mega-explosions of capital ships in Nexus, it’s hard to be impressed by the amusing firecrackers OpFlash is playing with. Sorry, boys. It’s me, not you.

tomeoftom says:

Ah ah ah! World in Conflict. Still the best nukes.

• Urael says:

I sit corrected. Though it’s hard to chuck in references to games you haven’t played. :)

12. Cugel says:

Hey, that’s use of an indiscriminate weapon in a built-up area, isn’t there some kind of convention against such things?

Well, I guess it’s realistic BLUFOR-behaviour at least.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Only Amerrycans? Our forces get raped if they do any such thing…

• Cugel says:

To elaborate:

Edit:

Briefly discussed by Andrew Exum:

I think my main beef with all these “realistic” shooters (as I’ve mentioned before in another comment thread), is the lack of civilians. Portraying gear and a Central-Asian terrain perfectly, while editing out the consequences of dropping a JDAM on a village is tantamount to propaganda.

Edit: Something that can actually be amended in Arma II, as you can script consequences for collateral damage and so on.

• DrGonzo says:

You did mention it, but yeah, plenty of civilians in Arma 2 and they are easy to accidentally kill and will usually fail the mission if you do so.

• Cugel says:

Although I played very little of Dragon Rising, the setting of that game made the lack of civilians a bit more reasonable. It wasn’t too far fetched that the Skira islands had been evacuated.

Felt like a kind of Falklands deal going on, which also was a conflict with a more limited civilian presence.

• Cugel says:

In response to DrGonzo, I would argue that a game trying to realistically portray contemporary conflict would include civilian casualties, and show just how little they mean to the greater military apparatus, beyond at best an off handed apology.

• MerceAR says:

@Cugel

Of course falklands was a battle theater will low-civilian “interference”,as they all were (well,mostly) in the same place of the island!.

Skira island doesnt seem like that…there are various medium-sized villages here and there….

• Cugel says:

MerceAR: Perhaps so, but I still think it’s more believable than an entire land locked country in Central Asia being mysteriously devoid of people.

13. Captain Hijinx says:

IfMcDonaldsmadeArma.jpg

No thanks.

Got a loan of my friends copy of Dragon Rising, played it for five minutes, uninstalled, and promptly handed it right back.

14. MeestaNob says:

Video shows a Steam logo at the end as well as a GFWL one. GFWL for achievements, Steam for distribution Dawn of War style, or two separate versions (unlikely)?

Faldrath says:

Probably going to be just like F1 2010, yeah, using both Steam and, sigh, GFWL.

• Cugel says:

What if they then embedded Steam inside GFWL, creating an infinite recursion; a hyperdimensional content delivery system, with quantum-achievements that are simultaneously achieved and non-achieved?!

15. Jonas says:

Quinns, quick question that I forgot to ask in the comments of your last Red River post: can you select your weapons in Red River? You were forced to start with the weapons the game designers had picked for you in Dragon Rising, and it was a major point of irritation. Do you know if they changed that?

16. disperse says:

I think I figured out why that (ubiquitous) blood on the screen damage effect bothers me so much: if I’m wounded so badly that I’m bleeding out of my eyes then I should probably be headed for a hospital, not hiding behind cover until I ‘get better’.

• Rhin says:

The problem is that there really isn’t much demand for hospital simulators. There’s not very much gameplay value in lying a bed doped up for 2 weeks.

17. GHudston says:

I. Think. The voice acting. Will. Break. My Immersion. 200 metres.

• Fumarole says:

That was a major point of contention with me for ArmA. Yes coms-speak is supposed to be clear and concise, but I think these two take it too far. It just doesn’t sound remotely like a person talking.

• thepaleking says:

Well, they don’t spend hundreds of hours recording every variable command. They record the individual parts, which are then stitched together in-game. Thus the robotic fragmentation sound.

• royaltyinexile says:

When your game doesn’t exist in a corridor, it’s only normal to use procedural comms. No one in their right mind would record every permutation of every object, distance and direction.

That being said, much work could be done to identify the phases most commonly used (basic, basic statistical analysis) and record some lines in their entirety.

But if it comes to a choice between having any enemy, any distance away, in any direction, and in an actual environment, where I have to think and not just twitch, and being stuck in a (usually very pretty) corridor… I_will_get__over_it. At_200m.

…Never the less, buy Arma 2:OA ;)

• Jimbo says:

Needs more Zero Stitch.

18. EthZee says:

No way was that 20 seconds. ¬_¬

19. drakkheim says:

why is the sniper in the second clip standing in a field of dandelions? Little floaty swirly white fluffy particles seem kind of out of place in the desert..

• Deccan says:

The popular perception of Central Asian countries ending in “-stan” seems to be that they are nothing more than a series of valleys filled with rocks and maybe a bit of scrub. I was as surprised as anyone to see photos of vast swathes of green fields and trees. So I guess dandelions aren’t that much of a stretch.

Also, poplars! As a tabletop wargamer I have a huge nerd-on for gaming around poplars. I doubt I’ll ever get to play this game, but still. Poplars!

dangermouse76 says:

I found the original such as disappointment when it came out but now… me and a friend get it up with online story co-op and love it. The pacing is such a relief after all this action movie FPS’ing we have been doing.

What’s more I can sip whisky whilst playing it and eat a sandwich. Now that’s a game I like.

• MerceAR says:

Whoa,wait,when saying “Original” one,to which one are you refering to? to OFP OFP,or to OFP:DR

Because if you refer to OFP OFP then you’ll burn in hell forever.

But…if you refer to OFP:DR…then…you are right!

21. Sassenach says:

Are military seconds shorter then normal civilian seconds I use?

(Whoops, EthZee got to that before me)

22. crainey92 says:

Sure I’ll wait till it drops to <£5 just like before, thanks bye.

23. DigitalSignalX says:

Is it me, or did they drop a bomb the cost and weight of a Cadillac on 1 guy?

24. Stupoider says:

Are the buildings still standing after that spectacular explosion?

stahlwerk says:

okay, now i’m confused. They did model sound traveling time for the main oomph, but what was that perfectly synchronous crumbling sound when the bomb hit? Do they have Michael Winslow on the squad?

26. carbon_ says:

I can’t believe anything Codemasters says anymore. Not after getting duped out of 40 bucks with Dragon Rising.

27. Coins says:

Just Cause 2 had better explosions. Fact.

28. P3RF3CT D3ATH says: