Attack Of The Movies: Battle: Los Angeles

By John Walker on March 4th, 2011 at 1:33 pm.

Attack of the Transformers' mutant brother.

There’s a bunch of ALIENS DESTROYING THE EARTH movies coming up this year, about which I couldn’t be more pleased. Who cares how stupid they are, when there’s ALIENS DESTROYING THE EARTH? (Unless it’s ID4, and then yes, of course, I care how stupid it is. I’m not deranged.) One of these films is Battle: Los Angeles, and the trailer looks seventy-six kinds of (dumb) awesome. And last night it was announced that there’s to be a game for it. There’s a few reasons to think this may not be the usual shovelware.

To start with, it’s being published by Konami, and developed by Saber Interactive. That’s the team that produced the interesting but flawed TimeShift. Second, it’s not being spammed across all formats, from GameBoy Color to iPhone. It’s coming out as a download only on XBLA, PSN and Steam. I’m not sure why that gives me confidence in it, but it does.

Beyond that, we don’t know a huge amount. Which is a bit lame, since it’s coming out in April (with the film released next week). Konami says,

“Players will have the opportunity to relive the thrill of the movie as they assume the role of Corporal Lee Imlay [Will Rothhaar's character in the film] and fight alongside characters from the film and defend the city of Los Angeles from attacks from unknown forces.”

Then they draw breath and say that it’s,

“a high-end fast and frantic first-person shooter game that will take players through a single player campaign that mirrors the upcoming feature film. Players will assume the role of a Marine fighting against a worldwide alien invasion that has the city of Los Angeles as the major battleground and focal point for the game. Players will battle unique and varied enemies, using an arsenal of weapons throughout the game like an assault rifle, sniper rifle, rocket launcher, frag grenades, and a turret gun as they navigate the streets of Los Angeles avoiding fierce and relentless attacks. Aside from high-caliber fire fighting combat, destructible environments have been included using the Havok Destruction Module, which will allow players to destroy scaffolding structures, vehicles and overpasses to eliminate enemy forces.”

Unfortunately the berks haven’t accompanied this announcement with either a proper website or trailer, so this has to do.

, , .

1. Dominic White says:

I’m sorry, but whatever this game offers, I’m afraid it just got one-upped by the release of a pair of EDF: Insect Armageddon trailers:

Being able to ‘accidentally’ blow up large buildings with a single stray shot, or level entire city blocks with a quick salvo in the name of protecting the world from armies of enormous bugs trumps standard alien invasions any day of the week.

• Dominic White says:

I’d had strong doubts about EDF:IA, being by a third-party studio, but most of them have evaporated with those videos. My only fear now is that it’s going to be a little too fast and twitchy. The pace of the combat definitely looks faster and snappier there. I liked the slow and lumbering feel of the B-movie monsters and lazily wobbling spaceships before.

Other than that, it looks great though.

AndrewC says:

But where are the 100s of insects at one time? They are not in these videos, that’s for sure!

I do want this to be good! I do! I do! But where are my 100s of insects? Where?

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, not quite as many enemies revealed so far – that’s something that all of Sandlots games seem to have in common: They know the limits of their engine. They just go beyond them – to hell with framerate, slowdown is acceptable if there’s 100+ giant monsters on screen at once. Fingers crossed they’re just saving that for later.

That, and the big alien robots don’t bounce around like they’re made of lollipop sticks and rubber bands when shot anymore. I miss that.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

@ AndrewC: Indeed, those videos look pretty pedestrian by EDF standards. The new devs are injecting far too much sanity into proceedings.

• McDan says:

Yeah the original, I thought, was damn awesome. And just loads of fun. This is the first I’ve heard of the sequel, and much excite.

• Dominic White says:

There’s actually two sequels in the works, and a PSP port/update of one of the PS2 games in development as well. All are by the original developers, Sandlot.. except for this, which is being farmed out to the studio responsible for the Matt Hazzard games, which is mainly why I’m skeptical/cautious.

• pupsikaso says:

Um, isn’t that only on consoles?

• RegisteredUser says:

Sure, but is it coming to PC?

And on console, both non-protagonist textures and physics feel like a cheap 1990s game, with low polys thrown in for good measure.

The action and the suits and bugs look well done though, so maybe they could upgrade it from a console crapper to a real game for PC?
      That I’d be very interested in, both as co-op / PvP.

• Dominic White says:

I don’t think you really ‘get’ the series. They’re low-budget, haphazardly assembled B-movie action games, and chronic console-traitor Kieron loves em:

Complaining about low-res textures is kinda missing the point where 90% of your guns can level a city block in a single shot.

• pupsikaso says:

It’s still not coming to the PC.
      Which means… who cares about it? Or rather, why should those with a PC care about it?

• Dominic White says:

Because a lot of people here aren’t snobs, and actually own multiple systems?

2. Subject 706 says:

Dear RPS. You are delusional today, and your confidence in this game is misplaced. It will suck. (If it does not, I shall commit ritual suicide in shame.)

3. mattfaulkner says:

Minor quibble:
    This is a PC gaming site, why not post links to trailers that don’t need apple software to run? (All of the content is there on youtube, too. I’d say there are more people that have flash installed than quicktime.)

c-Row says:

Probably because it’s the official trailer and good internet etiquette usually means linking to the original source. Unless the YouTube trailer has been uploaded by Sony as well.

• nuh uh no way says:

I don’t think that’s a very healthy attitude. The PC is often shunned in favor of consoles and you feel okay just dismissing Macs? I don’t like the OS or company all that much either but computers are computers. Stop being so immature.

• GenBanks says:

Why is it more inconvenient to have a bit of apple software on your computer than to have software made by some other company to run a video?

4. Icarus says:

I enjoyed Independence Day. There, I said it.

• Moni says:

Independence Day is absolute genius.

It’s a movie that celebrates human-beings kicking tentaclely ass and how awesome kicking things that may not have asses in the ass is. It’s absolutely shameless about it and it has never been surpassed.

• Rich says:

…but a computer virus? Good job the aliens run Windows, ain’t it?

• Icarus says:

Pretty sure it was MacOS, actually.

• Rich says:

“it’s a Unix system, I know this”

• SirKicksalot says:

The scene that explained why the virus worked was left on the cutting floor. True story.

stahlwerk says:

What was the explanation?

• timmyvos says:

If I remember correctly, it’s because most of the technology which was developed since the crash of that ship was based on the technology found in the alien ship including our operating systems.

stahlwerk says:

Huh, well it does make sense for Area 51 to reverse engineer the AlienOS SDK. Good thing ETSoft didn’t patch their exploitables since 1947. ;-)

• noom says:

Independence day was a fine allegory for American arrogance. Just view the aliens as a metaphor for foreign culture and there you have it. People the world over wiping away their tears as America unites to protect them (from themselves).

• JackShandy says:

Especially the bit where america uses a computer virus to destroy iraq.

c-Row says:

ID4 was shameless popcorn entertainment. Skyline, on the other hand, was a huge stinking pile of awfulness.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Agree. It had potential, but then just catastrophically failed.

• Thants says:

The effects were very well done, considering the budget. But that’s the only good thing about it.

6. Rich says:

I will be very surprised if this is anything other than shovelware.

Anthile says:

I don’t like these games/movies. I always root for the aliens! Please let me play as one of those.

• TheTingler says:

Destroy All Humans! is the game you’re after then. Sadly not on PC, and only the first two in the series are any good – and the second isn’t playable on modern systems.

This is why we want your games on PC developers – so we can actually play them in five years’ time.

8. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Yeah…

I will go listen to Rage Against the Machine now.

9. Hybrid says:

I plan on seeing the movie, but getting the game is (as of right now) pretty unlikely. Need more info!

10. GenBanks says:

I think I probably have as much unjustified hope for the film as Mr. Walker does in the game… Sadly my rational side keeps trying to tell me it will probably be cheesy and boring.

11. J-Han says:

The cool song featured in a couple of the awesome trailers.

• Thants says:

I’m kind of looking forward to this movie but when I think about it, it may just be because of the trailer’s use of this song.

12. Davie says:

Hey, it looks alright.

What I think would be really awesome would be a subtler alien invasion movie. They invade, but in a sneaky, insidious way that requires small special ops teams rather than hundreds of marines, and tanks, and airstrikes. There’d be a lot more mystery as to the nature of the aliens, and the viewer wouldn’t conveniently have all their questions answered. It might actually make the alien invasion concept scary again.

Basically, Signs without the pseudo-religious subplot and tacked-on emotional baggage and with more guys in balaclavas exploring mysterious locations at night.

• GenBanks says:

or a retelling of the story of european colonisation of America, with native Americans replaced with humans, and europeans replaced with aliens.

So there is dialogue and trade between humans and aliens, but aliens are clearly being exploitative, leading to small scale wars which lead to large alien reprisals and even more exploitation.

now that would be an interesting film.

• poop says:

@Davie

so you want X-COM the movie?

• Bret says:

What I was about to say.

To be fair, I want an X-Com movie.

Or, better, X-Com based Band of Brothers style show. Band of Brothers rules.

13. ZIGS says:

I really liked TimeShift and still think it’s a very under appreciated game. I’ll be following this

14. pagad says:

At the moment this resembles the Halo 2 and Halo 3 Earth levels an awful lot.

15. Olivaw says:

Fuck you John Walker Independence Day rules.

16. Master_Odin says:

While I enjoyed TimeShift, the fact that Saber Interactive put no effort into supporting the Steam version makes me really apprehensive to support them again.

17. Navagon says:

So Saber Interactive are going the same way as Grin then? I suppose that’s not surprising. I liked Timeshift. But it was deja vu central and I don’t think that’s down to the time travelling. They’re not a bad developer by any means. But they have never made the big time and to be honest I was surprised to hear they’re still going at all.

18. bill says:

Does anyone get the idea that this (and other recent movies like The Sorceror’s Aprentice) were conceived purely based on the name/phrase?

It’s like someone said “hey, there’s this song called Battle of Los Angeles – that sounds like a great idea for a movie. And that was about the extent of it.

PS/ What are the other alien invasion movies coming up? Matrix 4 and 5?

19. Spectre-7 says:

I’m pretty pleased about the recent flood of alien invasion media, considering I just released an invasion novel late last year. If Battle: Los Angeles and Falling Skies turn out to be any good, I think it’ll be a great time to be in the saucers-and-rayguns business. :)

Can’t say I’m particularly optimistic about this game, though. Between being a budget release and a movie adaptation, there’s something of a foul odor to overcome. Worth keeping an eye on though, and I’m looking forward to some footage before I judge.

20. Temple to Tei says:

Ok, I know it is a necro post practically but here is a real invasion movie -Sarf London stylee.
    No really it is a proper film

21. Iskariot says:

I have no expectations at all of this Battle: LA game. Games like these almost always fail miserably and after the destruction of the Tron IP by that shamefully failed second Tron game I have given up hope for movie spin offs completely (I can’t begin to explain how disappointed I was by that game). I’m sure it will be unimaginative boring cliche stacked on unimaginative boring cliche with bad game mechanics in a game that lasts about 4 hours. These gaming miscreants slowly but surely erode the trust in the gaming industry and my willingness to spent money on games in general. What a waste. What are they thinking when they dump their distasteful products on us gamers? I’ve almost entirely stopped buying games at full price because I have learned to completely distrust everything that is sold to my as a game these days. A stack of about 30 games, I bought in the last year, is sitting there next to my PC and only one of them I bought at full price. Most of them did not set me back more than 10 euro. And the one I payed full price for I regret. Not because it is a bad game, but because of the way the people responsible misbehave with their DLC policy.

22. RegisteredUser says:

This sounds like you get to choose from machine gun, machine gun and machine gun and throw a grenade.
    And while that, it looks like you will only ever to be able to carry one main gun and maybe a sidearm.

Wanna bet?

In turn, that’s not awesome, mindboggling or superduper action, but more of the same old “one gun to bore them all” approach to shooting shit up, rather than “here’s a world of choice, GO NUTS! Switch to your hearts content. Shotgun the baddie, snipe the tower shooter, autofire on the horde, bazooka the hulk..all in the same 30 seconds.”.