Bungie MMO “Not WoW In Space”

By Jim Rossignol on March 4th, 2011 at 2:14 am.

UPDATE: Bungie later back-tracked on this, saying that the comments were “a joke.”

Could we really be seeing the slow, painful and long-overdue rebirth of the MMOFPS in 2011? A panel at GDC suggest that we might be, as Bungie lead network engineer David Aldridge said that their MMO was an action game and also not “WoW In Space.” It’s the first firm evidence of the rumoured MMO title, and the idea that it could be a mature action game too is rather exciting. (Via IGN.)

With Planetside Next, Firefall, and others arriving this year, and the Bungie MMO and others starting to form in the years beyond, we might just start to get the massive shooter horizon we were promised in 2003. (Also, we should have a rather juicy story next week, which is relevant to this line of speculation. Stay tuned!)

, .

1. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

well, even though bungie were heroes of the FPS once, us PC gamers aren’t really expecting anything but rejection from them these days, are we?

• ZIGS says:

They were heroes of the FPS genre? Well, you learn something new every day!

• Dracko says:

Look up Marathon, also a little game called Halo.

• Eightball says:

I think I heard of em. Those are like battlefield mods, right?

• Dracko says:

Nah, you must be thinking of Pathways into Darkness.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Marathon I get. Halo, though? Overrated!

• Oak says:

Yeah, it’s not as if it was a great shooter that set the standard for how to do a console FPS correctly.

• Batolemaeus says:

I only remember halo as having horribly outdated graphics and mechanics when it came out. And no modding support either, iirc.

It basically looked like Half Life, but didn’t play as well and Half Life was already really old by that point.

• Rich says:

“I only remember halo as having horribly outdated graphics and mechanics when it came out.”
      When it came out on the PC, yes. But it made those mechanics on consoles. Probably had the best control scheme too. Golden Eye’s controls sucked.

• P7uen says:

@Rich

How dare you, sir, I spill my drink!

I am much better and more accurate at shooting the bullets from guns in Goldeneye on an insane-sex-toy looking controller than I am on any current or last gen console.

Bloody accelerating aiming dead zone analogue twin sticky stuff, eurgh.

• Araxiel says:

@Rich: “When it came out on the PC, yes. But it made those mechanics on consoles. Probably had the best control scheme too.”

That’s like saying: “When they came out as pastry, yes. But urinal cakes really revolutionised the piss pott.”

• sneetch says:

I liked Halo, great game, loved the little way it was structured. Goldeneye did kick its arse in terms of controls though… or maybe it was just that the N64 controller kicked the crap out of the Xbox one (the slim ones anyway).

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

Halo is basically the Half-Life of the console shooters, 3 years after Half-Life.

Goldeney is the Quake of the console shooters.

Or something like that.

I don’t have a console.

• Delusibeta says:

@Oak: No, that was GoldenEye.

• MadMatty says:

I think Halo and Goldeneye were great, i completed both while having a great time. Nothing *THAT* outstanding about their ideas, but they were just very well put together. Halo and Goldeneye did a great job on keeping the action and settings varied.
      The N64 controller is no Counterstrike-winner, but since i played Goldeneye in singleplayer, and the enemies werent that fast, it somehow turned out ok.

• Potentaint says:

Halo: CE is probably my favorite FPS of all time. Firing up my Xbox and playing co-op with my high school buddies 10 years ago was the best gaming experience I’ve ever had. I don’t think any game will ever recapture that experience for me, and certainly not at my age.

• Evernight says:

OP is forgetting Bungie’s roots were in PC gaming. Bungie only went XBOX exclusive thanks to hefty $$$$ from Mircosoft. Look up a little game called Myth.

• bleeters says:

@ Evernight

Thing is, they may’ve been rooted in PC games to begin with, but it’s been nothing but an apparent afterthought ever since the first Halo nearly a decade ago. Besides, Microsoft luring them away by throwing sacks with dollar signs their way just makes me more skeptical of their efforts, and why shouldn’t it?

• Dracko says:

Halo, though? Overrated!

Not any more than Half-Life 2 is.

Though if you want over-rated and selling like hotcakes, there’s Call of Duty.

• Jad says:

Halo 1′s multiplayer was fun and did some neat stuff. The vehicles were well integrated, the weapons were varied and interesting, the shield recharging mechanic was novel, and it was colorful and clean.

Halo: CE’s singleplayer was shit. Specifically the level design. The Library level was absolutely terrible and cannot and should not be excused. The levels prior to it had moments of brilliance that were copy-and-pasted over and over again ad nauseum. I don’t know what the levels after the Library were like, because I had no desire to continue.

But the multiplayer was fun. Totally can understand why someone would think back very fondly about it if it was your first MP shooter — I feel the same way about QuakeWorld (which was awesome! woo go Quake 1! wooo!)

• bildo says:

@ Tusque
      Bungie were heroes of FPS. After Halo though, I’m sad to say, they shriveled up. Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach are 100% overrated. It’s sad to see such a sweet history get flushed down the toilet after they made a Super Mega Game.

@ Drako

HL2 overrated. Ha! So, really, where does the overrated train stop?

• Wilson says:

I’m with Jad on thinking the level design was terrible at times. I never really played it multiplayer, and it sounds like that was where a lot of the fun was. My only notable memory of Halo was the horrendous repeated corridors somewhere around the middle of the game. I don’t recall finding it especially good or especially bad in terms of gameplay, but those copy-pasted corridors alone swing my opinion towards dislike.

2. malkav11 says:

Reaction to Bungie breaking off from Microsoft: “Sweet, now they can make something that isn’t the boring blandosity of Halo ad infinitum. Perhaps we will see a new franchise the equal of the storied days of Marathon or Myth!”
    Now: -cry-

• Rich says:

Oh, for a Marathon MMO.

• Bret says:

I dunno.

Do you seriously want to hear “Thank god it’s you” and “they’re everywhere” five hundred times a minute?

• DigitalSignalX says:

I was very glad too to see them break free of their console overlord, but will reserve judgment on the new thing™ until we actually see something.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t need to know anything at all about it to know that I would rather have them making excellent singleplayer games rather than yet another MMO.

3. Juiceman says:

I never got a chance to play Mag, no PS3, so if it is something along those lines I will be interested to hear more.

4. NegativeZero says:

This is basically Bungie going back to their earlier plans for Halo a decade ago. Back when they demoed the game (Macworld 1999) it was going to be a team-based online game with a persistent world (though it had started out as a Sci-Fi version of Myth).

Looking forward to seeing this. The world needs a new Planetside.

5. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

I’m tuned! I’m tuned!

6. wazups2x says:

Well that sucks, I hate MMO’s.

7. Jake says:

not “WoW In Space.”

By this he probably means that it’s just not in Space. He probably means it’s a massive WoW clone but it’s set on a planet, or some sort of giant ring world thingy.

I know it’s heresy on a PC website, but (most of) Halo is amazing – the series is redeemed with Reach – and Bungie make the best games. The best! Marathon was better than Doom as well!

• Dracko says:

I don’t know if the Marathon games were better than DooM, but they were certainly engaging works in their own rights, and not just from the perspective of story or atmosphere. 5D levels and physics!

The Halo PC port by Gearbox is excellent, and it still has a highly active modding community. Hell, apparently the demo is still downloaded quite frequently. We don’t talk about 2, though, let alone the Vista port.

If 343 Industries ever decided to port Reach to PC, that would be pretty grand. Doubt that will ever happen, though.

• wazups2x says:

Reach was nothing special. Campaign was okay and the multiplayer got boring very quickly.

• Atomosk says:

“MMO” =/= “MMORPG”

MMO could mean anything multiplayer now days, it’s just a buzz word to get investors.

Like someone else said, it could be a combination of Halo and Plantside which could be really cool.

• MattM says:

LOVED Halo 1 on the PC. I replay the campaign every 18 months or so. You do need to play on heroic or legendary through. On easy or normal you can get by using a same guns and limited tactics. On legendary you really have to match you weapons and tactics to the situation.
      Unfortunately, Halo 2 just wasn’t as fun for me. The campaign is polished and has some nice set pieces, but the carbine and battle rifle kinda ruin the balance by being all around good weapons that can kill at long range. Legendary isn’t as much fun either. The covenant take way to much damage and you can only take a few hits. The player is forced to use some cheesy tactics to take them out and the less aggressive AI lets them. There is also a broken spot near the beginning. You have to ferry more weapons than you can carry from one room to another just to have enough ammo to take out a covenant boarding party. If you didn’t know about this ahead of time you can’t get the guns since the game engine cleans the weapons up.
      Still waiting on the rest of the Halo series to get ported. It makes me laugh whenever Microsoft talks about supporting PC gaming but cant be arsed to port a multi-million selling game. Why would anyone else want to use GFWL when it isn’t even good enough for Microsoft’s own games.

8. dsi1 says:

Maybe Bungie will successfully sponge up the blue horde that plauged Planetside. Not much else it can do though, Planetside Next is coming after all.

9. TechRogue says:

I’m looking forward to seeing what they do cross-platform-wise. I remember when Halo was going to be released on Mac OS and Windows simultaneously until Bungie was bought by Microsoft. In addition, I saw Myth 2 on Loki Games’ (the now-defunct Linux porting studio) products page, so I have hopes.

Kirrus says:

Could be interesting. I guess this is just a ‘watch this space’ thing rather than a ‘get all excited’ thing

11. Gaff says:

If your story next week is PlanetSide Next-related I will put you all in my will.

12. Hoaxfish says:

Marathon (FPS)
    Myth (rts, no base-building, dwarf explosives)
    Oni (intricate martial arts and guns anime 3ps-combat)
    Halo (FPS “revolution”)

yea, I still have respect for Bungie… and I don’t think the Halo series’ “long life” should be taken as a negative thing (not having being PC meant I can’t play them, but the reviews always seem to say they had innovation compared to stuff coming out of activision). Their back-catalog is varied in both game-style and setting.

Now if it were Blizzard saying that their next MMO wasn’t “WoW in space” I think this’d be a much bigger surprise.

13. Surgeon says:

“Not WoW In Space”

So just Meh In Space then…

14. vodka and cookies says:

Well the rumors have been saying its an FPS in space so this just confirms what everyone already suspected.

It will be interesting to see what platforms this game shows up on, PC gamers have no love for Bungie all of their fans reside on the Xbox which is were their brand name means something. Microsoft is not too keen on MMO’s through Xbox Live and Activision is not too keen on sharing revenue as having to go through Microsofts servers is a requirement.

A PC only title seems unlikely given the above so I’m guessing Activision are going to give in and give MS a cut but how many Xbox Live gold subscribers are going to pay another fee for the game and then another subscription on top of that, my guess is it will some sort of partial free to play title.

15. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I wonder how the assimilation by Microsoft has affected Bungie. I’ve speculated in the past that the Bungie of old is never to return. As much as I’d like to see it, that specific spark of creativity and their support of the Mac are probably gone if not highly diluted.

But we’ll see. They may surprise us all yet.

16. Wanoah says:

Man, I hate it when my shoes fork.

17. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Anyone remember that leaked Blizzard release schedule?

Sounds like the rumours were true! We’ll see how it’s called. I have my money on “Titan”.

Edit: Before you all go “wtf, how does Blizzard have anything to do with Halo in this article”, on another (Dutch) new site it said Bungie had signed a 10 year contract with Activision (= Blizzard).

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Titan is Blizzard’s thing, Bungie’s MMO is Activision’s thing. They’re two different games.

18. Kaira- says:

MMO in the world of Myth might be quite interesting. But on the other hand, I loathe MMOs.

19. Kaira- says:

Shoes, for kings.

20. Jimbo says:

Console subscription MMOFPS. It’s the last (or at least the most obvious next) untapped WoW-sized cash-cow left to be found. Nobody is ever gonna be better placed to find it than Activision are right now.

21. squareking says: