Bounty Stumper: Lego Star Wars III Trailer

By John Walker on March 5th, 2011 at 12:14 am.

My Lego figures never had guns like that.

Hoo hoo hoo, I can’t wait for Lego Star Wars III (warning: hideous, annoying website). Despite the quite remarkably boring opening to the 360 demo that I didn’t bother playing past. Also, hello former writer for PC Gamer who makes the Lego Star Wars games – how about a PC demo? Eh? Anyway, there’s a new CGI trailer/cutscene for it out of GDC and it made me laugh. Hence: post.

But then it always makes me laugh when people’s arms fall off. The game is out on the 22nd March. It’d better be good, or I’ll have wasted my time looking forward to it.

, , .

1. Oak says:

It costs 400,000 spacebucks to fire this weapon for 12 seconds.

2. Shawnious says:

Wow, he gave some sweet head.

3. Urael says:

Shut it, you tart. Website = AWESOME. Jus’ takes a little patience, is all.

4. Adam says:

WOW, just wow. I may be picking this up for my 2 yr old nephew, and I might watch him play it for 15 minutes or so. Is funny thou.

stahlwerk says:

No. Hyperbole or not, the The Old Republic “cg” trailers looked absolutely spectacular.

6. Pantsman says:

@stahlwerk: I believe he said “TOR”, not “pre-rendered cinematics promoting TOR which bear little resemblance to TOR”.

WombatDeath says:

Ooh, which former PCG writer? If it’s not one that I liked, I shall instruct my hired goons to administer an appropriate corrective response to their treachery.

8. omicron1 says:

Lego Star Wars III: The Cone Wars – traffic will never be the same.

9. Mr_Initials says:

Eh i wish lucasarts would do something more like star wars republic commando again

Kirrus says:

Welcome back from your outage :)

11. Baka says:

Question: Which of these games should my buddy and I pick up if we want to start with the Lego games? There are a ton of them right now, some of ‘em are reputed to be pretty mediocre. They all support online co-op, right? Batman, Indy, Star Wars, doesn’t matter, main issue would be a fun(ny) game.

• Tomm says:

Almost certainly the first two Star Wars games. I played through these with a buddy and had tremendous fun despite never having seen any of the Star Wars films.

• Urael says:

If you go for Star Wars get the complete edition. Not only does that buff the first trilogy up to the standards of the second trilogy game but it adds a bunch of new stuff, too. And you can play as Indy!

12. Ravenger says:

Lego Star Wars the original trilogy is the only one I’ve really enjoyed and got addicted to. I did get Batman and Indiana Jones, but I think once you’ve played one you’ve played them all.

13. Nick says:

The second one where Jedis were able to hadooken and survive grenade blasts wasn’t awesome.

stahlwerk says:

@Pantsman, point taken, but there’s nothing “in-game” about this trailer as well. I’m still trying to feel excited about TOR, because it’s star wars and with a budget and dev-time like that they just can not fail. Because if they do, they will shatter my capitalistic believe that Money = 1 / Problems, and what else is there to live for in this world besides maximum moolah?

15. RogB says:

nothing ‘in-game’ about that cutscene?

all next gen LSW cutscenes are performed realtime ‘in-game’ using the same assets, environment assets, rendering techniques as the normal game.
    its not just a video playback of unrelated stuff with a fancy renderer a’la Blur studios.

its not showing -gameplay- but it is very much in-game.

16. Bilbo says:

I’m not really interested in this one, despite having a lingering attachment to the previous two Lego Star Wars titles. I sort of feel like it’s run its course, you know?

• DrGonzo says:

Yep, but I think Travellers Tales realise that. I don’t think they will be sticking with this formula for more than this game.

• Shark says:

i hope this wont be another indy 2

stahlwerk says:

@RogB VVVV Duly noted. :-)

What I meant is that both this and the TOR “cinematic trailers” are non-interactive, mostly unrelated to story, and released as PR pre release. And in a trailer vs. trailer contest, IMO TOR is looking better.

But I acknowledge that maybe the intended OP-message was “This looks way more fun and fresh than TOR’s gritty realisticnessity”, so I shall drop this subject now. The LSW games are fun, their art style is nice (although I don’t dig the increased “realism” in shading), TOR has insane production values (in cutscenes) but looks like KOTOR v2.5 otherwise.

18. Bilbo says:

I think the main thing is that there’s a delineation between gameplay trailers and cinematic trailers, and much as I want to be excited about TOR and much as I’ve enjoyed the cinematic trailers, the gameplay trailers have been pretty lacklustre and uninspiring.