APB Reloaded: A Trailer, Beta News

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2011 at 8:45 am.

So APB Reloaded is now going into its second week of beta, and the APB Reloaded blog has a full breakdown of what took place during the first week. If only all beta-tests were so transparently documented! The team have also released a trailer for the game, which is currently undergoing lots of tweaking for both balance and performance. The trailer shows a car-chase, and it looks like the APB we knew and were indifferent toward. Nevertheless I am still fascinated to see whether this free-to-play company is going to get the game right after its multi-million dollar catastrophe. The closed beta sign ups are done, but there’s a newsletter here if you want to keep an eye out for further developments.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Crimsoneer says:

There is a full trailer on the website:

2. godgoo says:

I never played or paid much attention to the original but this looks wholly uninspiring, I guess they have the free to play element on their side.

3. poop says:

not shown: criminal player losing escape mission for hiting physics objects, enjoying self

4. skyturnedred says:

I thought I already had a beta key, but turns out it was just Beta Key Application Key. Silly me.

5. alice says:

Seriously considering a re-download/install just to play with that character creator some more, it has ruined me for other creating my own character in other games.

Also, I find it fascinating reading their blog that they really do seem to have inherited the game with little direction from the original devs as to how to run it long-term. I think it would be interesting (if I could be bothered) to follow the process as they try to rebalance and fix things in a game that they had no part in creating.

6. Popish Frenzy says:

Not..exactly a high speed car chase..maybe thats why, but i found it slightly unpleasant to watch.

• DSR says:

Are you INSANE?
      Police is ALREADY chasing after him. Do you think its a great idea to add “breaking the speed limit” to his crimes?
      No? Me too!.

• Hoaxfish says:

Clearly the guy in front had dropped some bullets without noticing. The policeman, being a good-minded citizen, thought it a good idea to chase after him and return them to their rightful owner. Not wanting to waste time, he also knew that bullets can be quickly transfered by launching them from a gun.

7. MD says:

I haven’t played it, and for all I know it could be great. But this doesn’t seem like very good advertising — a slow-paced car chase through an eerily sterile world.

8. mda says:

Why, in the screenshot, does the character have a nicely curved boob, back and arm, but obviously polygon head? >_<

9. qeloqoo says:

I’m really not sure f2p (items for cash, most likely) can fix balance problems in APB… Before it were faction rep grinders with OP guns obliterating everything. Now it’ll be cash shop customers.

10. SpaceAkers says:

My few hours with the pre-release beta of the original APB consisted largely of running along roads and looking at crates.

11. mollemannen says:

i remember being interested in apb around 2004-2005 when the game were mostly concept art on a webzen page somewhere. discovered it when i was checking out huxley (were did that game go?). anyway i imagined the game being more of a role playing type of thing, kinda like the Life mods for arma. not only being concentrated around stupid and bland missions in the style of “protect two cars” or “you need to open three doors and put/get something in there”.

12. Bilbo says:

“This car chase is being done for a trailer. We shall both drive really slowly. After a reasonable amount of time, I will stop so you can shoot bullets at me from your gun. Hopefully this will make people want to play the game.” Players don’t play it this way, the game isn’t fun, work on that.

13. jplayer01 says:

Oh, hey, at least it’s realistic. The police car drove over a civilian … the police here actually managed to do that last week. >_>

14. Jimmeh says:

I’m not sure any amount of money or good will can turn this toss into something enjoyable. I was foolish enough to give into peer pressure and buy at launch with friends.

The 10 hours or so I invested can never be reclaimed, but I shall honour their memory by not putting any into “Reloaded”.

15. GoodPatton says:

Sooo, Midtown Madness is back?

16. Chaz says:

What a dull car chase. Although I say car chase, really they looked to me more like two weighty hovercraft leisurely floating around the city streets.

17. SquareWheel says:

Fool me once…

18. bascule42 says:

So I take it it’s not WSAD movement controls anymore, but point and click?

19. Tei says:

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    I know these streets like the back of my hand. I am happy.
    Also, do you see that part where the cop avoid running over a peasant? thats the worst part of being a cop. I normally take a rocket launcher and camp near the gas station…. A rocket is how I say “Hello” to outlawders :D

Also, the new lighting looks purty :3

20. Malibu Stacey says:

The blog page is rather interesting. Their only servers are in LA at present & they specifically mention they know the latency from the UK is going to be bad. No shit sherlock? 200-300ms latency wasn’t acceptable on dial-up back in 1996 for QuakeWorld & that’s not changed in the 15 intervening years (unless I missed a meeting).

Basically if you’re not in the US, don’t bother trying to beta test.

21. Arkendi says:

Hello RPS, long time listener, first time caller.

I registered to point out that this is not a “game trailer” meant to showcase the final game, but rather one of five short videos detailing the improvements they are making to car chases.

The vehicle shown in this specific video is the new starter car, and it has the lowest specs of any car in the game. This chase is boring for two reasons: One, it’s the weakest car in the game by design, and two, it’s meant to show the new vehicle handling. In the original APB, this vehicle would have flipped in several areas of this video due to hitting a curb or something.

The other four videos released with this one can be found here:

Again, they’re showing off the new handling, they’re not showing off the game itself.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Unfortunately for them the “new” handling doesn’t look much better than the old handling. It’s still floaty & skates all over the place in that video. The part where it goes up & down the incline ramp shows it off at its worst.

FYI I played all my allotted hours in the “Key to the City” beta (including the ‘bonus’ time they gave out) but I haven’t bothered signing up for the new beta yet despite numerous invites.

• Zyrusticae says:

I don’t see what’s noteworthy about the starter vehicle being “floaty” and “skat(ing) all over the place”. It’s a cheap, heavy vehicle with equally cheap tires. Of course it’s not going to look particularly fun to drive.

At least watch the other videos. I’m a big fan of the Fresno’s crazy suspension, myself. And the Vacquero… hoo, boy!

22. Zyrusticae says:

I am dismayed by the number of respondents who have obviously not read a single entry on the developers’ blog.

A lot of the faults being poked at in this very comment thread are, in fact, being fixed. It’s a damn shame people are so unwilling to give second chances…

23. Moonracer says:

I tried signing up for the beta since I bought the darn first version. Sadly they sent me through too many loops and I gave up.

24. Ayam says:

Can’t wait; trying to complete missions with so much randomness going on around me was an awesome feeling. Not too keen on rooftop campspots and the 1 in 5 matches ruined by aimbots, but when it got into an 8 vs 8 pug fight, it was the kind of chaos I love in gaming.

Comment on this story