Augmentation In August: Deus Ex 3 Dated

By Lewie Procter on March 8th, 2011 at 8:10 am.

Alice? I wonder who that is...

Holy dooley! I bring exciting news from EB Games Australia. They’ve announced that, in Australia and New Zealand at least, Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be getting released on the 25th of August (EDIT: the UK will be getting it on the 26th). That probably means it’ll be out in the rest of the planet on a similar timescale, so put a big circle round the month of August in your calendar. Just five months off, so I bet Eidos Montreal are flat out like a lizard drinking getting the game finished.

They’ve also got a trio of shiny new screenshots for us to squizz at. The first one is up there, and the second two are down there:

Strueth, that's a right old bloody mess.

That appears to be some kind of combat-ute.

Don’t be a dag, get it preordered.

, .

1. Hybrid says:

We’ll be getting a better game in the end so the wait is worth it.

2. Drakon says:

Aww man, they’ve missed my birthday by 12 days, but eh, close enough.

• Dhatz says:

in my case by 5

sockeatsock says:

only 1. AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW YYYEEEEEEEEEEEE.
      Still not going to preorder though. All those dollars! All those dollars.

• Shatners Bassoon says:

Four days for me. But we can all spend the August Bank Holiday weekend playing with the curtains closed. Yay!

Makariel says:

9 days…

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Wait for it, any minute now. Someone is going to say it…

EDIT: Nope, no one said ‘no, in six months’

• Teddy Leach says:

The day before my birthday! I’m so happy!

• cjlr says:

Parents keeping warm in the midwinter, eh?

‘cept now I’m curious as to birth-date statistics for the hivemind. Men of War: Assault Squad came out on my birthday, y’know.

3. Optimaximal says:

Who wants to bet it slips?

The Sombrero Kid says:

Given the original release date was for February and the Publisher put it back solely to make their FY 2011 look better there isn’t a chance in hell it’ll slip.

4. MrMud says:

Its a bit of a strange release date. Isnt august traditionally to much in summer for a high profile game?

• StingingVelvet says:

Publishers seem to be learning lately that releasing everything great in the same 3 month span is stupid.

Thank God.

phlebas says:

Bioshock did ok with an August release, as I recall.

• el_Chi says:

Actually it’s quite a good move. Day of Sex: Human Resources is a high-profile, much-anticipated, cross-platform AAA title which has potential for excellent sales.

If you think about the other high-profile, cross-platform AAA sequels this year, August is pretty much the only time DX:HR can be certain of maximum exposure.

March-April: Crysis 2/Dragon Age II
      April-May: Portal 2
      May-June: Duke Nukem Forever
      LARGE GAP (unless I’ve missed something)
      September-October: Gears of War 3 (ok, not cross-platform, but why would you go up against that?)
      “Holiday 2011″: Mass Effect 3

Doesn’t matter what heritage DX:HR has or how good it looks, Deus Ex is still a previous-generation franchise and would be fucking stupid to go head-to-head with those.

• Bennus says:

There’s the little indie development Battlefield 3 in ‘autumn’ too.

• Pantsman says:

And don’t forget the hotly anticipated flying car simulator, Sky Rims, due in November.

• Jimbo says:

I reckon it’s the perfect spot for this game, right before the juggernauts start rolling out for the holiday. It’s been proven that it can work well for games which have some pedigree but are still relatively unknown quantities, like Bioshock in ’07 and Arkham Asylum in ’09.

They could sell ~3m copies here if it reviews well and nobody puts significant competition* up against it, which I expect they’d be very happy with. If it does slip (I can’t see it) they need to slip into the new year, because they’ll get crushed between mid-Sept and Thanksgiving.

I don’t think we’ll see Battlefield 3 until closer to Thanksgiving, because I think EA know this is their best chance to give CoD a bloody nose.

*I guess XCOM is a possibility if that’s still coming out this year.

5. Benjamin L. says:

I’m OK with that, as long as it’s for bugfixing/polishing and not because somebody decided it didn’t look enough like The Hit Games Of Today and needed ‘fixing’.

6. Spatula says:

Happy to wait… by then i may actually be able to afford a game… damn babies are expensive lol

Cinek says:

Bleah, that’s looooong… and I already made a preorder. ~_~
    Well, there’s one good point in it – it won’t come out at the same time The Witcher 2 does, so I’ll be able to give both games attention they deserve. I really hope though they expand the game and make it as polished as it gets. :)

• mmrik says:

Yeah, I agree.
      On one hand, I’m bummed that “Early 2011″ now apperantely means August. On the other hand, more witchin time with the witcher.

8. Longrat says:

Squizz = Squint + jizz?

9. Kadayi says:

Well, good we have a date but I must admit I was hoping the talk of April was accurate. Still if it’s a more polished experience for the extra few months that’s all good. Word on the street is this has GoTY written all over it.

• Longrat says:

People tend to forget that delays are almost always a good sign. If a company decides to accept the financial perils that come with a delayed release in order to make a game better, that means without any doubt that the company wants to release a game that’s as good as it can be. Takes balls to delay a release, and this delay makes me very pleased.

• Kadayi says:

Though of course that does mean DNF will be the greatest game ever made Longrat ;)

• Longrat says:

Okay, let me fix my statement:
      A delay is good as long as the developers aren’t lazy sods who are too busy playing world of warcraft all day long instead of doing their jobs!

• Ian says:

The joke’ll be on you when Yahtzee’s “pre-emptive” DNF review proves itself 100% correct.

• Xercies says:

Delays sometimes are a good thing, but sometimes it has nothing to do with fixing the game and just waiting for a less busy month, in that time no work really is being done on the game probably, but work might be done on all the DLC.

• Kadayi says:

George Brossard will have the last laugh ;)

• skinlo says:

I reckon Portal 2 has potential to be game of the year, although this, ME3 and BF3 all have potential.

Crimsoneer says:

Wow, that’s one hell of a slip. I’m vaguely hoping one of the Ubi higher ups is a DX fananatic and told them to take their damn time and make sure the release is quite literally the second coming.

Mungrul says:

Sorry, this comment confused me; isn’t the publisher Eidos / Square Enix?

• cheese lol says:

I’m sure there are lots of DX fanatics in the development community, being the game it is.

The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m sure he meant Eidos.

• Alaric says:

Crimsoneer, I want you to know that I hate you. You thoroughly frightened me when you said Ubi, because I loved Deus Ex and really want to play this new game, but have been boycotting Ubisoft since their latest fit of DRM knavery began. Not being able to play it would have made me even more bitter and cynical than I am right now, which, some argue, is impossible.

11. Col says:

I thought it was supposed to be coming out around April? Or is that just for the Xbawgs and PS3?

• Lewie Procter says:

Twas originally set for an April release, but they delayed it.

Pretty sure it’s going to be released on all formats at the same time.

The Sombrero Kid says:

Nope, the only release date it was ever given was February and then at the last quarterly stockholder meeting it was delayed to the next financial year for financial reasons this led everyone, myself included, to say it’d be April.

• Lewie Procter says:

Oh, my silly memory.

12. coldvvvave says:

Best pants textures ever.

• godgoo says:

I was scanning these images for y-fronts before I realised that you’re probably American.

• Jamison Dance says:

Austrian, eh? WELL PUT ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE, THEN!

13. faelnor says:

Don’t be a dag, get it preordered.

Not a chance.

14. Longrat says:

My release date is augmented.

15. Muzman says:

At least this time the cafes, bars etc will be as big as they appeared in the screenshots.

16. poop says:

man this “alpha protocol” game sure looks spiffy! what a shame they delayed it, but surely this means that an extra five months on the release will allow them to fix all those nasty bugs!

• Rond says:

I bet it’s finished already, and as we heard before Squenix is just delaying it out of economical reasons.

• poop says:

Verily I do declare good sir that this much anticipated “Daikatana” title sounds exquisite! more time to develop means less bugs, as my mother always said! I say!

17. Yehat says:

So, within six months?

• Quasar says:

No. Within six months.

hexapodium says:

The situation is getting desperate.

• Dozer says:

The tertiary product should be on sale within six months. It is currently undergoing preparation and will be operational within six months. My people will continue to report on it’s progress. Within six months.

• Bennus says:

We’ve had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be a new DX running the world.

18. Quasar says:

What a shame.

19. Alex Bakke says:

AUG-ust.

20. cheese lol says:

I can’t wait until August so that chef can cook me something. Soy food and candy bars are sorta losing their taste.

21. bigtoeohno says:

Please don’t plug eb games their the biggest rip offs going. I was in there this week trading in some dusty ps3 games when I spotted 2 yr old games with release prices. Even new releases are 10 bucks more than your average super mart thing chain. That info has blood on its hands man.

• Lewie Procter says:

It’s not really a plug, more of a source.

I would encourage you to buy it from whichever local retailer/online retailer/download service represents the best value.

Crimsoneer says:

Thanks to Lewie I got the Augmented edition for 28 quid on Amazon awhile back :)

• bigtoeohno says:

Oh of course it just frustrating because eb started of as a great store with good (for brick and mortar) pprices as well as friendlest of geeks working the counter with a surprisingly impressive wealth of knowledge. It was for gamers. Now not 5 years on through the destructive force of franchising its unrecognizable. I realise I’m on a rant I can just remember a time when you could spend hours at your local tech store arguing over the best set up or game or simply being humbled by the IT genius who just helped you through apparently the most moronic of pc troubles who I might add would only for a moment bask in your stupidity (the internet can be harsh) all without pulling out you wallet. Hmmm

22. spindaden says:

I would never normally trust a release date from a retailer, but this being posted here gives it instant credibility. What makes this supposed release date different from previous random guesses that retailers have put on their sites?

• poop says:

a french site that previously had one of those bullshit flashy official looking countdowns on the front page now has august as its release date as well http://www.micromania.fr/

• Lewie Procter says:

This isn’t just a case of a retailer placing a date on their listing for a game and it being reported as if it wasn’t just made up.

This is the retailer specifically announcing the release date. Presumably because the publisher let them.

• DoveBrown says:

Not to disparage a random French website but how sure are we that this isn’t just the usual publisher thing of screwing the guys down under with a six month later release date?

• spindaden says:

Ahh that is different then.
      I was wrong to doubt your journalistic moxie.

The Sombrero Kid says:

& Eidos Montreal said on their twitter i think the EB Australia would be announcing the date this week, i remember thinking it was weird at the time.

23. MD says:

Pre-ordering is a terrible idea, and sends a terrible message to games publishers, in the only language they understand.

24. coldvvvave says:

But I can’t preorder it on Steam.

25. JohnnyMaverik says:

Awww, what happened to April? :(

Ah well, if it means it’s a more polished game I’m down with it I guess.

26. torchedEARTH says:

As long as they use that time to perfect the sections where you kill children and set fire to tramps then you’ll get no complaints from me.

27. reticulate says:

While I appreciate more time being given to spit n polish, this is a pretty cynical move by Squeenix to prop up their financials.

Mostly I’m just annoyed I have to wait until August to play the bloody thing because Final Fantasy has gone down the crapper.

28. Howard_Roark says:

Those screens look delicious. The Deus Ex series has been one of my favorites and I am looking forward to the new edition.

As for pre-ordering.. I think I have pre-ordered for the last time. With patches rolling out almost immediately and seemingly on a monthly basis, and DLC packs costing extra and announced before the game goes gold, I am convinced to just wait for the all-inclusive and far cheaper GoTY edition. I may be 6-months behind the times but I care less and less about such things anymore.

29. obvioustroll says:

Ugh! It will be hot in august, playing games in hot weather is just wrong.

Not that I don’t do it.

30. superemmjay says:

NOW I’m believing it, David Anfossi is retweeting the Announcement: http://twitter.com/#!/ffring/status/45020109722488832

Tunips says:

My self imposed media blackout had apparently led me to think it was coming out late march. While this new date is a bit disappointing, it frees up a slot for one of the other games coming out soon I’ve been ignoring. Perhaps AssCreedBro, or … ooh – From Dust is supposed to be out soon.
    No, wait. Dino D-Day. Yes.

32. 12kill4 says:

Of all the Australian stereotypes you had to go with the drinking lizard? Ugh, what a shame.

33. Teddy Leach says:

Oh my god, Daddy!

34. Emperor_Jimmu says:

It is good to see that the bucket continues to be a vital surgical implement in the future.

35. spelvin spugg says:

Uhhh… I hope the bottom screenshot doesn’t show some sort of duck-and-cover mechanic.

• DoctorBrain says:

It sure does! It even switches to third person for you, so you can magically see over or around whatever you are taking cover behind.

Yeah, the FPS elements have obviously been casualified since DE1.

• Navagon says:

You do realise that while all of those are probably rendered using the game engine, none of them are screenshots? The lack of UI and a weapon should be a clue.

36. Navagon says:

It’s looking like an absolute must-have game. But even that doesn’t make it an absolute must-pre-order game. Not with my backlog.

37. Rath says:

Has anybody else bothered reading the tie-in novel? I found it rather enjoyable, if a tad fan-service oriented.