Towering Majesty: Defenders of Ardania

By Jim Rossignol on March 8th, 2011 at 5:10 pm.

The good old Barbecue Tower
Ah, the sweet smell of tower defence in the afternoon. Paradox’s Defenders of Ardania is a fancy-lookin’ take on the genre with one of those “you can also be the attacker” type spins on proceedings that bestrides both a single-player game and 4-player multimangaming. It’s set in the world of Majesty, with all its characteristic overwrought fantasy silliness, and is looking pretty slick. Take a look at the first trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Commisar says:

interesting, a tower defense game with majesty’s humor

2. satsui says:

Looks like it’s running the same engine as Majesty. I can’t see standalone tower games ever being successful.

3. Lars Westergren says:

I thought it was set in the silly fantasy world of Magicka. Seems I was wrong.

4. alice says:

Maybe I just am used to seeing the name all the time now, but have Paradox always been this busy with the releases or is this a new thing?

• Archonsod says:

They’ve always had a fairly solid output. Actually marketing them is new though. They used to be like JoWood, steady stream of releases and zero advertising.

5. Plivesey says:

I am pretty disappointed at how little it looks like a Majesty game.

6. CrazyBaldhead says:

Right.

7. Shadram says:

Since I can’t comment on the front page…

“Better than a bag full of dicks.” Really? That’s Quintin’s work, surely?

8. geldonyetich says:

Looks a lot like a re-skinned Defense Grid: The Awakening to me. Probably isn’t, though, since I’m pretty sure Hidden Path isn’t in Paradox’s pocket.

• Man Raised by Puffins says:

Indeed, although I quite liked the Defence Grid approach to tower defence so seeing it cloned isn’t entirely bad news in my eyes.

9. MrEvilGuy says:

I don’t like the music – it sounds just like the music in Majesty 2. And I didn’t like the music in Majesty 2.

I hope they have that Sean Connery sound-alike playing some role in this game.

10. Tokamak says:

I’m not one to normally bitch at graphics, but the attack/effects animations look extremely amateurish. When the core of the game is so simple, you’d thin they’d at least try to make it a bit more polished, no?

Comment on this story