Orion: Prelude, Now With More Dinosaur

By Jim Rossignol on March 9th, 2011 at 11:40 pm.

Orion: Prelude seems to be getting a fair bit of press. Why is that? Well, it’s because the game features Tribes-like jetpacks, Halo-like jeeps and, uh, Cretaceous-era-like dinosaur, Tyrannosaurus. (In fact their recent email to us the devs finished the subject line with (DINOSAURS!) just to be clear, or maybe because they still can’t quite believe it. These chaps from Spiral were showing all this stuff at GDC, AND I DIDN’T GET TO SEE IT FOR SOME REASON, but anyway they released a trailer of it all going on, which you can see below. So it’s all fine, I suppose.

They should also release some screenshots. Video below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Araxiel says:

This has to be the theme song!
    Also, “thpse chaps from Spiral” should add Nazi-Dinosaurs, like in that other game…that would be truly over-epic.

Edit: If I’m getting this right, this is “Humans with Dinos VS other Humans with Dinos”. So what are the dinos like the T-Rex? Classes? “I am heavy T-Rex guy, and this is my jaw. It weights one ton, and eats 12 tiny baby humans per minute…”?

• saturnine says:

“Velociraptor’s a good class, mate! It’s challenging work, out of doors… I’ll guarantee you’ll not go hungry, ’cause at the end of the day, as long as there are two dinosaurs left on the planet, someone is gonna want someone ate.”

• Araxiel says:

“Grass grows, birds fly, sun shiney, and brother, I eat people” *rawr* “I’m a force-e-nature” *rawr* “If you were from where I was from, you would be fucking eaten”

I think that would fit better to the velociraptor.

• RakeShark says:

“What makes me a good Brontosaurus? If I were a BAD Brontosaurus, I wouldn’t be sittin’ here discussin’ it with you now, would I?!”

2. McDan says:

Those dinosaurs are very big…
    But the guns are very flashy, so it works out.

3. Robert Yang says:

The “O” on their logo looks more like a “D” with the T-Rex. But yeah, Drion looks cool.

4. mashakos says:

does anyone else feel that this game is taking itself too seriously?
    I can’t help feeling this would have made more sense with a lighter tone, or alternatively with some dark humour.

EDIT: Just thought of this! Who in the world would hate genetically engineered dinosaurs so much that they woukd form a posse, gear up and start hunting down t-rex’s with shotguns while flying on jet packs? Why, militant Creationists from the year 2315 AD of course! That would be an awesome game :)

• Mr_Initials says:

Sound like a conspiracy theory to me! Someone get me Glen Beck!

5. ZIGS says:

This looks good

6. Bilbo says:

It’s just halo with dinosaurs, albeit sped up a bit. I’ll probably play it all the same

phuzz says:

“just halo with dinosaurs”
      It must be early or something because it sounds like you think that is a bad thing ;)

• RegisteredUser says:

Halo is always a bad thing.

7. Sarlix says:

It’s back again…

8. Dave L. says:

Needs a Jetpack Brontosaurus mod.

thristhart says:

Dinosaurs are the new zombies indeed.

I am very happy with this.

Anthile says:

I only read jetpacks and dinosaurs, that’s all I need to know.

Shut up, Orion developers, and take my money!

Man Raised by Puffins says:

BRRRAAAAAHHM

(and not even the first time today either)

• Ertard says:

And it’s sort of in the BF3 trailers as well!

Why isn’t this game called Dinosaurs and Jetpacks? Would sell tons.

12. Wulf says:

I have to say, I’m still more of a fan of Primal Carnage, due to its playable dinosaurs. I mean, whomever is playing the T-Rex gets the opportunity to head chomp people. That’s going to be a moment of pure hilarity for anyone T-Rex player that manages to pull it off.

13. Springy says:

I thought the men/dino food were meant to be shooting the dinosaurs, but I swear I saw one man shoot another man in that video. That sort of man-on-man shooting will never catch on in computer games.

14. negativedge says:

the only game with dinosaurs in the last decade, and yet every trailer focuses on Dudes What Shoot Guns

and now REAL TIME FLAG CAPTURING

15. MrEvilGuy says:

I really didn’t like how the dinosaur froze at :25

I hope that’s not a common occurance – I’d much rather see t-rexes pounce at a human but then go flying with momentum into a wall or something (which happened in jurassic park a few times with some of the dinosaurs). That would be epic to dodge.

16. Xiyng says:

Dinosaur animations might benefit from more work. It’s not bad but it quite obviously doesn’t look as massive as it should when it moves.

Other than that, I just love dinosaurs so I’m probably more or less excited about this.

17. jti says:

Doesn’t the whole thing look very clumsy to anyone else here? The Rex moves like it was made of plastic and everything else is like Halo with less taste. Not impressed at all, but then again, I never cared about dinosaurs…

I need a game with blue whales in it.

18. Lightbulb says:

Alpha people. Alpha!

———–

Can’t decide if this looks awesome or silly… Might buy it though.

19. skx says:

those guys played to much halo… every polygon seems inspired by halo

• CrazyBaldhead says:

I can’t believe people choose Halo, out of all games, as a source of inspiration. The Halo series consists of the most unoriginal games I’ve ever played, both gameplay and story-wise. Completely uninspired weapons and bland scenery only add to the mix. Even freakin Pacman is more pleasing to the eye.
      This is all my opinion, of course.

20. Lightbulb says:

Not sure it isn’t/was a Halo mod to be honest. Think I might have read that somewhere…

21. qwiggalo says:

I can’t believe people actually donated to this project. Back when it was Incoming Source it was proven he had 100% jacked a concept of the TRex from primal carnage and painted over it. The leader is a fraud, full of himself and he seriously says he came up with everything 100%. If you tell him it’s a halo clone he gets defensive about it.