Sixteen, With A 10 Meg Pipe: TV Does Games

By John Walker on March 10th, 2011 at 12:35 pm.

Excuse me madam, have you seen this lady's high scores?

Videogaming’s representation in the wider media is, as we all know, peculiar. But nowhere is it more strange than in the world of television. Those bonkers small screen writers seem to have somehow grown up in a society completely free of their existence, talking about them as if they’re an alien artefact on which no researchable information is available. Or another theory: all American dramas are written by my mum. The latest incident of her scripting a show is Season 8 Episode 16 of NCIS, which aired in the States last month. The moment is below, and it’s beautiful.

Now, I admit to never having seen NCIS. While I love crime procedurals, there’s a limit to how many I can fit in my week, and I tend to opt for those with a heavy sense of humour about themselves. NCIS, despite its name suggesting that it’s about naval crime, is the highest rated drama in America, and the second highest rated show of all (after American Idol – man the lifeboats). This particular episode, Kill Screen (see? SEE?!) guest-stars the fantastic Beth Riesgraf (who is stellar in the much underrated Leverage) as a top gamer. She… well, I’m not going to spoil the video for you – it’s best experienced for yourself:

It demonstrates a complete lack of care about the subject. And of course it’s not as if that’s unique to gaming – know anything about a subject and a TV show will drive you potty when it tries to make that the topic of the week. Oh, and try watching a medical drama with a nurse – insufferable. (Apart from the inevitable sci-fi convention episode of anything, of course – they always get those exactly right.) But it’s when their attention turns to our games that we prick up our ears.

There are so many more examples of this, in film and television. What we want you to do is let us know of any you know of, in the comments below. Ideally with a YouTube link. I’ll collect them all together and we can create The Screen’s Ultimate Guide To Those Videogames. It will be amazing, the internet will cheer.

Thanks to 10rdBen for the tip.

, , .

1. Srekel says:

There’s some relevant info in this reddit comment:
    Including some additional videos as per your request.

• godgoo says:

REALTIME!? must be cryengine2!

• bowl of snakes says:

awesome, thanks for pointing out that thread! it actually makes a lot of sense that it’s an in-joke, sort of like the wilhelm scream for writers on those paint by numbers grandmother-target-market dramas

• TuesdayExpress says:

Saw that thread on reddit yesterday, and I caught the episode last week (tangent: god, how that show has slid downhill since its first couple of seasons). I gotta say, I don’t buy the ‘in-joke’ thesis.

The entire treatment of tech and gaming was so ridiculously unreal that I never entertained the thought that it was a sly wink-n-nod by the writers. Instead, it came across as a script written by people who grew up playing early arcade games and have a passing familiarity with the existence of online gaming, but really have no idea beyond that.

If it was an attempt at humor, it fell incredibly flat and just made the show seem completely out of touch with its subject matter.
      *edited for speeling

• President Weasel says:

I agree that NCIS has gone miles downhill, I get a strong impression that the lead actors just don’t care any more and are just going through the motions, phoning in charicatures of their characters. Tony in particular always seemed seconds from going “Film quote, film quote, I’m the cheeky one, McGee is a geek… sod it, what’s the use?”
      It’s gone from a show I looked forward to (as well-made crime procedural with a bit of vim, not as a piece of high art or anything) to one I don’t even bother to obtain from internets any more. What a shame.

2. limbclock says:

Ooooh, i remember this movie, yeah? Where this dude was frozen in the 1940s as a part of a military experiment. These two kids find him, and then they manage to unthaw him, before running away.

I remember this scene where like, the kid was playing F-zero in single player mode( Or was it Final Fantasy) on the SNES. It was clear that it was one player game YET THE BOTH DUDES were thumbing around in their controllers.

The scene ends when the kid answers the door, and the unthawed guy is behind it.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

‘Twas California Man? Or Encino Man as it is called in the Colonies?
      Ah, Pauly Shore, Brendan Fraser, Sean Astin. Good times . . . Buuuuudddddddyy!

. . .

*EDIT* Oh wait no. Sorry. Didn’t notice the 1940s part! ;( Just read frozen dude and I was like HUZZAH!

• fionny says:

Forever Young, with Mel Gibson

• Baines says:

Mistakes like that happen all the time in TV and movies.

It was rather common for TV shows to mismatch the game being shown (or heard) and the system (or controllers) visible. You would hardly ever have the two match, and I’ve even seen cases where the controllers didn’t even match the system being shown. In the old days of sitcoms, you wouldn’t even see the game itself, they’d just add sound effects afterwards. I’d also heard that some later shows actively avoided correctly showing a game, because that would fall into the realm of product placement, so they’d intentionally mismatch systems and game video.

Movies do it a lot too. One in particular that annoyed me was My Schoolmate the Barbarian, as the game actually figured into the storyline. You could see they were playing Rival Schools, but they kept talking about secret kill moves that had motions that bordered on absurd even for a Mortal Kombat title.

• Rich says:

I remember an episode of Lost that had a bunch of Iraqis playing Half-Life. On the Playstation… did that happen? Anyway, one is trying to dispatch a zombie but shouts “I’m out of bullets!”, the other suggest “Use the crowbar”, to which the first guy protests “The crowbar doesn’t work on zombies!”.

As I remember, the writing in that show went down quickly from there.

• Unaco says:

@Rich

Yes, there was a Playstation 2 version of HalfLife… it was ported a few years after the PC release, and contained HalfLife:Decay, an exclusive expansion.

In addition, there were actually numerous references and allusions to HalfLife in LOST. Jacks father, constantly being seen in the distance and then walking off… The G Man. There was also another scene, iirc, when Locke was born, Richard Alpert was at the hospital, in his ’50s style sharp suit, outside the room, seen through the glass window… not sure if he straightened his tie first, but he then walks off, again, very similar to the G Man. I think he later turns up when Locke is a young boy, with a briefcase. There was also a possible smaller reference in “Our Mutual Friend”, the Dickens book that Desmond carried around… that also being what Vance referred to the G Man as.

On the other side, there are also some LOST references in HL2 Ep2… the White Forest Station symbol is a DHARMA Initiative symbol with 3 trees in the middle, and there’s a computer monitor constantly outputting the ‘numbers’.

• MultiVaC says:

Those bald guys in Fringe, the watchers or whatever, were also incredibly G-Man like. They have the weird speech and everything, and the role they play in the show is really similar to his in Half-Life. I’m pretty sure they even used the phrase “unforeseen consequences” at one point.

3. mere_immortal says:

Extra points for the papyrus font use.

4. Scythe says:

This video caused me actual, physical pain.

5. Batolemaeus says:

Wat

6. simonh says:

This could be another explanation:

I really, really hope so anyway.

7. Easydog says:

Unfortunately I can’t find a clip that works in britain, but this was an episode of ‘Law and Order: SVU’ about the perils of pc gaming leading to child neglect. It’s hilarious.

• Easydog says:

Whoops, already posted. Sorry.

• Easydog says:

And one that gets it right :)

• SLeigher says:

Yes, that Office episode is still the only thing I have ever seen on TV that doesn’t make gamers feel like 12 year old micspammers and 40 yr old perverts at the same time, but then the office has always been a bit weird like that, firstly it’s a british remake which is actually good and hell they even spent a whole episode just watching glee this seasn

Oozo says:

“Yes, that Office episode is still the only thing I have ever seen on TV that doesn’t make gamers feel like 12 year old micspammers and 40 yr old perverts at the same time”

I beg to differ:

8. Ginger Yellow says:

Spaced is the only TV show I’ve seen that actually gets gaming right.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

The Guild doesn’t count, I suppose…

• Hoaxfish says:

Spaced is generally awesome.

I’ve not seen “The Guild”.

James G says:

Brian: What are you playing?
      Tim: Tomb Raider 3.
      Brian: She’s drowning.
      Tim: Yeah.
      Brian: Is that the point of the game?
      Tim: Depends what mood you’re in really.
      Brian: What sort of mood are you in then?
      Tim: Well, I got a letter from my ex-girlfriend this morning, 3 months too late, explaining why she dumped me. It was full of ‘you’ll always be special’ and ‘I’ll always love you’ platitudes designed to make me feel better whilst simultaneously appeasing her deep seated sense of guilt for dumping me, running off with a slimy little city boy called Duane and destroying my faith in everything which is good and pure.
      Brian: So it didn’t really work then.
      Tim: No, it made me wanna drown things!

• Xocrates says:

The Guild is a web-series. So, no, it doesn’t count.

Malibu Stacey says:

Probably because Simon Pegg co-wrote Spaced & has actually played some games.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I find anime gets it right quite often as well. But then they usually set it in some sort of at least near-future kind of setting, so that gives them a bit more wiggle room.

• Hoaxfish says:

“But then they usually set it in some sort of at least near-future kind of setting, so that gives them a bit more wiggle room.”
      exactly how much wiggle room do you allow when the computer games often turn into super-magical girls?

9. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

John Walker Journalism shall strike again!

Of course, this time will be even more ineffectual, since TV will (in general) always be wilfully ignorant of anything more complex than a… something not very complex.

Still, I cheer from the internet!

10. SimonHawthorne says:

Best Comment on the YouTube vid:

And the news headlines the next day were: “TELEVISION SHOW MAKES NONSENSICAL VIDEO GAME REMARK. MMO PLAYERS FURIOUS, NORMAL PEOPLE UNAFFECTED.

JesseZinVT 7 hours ago 9

11. General Frags says:

She beat World of Warcraft! jesus.

But yeah on topic its obvious the writers are trolling the more geekier/gaming fans, I don’t think any TV show has got gaming right even the gaming ones.

Lambchops says:

As someone mentioned above gets videogaming right, there’s a couple of good gags with it (drowning Lara, Daisy Steiner Wins) but mostly it’s just there uncommented on, something that the characters do in their spare time.

As for specific videogame shows getting it right I think Videogaiden is the perfect example. Sadly only on at silly o’clock in Scotland it reatured Rab “cardboard children” Florence and his comedy partner in crime Ryan Mcleod. It was passionate, funny, never took itself too seriously and by a long way the best TV show on games (though when your competition was pretty much only “Bits” then that’s not really saying much!). Think the episodes are still online, they’re well worth watching if you haven’t seen them. The God Hand review in particular is brilliant.

phlebas says:

Video Gaiden was on actual TV? I had no idea.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Barely, the Beeb handled the final series a bit better and had it going up on the website as it aired. In fact, it’s still there. Good show.

Consolevania on the other hand was an entirely web based series.

• President Weasel says:

GAIDEN!

(sorry, don’t know what came over me)
      Best gaming show ever.

Malibu Stacey says:

It used to be on here in Scotland around midnight on a Sunday night IIRC but that was on “BBC Scotland” so if it showed at all in the rest of the UK it may have been at a different time.

The episode when Rab & Ryan ‘review’ Brain Training on the DS in the 2nd series is a classic.

• theblazeuk says:

Funnily enough I took a peek at VideoGaiden’s broadcast history the other day though I’ve never seen the show in my life (It definitely only aired on BBC Scotland and the web)

Gap Gen says:

That scene would have been perfect had they started kissing. I want to write that kind of beautiful nonsense screenplay when I grow up.

13. robotco says:

damn. the high score in virtually every single MMO? dat bitch must gots da mad cash yo.

• neolith says:

Aw man… there’s HIGHSCORES in MMOs now? We truly live in interesting times!

• Jake says:

maybe it meant the highest number of WoW achievement points in the world, and the other games that probably have these too, except if she really did this she’d look like a freaking paper-skinned gremlin with bloodshot golum eyes. And the scene would be way less cute.

14. adonf says:

You know what is not realistic in this clip ? There’s no way this guy didn’t reply something like “I’ve got a 10-Meg pipe for you right here.” No way !

15. infovore says:

Perfect timing: the CSI:NY “Second Life” episode was on last night, and managed to bear almost no resemblance to SL or indeed anything that’s possible with technology. Abysmal, even by the standards of the show. (Please don’t ask me why I ended up watching it).

See also the Reddit thread on this exact topic, and in particular, this comment collecting all the terrible instances of US TV drama trolling gamers with increasingly inaccurate allusions. Dexter playing Halo 3 on a PC keyboard is high on the list.

• General Frags says:

Why don’t we have Halo 3 on PC is Microsoft trolling us if Dexter has it.

16. pauljeremiah says:

My fav is the Bones epiosde “punkypong” which was pretty much a rip off of “The King of Kong” excpet the Billy Mitchell charatcer kills Steve…..or did he.

and it’s also the epiosde with all the Avatar adverts in it.

• Acorino says:

Back to NCIS, the episode’s name “Kill Screen” also reminded me of King of Kong. This was what players of Donkey Kong called the last screen you can reach in the game, where Mario just dies for no particular reason a few seconds in.

innokenti says:

There’s also that earlier Bones episode where a kid is supposed to have written a superior FPS game before Doom came out. It was on a (still-readable) 5″ diskette and looked like a very poor attempt from the 00′s.

Oh how I laughed (and cried).

• Shagittarius says:

I have lots of 5.25″ disks and almost all of them are perfectly readable.

17. Out Reach says:

LE GASP SPOILERS! we’re still on season 7 here in the UK :|

18. Sarlix says:

Skank horde!

Lars Westergren says:

Tony Soprany “playing” Mario Kart 64 by just holding the controller with one hand. “Watch out for the ghost!” Classic.

The Swedish/German “Beck” series of movies from the mid 90s loosely based on the Sjövall & Wahlöö books were a treasure trove of anxieties of how horrible and confusing the modern world is, and why-can’t-we-all-go-back-to-good-old-fashioned-social-democrat-values? In one episode (forget the name) there are a number of brutal killings in the Stockholm subway. Turns out it’s a gang of boys in their early teens doing this, in the final scene on of these “poor innocents twisted by the modern world” screams in anguish that “I have to do it, the violent computer games have taught me that you must kill a certain number of people to reach ‘the next level’!”. It is heavily implied that this is epidemic that will spread out of control unless “something is done about it”. But of course the greedy and ignorant politicians refuse to shoulder their responsibility. Beck and his crew of world weary policemen shake their heads. Screen fades to black.

• MadTinkerer says:

I think that was a subtle plot point: “This thing ain’t steering right”, “Kicking your butt with one hand” (while cheating).
      Alternately: You saying Tony Soprano needs both hands to play a videogame? You better watch your mouth, or you’ll be getting a visit from some wise guys!

Lars Westergren says:

Yeah, I know console games are usually easy (tee-hee), but not even touching the controls? Just holding it limply in one hand?

20. Hoaxfish says:

Remember that Sony advert about “Lame Castle”, and then someone actually made a game called Lame Castle as a follow-up/free advertising/etc…

Someone should try and make every one of these “screw-ups” into reality. … at least, I wouldn’t mind seeing more MMOs adopt a sort of point-scoring acade mechanic (not like overall, but maybe the odd PvP minigame etc)

21. Deano2099 says:

Leverage actually had quite a nice (and timely) Warcraft reference in it.

What confuses me is, they obviously made some effort – someone had to mock up a title screen for that game, and it’s clearly based on WoW… why not spend the extra five minutes to get the facts right?

The biggest perpetrator of this was that damn South Park World of Warcraft episode. It got just enough wrong to make it jarring for people that did play the game (and much of the rest would have gone over the heads of people who didn’t).

• DJ Phantoon says:

I think the episode was really for those orphaned and widowed by that game.

I don’t mean literally, but it might as well be for some people.

drewski says:

They play it for laughs, though. And South Park is basically 14 years (or however many it’s been running) of exaggeration.

Malibu Stacey says:

That would be the South Park episode produced with the assistance of Blizzard using a custom version of the engine would it then?

What do Blizzard know about World of Warcraft anyway?

• Shagittarius says:

Yeah it was totally off, I shit into socks not bowls and my mom doesn’t help me.

• Deano2099 says:

@everyone – Exactly my point! It was done with Blizzard, but still had some silly inaccuracies, none which made the episode any funnier.

• finbikkifin says:

Leverage didn’t so much have a WoW reference as it had an episode where one of the team misses the heist because the new expansion released, and then uses it to bond with people while he’s social engineering his way into a company. Bit more than just a throwaway line.

That episode had horrendous cgi, though. The Leverage cgi guys cannot do planes.

• RegisteredUser says:

Oh Shagittarius. You made me lulz. Sincerely.

Lars Westergren says:

How long since was it Hollywood stopped monitors projecting onto the face of people using it? I don’t watch much films these days. But all text appears a character at a time with a beeping sound right? And if someone is searching in a database, the most efficient way to search is to use the Dijkstra algorithm where every single record is loaded and displayed on the screen, and then the words “NO MATCH” flash for a few seconds, right? I mean, only 0.001% of all humans have ever used a computer, so it’s ok if they add some stuff for drama. Not like anyone would notice.

I mean, even The Wire, for all it’s smarts, have these stupid things. Cops sitting spending day after day staring at an animation on the screen of containers being loaded on to trucks, and only if they spot the container sprite suddenly vanishing into thin air can they see if something fishy is going on. (Reminded of the ThinkGeek t-shirt: “GO AWAY OR I WILL REPLACE YOU WITH A SMALL SHELL SCRIPT”.)

Edit: Ooh, I remembered another one. The whole Simpsons WoW episode. Simpsons is so terribly unfunny these days. They have become the very things they mocked back when their satire had some edge to it.
    For a pretty good WoW parody, read the Yarn of Yarncraft chapter of Sluggy Freelance. Starting here.

23. Choca says:

Religious people are all fanatics, rich people are evil jerks while poor people are heartwarming goody two shoes, scientists are all giant nerds with no life, gamers are sociopaths in training, teenagers are actually 28 years old, lesbian bars are full of girls looking like models and everyone who isn’t leading a life following the basic principles established as “standard” by the show is portrayed as an enormous freak.

This is TV.

• Gary W says:

You’ve forgotten another character type: the middle-aged divorcee undergoing an existential crisis at his second home in Provence.

Oh wait, that’s Literature.

24. Sb3 says:

mmmmm….I want me one of those (apparently) fancy 10 meg pipes.

25. Kieron Gillen says:

I’m just glad someone has finally rid the world of the Skank Horde.

KG

HermitUK says:

But it’s an MMO. They’ll just respawn.

• Sarlix says:

She only killed the ones on the Isle of Cardias in Bloodfun 6, apparently…

• jonfitt says:

If you head into any British town on a Saturday night, you’ll see the Skank Horde are still alive and well.

Ho ho!

26. Kaira- says:

Wait, wait, wait. High scores, in MMORPGs? Why no one told me of this before?

27. Anton says:

Such writings would be the thing that’ll drive gamers like us to rape and pillage, NOT BULLETSTORM! =P

28. WMain00 says:

The entire skank horde?

SKANK HORDE?!

10 MEGABYTE PIPE BECAUSE I NEED THE EXTRA SPEED?

High score in EVERY MMO? There’s a high score?

Jesus…fucking…christ.

• iniudan says:

You forgot she using a 16 cores computer to play freaking MMO.

Wtf use computer cluster to play video game. (other then early day gamers who only option was to play on the university super computer, but that go back to time where people like Sid Meier were student and did punch card tic tac toe program =p)

29. Nick says:

NCIS does generally have a sense of humour, plus it has Illya Kuryakin in it. What I’m saying is, its probably worth attempting to watch the first season or so as I know you like your US telly, John.

30. N'Al says:

NCIS is terrible. That is all.

31. Anton says:

I remember watching an episode of LIFE wherein the protagonist was able to destroy a desktop PC by spilling coffee over the keyboard. I was like, woah! I do that every time, I just replace my keyboard! douchebag writers!

• Bret says:

Also, they did an episode where Prince of Persia has levels and a high score table.

Overall, though, Life was a pretty great show.

32. bastronaut says:

I’m desperately trying to think of something to say that isn’t self-evident. I generally hate the televisions. I do not have TV service (cable/satellite). I watch only excellent, short-run shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Breaking Bad does some science, and man, they get it right. I don’t know if they get drug dealing culture right, but it doesn’t matter, because the characters are fascinating and the writing is fantastic.
    Good writing transcends trivial facts about the subject matter, but any writer worth a damn ensures that it at least feels right if they have to use domain-specific knowledge or depict interactions in a distinct cultural milieu. It is drama, not history.
    If you’ve seen The Wire, the same guys also made a short called The Corner. I, for one, haven’t watched it. It’s supposed to be a true-to-life depiction of heroin addiction, unlike The Wire, which is a highly sophisticated drama featuring insightful characters and searing dialogue.
    I don’t mind if writers choose to dramatize gamers, to change the facts or even the feel, if they can help give me insight into how people work, and reveal the drama and excitement. But these day-to-day TV writers aren’t after that. Hacks like them need to get words on paper, any words. There’s a big machine, not to mention an even bigger audience, hungry for content, any content. As long as it fulfills a few needs: scare them, titillate them, confirm their biases and satisfy their simplistic sense of right and wrong.
    Now, I’m sure there are no games that steep to such simplistic pandering. [cough]Bulletstorm[/cough]

33. Nick says:

Nothing beats CSI for amusing computer game stuff though.

• bleeters says:

Indeed. There’s an especially loathsome CSI: Miami episode that springs to mind, ‘Urban Hellraisers’.

Highlights include:

- Students who play a game so much, they eventually become bored and attempt to replicate it in reality by robbing banks, gunning random people down, breaking into a police statios guns a blazin’, so on and so forth.
      - When caught, one player who boasts about being ‘ahead on points, Johnny Law’.
      - A player known as ‘the wizard’ who kept track of scores, and is found dead at his computer after playing for 72 hours straight. Bottled urine included.
      - A games development head who refuses to reveal what else happens in his game, suggesting that they play it themselves to find out. No such thing as the internet, I suppose.
      - “Play the game, Mr Wolf. You’re the only one that knows how!”

Watching it gave me a nosebleed.

34. Desvergeh says:

Most amusing TV game episode I have seen is one in Ghost Whisperer, featuring some kind of MMO. No idea of episode name, but seemed to be hailed as the nadir of the show (one which is overall awful already).

Also remember seeing some prior episode of NCIS revolving around a MMO (seemingly inspired by Everquest). I think the plot was about some sailor killing another over some sword in the game. It was laughably ill-informed, and probably in response to similar real-life events.

• trjp says:

Worst thing about Ghost Whisperer is that it’s the work of a genuine ‘corpse botherer’ (thanks to Derren Brown for that job title) – James van Praaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh – or ‘cunt’ as he’s more widely known.

Could be worse tho – could be Medium, which is based on the life of an actual person who really exists and – and this astonishes me – is MORE ANNOYING that the woman in the fucking TV series (hardly possible, you’d think).

35. Centy says:

Dare we go into that awful episode of House with the video game developer and the 3 player coop monkeys shooting aliens thing in the virtual reality suite?

shoptroll says:

That was pretty bad, I’m surprised no one linked that clip in here yet. Which was a weird direction for them to take since the writers seemed to have some amount of a clue in the earlier seasons when they showed House occasionally playing Metroid on a GBA.

• Dan Forever says:

Oh that was awful – they’ve also been playing it in more recent episodes, with light guns…

36. Muzman says:

How many cores? What’s it doing, modelling climate?

• bastronaut says:

She got all the top scores on those MMORPGs playing them at the same time.

37. Surgeon says:

Oh my God, don’t even mention the whole ‘watching a medical drama with a nurse’ thing.
    Bane of my life.
    It doesn’t even have to be a medical drama, or even TV.
    The rubbing of the defibrillators in Bad Company 2 is enough for an epic rant.

38. trjp says:

I think it’s important to understand very little of the world if you wish to enjoy it’s TV Drama.

An understanding of Police procedure, emergency medicine, computers, forensics or – for that matter – common sense! – will spoil all this no-brainer shit instantly.

Now I just need to avoid knowing anything about Meth and I can continue to rate Breaking Bad as my favourite TV ever!!

39. Rii says:

There’s an episode of Angel (late S5 as I recall) in which Spike is seen playing an video game. The game itself is off-screen, but the sound effects are clearly those of the original Super Mario Bros (or Donkey Kong, I can’t remember) despite Spike clearly holding an Xbox controller and the year being 2003 or something. > >

40. Zogtee says:

So… Is that it? The high score reference? Is that genuinely all this is about?

For the record, NCIS has featured several gaming and geek references during the earlier seasons and you know what? There was nothing wrong with them!

• trjp says:

Ha – you fell into our trap of admitting you watch this brainless shit.

“Oh look – CSI is popular – let’s make a series with letters as the name”

“CSI – hmmm CIS? ACIS? NCIS!! – now, create some bland characters and stupid plots and we’ll screen it next week”.

• Walsh says:

Is that a 12 port?

NO, A 16!

41. obvioustroll says:

Can’t be as bad as this

What is it with computer games that makes people want to hate?

42. vodka and cookies says:

NCIS is made for very old people who love generic procedurals so it’s distorted view of gaming is in a weird way probably what it’s audience actually think gaming is.

drewski says:

Yes, there’s nothing old people like more than watching a spunky goth girls sass her boss.

Have you ever even *seen* NCIS?

43. Headwired says:

Anybody else remember when Karl Kennedy from Neighbours got addicted to Magic Carpet for the PC?

He got some computer geek to hack the high scores so it seemed like he’d beaten the game, but crafty Libby caught him out by asking him how he beat the final boss. That minx.

• jonfitt says:

A decade later they would still use the Magic Carpet sound effects when someone was “playing a game”.

• Jimbo says:

I remember that. Libby was such a dream kitten. *nostalgic sigh*

44. TooNu says:

This is BS, girls don’t play MMO’s!

• Juiceman says:

Yes they do. They are all just fat and ugly.

Lars Westergren says:

@Juiceman
      Two comments from you on this thread, and both consisting of little but misogyny. Is this going to be a theme with you?

• Shagittarius says:

@Lars Westergren

So can ugly dudes really pick up chicks with that schtick?

Lars Westergren says:

@Shaggitarius
      If I find an ugly guy who uses that schtick to pick up chicks, I’ll ask him for you. I’m sure you need all the help you can get.

stahlwerk says:

2 out of the three WoW players I know personally are female, slender and attractive. You see, when people say that WoW was a game changer because it was played by gamers from all kinds of backgrounds, that is what they actually mean: you can’t really assume anything about anyone online (just as Shagittarius proved, perhaps unwittingly). We as gamers are not sitting in the club tree house anymore, so we should stop acting like it. Anyway Props where props are due to NCIS for not perpetrating that tired acne’d and awkward male gamer stereotype.

45. mandrill says:

Yeah, TV dramas are notorious for things like this.

Star Trek was the most accomplished at throwing in mulligans because the writers were creative about them (Heisenberg Compensator anyone?). Simply throwing jargon from a widely known field of technology around doesn’t work though because when you get it wrong you look like an idiot. (The Parsec Gaff in Star Wars is probably the most notable of these, sci-fi doesn’t always get it right.)

46. Juiceman says:

What do you expect it’s NCIS. This is the show that thinks the US government lets people show up to work dressed up like the ugly goth chick from your high school.

drewski says:

NCIS might be just another procedural, but it’s written with warmth and wit so it’s a step up from the overdramatised CSI garbage. Not on the same level as Bones or Castle, though.

• trjp says:

I was forced to watch Castle once (too lazy to move) and it was – quite clearly – the worst TV I’ve ever seen.

I’d watch Duff Goldman laughing on endless repeat before I’d watch that again…

drewski says:

You’ve done well to avoid daytime soaps and late afternoon game shows your whole life, then.

Oozo says:

This one is almost ok, compared to other stuff:

Even though I wonder why they didn’t do the extra research and found out that Sub-Zero is not, actually, the final boss.

(They got The Sims pretty right, though.)

And then there was this…

49. Jorum says:

I think I’ll have to reinstall (and finally properly learn) Unity just so I can make
    “Bloodfun 6: fury of the skankhorde”

• JibbSmart says:

Please do. Please please please. It doesn’t have to be complex. Just a survival-something with a high-score system, that gets ridiculously hard but is beatable if you’re as exceptional as MaxDestructo. Or whatever.

If you don’t I will, but with uni getting busy and my own game taking up a lot of time it’d have to wait for the Summer. And by then it won’t be funny anymore.

Jibb

50. Megasoum says:

Reminds me of that scene from CSI:NY where the girl wants to create a GUI in Visual Basic to solve the problem!