Garry’s Mod + Kinect = Dancing DOG

By John Walker on March 11th, 2011 at 5:57 pm.

This is what gaming was building up to.

In a list of inevitable, but glorious things, someone figuring out how to get Kinect working with Garry’s Mod appeared near the top. And Bit-Tech brings us wonderful news of its happening. The program allows the user to manipulate objects within Source, taking advantage of the engine’s physics. Which primarily involves kicking boxes. And better still, innovator John Boiles has made a truly brilliant video to prove it. It’s below. Watch this.

This has made my day.

You can get the code to do the same from Boiles’ GitHub site, right here. And you can find out how he did it on his blog. And huge thanks to Bit-Tech for the find.

, , , , .

1. TomEllinson says:

….BRILLIANT!

2. Monchberter says:

:O

Kinect could be Valve’s new Novint Falcon, I mean Razer Hydramotion. I mean, whatever alternative control system they are backing this week.

3. Moni says:

I’m excited by the potential for dirt cheap, motion-captured, home movies.

4. Trousers says:

rule 34 anyone?

5. Psycho_Penguin says:

The only thing that video needed was him using the the G-Man model and spinning around in an office chair.

6. alice says:

Someone needs to turn this into a simulation of being the Kool-Aid Man and bursting through walls while screaming “Oh Yeah!” I would pay good money for that.

7. Mike says:

Not sure what the significance of the real-world objects is?

• slight says:

Point of reference I presume.

• 7rigger says:

It’s quite impressive when he stands behind the chairs, as the Kinect on Xbox has trouble seeing past furniture in any way. It seems like it can guesstimate the location of limbs when they’re not in plain sight.

Which is nice

8. x25killa says:

Wonder what happens if the cat just runs past.

Remarkable though this.

9. sakmidrai says:

and now I have to buy a Kinect.
    argh.

10. Moonracer says:

Wait is the kinect really that good of a device? I admittedly haven’t kept close track of motion tracking tech. The skeptical side of me thinks it would be much easier to hoax this by moving in sync with character animations. But I hope this is real. Lots of potential.

• Robbert says:

Yes, the Kinect’s tech is amazing even though it’s nearly useless on the 360 (for now). I don’t even own a 360 and the only reason I’m not buying the Kinect right now is because I’m waiting for ASUS’s Wavi Xtion to see how it compares.

• Carra says:

Seen too many kinect “hacks” to doubt the Kinect. Great piece of hardware. Shitty line-up of software.

11. BooleanBob says:

Kenneth from 30 rock is into garry’s mod? Who knew?

12. clownst0pper says:

Jesus I hate Kinect, just because the Software to go with it is shit (so far) but this looks incredible :)

13. Wulf says:

I love that hackers have found more worth in Microsoft’s expensive experiment than Microsoft have. And this is amazing.

• RegisteredUser says:

Hasn’t this been the story for every single piece of hardware or console they put out? (people I know simply abused the old xbox as an xbmc media player once it was hacked and never played one game e.g.)

Locking stuff down = bad..not that the last 20 years there has been much of a learning effect visible on this subject on the side of the big corps.

14. DOLBYdigital says:

Excited to see where modders take Kinect but it does still seem to be ‘spotty’. We got it for my nephew and it seems to get easily confused/messed up a lot, especially when moving fast or doing certain motions (you can see that in this video too). That may be the software’s fault and not the hardware but I’m not sure. Still I think its a step in the right direction and will hopefully lead to a better full body motion tracking device. Hoping ASUS’s whatchamacallit is even better

• RegisteredUser says:

IMHO in the video you can plainly see just how low resolution that thing really is and/or how tricky a 1:1 translation still is. But this is all first generation stuff.
      Eventually the motion capture for the home may become pretty seamless..

Although that still leaves the problem of doing 3D movement and trying to think it’s cool when viewing it on a 2D device.

If it weren’t for the “can do anything there” factor of virtual reality, I’d have to make a cynical comment of how we are simply trying to increase fidelity of all this artificial stuff to just barely come close to stuff we could just as well directly do IN REAL LIFE.

Has the real world really become this shit that we need to do EVERYTHING online/on a computer?
      And I say this as someone who grew up with one, is addicted to videogames and spends far too much time on one.

I really don’t like the idea of people, rather than meeting up in person, just IM’ing, virtual meeting and second life-ing(or, worse still, having their social life completely happen in WOW)..

We quite literally crave physical contact and touch, and I don’t like where this overvirtualization is going.

Sorry, touch off topic there.