Surprise! Prey 2 Confirmed

By Alec Meer on March 14th, 2011 at 2:06 pm.

That's Prey 1. So don't link to this saying RPS has exclusive screens. But we do wish we did. Can we have some?

We’ve been hearing all manner of rumours about this over the last week, and now official word has arrived. By which I mean “an email.” Games journalism: not always rocket science.

Yes, Bethesda Softworks are going to publish a game called Hunted this year, and then a game called Prey 2 next year. Hooray! They sure do like their hunting and preying, though. What next? Victim? Target? Assassinee? Bloke What Is Running Away From Another Bloke What Is Trying To Kill Or Eat Him Or Something?

Indeed yes, the id Tech 4 (the Doom 3 engine) powered 2006 shooter is due a sequel. 2012, same devs (Human Head) and it sounds as thought it’ll be using id’s spanky new Rage/id Tech 5 engine. It was being rumoured back as far as 2008, but whether it’s at all related to that planned version remains to be seen.

“We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” said Chris Rhinehart, project lead. “Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are.”

Chris Rhinehart – there’s a name. if he wasn’t a game dev, he’d surely be some sort of country musician, or a heroic knight.

That’s all we know about Prey 2 so far, I’m afraid. Gizza pic, like. Updates are promised on the Book of Faces soon.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Optimaximal says:

sorry…

James G says:

1996? I’m assuming that’s a typo. (Phew, Wikipedia confirms 2006.)

Edit: Sorry Alec.

stahlwerk says:

Didn’t they start development around that time, though?

• Ringwraith says:

I do remember it being one of those games which bounced around as an idea a lot before finally coming to fruition.
      I think it might have even had something to do with the fact that they couldn’t do what they wanted with current tech at some points.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

Yeah, 3D Realms’ own Prey game was in development from 1995 to 1999. Humanhead’s Prey was started in 2001.

• Turin Turambar says:

I doubt a lot they had the Doom 3 engine to make the game three years before the release of the id game.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

That’s one of the things Broussard bragged about for the game, they had the Doom engine about the same time as Raven did, meaning they had it very early. But yeah I have no idea what date exactly they got the engine. Work on Humanhead’s Prey was nontheless started in 2001.

• Soon says:

I remember a Quake mod doing portals shortly after Prey was announced (the first time, back in ’96 or whenever) as they also announced it would use them. I have to assume they didn’t develop it much or it’d come up more often.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

prey portals are really just the same thing as teleports in quake1

3. Ringwraith says:

I need to pick up a copy of Prey one day, I played a bit of it before and really liked the utter madness of it. It was really focused on being a really bizzare ride that even death could not stop.
    Living grenades, warped gravity, random teleportation and all.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s getting harder and harder to find… Valve stopped selling it on Steam after they ran out of CD keys and I haven’t seen many copies in bargain bins. It’s also hard to find second hand because the retail keys can be registered on Steam.

• Ringwraith says:

Didn’t realise that they could do that with them.
      Never heard of anyone retro-fitting a game with optional Steamworks apart from UT3, but even then I think they had to send out Steam keys to everyone who already had it, as it didn’t use the in-built serial key.

• HeavyStorm says:

Well, you’re not missing much… The game gets boring pretty fast.

• Ringwraith says:

I also seem to have a high tolerance for stuff, as I’ll happily play things for days on end even if I’m not really doing much.
      Case in point, been playing some Eternal Sonata (well, before I got distracted by other stuff), a game on something other than the good ol’ compy, and I’m enjoying it despite it being possibly the slowest paced game in existance. So far, not a lot has actually happened.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

Can still get download copies of it from Direct2Drive and Gamesplanet. It’s 5 islander currency for it.

• Oak says:

Your impressions were correct. Do pick up a copy.

• Bhazor says:

Harder to find? It’s 89p from Amazon and there was a budget “2 for £10″ re-release about two years ago.

• Ringwraith says:

Although, saying that I’ll probably pick up a copy, I have far too many games that need playing already.
      I need to get going with them really.

• Optimaximal says:

Ok, ‘harder to find’ is a bit wrong, but 2K basically abandoned the game once the Triton deal collapsed and they were left with egg on their face.

There’s been no proper budget release, it’s gone from Steam (if not other DD sites) and no first party e-tailer is currently stocking more than marketplace copies.

4. Alec Meer says:

Yes, well done. A typo. Aren’t you super.

James G says:

Sorry, wasn’t trying to gloat. Just had a brief “Bloody hell, how old?!” moment, before realising that would have put it back while I was using Win ’95 which was much too early.

• HeavyStorm says:

But I think Prey was first conceived around 1996, wasn’t it? If I’m not wrong, I had screenshots of a version of it in my Duke3D CD.

• matty_gibbon says:

Surely you’d rather people point out typos so they can be corrected?

• Alec Meer says:

Mails/tweets about ‘em are welcome. They’re bad in comments threads because a) they can lead to flame wars b) can look to some eyes like pedantry/gloating even when not intended as such and c) they make zero sense once the typos are fixed.

• Ringwraith says:

I’d glady point them out that way if I was anywhere near the means with which to do it.
      So I’ll just keep quiet about any more I (have) notice(d).

• matty_gibbon says:

@Alec fair enough. Though that probably would have been a better response than the previous one

• Bilbo says:

@Matty that’s kinda what I was thinking.

Also, blimey, isn’t this one a surprise! I’m all for it, I like a spot of unpredictability and invention in my shooters. I’ve got more than enough shooters that allow me to stare at M4A1SOPMOD556JHPFAPFAPFAP and sturdy blokes in combat fatigues, and not nearly enough with weapons designed around fun and shouty toothy space monsters.

• Alec Meer says:

We have to say it a lot. Not much fun, frankly.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Strangely enough, that was all I heard about the original Prey: That it wasn’t much fun at all.

I passed it up entirely because of that.

• Bilbo says:

@DJ it was serviceable. The whole “portals” thing was still fairly fresh back then. And the opening was pretty exciting. I didn’t get much farther than that though, if I’m being honest

• Kefren says:

Just add a note below “Wot you want to say” in the comments box. Not everyone will read it but you might get a 39% switch from comments to email/tweets.

5. Turin Turambar says:

Open alien world? Interesting!

It seems they are variating the gameplay thanks to id Tech 5, which is more focused to open spaces.

• Ringwraith says:

Open alien world craziness, which I won’t even start to predict what they’ll do with as it’s probably going to end up quite unfathomable, even if you’re playing it.

• Bilbo says:

I’m picturing some horrible kind of Xen from half life with muddy textures and spirit walking

6. Spinoza says:

Why RPS so cynical lately bout games depicting people/thinks hunting other people/thinks? isn’t something we been doing for the past 10 000 years?

7. Ian says:

I quite liked Prey, despite some things in it being just stupid.

But when the “the enemies can are on all the walls” bits worked they REALLY worked..

8. Ravenger says:

I liked Prey, I played through it a couple of times and enjoyed it both times, which is more than I can say for CODBLOPS where I’ve not even been bothered to finish it once.

So I say ‘YAY!’ to this news.

9. Kazang says:

Prey was a really soild game, very underated and had a lot of great moments and clever design.

Excited for a sequel.

10. ZIGS says:

Prey was awesome, I liked that part when you pressed a button and inadvertently impaled your grandfather with several metal spikes

11. deejayem says:

I enjoyed Prey. But then, I enjoyed Timeshift, which I think makes me some sort of pariah.

Didn’t particularly enjoy Pariah, though.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

Yeah, Prey and Timeshift were both a-ok. and Pariah was completely TERRIBLE.

• Navagon says:

Timeshift was serious deja vu in many ways and that constantly nagging asshole near the end didn’t aid my enjoyment of the game. But the weapons were good as was the gun play. The crossbow just as to be one of the best weapons I’ve used in a game. So yeah, I enjoyed it too.

• MattM says:

I thought Prey was pretty decent. Not great but better than a lot of AAA FPS single player campaigns.
      Better than COD 1,2, Rainbow6:Vegas 1,2, Brothers in Arms 1,2.
      (Looking at my game collection its kinda scary how many FPS campaigns I have completed. )

12. Kefren says:

I play games in chronological order usually, and only just finished off 2006. I found Prey to be a bit disappointing. Huge potential, but the excitement just seemed to fizzle out into predictable linear shooting. System Shock has a lot to answer for in terms of my expectations.

• Soon says:

It’s odd. They somehow made what should have been massive, memorable moments almost forgettable. I know they had a big plane crash inside the ship, but I don’t recall any details about it.

• TsunamiWombat says:

It also left alot of odd dangling plot threads…like the killer children ghosts. Also the cliffhanger ending.

Though, man, you remember when you could accidentally turn that machine to drill people back on and your guy goes “oh shit what did I do?” and you can’t turn it back off? Good times.

• Soon says:

I don’t remember that at all!

13. killmachine says:

prey was and still is awsome imho.

i sometimes compare it to the duke. it actually is something like the duke, but you’re a native american. and the aliens dont collect our women, no, they collect all humans and use them as slaves and as a power ressource. weired stuff is going on in that spacecraft.

from the technical standpoint i think its way ahead of its time. i mean its id tech4. just look at it. it has this organic theme but also some really enormous areas. remember the level with the little planet inside that huge room where some sort of crane operates? this was really huge. there were also some vehicle combat scenes where you could fly through some pretty big areas.

i personally did quite some leveldesign for the last few years as a hobby. starting with build in duke3d. and i just love the leveldesign in prey. lot of scenes remind me to the movie “alien”. there are some levels that are just masterpieces. if you ever got in touch with leveldesign and are a oldschool shooter fan, prey is the game for you.

• Kefren says:

The thing with Prey is that there was only one route through each level and you had to work it out (not normally requiring any brainpower). Whereas every level of Duke Nukem 3D I can think of offered multiple routes, often interconnected. If you changed the order you did things then it changed the nature of the whole level. Fantastic design, and one of those things that I have been shocked to find is not replicated in most modern games.

There are other features that old games did better. One is as simple as the fact that bodies of those you killed in Doom stayed there. I groan inwardly every time I play a game where bodies dissolve or even just disappear altogether. After having played Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Call of Cthulhu DCOTM, HL2 and Instinct recently I am left groaning at how cruddy many modern shooters are and thankful that GoodOldGames offers Duke Nukem 3D.

14. manveruppd says:

But the original Prey WAS published by 3DR, wasn’t it? Even though they had outsourced the development. So presumably the IP must’ve been owned by them and got bought up by Bethesda after they went bust. No wonder really, since id were also old chums with 3DR. Wonder where all their other properties went. Did Rockstar end up owning the Max Payne IP?

15. TsunamiWombat says:

Grandy grand, Prey was a decent shooter with some good voice acting (if a deplorable script) and it actually tapped a NEW AND INTERESTING mythos. Plus I liked the main character.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Yep.

It was interesting to have a non-anglo main FPS character, with a non-anglo family and friends.
      (Sure, we didn’t get that much cultural stuff/background, but much more than most FPS games)

Great opening sequence, and the levels managed a genuine ‘alien’ feel (as in, “making me feel like I’m in Kansas no more” as opposed to “ooh look, little green men!”) whilst still having earth-like FPS mechanics.

Oh, and so many ‘cool bits’ like the ‘planet in a glass box’, the level set in the spirit world, and the first time Tommy realises where he is.

If nothing else, it was an FPS that wasn’t “The Same Old Thing with More Pixels”. Looking forward to the sequel, and I *hope* the devs are allowed to continue with that sort of ethos.

16. Hunam says:

I enjoyed Prey. It was good old school fun and I had a great time playing it. Quite glad it’s getting a sequel as it should give me something other than angry foreigners to shoot.

17. Navagon says:

Definitely interested in this. But it’s difficult to know what they’re going to do with it given the conclusion of the first game. Id tech 5 does rule out mods, but there never were any for the first one as far as I’m aware anyway.

18. TechRogue says:

I bought the first about six months ago when I heard there was a Linux version and it was quite good. Really hoping Id tech 5 supports Linux… :/

Stense says:

Well thats nice new. I happened to re-play the first a few weeks back and had a blast doing so. Prey was a good game, but I always felt it had potential for a great game. There wasn’t too much fundamentally wrong with it in my opinion, it had an interesting premise, good atmosphere and nicely thought out elements (the twistyness of the wall walking was really cool). It just felt lacking in some areas, like the monotomous environments, forgettable enemies, weapons that seemed to lack personality and a pretty bloody awful script. Still it was a load of fun, heres hoping the sequel can deliver.

20. Davey Jones says:

I’d quite like to play Timeshift right now. Because Timeshift is an underrated game that actually warrants playing/remembering.

21. SuperNashwanPower says:

I hope they get rid of the spirit walking anti-death bit. If I die, I die. I am a big boy, I know how to do save games. Dont make me thwunk arrows into floatey things to help me get sucked down an ethereal plughole back to shootey land. F9 is a satisfactory reincarnation button ta :)

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Also those up-armoured hellknight type things look cool

22. MultiVaC says:

I have to say, I really enjoyed Prey. There were tons of off-the-wall and cool scenes, and I’m not quite sure why, but I liked the protagonist a lot. On paper it seems he’s just one of those sort of snarky 90s FPS heroes who talks to himself way too much, has the obligatory love interest and such, but he somehow turned out to be a lot more than the sum of his parts and was really fun to play as.

TheApologist says:

Prey was a game which, if I remember correctly, hideous monsters plopped out of giant vaginas that littered the walls.

I liked the game, I just hope the art director has got some therapy in the intervening years.

24. RegisteredUser says:

What I actually liked most about Prey was that it had an extremely polished file structure, perhaps thanks to the superior iD engine.
    Unreal stuff and similiar ends up in over 9000 files scattered all over the place with mediocre’ish compression and so-so load times, whereas Prey had a consolidated .PAK / zip file that you could access just like that and that performed well and didn’t fragment your HDD to heck and back.
    It felt polished and sophisticated and the game actually tried to at least initially give a sense of Duke/3DR-dom, with it’s jukebox and reactive environment items.

It got a bit ugh thanks to the never-die mechanic(why hurrow thar console players) iirc and at times making it a bit unclear what it wanted from you, but it was still a game that you could play through.