Dragonica Giving Away Prizes For Logging In

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2011 at 7:38 am.

The European version of free-to-play RPG Dragonica is having a big old giveaway of prizes for people logging in over “the next few weeks”, starting today. “The very best prizes will be available for players who log in for one hour on 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 days,” say organisers gPotato. Prizes include “an Alienware Laptop, three XPS Dell PCs, Wireless keyboards, headsets and mice, along with lots of gPotato merchandise and in game prizes such as EXP Potions.” Mm, potions. If that isn’t going to get you playing, well. Yes.

I’ve no idea if the game is any good. It’s looking a bit cute.

, .

1. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

That kind of design and character drawing just puts me off.

2. Player1 says:

Sounds like a very desperate move to me…

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

A game so terrible they have to pay people to play it.

• AiglosCelt says:

except for the fact that it’s one of the…erm, the ONLY animu free to play with any semblance of game design. It’s actually rather good for what it is, though not a great game by any means.

• Negativeland says:

The Shoe & Bag shop spam seems strangely fitting.

ETA: Ah, it’s gone now.

4. Lipwig says:

Thanks for following through with the post Jim, your cheque is in the mail.

5. Hoaxfish says:

I played the game for a bit… I think it’s interesting on a design level.

it’s one of those platforming MMOs (2d sidescrolling, jumping, etc), but also allows “into/out of” changing (i.e. you can use “jump pads” to move to the “background” or “foreground”)… if you’ve played Klonoa, you know what I mean.

The combo/juggling system is quite fun. And the class appearance is quite nice (not the anime-ness, but the “idea”, I like the bandanas for rogues especially… no idea why)

Instancing/channels means there’s no “servers” as such (so you won’t be unable to play with friends stuck on a different one, etc)

However, it does suffer for the general F2P levelling problems… you eventually hit a sort of “grind” once you hit about level 15-20. And some of the dungeon bosses (sort of mini-stages like Streets of Rage) are a pain with their wide area attacks.

6. Icarus says:

I actually played this for a while a year or so back. Not a bad game, but the mid levels get terribly, terribly grindy, as with most free-to-play Korean stuff, which is why I gave up on it. Might jump back in if I can be bothered, see what they’ve changed.

7. adonf says:

Free RPG… sounds interesting. Oh wait, free MMORPG! Not interesting at all.

Seriously, is single player gaming a thing of the past so much that even their web site doesn’t mention it’s an online game ?

8. apricotsoup says:

I played it a little and as others have said it starts promising and pretty fun but ends up in an allmighty grind before not that long at all.

Still if people want to go for those prizes you can log in for 1 hour a day for a while and not be too dissapointed.

9. Dominic White says:

Dragonica is basically a really bad, charmless version of Dungeon Fighter Online.

Unfortunately, DFO is published by Nexon, who hate Europe with a firey passion and never plan to release it over here, ever. They said that they’d be releasing Vindictus in Europe in *2010*, and then just kinda never mentioned it again.

Am I annoyed? Yes. Fuck Nexon.

10. joeymcjoeysalot says:

I enjoyed it for the 10 or so hours I played, but it seemed to get a bit trite after a while. Replaying boss instances at higher difficulty and such. Fun to be able to play with a gamepad. It was nice to play something that was more action oriented than I have more hp than you so I’m going to win hotbar cooldowns