Prototype 2 Isn’t Out Until 2012

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2011 at 8:06 am.

That sinking feeling.
But that isn’t stopping Radical from releasing comedy death trailers like the one I’ve posted below. Again, it doesn’t show much more than a brief clip of the game, but at least it’s slowed down so that you can enjoy the passing scenery as a random dude is tumbled to his explosive end. (Via Blues.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

That was… romantic.

2. RCGT says:

I quite liked Prototype’s story and mechanics, so I have decent hopes for this. Hopefully they won’t bow to the prevailing action game tropes, though being a sequel there’s always a danger of that, I suppose.

3. godgoo says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

MY EYES!!!!!

MY BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL EYES!!!!!!!!

4. westyfield says:

Why did it explode? How does that work? I’m about to drive somewhere, what are my chances of meeting a similarly explodey fate?

5. MrEvilGuy says:

hahaha I completely forgot that I played through Prototype until I saw those red branch-like things shoot out – then it all came back to me.

6. Lavs says:

holy fuck. people do not have that much blood inside them.

7. cytokindness says:

It looks like he turned the guy into some sort of virus-bomb. (Hence the tentacle spray.)

That doesn’t look like Blackwatch either – much more of a futuristic, hard-edged style to their armor.

I’m also wondering whether we’re going to get to find out about PARIAH this time…

8. HilariousCow says:

I loved Prototype, and Hulk Ultimate Destruction before that. By far some of my favourite “power fantasy” games, and with fantastic movement to boot. When the simple act of locomotion is intrinsically enjoyable, everything else is enhanced.

9. Davie says:

I see the industrial-strength adhesive has finally worn off Alex Mercer’s hoodie. I appreciate this.

10. pragmatick says:

By the way, the guy that lands on the car is not the one exploding, it’s a cut to another scene with heller shooting tentacles. It’s probably supposed look that way, but look at the scenery, it completely changes. The car, the lamp post, etc. Dunno why nobody sees that.

11. foop says:

It makes a pleasant change to have a trailer where the music isn’t some god-awful testosterone-fuelled sub-standard rock nonsense that doesn’t fit the content. Did somebody actually think about this rather than bowing to a brain-dead PR guy who decided to put Nickelback over the top of it because it’s what he thinks the kids are into?

(Error: Out of hyphens.)

12. Theoban says:

Seems the city is much more alive and detailed this time, the original’s city did get a bit samey after a while (even though it was a copy of New York)

Looking forward to this quite a lot, the first one was excellent and was only let down by having THE WORST BOSS FIGHT EVER (fact)

13. Dozer says:

Wendy I can fly!

14. Dominic White says:

I thought Prototype was pretty neat – better than it’s competition at the time, Infamous – but it really lacked a good close-combat engine, unlike its predecessor, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Hulk had the single best superhero combat I’ve ever seen in a game, where you could kick a guy through a building and keep on pounding.

Infamous 2 just announced that it’s going to have a full built-in level editing/scripting system and that player-made levels will be seeded around the game for you to play on the fly. On top of that, it has far cooler, more superhero-ish looking combat than the original. Unless Prototype 2 can reintroduce Hulk-esque melee brawling, I’m just not interested.

15. Olivaw says:

I adored Prototype for reasons that this trailer for the sequel adequately demonstrates.

I will gladly play a Prototype 2!

16. Iskariot says:

I really liked prototype’s basic concept. It is a good original IP. I hope they improve the AI so the enemy soldiers will react more appropriately when someone jumps of a 14 story building in front of them. I would also like the citizens to be more than just a decoration of screaming destructible meat. Randomly killing innocents should have some consequences I think. In the beginning of the game I tried to avoid killing the uninfected, but in the end I didn’t care at all any more. I loved the ability to ‘take over’ enemy bodies. They should expand on that.

Comment on this story