Shogun 2 Is Out Today, You Know

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2011 at 3:37 pm.

Ooh, someone is in trouble.
If you wanted to read a considered opinion on Total War: Shogun 2‘s single-player, followed by a throughful discussion by RPS readers, then you could read this. But I suppose the question now is: how good is their revamped and revised multiplayer offering? And I ask you: is anyone looking forward to that more than the single-player? Or is this one of those games where multi-player will be forever secondary? Questions!

__________________

« | »

1. CdrJameson says:

Set this to pre-load on Steam last night.

Half an hour after I went to bed Microsoft installed a patch and rebooted my machine.

Cheers for that!

• Teddy Leach says:

There’s a way to stop it from doing that, but for the life of me, I can’t remember what it is.

• Gunder says:

Just change your Windows Update settings to stop it auto-installing stuff?

• Teddy Leach says:

If you do that, it still does the horrendous auto-restart. There’s a permanent way of stopping it through services.msc.

• Njordsk says:

launch steam at startup, download will resume, problem solve.

You’re welcome

• theleif says:

Just tell windows update to just download but not install updates. That way you can choose yourself when to install them.

2. Lewie Procter says:

And as a perfect example of my point about at release retail steamworks games being far cheaper than buying them direct from Steam:
    £21.85 delivered

3. Staggy says:

My retail copy arrived yesterday, and installed to the cries of “THIS GAME HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YOU HEATHEN, HALT YOUR TIME TRAVELING ACTIVITIES”.

Have to wait until I’m home form work now. Grr.

4. ukpanik says:

I hope to see some innovation with their bugs.

• jwfiore says:

Featuring the most advanced bugs yet seen in a Total War game!

Up to 50,000 individual troops failing to realistically react to archers on a hill AT ONCE!

5. ts061282 says:

Second verse, same as the first…

6. Item! says:

Kinda odd that they left out DX10.1 and DX11 support as well as AA – “to be patched later” apparently.

Of course, the game is perfectly playable without all the shiny, but it galls a bit that things like graphics options and modes are now seen as things to patch in post-launch…

• Vandelay says:

AA is missing too? That’s weird. You can always force it through your video card options though.

So, that is Dragon Age 2 and this without dx 11 support in the box, as well as the still yet to be confirmed Crysis 2. Why has this trend suddenly started? Are games needing to move to Blu-Ray?

• Zhou says:

Its actually surprisingly hard to force through AA with driver settings, at least on my 295gtx.

I’ll admit, it pissed me off a fair whack that I couldn’t have AA, and that the game’s looks *do* suffer from it.

The current forum scuttlebutt is that there will be no dx9 AA support at all, which is really taking the proverbial. It comes to something when at release, *noone* is able to achieve the sort of graphical fidelity shown in every single review/screenshot/video. I realise its easy to get huffity about customer rights at the moment, but as far as I know the paying customers currently are not able to get the graphical quality they have been promised.

A patch is supposed to be coming, which will hopefully enable AA for all, but creative aren’t exactly giving a strong showing thus far.

In other news, the actual game is rather excellent, graphical aggravations aside.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

most games with defered rendering, like shogun 2, will not work with most hardware AA, ATI have an edge detect one which will work but i’m not sure about nvidia.

7. jimjames says:

I started to pre-load last night, which sounds like a euphemism for doing some handiwork, hoho ‘handiwork’… that got to about 56% on Steam. Then I switched the computer off. In the morning I carried on the download and Steam had only gorn and unlocked it all, so its got to start from the wanking beginning.. frustrating.

• Heliosicle says:

My computer went to sleep at 44% while downloading, 80% now!

8. eightbitrobot says:

Installing right now!

9. Vandelay says:

Bought this on Steam’s Rome to Shogun 2 complete pack at the weekend, but instead will be playing Medieval 2 with Kingdoms I bought from D2D, as it was cheaper than buying the expansion on Steam. Will probably wait until the Dx 11 patch, if it really is only a couple of weeks, but this does look fairly awesome.

• Commisar says:

well, you are going to like Medieval and from what I hear, Shogun 2 fixes ALOT of the problems found in Empire

10. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

How many Gigabytes is this one then? Thirty?

11. Graydon says:

90% Only 20 more minutes until I get to immerse myself into feudal Japan!

12. ScubaMonster says:

So, any word on AI?

• Duffin says:

Played 2 battle on hard. From what I’ve seen its a mixed bag. In one game the AI knew I had the advantage and simply held the high ground. Sounds simple but in past games they would often just charge uphill, under a torrent of arrows, only to meet a larger army at the top. At one point the AI commited its general to charge my archers, I rushed some spears to protect them and the AI recognised this and swiftly turned his general around, I was impressed. In the other game I had a smaller army but more missile troops and the AI just kept his archers in tight formation when I was clearly winning the battle of attrition. So yeh, a mixed bag from my initial impressions. Though I would put my neck out and say its better than Empire and Napoleon already.

• Garmr says:

No complaints so far. I really like the drop-in-battle feature, that stuff where another player can take the place of the AI in your own campaign battles or vice versa. I fought two battles that way, one where a player dropped in my own campaign battle (my very first battle on the campaign map) and fought as the pesky rebels I crushed. The other battle was where I took place of the AI, when suddenly this button appeared in the middle of my own campaign game, asking if I wanted to join a drop-in-battle which I did and sadly lost.
      It’s thrilling to fight battles that you actually have some stake in, of course you can always reload an if a battle doesn’t go in your favour, but I really like this feature and wonder how it would be to fight an entire campaign that way without ever loading a game.
      I’m playing on hard, and so far the AI has been doing a pretty good job. Though in the instance of the bridge battle I just fought, that flanking manoeuvre the AI sent my way was to incoherent to be any real threat against my counter. But the AI does keep you on your toes at least instead of just forming a passive line. But more battles will have to be fought before its merit can be truly judged.

I put out my neck as well and concur to Duffin’s last statement, it seems it is quite better than Empires AI.

13. Xiyng says:

I know it all too well – I’d probably buy it were it not for Steam. Now I’ll wait until it’s under 15€ with all DLC included, and even them I’ll probably wait until it’s even cheaper.

14. SpakAttack says:

Will there be a Rock Paper Shogun clan?

• 12kill4 says:

waiting waiting waiting, importing is not for the impatient…

15. yurusei says:

Bought this for $90 dollars in Australia. Waaaay overpriced, there’s even a discussion on the Steam forums about this. I don’t mind paying that much for this amazing game, but this price hiking in the publishers and retailer’s part really makes it clear why piracy is still so rampant this days. It’s a vicious cycle I suppose.

And is it me, or did they just overhaul some hotkeys?

• Mijit says:

“Bought this for $90 dollars in Australia”

Why? O_o

Locally, Dungeon Crawl has the Limited Edition for less than $53. Overseas, it’s even cheaper given how well our dollar is doing at the moment.

If you’re willing to pay outrageous prices, publishers will continue charging outrageous prices. Bitch about it all you want, but don’t support it.

• Iskariot says:

90 australian dollars?
      In the netherlands the Limited Edition only costs 39 euro. The cheapest new retail release of a AAA title I have ever seen over here. I was very surprised when I saw that. When I buy the game online at the british play.com I only have to pay 35 euro (incl shipping). But games are always that cheap at play.com as far as I know.

• yurusei says:

Well, apparently it has all to do with the publishers wanting to make more bucks, at least that’s what the community thinks.

It seems smaller software shops are selling it for much cheaper, like, AUD50 cheaper.

16. bit_crusherrr says:

Does the co-op campaign on this make you wait while your friend takes his turn? Was really annoying that in empire late game when you where sitting there for ages waiting for your friend to see to his affairs.

17. laikapants says:

Defying my usual strategy game approach, I launched straight into the Avatar Campaign mode. There I confirmed that I am quite terrible when my Pause Command is no longer available. Won the first on a fluke and pretty handily lost the next three, though two of them were at least kind of close. The hats will probably keep me coming back. Maybe, but main campaign for now.

Also, maybe this was pointed out in the WIT comments, but they did keep the different difficulty sliders. They just sneakily hid the Battle Difficulty within the Game Settings once you’re in the Campaign proper. As far as I can tell, it defaults to match whatever Campaign difficulty you’ve chosen, but you’re free to do as you like from there.

• yurusei says:

I think there are weird balancing issues in the avatar battles as well. I got thrown in with a four star general in my fourth match, and got owned by his matchlock samurais. Gunpowder leaves a bitter taste to the mouth.

18. Smidey says:

I gotta say that co-op multiplayer is freaking awesome. I’ve been playing w/ one of the guys on here and it’s really a hell of a lot of fun. Not only that, but the AI is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. All in all, a really damned good game

• bit_crusherrr says:

Do you have to wait while your friend takes his turn still?

19. Dontdrop says:

I hate you all and wish I was playing it as well (my retail copy is delayed by a week at least)

20. The Sombrero Kid says:

This game is brilliant though, i started playing on normal and the Campaign AI thoroughly trounced me, so i had to switch down to easy, now the battle AI is a little easier than i’d like but not game breakingly.