You Can Have A Look At Pride Of Nations

By Jim Rossignol on March 15th, 2011 at 7:31 am.

Maps! Like the real thing, only with writing on.
In a moment of sleepy wire-crossing I saw “pride” as a collective noun, like with lions or something. But I suppose Pride Of Nations is actually referring to the collective ego of the European nations as the struggled for dominance through the historical period (1850-1920) featured in this complex grand strategy. Anyway, there are two new videos illustrating the game, one with devs Ageod talking about the game, and the other a gameplay trailer, such as it is. You can watch them below, if you want.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Richie Shoemaker says:

I rather like the AGEOD games. They suck you in, pretending to be simpler, focused versions of Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron, perhaps even a kind of elaborate Axis & Allies, then they punch you in the tits with their sneaky complex ways.

If Anthony Beevor endorsed games, I like to think he’d bless those made by AGEOD. I wonder if there’ll be a Spanish Civil War game one day?

2. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

I love Paradox games, but they are beginning to repeat themselves more than often. Perhaps it’s time to try something new, Paradox?

• Jim Rossignol says:

The paradox line up is definitely expanding a bit with things like Pirates Of the Black Cove and Magicka. Got an interview with Wester coming up this week, actually.

• tomeoftom says:

Right.

• Megadyptes says:

The game is being made by AGEOD, not Paradox. Paradox are publishing it, well I think they bought out the company but it’s still handled as a separate developer group, the engine they based their past games on was a lot more focused on warfare and turn based to boot. I’m looking forward to this game as Victoria 2 just isn’t doing it for me.

3. Derpington Hurrrrrrr says:

@Jim
    Can’t wait for it.

EDIT The interview, I mean.

4. fatchap says:

Is this a game about marching homosexuals or is it a different type of pride?

5. Chris says:

Pride of Nations my fat, hairy, pendulous arse!

This game once had the splendid title of Vainglory of Nations. Which the PR fuckwits renamed Pride because Vainglory is a word that teenage American fuckwits (their demographic target for the game), won’t understand.

What about the pride of AGEOD?

6. thebigJ_A says:

Wait. The subtitle of “Pride of Nations” is… “Vainglory of Empires”?

Repetitious title is repetitious.

7. MrThingy says:

“Why ambassador, with your jerky scrolling map you are spoiling us!”

8. Oak says:

I’m curious to see how far beyond a wargame it goes.

9. JB says:

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

That is all.

10. Dozer says:

Related note: the short book the Battle of Dorking, an account of the invasion of England by the German Empire in the 1870s following the Franco-Prussian War. It’s free because it was written 140 years ago:
    (related because of time period, invasions, etc)

11. pipman3000 says:

@thebigJ

it was originally going to be called “vainglory of nations: pride of empires: arrogance of societies: egotism of countries: self-importance of commonwealths: haughtiness of dominions” but paradox said it was too long and made them shorten it and change the main-title to something better

12. Johnny Atom says:

I handle the UK PR for Paradox Interactive and I for one voted for changing the name from ‘Vainglory of Nations’. I like to consider myself a well educated, erudite sort of individual, and even I had never heard of the word ‘Vainglory’! Plus, it really is a shit name for a game. I personally feel ‘Pride of Nations’ is better.

13. RegisteredUser says:

Almost playable on a PC near you in just over 9000 patches.

Comment on this story