Battlefield 3: Shooting, Crawling, Worrying

By Alec Meer on March 16th, 2011 at 2:21 pm.

A pipe? You can't win a war with a pipe! Oh, riiiiiight

DICE: getting very good at making people on the internet go “ooooh.” Case in point, Battlefield 3 – of which we’ve seen very little, but everytime we do it hammers home a sure sense that this is far more than your average man-shoot. Here’s another decent chunk of in-game skulking and firefighting, ably demonstrating both the splodeyfects and the rather impressive barks/ conversation system the game seems to employ.

Feeling a strange niggling sensation I haven’t felt in years. A niggling that says “you should probably upgrade your graphics card, boyo.”

It’s good to think that we’re in for a game that clearly wants to go at least slightly head-to-head with Call of Duty, but isn’t terribly interested in being the same game. With both last year’s Medal of Honor and this week’s Homefront getting their bottoms lightly bruised by critics (albeit only within the ludicrous consumer and publisher perception spectrum of ‘anything less than 8/10 is terrible’), perhaps the age of direct competitors is over. Perhaps we can get back to real choice again, or at least something like it.

Oh, and here’s part one, in case you missed it earlier this month. Features more dogs!

Autumn, then. You get bonus DLC if you pre-order now. I hate that.

, , .

1. coldvvvave says:

A lot of people would like to know where did rear sights of M16 go.

• Alec Meer says:

they were incidental
      so well-rendered
      and so cold

• Mike says:

Love you, Alec.

• GamerOfFreedom says:

The gameplay designer has commented several times on this saying that the game isnt done yet…

• Jesse L says:

Wow.

• mkultra says:

You don’t need the carrying handle to be mounted to the weapon in order to use the rear sight.

• Temple to Tei says:

Beautiful

• Juiceman says:

The Acog has BUIS on top of it.

• michaelar says:

That was absolutely glorious; a literary/military tour de force. Thanks, Alex — you’re amazing!

• molten_tofu says:

Front site no rear with a 1x optic is what I was taught as the best setup for cramped situations (urban), and it is pretty effective IMHO.

Since we’re being nit-picky, I’m disappointed to see that our protagonist never checks the operation of his weapon on reload to see if he’s out or jammed and insists on the charging handle when the bolt catch would do nicely.

Reminds me of CS – remember how you would pull the forward assist to chamber a round?

It seems games haven’t made it very far in the realm of even proper mechanical usage of a firearm, no less gunfighter technique, appropriate attachments and “realism”. But honestly I’m sold at 64 players. So many shooting men to manshoot!

• Savage Henry says:

@mkultra:

The rear sight is built into the carrying handle. With no rear aperture or optics on those rifles, that is some sloppy, sloppy modelling; especially in a showreal for a game that is aiming (sorry) for some degree of realism. If it wasn’t for a nice bit of William Carlos Williams by way of Mr Meer, my inner gun-nut would be looking up for the nearest clock tower by now after watching that video.

• mkultra says:

As a veteran with two tours and a CIB I now understand that “gun” aficionados on the internet know more than I do.

Again, my point stands:

• Stephen Roberts says:

You’re definitely onto something here molten_tofu. I like it when ammo counters are ‘bullets in active clip / number of clips’ and reloading means you don’t get any ammo back from the discarded clip. Better yet you just have to guess at the remaining ammo in your clip. It would be cool if shotguns no longer got pumped incorrectly too.

Also I’m pretty concerned with the saturation of games where getting shot =/= you are dead but instead potrays bullets as something like a particularly mild wasp sting. Properly balanced individuals should be fucking terrified of real guns in real life. Guns are just so damn efficient at making people dead.

• Savage Henry says:

@mkultra (again)

My experience is only limited to a mispent twenties in the TA and some competition shooting in my teens, but I still hope I’m a little more informed and experienced than the average /K/ contributor. Nonetheless apologies for casting your personal knowledge into doubt if it caused offence. Your point about rear apertures certainly stands (lovely picture, btw); it’s a shame that they weren’t on the models in that vid, hence getting a little narky about it (the vid, not you).

• molten_tofu says:

@ Stephen Roberts Play Red Orchestra? I love it for all the things you said. Can’t wait for numero deux!

2. diebroken says:

I can’t wait see the Fox News headlines: “Gamer diagnosed with PTSD after playing Battlefield 3″…

3. Recidivist says:

Jizzed.

4. SuperNashwanPower says:

Yeah I have been having similar anxious graphics-coveting sensations too. Finally a use for that AMD HD 6990 Ridiculo-behemoth (TM) huh?

5. BigJonno says:

I honestly can’t see anything to get excited about in that footage. Yes, it is very, very pretty. On the other hand, it’s more following NPCs around and doing what you’re told. If I wanted that out of a FPS, I’d have bought one of the other similar military manshoots.

• Stevostin says:

First, it IS very pretty. That enough is sufficient to get excited. The way characters move, work with lightning, the “feel” of the place really looks like a “new landmark” for shooter, something we usually take years to see happen. With Rage this year, it’s pretty unexpected to have something stealing the show even before it’s here.
      Second, and although I am really not that much into this kind of corridor shooter, I must say they did something right with the pace and the action. What’s impressive is that they take a relatively minimal action (a sniper, no one being shoot, a rocket fired against a building) and happen to be way more intense than any “kill 120 guys in 10 minutes before there’s a nuke exploding” classic CoD sequence. Another choice that looks “the way to go”.
      Now of course this will in no way be even half as interesting as good old STALKER. But this will sell more, and for once I won’t be bitching about it, because those DICE guys really tried, for once, to push the limit. You can bet your ass that every other major FPS team are currently making extra effort just to look less dull in comparison than they currently do.

• fearian says:

Even though I’ve complained about exactly the same thing a few posts down, I’m going to step in here because of one line. One line you say, that I see alot. And it reeaally pisses me off.

God that makes me grind my teeth. “Oh if I wanted that I’d have bought populist game X, amirite guys?” This got thrown about like rubber bands in school when the Crysis 2 demo dropped. Let’s get this straight:

Did you in some way ‘commission’ this game based on your expectations for a battlefield game?
      Have dice told you lies about this game to entice you to buy it, and now the rug has been swept under your feet?
      Have you even actually pre-ordered the game? Did you only have enough money for COD and Battlefield, but chose battlefield because you knew, in your heart, that it wouldn’t have scripted singleplayer?

Prehaps you did preorder it, I don’t know, but it really doesn’t change the fact that you are berating an unreleased barely teased game for having features you wouldn’t expect from the franchise. I can only assume that if you preordered battlefield, you would do it on the basis of its mutliplayer, something that has yet to be revealed. (And on the well established basis that it is, in fact, a military man shoot).

TL:DR – You are not entitled to have the game of your dreams made for you. If you don’t want to play this game, why would you buy it?

(This sounds like it’s aimed at you, but it isn’t, honest! I agree with everything you said. Except that one line. I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it I ha

• kyrieee says:

Read much into one line? Like overly much?
      He has no interest in a scripted single player war movie game wanna-be. DICE can make whatever game they want, and we can be disinterested if we don’t like it. The line didn’t even imply that he bought it, it just said that he didn’t buy the other games that were just like it.

• BigJonno says:

I see what you mean, and I agree, however the disappointment that many people have expressed at these trailers isn’t about entitlement, but expectation. Simply put, if this was called something else, I’d marvel at the pretties and then move on. However, it’s Battlefield 3. This implies it being a continuation of Battlefield 2. The main Battlefield series is all about large scale multiplayer with vehicles and not heavily-scripted corridor shooting. Possible annoyance at this is compounded by the fact that games in the vein of Battlefield aren’t exactly common, while scripted military manshoots are very much in vogue.

To be fair, I’m happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. I’m working on the assumption that the focus on the single-player is the equivalent of the “New Shit” trailer for Dragon Age. I just don’t think that there’s anything wrong with expressing disappointment at your expectations being dashed, especially when you’re expecting something quite rare and it’s being replaced by something commonplace.

• Sigh says:

It is 2011 and videogamers have had well over a decade of internet-rage practice by this point. Essentially every pre-release video succumbs to caustic criticism and nerd rage regardless of how it is presented. It seems that hardcore fans are able to dissect every frame of every video and provide the unwashed masses with an exact and accurate synopsis of a game that is 8 months away from release. Nerd-rage is almost an expected state of affairs…how long before some impotent “Ban Battlefield 3″ group appears on Steam? Jaded is the new excited.

This is not directed at anyone in particular just inspired by the vibe of the thread.

• ShaunCG says:

@fearian: a delighted 1xendorse from me, sir.

Edit: re. later elaboration from others, my supposition – based on both past precedent (core Battlefield series, BC2′s longevity and DLC focused on MP) and the sanity inherent in developer/publisher retaining the unique qualities of a franchise – would be that Battlefield 3 will also feature the large-scale multiplayer one has come to expect from the series. But that is supposition, which is not expectation, which is not entitlement, which is not complaining about extrapolation about an unreleased product which I’ve not bought.

(This comment is no more directed at anyone upthread than is fearian’s; like him, this is just something that gets my goat.)

/deathshead

• Sigh says:

I just wanted to indirectly reply to no one’s comment in particular but more directly to the indirect assertions that we have all talked around and directly avoided even though the subtext was indirectly alluded to during the constructs that languidly developed indirectly in this thread.

• rivalin says:

and the new internet nerd vogue is throwing around the phrase “sense of entitlement” as an insult in order to show how rational and objectively detached you are in the face of the witless masses.

6. Salt says:

Follow Men Whilst They Open Doors For You
    – Coming 2011

Grumble, grumble. I’m sure it’ll be atmospheric and great and everything.

7. Linfosoma says:

I would love to pre-order, but the EA store is the worst POS I’ve ever seen. First of all, it redirects me to the spanish site, which only accepts the incredibly expensive Euros (I live in Argentina, Im used to paying in dollars on Steam or my own ARS on Impulse).
    Even if I wanted to pre-order, the games are in terrible, terrible spanish, and I dont get any indication that I can change the language in game, so it’s a gamble.
    Futhermore, you can’t pre-order digital releases. If I could simply pre-order like on Steam I would already have Shift 2 and this, but noooo, EA doesnt wants my money so now I’ve gotta wait for a Steam release, and hope it ever gets patched (which rarely happens with EA games in other stores).

/rant

8. gorgol says:

Wow, that actually looks quite good.

9. TotalBiscuit says:

I have no enthusiasm for this at all, how is it anything more than a generic, cinematic, linear man-shoot?

Call me when the multiplayer is unveiled, that’s what matters in a Battlefield game anyway.

• skinlo says:

Well how is the multiplayer going to be more than a generic, pretty, cinematic multiplayer man shoot? It won’t, it will just be a mix of BF2 and BC2.

Something doesn’t need to be amazingly ground breaking and revolutionary to be fun.

• McDan says:

MrBiscuit: The multiplayer will probably be on the same par of excellence as BC2 at least, which to me has been the best multiplayer manshoot so far (but I haven’t played Arma, so I can’t compare it to that). So I’m thinking that this will be the new king of online manshoots.

• bit_crusherrr says:

I agree. Hope BF3 Is as good as BF2. Remember those [RRC] days TB?

• TotalBiscuit says:

The multiplayer can be as generic as it likes because it’s not scripted and linear.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

Scripted, cinematic, linear man-shoots can be good though. It’s just in recent years they’ve tended not to be.

• molten_tofu says:

What JohnnyMaverik said. I remember I almost didn’t finish the original Mafia because I kept getting car sick. And I loved Far Cry 2, except for 90% of the game which was doing nothing but driving around in literally a sandbox. My cat would have loved it.

• Commisar says:

oh my god, STFU until you have seen multiplayer. They haven’t even shown off the multiplayer yet. Is it a crime for DICE anting BF3 to have a good single player campaign?? Well, for you is seems is it.
      /rant

• Calneon says:

Metro 2033 proved to me that linear, scripted, cinematic games don’t have to be bad. Granted, the setting in that game was original but as long as the gameplay in that linear scripted cinematic game is good, it doesn’t really matter what setting it is.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Commisar, your rant is stupid and makes you look dumb. OMG STFU UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN THE MULTIPLAYER. Or, I can judge it based on the promotional material they’ve released so far, which is what it’s there for and say that the singleplayer thus far looks generic as hell.

Or, you could continue to get incredibly angry over nothing for our amusement. Please continue.

10. fearian says:

t struck me watching that ‘sniper’ randomly blow chunks of the building away that that is the worst example of a scripted event. I get the idea, a tense scene straight out of a movie, one hit and your gone!

But when it’s set up like that, with cinematic near misses and squadmates telling you to ‘take the shot’ it takes the game out of it.

Instead of actually dodging sniper fire and figuring out where the sniper is and how to get around it, you are led through fx and given a gun and told where to point it. Are you fucking serious?

The difference is between Someone is trying to kill me oh my god and this looks cool.

I love COD, I love battlefield, I’m sure the singleplayer will be a blast the one time I play through it in a day. But I want valve to come smack these guys round the head.

• Stevostin says:

It’s the point of corridor shooter. It’s pop corn video game. Bitching about it is like criticizing the lack of artistic qualities of the next Michael Bay’s movie.

That being said, I agree : come on, Half Life 3 !

• skinlo says:

HL2 is exactly the same though, it doesn’t make the game any worse just because stuff is scripted.

• fearian says:

I agree Stevo, I don’t mind scripted driven singleplayer (and I know Half-Life 2 is nearly as bad) – but this looks much to much like all control has been taken from the player bar the WASD keys. It’s probably not as bad as that, and certainly the whole singleplayer campaign is likely to be as point and click, but it seems to reflect a trend about where single player fps design is headed that I fundamentally disagree with.

• Tyshalle says:

I think the difference is that in Half-Life 2, shit might be scripted, but you don’t have NPC’s acting as tour guides through the whole thing. In Half-Life, you get to figure things out on your own, move at your own pace, and decide how to approach things.

Plus, Valve is just so much better at making scripted events invisible than most everyone else in the biz. So even though Half-Life 2, Episode 1 was pretty much just you following Alyx around, it was at least interesting and not generic like wave after wave of these linear modern military shooters.

• Commisar says:

well if you see Half Life 3 before 2014, come get me, because it seems Vale is more interested in TF2 hats and L4D map packs than the Half Life series. Also, don’t count on Diablo 3 releasing in 2011 at all

• CrazyBaldhead says:

But, DUDE, that’s a FUCKIN .50!

• Zerotime says:

If only there could be some sort of happy medium between “do everything yourself” and “everything is done for you”.

• Grape Flavor says:

It’s a TRAILER. It’s meant to feel “cinematic”. It’s not even a gameplay demo vid. Stop condemning games based on one or two trailers!

Yeah, and scripted =/= automatically bad. Take away all scripting and basically you’re left with multiplayer games, SimCity, Civ, and Minecraft. Which are cool, you know, but aren’t the be-all and end-all of good gaming.

11. x25killa says:

I just can’t get excited for this game. Couple of years ago, maybe, but thanks to all these other man-shoot games, it just seems… meh. Just hoping this doesn’t turn into a Bad Company 3.

12. Tei says:

But what if you shot to a different building with the rocket? Can you rotate the camera in this game?

(just kidding!, hehe.. I will buy this game for the MP. the SP is for wen the master servers are down)

13. Moni says:

I’m getting the vibe of one of those target render presentation thingies than an actual gameplay video. I’m suspicious that the actual game will be very different from these videos.

14. markcocjin says:

@fearian
    “But I want valve to come smack these guys round the head.”
    I think Valve is probably going in another direction compared to what Dice is trying to achieve. But yeah, I’d like to see how Valve’s work compares to BF3′s realistic movements, LA Noire’s facial animation, and Angry Bird’s excellent physics.

This game is an evolution, not a revolution.
    Also:
    WORST SNIPER EVER

• fearian says:

haha yes! guy needs a career change!

Harlander says:

That’s your example of great physics? Angry Birds? What about…

….
      …. huh, it’s harder than I thought to think of a 3D game where the physics really stand out. I’d say Garry’s Mod, but that’s just Source and you can’t very well say “Ooh, I wonder how well this will compare to itself”

Point to you, I guess

15. Dexemplu says:

I can’t help but feel the deja vu of Cloverfield trailers presentation (as in, they’re as good).

This is what i mean.

16. evilbobthebob says:

It would be significantly more palatable to have squad mates do things like open doors for you if you were actually commanding them, perhaps ala Republic Commando. Then there wouldn’t be the disconnected tagging along for the ride while the devs can still make it pretty linear.

• Grape Flavor says:

I think someone with military experience said here, that if you actually just ran around kicking doors down willy-nilly in a combat zone, you’d take some serious shit. There are procedures for these things, and in the game I presume you aren’t the guy who gets to do those things.

I mean let’s be honest, it’s a gameplay decision first and foremost, but it’d be false to say “I don’t get to run around kicking down doors” is incredibly unrealistic somehow.

stahlwerk says:

Yay, it’s the radiator structure thingy from Mirror’s Edge… just like seeing an old friend.
    Also, you can’t deny the swedish sense of sillyness/humour in that bit of footage: As soon as I saw the potted plants on the edge of the roof I knew they would be used for scripted sniper’s target practice.

18. Njordsk says:

Oh nom nom nom.

19. InsidiousBoot says:

I hate the over the top bass sound when the missile comes out and hits the building, on top of it I hate the sound of the logo…. Why no Battlefield theme remix!? :(

• Poindexter says:

@InsidiousBoot

The sound over the logo IS the Battlefield theme remix. Granted, it’s beginning to tread into Terminator theme song territory, but the theme is there if you listen.

20. mandrill says:

How long will it be before someone scams Fox news with BF3 footage claiming it to be from the helmet cam of a serving squaddie in Afghanistan?

21. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks ok, liking the voice and sound work but that always has been one of Dice’s most noticeable strengths, gameplay looks typically whack-a-mole, follow the pre-set track though, and enough with the fking slo-mo, it doesn’t accentuate the gravity of a moment, quite the opposite, if you want an “oh shit he just got shot in the head” moment that’s great, but just do it, bang, dead, cold and visceral, slo-mo wrecks it, same for the RPG shot on the sniper. I don’t need the important moments highlighted by a gimmicky effect, your customers aren’t all idiots Dice….

Still, I get why some people aren’t all that enthusiastic about the SP campaign, but seeing as I skipped BLOPS, Medal of Honour (2010), Bad Company 2, and will skip Homefront, on the grounds that the SP campaigns looked dodgy at best, I really hope the SP is worth it, since having skipped so many gritty modern day militaristic shooters, I’m starting to yearn for one weirdly enough. MP is the most important part though no doubt… I mean this is Battlefield 3.

• Commisar says:

Bad Company 2 had a pretty good SP campaign so does Homefront from what I hear

• Commisar says:

the slow mo part was post production(hopefully) and just get Arma 2 if you want a great single player FPS that also has great multiplayer

22. mcwizardry says:

So is the bullet impact of the sniper rifle scripted or not?

• JohnnyMaverik says:

I’m guna say scripted… I mean seeing where that sniper actually was in the end makes me think that the first couple of shots may have actually been physically impossible, meaning it was most likely just a triggered particle+sound effect and not an actual shot. I’m also guna guess there’s a set path to follow, with a little leniency but if deviated from too much, the player will die, also a scripted event and not an actual shot from the sniper.

yhancik says:

Plants vs Sniper.

24. RadioactiveMan says:

Ew- Prone strafing. Can whoever created that please go back in time and tell their former self to think of a better idea?

The game does look awfully pretty though… Helmets, goggles, and body armor are a good solution to avoiding the uncanny valley.

• Ertard says:

Yes, very much so. Prone strafing looks so incredibly unnatural.

Also, why is the sniper so terrible? I did crack a huge smile when the building kicked up a ton of dust and generally collapsed though.

• Ovno says:

I don’t know about you but if I lie on the floor and try and move left or right I find that I can, strange that….

Though a better animation would perhaps have been a roll or something…

25. pupsikaso says:

Singleplayer, again? Why do they think anyone that’s interested in BF3 (the guys that play MP) are at all interested in seeing carefully scripted dreary SP?

• Trousers says:

I for one played BF 1942 / BF2 / 2142 for YEARS and always craved a well done singleplayer. I was kinda disappointed with BC2′s campaign, but this looks like the kind of atmospheric, and more importantly slower paced single player that I’ve been waiting for.

I would probably buy it for the campaign mode alone if it retains that hectic, under fire feel that these trailers imply.

26. Nick says:

Hope the voice coms work, it would be a shame if they released a game with voice coms that never, ever worked properly and failed to fix it.

¬_¬

• Njordsk says:

Wait people use voice com in games?

I think i’ve heard someone speak in BC2 once or twice at max. And I’m not sure it was a voice, could have been burp or something.

People don’t communicate, and if they feel like it they just join a community with fixed server/mumble.

Me think

• Nick says:

“I think i’ve heard someone speak in BC2 once or twice at max”
      Thats because it doesn’t work. It will transmit maybe two or three times then stop.

Quite apart from that, the feature is there but remains broken, it doesn’t matter if you think “people” don’t use it, they included it and never made it work properly. That is unacceptable.

• Ci2e says:

DICE won’t know it’s a problem unless they are told. BF2/2142 both had voice comms and always worked. Most people use TeamSpeak or Ventrilo anyway. Thanks for the info though. I thought everyone was ignoring me, but now I know it breaks after transmitting a few times..

• Trousers says:

Voice chat has always been an immersion breaker for me, WoW, FPS, whatever. Am I alone in this?

27. Ricc says:

Hmm, I didn’t get much of a “conversation system” out of that. You can’t answer your squad mates, can you? That’s something I expect to see in a BF multiplayer mode, though. Seeing enemies in other games and not being able to “spot” them and alert my team to their presence, has driven me insane since I first played BF. :)

That’s why I like the Deputy class in Lead and Gold. ^^

28. Alistair says:

Does anyone else remember colours? They were lovely, back when I was a boy. We had reds, greens, blues – we had so many they came in primary and secondary flavours. Good times.

29. GenBanks says:

So what if the single player isn’t Brothers in Arms style squad tactical leadership and has you following scripted triggers… it’s just setting the scene for the 64 player multiplayer :D

• bill says:

Tried to play Brothers in Arms last week. It might have squad tactical commands, but it’s still a horribly horribly linear very narrow corridor shooter. I thought the addition of squad commands would make it more interesting, but they just made it more of a chore to get through. then again, i gave up and uninstalled after a few hours, maybe it opens up later.

That said, i do think the addition of some limited squad controls might help a little.

30. ShaunCG says:

I would like to take this opportunity to complain about something of which I have no experience.

31. vodkarn says:

In the same vein of the ‘sniper sucks, wow’ I’m going to have to be: ‘that guy’

1st) If that’s a ‘fifty’, I’m going to assume 50 cal. If it is, man is it quiet when it hits metal.
    2nd) Why the hell would a sniper, surrounded by highrises, go halfway up a building to snipe?
    3rd) From the angles provided, how is he hitting where they start on the roof?
    4th) In WHAT MILITARY is the standard method of avoiding snipers to go one at a time, in the same exact spot, without any cover fire? If that sniper had just waited for them to move, he could easily have killed at least one of them when leader waddles out, then the other three ducklings follow single file, one at a time…

Anyway, I’m psyched about the multiplayer, but the single player really is just ‘another’ modern day shooter, although with the frostbite (2) engine.

I have to say though I miss the humour of Bad Company, especially the first one. I don’t think I’ve giggled as much in a Modern Day Shooter Of Men ever. Watching one of your squad prance down a hill to find gold, only to discover you’ve declared war on another country accidentally… was gold.

• Crescend says:

Having spent a year in army those same things really jumped out for me too. Inconsistencies with real life never really bothered me this much when playing modern warfare games as they were so over-the-top and arcadey anyways, but here they’re really pushing for more realistic depiction of modern war so these kinds of things should be polished out of the gameplay as well.

Also, the player character didn’t seem to have to unlock any safety measures from the AT before firing it (without using the sights!), so that thing could’ve triggered on the guys back any second.. Little things like this really bug me out >_<

32. clownst0pper says:

Does the crawling animation look very odd (left arm) or is it just me?

33. Tyshalle says:

There’s something about how good those NPC’s look, but not quite good enough, that it’s actually distracting. Like, in other games, like CoD, or any other game for that matter, the avatars look good, but are obviously videogame characters.

This has a level of photorealism that it actually seems out of place. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I found myself very distracted during the whole video by how everything was so close and yet so far, that it was very disconcerting.

• Pyrosity says:

Uncanny Valley?

• Tyshalle says:

I don’t know. Maybe. But I had thought that the Uncanny Valley was more about people’s feelings about robots and CG characters and their ability to empathize with them. This is more about verisimilitude, or immersion, or whatever you want to call it. My brain does not seem to be buying it like it does in games that look good, but are still obviously videogames (CoD, HL2, Stalker, etc.). It’s like with other games, my brain can accept that I’m inside a cartoon or something, but with this, it’s like my brain is rejecting the Matrix or something. It’s odd!

yhancik says:

You’re right about the uncanny valley, Tyshalle.

The term is just one of the most misused one in blog comments :p

34. Unaco says:

So… is this what the people who made Modern Warfare 2 (then got fired) are making now?

35. Tyshalle says:

Not sure where you’re getting CoD clone from. CoD has moved in the direction of high octane over the top Bond-movie action thriller. BF3 looks like it’s going more for an exaggerated, but gritty realism take on actual modern warfare. Where things are very slow paced, followed by brief periods of adrenaline-fueled combat.

36. Emperor_Jimmu says:

I enjoyed the part were they rolled the rocket launcher to the player. It is true, he is the best shot. Hopefully your character is the best at opening doors as well.

37. Narretz says:

Well, another interactive action movie. Hooray!

• ninjapirate says:

Now if we were able to reprogram the buttons on DVD-player remote controls (for instance: the “pause/play” button as the left mouse button), we wouldn’t need PCs to play our games anymore (haha, get it? “Play” our games?).
      Why hasn’t anyone thought of that before?

• sidhellfire says:

Hah, so true.

38. Rii says:

If that was actually a .50 calibre sniper rifle (aka an anti-vehicle rifle) he could’ve shot clear through that tin metal shit they were hiding behind…

• sidhellfire says:

I think, that you had missed few things here:

Firstly, If they did enter the rooftop, how the heck that sniperdude knew them coming, and lined up for a shot that actually hit flower pot faster, than even marine could move into area covered by sniper.
      Secondly, how the hell did that shooter hit the pot, which is clearly no way anywhere in a line of fire. You can obviously see later on, that the enemy is at least 1 storey below the “L” letter. There’s no chance, that these boxes were not obstructing his view. That’s ridiculous.

39. Auzy says:

If I wanted a good single player I would play a Bioware game, sorry but Battlefield = Multiplayer. Anyone whose ever played the franchise knows this….

• My2CENTS says:

And Yet everything they showed till now is from the Campaign. No real Multiplayer game-play, cause i’m curios how Frostbite 2 handles 64 players and jets. Also notice the jagged Ambient Occlusion around the gun and at the end, before they prone, how the player is standing out in the open and the sniper is somehow always “missing”. Scripted as hell and i don’t think this is the way to go. I mean yeah script dialogues and cinematic, but come on every move here is scripted. From opening the door to slow-down to aim with the AT-4.

• Auzy says:

I might have to upgrade to u-verse internet and my poor comp might explode. Honestly I already get a 140 average ping on 32 players BC2 on my DSL line. Cant imagine what 64 players would do on an advanced engine.
      Yeah I mean scripted does suck, but does anyone know if this is the entry level into the campaign? Maybe they just want to hold our hands for the beginning until we get used to it. Much like a tutorial.

Reset says:

“(albeit only within the ludicrous consumer and publisher perception spectrum of ‘anything less than 8/10 is terrible’)”

Is that really that ludicrous? Or is it consumers and publishers validly recognizing and factoring in the degree of score inflation that happens on most game review sites? Particularly for big budget titles where said sites are wary of offending the game’s makers and publishers?

• matrices says:

Agreed. There was some grumbling about this issue as THQ’s stock fell precipitously on the back of middling Metacritic scores.

Where’s the problem? I’m 28 and married and work full time, and write on politics in my spare time. My time is valuable to me, and I’m not spending it playing every mediocre game in existence just because it’s an FPS. Especially not when it retails for $60 and includes a 6-hour SP campaign.

41. Navagon says:

So another FPS where you’re basically just following along behind everyone else. I called this one when they only showed you about 3 seconds of gameplay. They’re practically beating you over the head with it now.

42. Felixader says:

Gaah! I really should stop reading Comment Sections under Trailers-. X-P

43. wazups2x says:

I love how all of the gameplay shown has been on the PC. It’s rare nowadays for the PC to be the lead platform.

Can’t wait for this game!

44. HeavyStorm says:

I’m late to the party, but:

Gorgeous. As in “I haven’t been surprised by a game graphics in a long time until today” gorgeous.

Boring. As in “Ok, can I do anything? Oh, no, I have to follow, ok. And now? Oh, I have to shoot… with the weapon _you_ choose for me? At the target that _you_ spotted? Ok”

Want to play. Yeah. It’s boring, I feel dumbed by it, etc. Exactly how I felt through the whole campaign of Blops. The whole. Because I played it to the end. After all, it’s like, 5 hours of gameplay at hard mode, 3 and a half at normal, and you almost don’t die. I feel dumbed — just as dumbed as I feel when I watch a action flick. Which is a great time, I go to the movies every weekend and will keep on going.

In other words, I reserve myself the right of saying that a certain game may suck, but also the right of playing it and having fun. I mean, do anyone has the guts to say that Beethoven is crap or that Wagner should never had wrote a single piece? Of course not. But most of us can’t stand listening to it. This is the opposite. I know it’s crap, but hey, sometimes, crap is enough.

After all, how often does a real groundbreaker, with triple A graphics and innovative mechanics/storyline/etc title comes out? Once a year?

45. bill says:

I guess waiting for guys to open doors is as good as watching “loading” screens/icons.
    But I wish they’d make it a bit less guided.

Valve are great at guiding the player’s attention to the right place without actually having to specifically point it out. If you play the Lost Coast exp with the director’s commentary they talk about how they use different tricks to make sure the player is facing in the right direction when something happens.

I thought Republic Commando was too linear and confining, but these days i can’t help but feel integrating some of it’s elements into things might at least give the player some illusion of control. Being the squad commander and actually ordering guys to smash down doors, etc..
    Might have helped homefront too.

46. GenBanks says:

I could obviously be wrong but it seems to me that the above BF3 situation is based directly on this CNN coverage of Marines in Fallujah in 2004. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1NgRdbPbc8
    You see them discuss suppressing fire, get up and open fire, so that one of them can fire the AT gun

47. Davee says:

I don’t know about you, but I think DICE should stop trying to make the next CoD and make a proper BF game instead. Too long have we been without battleship-on-battleship action and submarines.

So less minimalism and more ‘big battlefield, big vehicles’ like it used to be! I for one am not very interested at all in another single-player FPS set in a modern era. No matter how awesome the sound and destruction is in Frostbite.

48. Apocalypse 31 says:

Oh yay, another game with a fully automatic M16. I guess we forgot all the weapons knowledge we had in BF2. This is not BF3, this is going to be BC3