Hans Zimmer Working On Crysis 2 OST

By John Walker on March 16th, 2011 at 9:32 pm.

Wow, DOG's looking ill.

EA have just announced that the Crysis 2 score has been worked on by Hans Zimmer. Er, actually, let’s start again. Open this page in another window, and then press the button at the same time as you read that. Done? See, that’s why this is worth a post. Zimmer, who’s behind the excellent scores of Inception, Dark Knight and Renaissance Man, has also worked on, oh, Modern Warfare 2. Did that have music? Quite how involved he really is becomes a little more confusing when you read the press release.

According to EA,

“Zimmer and his team featuring Lorne Balfe worked with the existing composers Borislav Slavov and Tilman Sillescu to create the intense and dramatic score for Crysis 2.”

I mean, he could have made the tea. But Zimmer has reported his interest in the project, saying,

“I was drawn to Crysis 2 because of Crytek’s passion for the project and the world they created. And I am very happy with the outcome of our collaboration.”

(The “Will this do?” is silent.)

The game comes out on the 25th, at which point we’ll be able to figure out if he’s right. Meanwhile, here’s a trailer about how you can go fast.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lambchops says:

Err . . . John already covered what I wrote. Teaches me for rushing to the comments without actually reading the post. caught red handed there I have been.

The shame.

• Fwiffo says:

Skimming the article to get the first post you say?

• Lambchops says:

More “I saw this thing on the internet. There’s no way that anyone else on the internet could possibly have ssen that. I ust share said thing. Then epeople will love and respect me and i’ll probably win some sinternet points. Hooray for internet points. Whatever they are.”

2. Fwiffo says:

Also, I think it’s more of a BDWUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPH

3. JohnnyMaverik says:

Meh, you could go faster on Crysis… why did they have to take out maximum speed!?

It was my favourite… :’(

4. Inigo says:

But that piece was composed by Zack Hemsey, not Hans Zimmer.

5. Hentzau says:

“…also the large truck of money they had delivered to my front door.”

• Bobsy says:

Hans Zimmer is the most prolific and high-earning film composer active today. He doesn’t need to take work for the money.

Look him up on Spotify. He’s done music for EVERYTHING. Ever.

• Hentzau says:

Oh, I know who he is, which is exactly why he’s doing this for money. It’s like getting Patrick Stewart or Liam Neeson to voice characters in your game – they’re not doing it because they were drawn to Bethesda’s passion for the project. Not that I’m saying Zimmer would turn in a performance anywhere near as disinterested as those two; his score for Modern Warfare 2 was pretty good. Or at least pretty not terrible. But he’s doing it because he’s being paid for a service first and foremost.

(Mainly it was a sarky comment about the generic transparency of the PR-speak though.)

6. Risingson says:

Hans Zimmer proved that he is now much worse than his pupil Gregson Williams in MW2. I’m sure that he will prove how much worse he is than Inon Zur with Crysis 2.

Lion King days are faaar behind.

• The Pink Ninja says:

This year he did the Inception soundtrack and the year (or two) before he did the Dark Knight soundtrack

Hans Zimmer is the fucking man.

• CrazyBaldhead says:

Meh.

• Moni says:

I think he only did the main theme for Modern Warfare 2, so I think I’ll let that one slide.
      But before recently, I think from Dark Knight onwards, he just tended to do fairly generic stuff. In his newer music he’s started to do more interesting things; or maybe that’s just for Chris Nolan films.

• Xocrates says:

As bobsy notes, Mr. Zimmer has made music for everything ever. Most of it, since as far back as I can remember, tends to be fairly generic, but that may be a consequence of pretty much every other soundtrack in a summer blockbuster being made by him.

He does have some pretty exceptional works here and there, but John Williams he ain’t

• Jamison Dance says:

He did the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack as well, which I thought was pretty fantastic.

• Thants says:

Posting a comment consisting only of “Meh” should be a bannable offense.

• DrazharLn says:

meh

7. Ricc says:

Trailer made me laugh. Ominous dude explains suit powers: “Enjoy that power while you have it, for one day it will be reclaimed.”

Is that when you ban me from your forums and freeze my account, EA? :3 (Also, hot damn, looks amazing!)

8. Mashakosha says:

I’d say it’s more of a BWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM but that’s my opinion.
    Have to say, seeing that headline made my heart skip a beat. Had no idea he’d worked on any video games, but I look forward to hearing his influence.

9. The Army of None says:

That trailer looks damn slow compared to Bulletstorm.

10. Monchberter says:

That’s the most Crysis 1 gameplay trailer i’ve seen so far. Even the shotgun and the PC style ‘small weapons, not huge screen filling guns’ aspect ratios looks exactly the same.

Is this a last minute credibility grasp for a PC crowd narked about the consolitis infused multiplayer trailer?

Possibly. It worked on me, i’m considering pre-ordering again now.

11. Shadow Aspect says:

mans wot go fast

12. GenBanks says:

I loooooove the Gladiator soundtrack. That’s probably my favourite work by him :)

• myca77 says:

What he said, although Gladiator had as much to do with the people he collaborated with, especially Lisa Gerrard, gotta love Dead Can Dance.

13. SirKicksalot says:

I’d be more excited if Peter Antovszki worked on it. His Warhead OST was miles better than Zur’s Crysis soundtrack.

The Crysis 2 demo music got annoying really fast.

14. Starky says:

I think my girlfriend may have just dumped me, I’m not entirely sure – you see I was on the phone with her as I was reading this, and discovered that button.

Which obviously and inevitably resulted in me spamming it at her every time she began to speak.
    A few minutes of this and she hung up, I then sent her a voice mail of me spamming that button repeatedly…

I’m 28 years old – I am a mature, sensible chap – but even I could not resist that button.
    So if I have indeed ended a relationship tonight, I blame you RPS, I blame you!

15. RLacey says:

From the wording of those quotations, I suspect that Remote Control Productions (Zimmer’s music company) is working on it rather than Zimmer specifically. Which is still good, but it’s hardly like Zimmer himself is going to be doing much…

16. BunnyPuncher says:

IIRC Zimmer also wrote the excellent music for Pirates of the Caribean as well as the slightly less excellent (and remarkably similar) music for Gladiator.

• BehemothReprezent says:

In fact, Mr Zimmer was late in time so his sidekick Klaus Badelt did the work in just a few days. Thats what I read in an interview..

• myca77 says:

Aye, good soundtracks, but as I spammed up above Gladiator was a combination of Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard, formerly of Dead Can Dance, the best thing to come from the 4AD label.
      Also if publishers are after these big name composers for their manshoots, why no Ennio Morricone love, or better yet a Danny Elfman manshoot?

Edit: Ooh, Ooh, have a angelo badalamenti manshoot too.

17. gganate says:

That trailer was nice. Still no way I’m paying 60 bucks for a game, EA. I’ll wait for the steam sale.

18. Chucrute says:

I personally like this piece. Really powerful.
    *DA VINCI CODE SPOILERS*

19. BeamSplashX says:

I just want Howard Scarr (Zimmer’s synth programmer) to write an entire game soundtrack on this.

20. Baron_Crumbly says:

True Romance… and Broken Arrow.

Zimmer is ace.

21. negativedge says:

Hans ZImmer mroe liek Hans Shitter

gamers have no taste

22. SuperNashwan says:

It’s quite unlikely Zimmer wrote a single note of Crysis 2′s music, stuff like this would get passed off to one of his underlings (who are probably exceptionally talented people, just not the man himself) for thematic development and then those simple themes sent on to Crytek’s music bods who actually produce a score. Zimmer’s only involvement then being branding. Waste of money imo, there are literally hundreds of commercial composers who can accurately pastiche Zimmer’s hollywood style for a fraction of the cost.

• myca77 says:

I kinda agree, I know some video game composers, and there is a slight dis-trust of big name hollywood composers coming in, taking their work and getting paid a ton more, and worse composing for film and games are very different skills.

Personally I want to see some good game composers do some film work, but hollywood still looks down on the games industry in many ways.

23. Tommo says:

If i see Zimmer on any credits for a movie I know Im in for another run of the mill , big budget blockbuster which really bores the shit out of me. Pirates of Caribbean for example.
    Am i alone?

24. adonf says:

I don’t think it is possible to have a more German name than him

25. MisterT says:

Crytek: We have Hans Zimmer doing our OST! he’s pretty cool guy and lots of people know him know from that popular inception movie.
    EA: Hey, guys that do our marketing, could you do an ad for Crysis 2, try not to gimmick it up like Dead Space 2, we don’t think that went over too well.
    Marketers: What song should we use
    Crytek: well, our game is really set in new your and we-
    Marketers: Something that says “New York!”
    Marketers: Like that Sinatra song? kids these days wouldn’t get it.
    Crytek: We have Hans Zimmer. he di-
    Marketers: Let’s get BoB’s brand new quasi-cover, that’ll go well (BROTIP: It’s actually awful, compared to dubbing almost anything else over the ad, from Sinatra to Kayne, even a COD:BO ad)
    Crytek: -oh. I guess we’ll get back to working on DX11 and stuff.

26. HermitUK says:

This would explain why the “Get Ready” countdown in multiplayer is the Inception Bongs.

Comment on this story