Hitman 5 Is Coming, Has ARG

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2011 at 8:38 am.

Has the milkman been? No.
We’ve heard rumours for a while now, but it seems like the reveal must be getting close. Why? Well, the chaps over on HitmanForum have stumbled across what seems to be an ARG teasing the fifth Hitman game. Reading the thread, I’m not sure it entirely makes sense, but it’s early and I haven’t had my tea.

In other news: HITMAN 5! It’s enough to make a man want to play Blood Money again.

, .

1. mollemannen says:

it’s probably just becuse i recently played trough all the hitman games. my psychic energy convinced the danes it’s time to pick up the ballers yet again.

QuantaCat says:

YES. I think Blood Money was the only really good sequel to Hitman: Codename 47. The money system actually made sense..

3. Solcry says:

This may be because its 5.00 a.m. right now and I haven’t slept – but that thread seems ridiculously awesome.

4. DaftPunk says:

Imagine Hitman 5 being similar to new splinter cell game lololol,i really hope that won’t happen x)

5. wasabi2k says:

As probably the one Game that Made Me, I am double plus excited that the latest iteration is coming out.
    Having played every one to death (all items, silent assassin on all etc), this is probably the only series I am willing to replay over and over and over.
    EXCITED.
    Also I am way too thick for ARGs.

6. int says:

Here’s to hoping they don’t make it console exclusive.

7. Orija says:

Is that a dent above his left eye?

Rinox says:

Not sure if this says something about AAA sequels these days or just about my own cynicism and jade, but my enthusiasm for a new Hitman game is already dampened by a ‘yeah let’s just wait and see if it’s not a watered down cross-platform title first’. :-(

When did I become this way?! *acts out dramatic hands-to-heaven scene*

• Ian says:

Would you like a great big hug?

C’mon, open your arms and gimme the good stuff.

• steggieav says:

I wouldn’t worry too much. All Hitman games except 1 were cross-platform, and they turned out fine. I just hope they learned something from the miserable failure that was Kane and Lynch 2.

• Lacessit says:

We OBVIOUSLY need this in the background now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfxqZagHXbM

• sinister agent says:

Thank you for that injection of sanity. People really need to get over the OMG DUMBING DOWN FOR CONSOLES!! bogeyman.

9. karry says:

ARG…am i supposed to know what that is ?
    Ok, i’ll just google it : Australian Railroad Group ? Automotive Replacement Glass ?
    Oh, i see, Alternative Reality Games…and…what does that mean in the context – i have no idea.

10. mollemannen says:

also, something hitman haven’t touched on yet is multiplayer. imagine executing a perfect plan with a buddy or two.

11. BooleanBob says:

Good God man. Doing anything before one has had one’s tea, let alone submitting a dispatch before the steely, unremitting gaze of the international infopipes is tantamount to madness.

• Tizoc says:

Or silently assassinating a buddy or two.
      Or mass murdering strangers, it’s all good to me.

Edit: that was a reply to mollemannen, of course…

12. Kevin says:

Chuck Jones (the creator of Bugs Bunny and other Looney Toons) always said that an artist has a million bad drawings in them to get out before they produce something worthwhile. Let’s hope that with game development, two bad games is all IO Interactive needed before they can make another good game (and a sequel to one of my favourite stealth-action games, no less).

• Kaira- says:

I’m pretty sure you are playing it wrong, it is stealth-puzzle game in my opinion. *mildly irritated fist-shake*

• Kevin says:

Well sometimes I like to pretend I’m Tom Cruise in the Korean nightclub in Collateral. And I don’t know about you, but it’s oddly soothing to take a fully upgraded shotgun, Hardballers akimbo, and dual-mag MP5 to the hill-billy wedding mission and go nuts.

I’ll admit, the first time I played it, I’d take a guy’s uniform, then think to myself: “I don’t need him waking up.” Then put a .45 round into his temple.

13. BrendanJB says:

I really didn’t enjoy the hitman series much. Played 1, 2 and Blood Money and only got about half way through all of them. I kept going because I thought the missions would open up a little more and that the AI might get a little smarter, but neither happened.

Many of the missions require you to do things in the exact way that the developers want you to, or you die/fail, the menus and control scheme are irritating and cumbersome, and the characters are less than engaging.

Not to say they are bad games. Not at all. Just a little too finicky for my liking. I’ll be keeping my eye on 5 to see how they bring Agent 47 in to the new era of gaming conventions.

• gorgol says:

This was my feeling too.

Too easy, too scripted, and tbh it seemed like I would be able to get through it by treating it as an FPS…

• AwesomeOwl says:

@Gorgol
      Could you elaborate on the “too scripted” part? How would you make a game like this without making it scripted?

• Kotti says:

“Many of the missions require you to do things in the exact way that the developers want you to, or you die/fail”

Did we play the same game? Sure there was usually some obvious way of doing things but there was always a ton of other ways of getting things done.

• Kaira- says:

I’ll take an example out of Blood Money, I don’t know which mission but there was a recovering alcoholic and something like that. How to kill him?
      a) drop a piano(!) on him
      b) poison the beer he has hidden
      c) shoot him
      d) strangle him
      e) push him down from balcony

I’m pretty sure there was other ways to kill him also, but those were the only ones that came to my mind.

• Shih Tzu says:

Yeah, what? Blood Money is one of the few games designed to give you the freedom to come up with ten different solutions to a problem, even if most of them are ideas that the developers planned for. Sure, you usually can’t just walk up and shoot your target, because of all the repercussions that follow, but the fun is in sneaking in and observing the NPCs’ patterns of behavior, looking for just the right chink in the armor, the perfect opportunity to strike. The whole point of the game is that each stage is a toybox, a little closed system, and your object is to study it and find ways to disrupt the system that achieve your goals but don’t also get you killed or discovered.

I played through most of it with the idea that I’d check GameFAQs either after beating a level or after getting sick of it. Most of the FAQs there just say “Here is how you beat the level” and give one solution, which is completely missing the point. However, there’s one author who actually gets it; their FAQ lists eight or more possible solutions for each level, then editorializes about which ones are fun and which ones are for weakass chumps. Man, I ought to install that again.

14. Heliocentric says:

I await a post saying that the hitman arg has resulted in dozens of deaths because people misunderstood the context.

15. Jonathan says:

Hmm, I tried Blood Money a couple of times, and just bounced off the tutorial mission. I guess I should probably try to stick with it, huh?

• Dominic White says:

How can you even have trouble with the tutorial mission? It literally walks you through every single step.

• Jonathan says:

1) Alcohol.
      2) It’s not that I found it too hard — it just didn’t make it feel like something I wanted to spend time on.
      3) Minecraft was asking me to play it.

• gorgol says:

@ Dominic White:

That was precisely the issue imo. It walks you through every single step…

And no that doesn’t make a good tutorial imo. A good tutorial lets you know how to control your character and gives you a general overview of what you can do in the game, imo. Spoonfeeding and handholding you through a few missions is not it.

• Joe W-A says:

Yeah, the tutorial was definitely the worst thing in the game.
      Another way of putting that would be that it is the only bad thing in the game, which is otherwise one hundred percent magnificent.

• Shih Tzu says:

I literally don’t even remember there being a tutorial mission. It must have been really dull.

The first thing I remember doing in the game is raiding the party at the Latin American mansion. Whereupon I would always immediately grab the American movie star as a hostage and start shooting everyone, then reload. I think I may be a danger to society.

I forget, when you have a hostage, can you shove them places? I want to push him off that cliff.

• Soon says:

Hmm. I remember the tutorial being harder than some of the missions.

16. Ian says:

DO WANT.

*Goes into another tedious speech about how much he loved the crowd in Blood Money’s “Murder of Crows” level*

Harlander says:

Oh yes! There’s not a lot of better portrayals of crowds in games than that crowd.

• Kadayi says:

Yeah I loved that level for that very reason (I also thought the nightclub scene in K&L was as good as well). Metropolitan environments should feel and be crowded and more often than not most developers fail in this respect.

17. Kotti says:

I did send you a hint about this over two weeks ago…

18. dragonhunter21 says:

I keep seeing a date mentioned in the thread- September 7th, 1964, 47′s birthday. I ran the numbers, and…

Well, September 7th, 2011 is his 47th birthday.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT

• MrCrun says:

7th of September 2011 is MY 30th birthday! Coincidence? I THINK SO!

It’d be nice if it did come out then but it’s a Wednesday so unlikely. Boo. :-(

19. superemmjay says:

It’s enough to make a man want to play Blood Money again.

Not quite.

Stellar Duck says:

I love that it’s called the HitmanForum. I can’t help but imagining some sort of job board and social site for hitmen. I guess that is the site 47 browses in the games.

21. StreetCleaner says:

Lots of speculation on the forum. Given the context of the discovery, this is most likely the Hitman 2 movie. Why would all the hints hover around film festivals?

• Kotti says:

The second picture (the one with the script) mentions gameplay, so this is definitely relate to the game.

22. Teddy Leach says:

I love you.

23. Shadowcat says:

“Grrr, Arg.”

24. adonf says:

This is awesome ! Now what’s an ARG ?

25. Juiceman says:

I stopped going to those forums when the majority of people on there tried to tell me the Hitman movie wasn’t a disaster. So until I see incontrovertible evidence of Hitman 5, those people are all crazy zealots.

26. Callum says:

This makes me very excited. Hitman: Blood Money had only a few niggling faults but otherwise was a fantastic example of a social stealth game done right. The previous Hitman games were pretty good but I always felt let down by the inconsistent AI. Blood Money got it almost spot on. It’s a shame though, every time I think about replaying Blood Money I install it and only get as far as half way through the tutorial mission because of a strange sort of microstuttering which goes on whenever I move the camera. I assume it’s a Windows 7 issue but I’ve never found a fix.