Three Moves Ahead Is A Strategy Podcast

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2011 at 7:02 pm.

Words of attrition
Want to hear me, Rob Zacny and Julian Murdoch talk about Men Of War, and specifically Men Of War: Assault Squad, for almost an hour? No, okay. Well if you do know anyone who does then they can tune into the latest episode of the Three Moves Ahead podcast right here. We talk about Men Of War. A lot. I think I repeat myself, and probably lose the thread a bit, before saying something profound. (No tea for an hour!) It’s a fun time.

, , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

“Want to hear me, Rob Zacny and Julian Murdoch talk about Men Of War, and specifically Men Of War: Assault Squad, for almost an hour?”

I don’t know, sounds like a big commitment timewise… what common experience would you say was a similar experience so I can judge whether or not I’d want to without having to commit.

• ScubaMonster says:

That’s my problem with a lot of podcasts, they just last way too long. I know I can multitask and not just sit there listening to it and doing nothing, but even then, I can only listen to people talk about a subject for so long before I start tuning it out.

• Mike says:

Three Moves Ahead is a really good podcast. I use it for commuting/walks to town, it’s nicely rambling and they say lots of things I don’t understand, but it’s like snooping on a really good pub talk.

I thought it was great, Jim! You sounded weary though.

• Fumarole says:

My limit is about twenty minutes, the time it takes to drive to and fro work.

• jti says:

Nothing really worth knowing happens in 20 minutes.

2. kyrieee says:

I’ve never listened to it, but I do listen to both the RPS podcast and the GWJ CC so I guess I will have to check this out =)

3. balooba says:

Three Moves Ahead is great. Jim is great. Men of War is great. I expect this to be great.

4. Warth0g says:

Three Moves Ahead is pretty great actually, that and the PC Gamer podcasts are the only gaming ones I listen to. Particularly as RPS gave up podcasting ages ago ;-)

• karry says:

Right, they had one session about X-Com, and it turned out that none of them even played X-Com. Some strategy gamers…

• Oak says:

Do you mean this one? In which they discuss extensively their experiences with the game?

5. DerShcraa says:

I love how PC gaming is swinging towards strategic and tactical games again, even though it’s dead. Both.

6. kyrieee says:

Jim, which MoW game would you recommend for the first time player?

• Jimbo says:

Soldiers: Heroes of WW2.

You meant me, right?

Andy_Panthro says:

GamersGate is selling “Men of War” for £5.18. A bargain at that price.

I’ve only played the Russian campaign, but it was a thrilling (if difficult) experience.

• kyrieee says:

No I meant cpt. Kirk!

• Baboonanza says:

I’d recommend starting on MoW, it’s single-player campaign is pretty good and it’ll teach you the basics necessary for MoW:AA.

I’d think jumping straight into MoW:AA would be quite challenging, but maybe that’s just because I’ve been playing it without pause/slow-down (since you don’t get any in multi-player of course).

• bilharzia says:

Soldiers: Heroes of World War II is the one to start with, mostly fewer units to control and it’s £3.50 on Steam.

Despite the new skirmish mode in Assault Squad I don’t rate it anywhere near the campaigns of S:HoWWII or MoW. It’s in the team Vs team multiplayer that Assault Squad really shines, but it’s absolutely horrible to get into as a new player.

7. GreatUncleBaal says:

Three Moves Ahead is an excellent strategy gaming podcast, and has led to me spending a small fortune on titles I wouldn’t normally have gone near after hearing some great stories from the regulars and guests.
    I must shamefully admit I still don’t own a Men of War game, and can’t quite explain why (more inexplicable since I love RTS games) – I’ll have a listen and hopefully see the light!

8. Stranglove says:

I lost myself to the sound of three men talking about tanks…

felisc says:

nice voice.

10. Qark says:

I just listened to this while playing Assault Squad.

What we really need is some sort of faux commentary to listen to while playing.

11. Kattullus says:

It was a lovely podcast. My favorite bits were when you were telling stories from the game. I could listen to an hour of people swapping Men of War stories.

My favorite kind of story is usually the heroic last stand. I was playing Turning Point, the absolutely nuts Allied Campaign level in the original MoW. You start off with a small amount of little men. In one of my first run throughs I got absolutely torn apart early on and I thought the mission was over. But the mission didn’t end. I then realized I had guys manning the spotlights. I quickly gathered them together and rushed them over to the nearest tank. They then went on a crazy rampage, taking out three German tanks and a whole host of infantry before being blown up. Oh well, I thought, those brave little guys. Then they all climb out of the tank. I sent them running back towards another tank and they use it to promptly lay waste to half the Afrika Korps. And then a damn soldier takes out the engine with an anti-tank grenade. They climb out and two of them gets shot by the same soldier who falls at the hands of my guys. There are more Germans coming and I don’t have enough guys left to take over a tank. But there is a rocketlauncher wagon. So I send them there. Run run run. It’s in an absolutely terrible position. Push push push oh shit the tanks are coming. Whoosh whoosh whoosh went my little rockets, blowing up everything in their paths. Then a German with a flamethrower got into range and that was the end of that.

I knew that my guys were dead meat pretty much from the moment most of my guys bit it, but I’ve seldom had so much fun losing a game. That’s the beauty of Men of War, losing is fun. Winning is marginally more fun, but losing is fun too.

12. GraveyardJimmy says:

I just wanted to respond to the question of whether men of war had ever been easier to get into and everyone agreed it hadn’t. I think that both faces of war and the original men of war had smaller unit sizes in some missions which made it a lot easier, since you only have to focus on a few soldiers, rather than a whole battlefield.

For example, the German raid on the bridge gives you about 6 soldiers iirc, you can take more if you lose your men, and you micromanage only a tiny part of a larger battle.

Assault squad is a lot more difficult to start off with, since you are set to take a whole battlefield from the off (in skirmish), and multiplayer sets you with one front against another human player.