VVVVVV Soundtrack: PPPPPPoweredup!

By Quintin Smith on March 17th, 2011 at 8:54 am.

Can you name them all without cheating? I can! Viridian, Violet, Verdigris, uh, Vombles, V-man, Vampire

VVVVVV, last year’s absolutely stellar indie platformer, had some similarly brilliant music. Take a listen to this. Complex, organic, emotive- if that’s not perfection in a pseudo chiptune, I don’t know what is. The artist behind those tracks, Magnus Pålsson (aka Souleye), released them last year in an album called PPPPPP.

What this post is about is that Pålsson’s just released PPPPPPowerup!, an album made up of VVVVVV tracks (and some extras) arranged by eighteen different musicians (including Super Meat Boy composer Danny Baranowsky). “Arranged” is musician for “using real instruments, for instance a guitar or a bassoon or something”. PPPPPPowerup! will set you back $10 (plus shipping if you want a physical copy), and you can listen to a teaser below. All this comes courtesy of the Indiegames blog, who have a fat interview with Souleye here.

2:10 is the bit that made me clutch at my shirt like I was having a heart attack.

Oh, look what I found! The Positive Force arranged version by itself. Amazing.

What do we think, readers? Any takers?

, .

1. Gassalasca says:

W00000000!!!1!!1!!1!!!!!

I suspect Mr Pålsson will become my most listened to artist on last.fm in the following few weeks.

2. Wilson says:

That piano version is fantastic. I’m very tempted by this album.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

If the sheet music came with it, id buy it without a doubt. Infact, id pay 10 euro just for the sheet music. More, if I had to.

3. Premium User Badge Rinox says:

Sold, a million times over (well ok, once. Million seems kind of redundant)!

4. Atic Atac says:

PPPPPP is probably my favorite soundtrack of all times. Not sure about these. I love the piano arrangements though…but the rest are just well lacking in 8-bitness. 2:10 and 2:50 sound like they might be worth the price of admission alone though.

In any case I’ll buy it though just to support SoulEye. I listen to PPPPPP so much I really should be paying a subscription fee.

• Hoaxfish says:

yea, I like the doot-deet-doot-iness of the proper soundtrack

• Wulf says:

I actually don’t mind this version at all. It reminds me a lot of Amiga chip tunes. And I love Amiga chip tunes.

• Callum says:

It’s one of my favourite soundtracks from recent memory too (along with the Shatter soundtrack). Nothing can elicit so many memories as hearing the music that plays at the Veni, Vidi, Vici section of the game.

5. Stuart Walton says:

My favourite videogame music piece arranged for piano has to be kLuTz – 600 AD in Piano (YouTube) from Chrono Trigger.

6. Premium User Badge UW says:

Yeah, will be getting this. I love PPPPPP. Some of the best videogame music of all time.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Can’t be better than the original track, surely. I haven’t bought VVVV[etc.], but I surely will, if only for the accompanying music .

8. MadTinkerer says:

This reminds me: I need to get those last three super-hard trinkets…

• Wulf says:

Totally worth it. The secret ending is kind of awesome.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

Totally agree! I once doubted my resolve to get them myself, but was spurred on by several RPS regulars – never looked back. :-)

9. Mechlord says:

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeme Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

10. djbriandamage says:

This soundtrack embodies that most-important quality of all the best chiptunes – hope. It’s the little soundtrack that could. And it does.

11. Sam Crisp says:

Also, everyone who donated $20 or more to the Video Game Music in Context documentary (which I hope you all did) should have now been emailed download links for the two accompanying Hydorah soundtracks, one of which includes an arrangement by Pålsson himself.

12. Chanter says:

Hmm…as a musician, I have to question the idea of this music as “complex” – at least, I’d like to know just wot you think constitutes the complexity?

That said, I really really like this soundtrack. It’s catchy and even soulful, and it suits the game perfectly!

• Quintin Smith says:

I guess I meant that, for a chiptune, there’s a pleasing range of riffs and individual elements that mean the music stands up not just as background music, but something deep enough to hold your attention by itself. Hell, in chiptunes, even modulations are uncommon.

13. Wulf says:

I might have to pick this up, too. The update sounds pretty nifty to my ears.

14. Insidious Rex says:

Well, I guess I know what i’m doing for the next 34 minutes and 27 seconds then

15. Wolf Hongo says:

I suggest after buying the CD and giving it a listen that you send Magnus an email about how much this album puckers up your asshole with joy. His reponse to my email eventually led to him listening to my friend’s chiptune and giving some extensive feedback. I can’t stress how much of a nice person he is, so fuck it sell your house and the kids and give the money to him.

16. Premium User Badge Arathain says:

Oo, reminds me of the Cave Story Remix Project. Some fantastic arrangements in that one. I shall consider this one also.

That’s a really excellent version of Positive Force, which is itself really excellent.