World Of Tanks Finally Launches April 12th

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2011 at 2:48 pm.

Getting down off the podium was to be less dignified.
After an open beta lasting just five hundred years, popular armoured warfare game World Of Tanks now has a release date in North America and the EU. It’s April 12th! Oh but I said that already. What I didn’t say was that you can still play on the open beta, here for North America and here for Europe, untul that time. As I understand it, there will be a server wipe when the full game hits, however, so don’t get too invested in your tank collection at this stage. The game will still be free-to-play once launched, of course.

, .

1. Dominic White says:

Haha. I only just started playing the Euro beta a couple of days back. It’s good stuff, and I may well put some money down on it when it’s officially released. It’s a very good game.

Pity most players are morons. 90% of the games I play, I’m the only guy on defense, and usually rack up 4-5x my own tonnage in kills just by picking off guys who are charging through open plains at me, while I’m in a nice safe hull-down position.

I also get a solid 50 ping, which is nice.

• Premium User Badge sasayan says:

It gets a bit better in the higher tiers, but you still have at least one or two idiots who rush the opposing base and die a useless death within 30 sec. That or everyone piles up on one side, leaving the other open for someone to roll in and trash your teams artillery.

• Premium User Badge Daiv says:

Yeah, in higher tiers there’s always one guy in a Leopard who goes on kamikaze runs instantly. My preferred play as a Leopard is to run away from everything and then, in the late game, to flank the enemy team and execute the SPGs and take out the tracks on tank destroyers to allow our SPGs to rain death from above.

• Josh Brandt says:

Well, Leopards are supposed to be scout tanks, although there are better ways to scout than a straight-out suicide run…

2. Frozer says:

I am looking forward to get back in to playing the game, having been put off a bit lately with the coming wipe with launch. The game is good fun and it takes mere minutes to get in to some tank on tank action!

The wipe will be good since it will level the playing field once again.

• Dominic White says:

It’s pretty easy to kill stuff way above your class anyway, if you’re careful/smart. A lot of players are really dumb and just hurl themselves at you, trying to fire at full speed. I’m not normally one to snipe in games, but just hanging back at your base behind a nice solid concrete barrier, putting shells through enemy engines at half a mile off is pretty fun

• Frozer says:

Yeah you are correct you can to a certain extent kill tanks out of your class. It all depends on the gun you have. Some of the weaker tanks however can hardly kill any tanks, but once you reach a certain level you can hurt most tanks. This is really a game for the patient and rushing will mostly just grant you a quick death.

I also like playing as artillery which is a very different game from playing the “normal” tanks. Having to hang back, watching the map and support the weak spots in the friendly tank front. Because if the enemy breaks through you are pretty much gone.

• Nick says:

“It’s pretty easy to kill stuff way above your class anyway”
      What tier are you in? That is very much not the case the higher you go.. well, the easy part anyway, mainly due to your guns doing tiny amounts of damage and you being a two shot.

3. Avenger says:

Well, gee tanks a lot…

4. Fumarole says:

As much as I love the Tiger, that really should be a Panther in the number two spot.

• Spoon says:

That is a pretty good representation of the current tank balance. Russian tanks are best, Germans are okay, and Americans need a lot of work.

• Nick says:

This is not true, and usually spouted by people who have only played German tanks. (what Spoon said)

• Spoon says:

Well I’ve played most non-arty lines in all countries to at least Tier VII, and my sole Tier IX is not German. So there goes that theory. Not saying that the tanks of Germany and the US are not competitive, just that the bias IS there.

• pagad says:

The poor big kitty gets rather shat on, I have to say. 4 times out of 5 an IS will beat a Tiger.

5. Heliocentric says:

I must ask, as a player who will likely never spend anything does this game hold up without paying?

How badly are defensive players punished by artillery? I can imagine the 3 roles are recon, arty and blitz, can tanks effectively multitask? Like fast arty which can retreat or recon tanks which can use flanking to smash medium tanks even if they have to flee the heaviest.

Heck i’d just like to be able to avoid being trapped in a ‘play’.

• dustygator says:

Higher levels tanks are essentially unplayable without “premium” since the operating costs are higher than the revenue without the premium bonus. This isn’t as bad as it sounds since many feel that the lower and medium tanks are the most fun. At higher levels, everyone is slow and camping is prevalent. At lower levels, players are usually “dumber” but it ends up being more fun since everyone and damage everyone. Medium tier tanks (4-6ish) are the most fun IMO since players start getting better, the tanks can do serious damage but are still mobile enough to flank, etc.

As far as arty balance, it’s not bad at all. Arty has a long reload and long aim time and moving obviously makes aiming worse. As long as you don’t stay in one place when the other team can see you, you’re fine.

Scouts are screwed though due to the balancing. Scouts only go up to tier 5 so a tier 5 scout can get put in a game with tier 9 heavys. Tank Destroyers are also kinda borked, even more so if your teammates suck.

• Mr Bismarck says:

You’re right – medium vs medium is excellent, but the matchmaker only rarely puts you in a game with other mediums.

Too often my Easy 8 or VK are plonked into high tier matches with IS4, KT etc and then I’m either a slow scout or hiding out behind bigger tanks trying to spam HE into heavy’s tracks, hoping no one with a big gun gets a solid shot at me.

I gave up about a month ago after 1500 battles because mediums were my favourite class, but too often it would devolve into World of Hide and Seek.

• Dominic White says:

It should also be noted that for general play, the game automatically tries to balance each team so that they have 1-2 heavy hitters, a couple of artillery/tank-killers, a few Mediums and a bunch of Lights. You won’t find yourself on a team full of complete newbies thrown in front of a dozen Maus ubertanks.

• Mr Bismarck says:

automatically tries to balance each team

The important part here is “tries to.”

The balancer has come a long way from the old days where it thought 4 IS-7 vs 4 Maus was an even matchup and this area has been patched a bunch of times, but it’s still putting tier 8 heavies against tier 9 mediums too often and you can often look at your team composition before the game starts and see who’s going to win.

• Josh Brandt says:

If you never spend any money you will generally advance a little more slowly (you get 1.5x experience and credits for playing a non-Premium account) and you won’t be able to buy some premium, unique tanks. You also won’t be able to buy “Gold Ammo,” which is typically considered overpriced anyway. You won’t get arbitrarily pwned by a bunch of dudes driving overpowered vehicles they could only acquire by spending real-life cash on it, but you will spend more time in the lower tiers. That means you’ll probably have more actual fun in the long run…

• Cirno says:

Yep, 4-6ish levels is the best (not for the light tanks though), too bad game loves to throw you into high level battles as a recon medium tank with unupgraded engine and tracks.

Oh ye, clan wars, you CAN go with lvl 4-6 tanks under 60 level points, but it will throw against lvl 8-10 tanks anyway, so either you grind bigger tank or get killed by them. Not Fun.

6. Navagon says:

It’s a shame there’s no award for Best Name in the game industry because I think this should win. :D
    I wish them well with this even if MMOs aren’t my thing.

• Dominic White says:

WoT is as much an MMO as Team Fortress 2. The only persistent thing is your garage of tanks. Once you’ve picked which you’ll be driving, you just click ‘play’ and it throws you into a 15v15 team battle.

• Oak says:

I like the idea of having a garage of tanks.

7. Commisar says:

Anybody know how much this is going to cost?

• Frozer says:

The game will still be free-to-play once launched, of course.

As noted in the article the game will stay free-to-play. There is however Premium content that can be bought with real money.

• Dominic White says:

Premium content is basically a handfull of non-standard tanks for each country (usually imported/captured/prototype ones that don’t fit on the regular tech tree), plus XP/Money-gain multipliers. Far as I can see from beta, you can do very well without spending any gold (the premium currency) at all.

• GigaFuzz says:

It will be free to play as stated above, but there will be Gold for which you have to pay real money for. They haven’t revealed how much this will cost yet (during the beta gold was handed out to players every day). This gold can be used to exchange for in-game credits, premium accounts (which net you more XP and credits per match, and a swisher garage), purchase certain gold-only tanks, purchase gold-only ammunition (which has higher penetration) and equipment, and purchase higher levels of crew training.
      Edit: Also, at the lower level, it’s perfectly possible to enjoy the game without gold. The lower tier tanks don’t take much grinding at all and are sometimes the most fun.

8. Mr Bismarck says:

Far as I can see from beta, you can do very well without spending any gold

Provided you don’t want to run one of the higher tier tanks. Certain top-end tanks will cost more to repair than you earn if you haven’t got the multipliers from a premium account.

Of course, you can run one game in your high tier tank and then a bunch of games at low tier to pay for it.

• BSG11 says:

Gold is also there to assist leveling through the tank tree, by spending gold to convert XP earned by your Elite tanks to “free” (more like “generic”) XP that can be spent on any tank you own. An Elite tank is one that has all its possible equipment researched.

This is important for tanks that start off relatively weak and needs XP for better equipment, or even skipping underwhelming tanks completely (*coughHetzerLeecough*). AFAIK, earning XP with your lower tiered tank to upgrade your new higher tiered but immature tank is probably the main use for gold in beta, even above premium accounts and ammunition.

• Josh Brandt says:

Try the Hetzer again with the 220hp engine and the 105mm cannon and HE ammo only. Suddenly it’s like a mini-Jagdpanther.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

@Josh – yeah but much much squishier. Big guns are fun and hilarious but especially in the Hetzer you frequently get killed as soon as you fire and hit someone with it.

I have the big gun on my KV and as fun as it is to really tear a hole in things if you end up being top seeded tank in a round it can be an absolute bear with the reload speed.

9. dragon says:

Could you please stop with the “here” hyperlinks? You should know better than that.

• Premium User Badge JB says:

Eh?

• Josh Brandt says:

The point, which I sort of agree with but don’t care enough about to comment on it, is that the “here” is redundant. You’re already indicating a location through the actual hyperlink, so indicating that there’s a hyperlink using a piece of filler text just makes it wordier and harder to follow.

On the other hand, grammar can get convoluted if you don’t use the “here” links, especially in that particular sentence structure.

TL;DR: Chill out, it’s not a big deal.

10. GCU Speak Softly says:

Will the beta players get a hat or something to mark us out when the game wipes?

11. kxde says:

After more than 1000 battles I decided to uninstall the game. Reasons:

1. Idiotic matchmaking system, 99% of the time teams are unbalanced. There is a big difference in firepower and armour between place 1 and place 15, always. Of course, if you pay for premium ammo this becomes less of a problem because with gold ammo you’re able to penentrate 60-70% of your opponents.

2. Lazy/Slow/Greedy developers. Lazy/Slow because it took them 2 months to get rid of the “Christmas Tree”. Slow because during my stay I experienced only 1 patch. One bloody patch when the game needs so much fixing. And they call it a beta, mhmm. Greedy because they offer premium ammo, for a price, an expensive one. Ok, fine, you have to make some money, ask gold for another slot, ok. Ask gold for premium tanks, ok. Ask gold for a premium account, fine, it’s ok. But don’t ask gold for better ammo which improves your game immensely.

3. Extremely Idiotic detection system. This is actually the reason I quit the game. This is what ruins the game. It forces the players to a certain style of play and that is: camping. If you dare to attack, even if you have support, chances are you’ll be destroyed before you realise what the hell happened. And that is because you won’t be able to see who is shooting you and from where. Even if the enemy is only 25-50m ahead. In theory the game should make a hiding enemy tank visible once it shoots, in practice it only works ~50% of the time. Usually you simply see nothing. And then you die. And then you ask yourself “why should I advance? next time I will… nap, uh, I mean camp! \o/”. And then, as you go up in ranks, you notice how everything comes down to “who makes the first move dies”.

4. Small maps. Yes, the maps are small. A WoT map resembles a DOTA map, you have only 3 ways: left, middle and right. That’s it. You don’t have enough space for manouvers or some nifty tactics, nope, just 3 roads. This situation combined with 3 (the detection system) is what makes the russian medium tanks overpowered: because it plays to their strength.

Regarding the russiang tanks vs germans ones: The russians have fast to very fast tanks, with sloped and rather thick armour, with good penetration and very good damage but low accuracy. The germans have slower tanks with weak armour (if you look at the stats you’d think they have great armour, no sir, they don’t, you will rarely get bounced by a enemy shot with a german tank), low penetration, low damange but very high accuracy. Well, due to point 3 (detection) and 4 (small maps) high accuracy means nothing when you can’t penetrate a fast medium russian tank who suddenly appears near you and starts circling around like he’s some freaking UFO. That is why russian medium tanks are considered overpowered.

Someone asked if it’s playable without gold, yes, it is. Although with german tanks you’re going to have a very, very hard time starting from tier4 to tier8-9 because most of their guns and ammo are pure crap, your shots will bounce a lot from the russian tanks. At least until you get the 88mm gun and it’s a loooong way till there.

I like the idea behind the game, I like it very much. I like how battles don’t take more than 15min, at least in the lower tiers. I like how it really matters where you hit and what type of ammo you use. I like the sound of Clan Wars (a very ambitious plan I might add). But, in my opinion, as long as they don’t fix or change the detection system the game is pretty much unplayable.

12. Cirno says:

I hope now they will start doing their job and add game modes and other fluff so the game wont be the same random automatch (dont forget to pay to be able to play with friends) grindfest. After russian release the only thing that was really done is The Payment System, everything else, oh well, better not to rememver bad things,
    And though I can say that its fun to play once in a while but with leveling so slow and variety so limited it gets boooring way too fast. Neverchanging grind, neverchanging game.