Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Is GO

By Quintin Smith on March 18th, 2011 at 9:13 am.

Do you see? It's like an ad for Gatorade! DO YOU SEE!

If you never got around to trying indie tower defense / multiplayer combat hybrid Monday Night Combat then you’d better just hold on to your hat, and if you’re not wearing a hat then go and get one and clutch it in both hands like you would a comfort blanket. As of right now MNC’s undergoing one of Steam’s excellent free weekends, and not only that, if you do decide to buy it then you’ll get a hefty 33% off. MNC’s been amassing plenty of positive reviews, and the trailer below should hint at why.

See? It’s a kind of giddy mash-up of genres and ideas, with a pleasant Team Fortress 2-inspired art style. More than worth taking a closer look at.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dominic White says:

MNC is a great game that everyone and their dog seems determined not to even look at. You mention it, and people will say ‘No thanks, I’ve already got TF2′, despite it being practically in another genre altogether.

2. TsunamiWombat says:

MNC is a good game, but gets slliigghtly repetetive, due to the bad announcer dialogue and small selection of maps. It’s also easy to get snowballed.

• starclaws says:

The lack of maps is the big drawback in it. It actually has less maps than Call of Duty games… And that is just sad…

• choconutjoe says:

Some more varied environments would really be a plus. The super-hyper-mega-gladiator-arena-extreme thing gets old pretty quickly.

• Hallgrim says:

Could it use a few more maps? Definitely.

Is it worth $15 bucks (or $10 bucks now that is it on sale)? Abso-damned-lutely.

• Wozzle says:

Free weekend should convince most it’s worth $10 for some fun.

Until it gets more love (read: maps), I doubt it’ll be anyones “hard-core” shooter, but it’ll be a fun dick around game.

3. noom says:

Downloading now. Only reason I’ve really avoided it is due to the feeling that I don’t have room in mah lifie for another online competitive team-based game. But it just looks too good not to…

• Mccy_McFlinn says:

I’m in the same boat. Often when I get round to playing these games the community is long dead. I played for two rounds last night and it was quite fun and refreshing to play when compared to TF2 as the servers weren’t rammed with experts killing me every 3 seconds (so much so that I actually finished top of the table in both rounds and I’m not what one would consider a naturally gifted player).

I suspect it’s one of those games where playing against people with enough knowledge of the game to use turrents effectively and for bot spawns it could be very tense indeed with a constant to and frow.

For ~£6 however, I think it’s a sound purchase. This will be the first time I’ve used a free weekend to determine if I want to buy it as I suspect one weekend may well have exposed me to everything I’m likely to get from the game.

4. Moni says:

I played a bit last night, but only single player. I’m having the same problem with it that I have with most multiplayer games, that I can’t connect to a server with people on it.

Is there a RPS favourite server?

• Hallgrim says:

You can filter by the number of open slots in a server. Click the solid black ‘i’ next to the server pings, and look for a server with 1-3 open spots.

5. Malibu Stacey says:

Had a 24 hour trial sent to me by a friend just after this game came out.
    It’s got TF2 visual stylings but the gameplay isn’t in the same league. It’s very apparent that it’s a console game first & foremost & a PC game a very late 3rd. Case in point, play sniper or assassin. With a gamepad there’s probably some difficulty in mastering those 2 classes, with a mouse & keyboard they’re massively overpowered. Feedback on what you’re doing right or wrong, why you’re getting kills/being killed etc is also very lacking.

I tried really hard to like this but it’s just not fun. Unfortunately it’s more Demigod & less League of Legends.

• Lilliput King says:

It’s undergone some hefty changes since PC release. The interface and server browser are vastly improved but more importantly the PC version is now balanced very differently to the console version.

It doesn’t really play anything like TF2 – the game revolves around manipulating the ebb and flow of the battlefield in order to get your minion robots to assault the enemy’s base. Getting your robots to attack their shields is the only way to bring them down and thus open them up to attack. Needless to say I think it’s marvellous and original and inventive and clever and people should try it. It’s just a massive breath of fresh air. There is a surprisingly steep learning curve, though. Much like a DotA-like, the gameplay is deceptively complex at both tactical and strategic levels.

• Hallgrim says:

Yeah its interesting to check the stats after every game. Usually the losing team has only 1 or 2 people that are actually killing enemy bots and moving their bots forward. Usually but definitely not always.

I’ve only had the game for a month, so I can’t speak to the OP’s experiences, but I would say that the most powerful thing about enemy assassins and snipers is they force you to change the way you play. Assassins can punish you for spreading out and having good coverage, and for poor awareness. Snipers can deny you access to sections of the map. These classes can be annoying (1-shot kill snipers, 1-shot kill assassin grapples), but they are easily countered if you’re not working on a 1v1 basis. These days I see sniper, assassin, gunner, tank, assault, and engineer (in no particular order) all ranking up points and having a big effect on a match.

6. Hunam says:

It’s a good lunch time game to be honest. It doesn’t have enough to keep me going for too long but for a 30 min venture when I’ve nothing better to do it hits the spot.

7. ZIGS says:

Of all the free weekends Steam did so far, I think only one didn’t land on a weekend when I’m doing 12-hour shifts. This one is, regrettably, no exception. Fuck my life

8. timjon says:

So… how does this play in single player? I pretty much gave up online multiplayer years ago, so does this have decent AI bots, or is it a waste of time if you’re not prepared to go online?

• Hallgrim says:

I think it was an interesting twist on tower defense games. But its not full fledged by any means. Its worth checking out for the price of free, but I don’t think there is enough content to justify a $10 purchase for the single player / co-operative aspect.

• Hunam says:

SP is basically an FPS tower defense mode on a single map. MP is more DOTA with FPS fun.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Seems like a fun little game.

10. Down Rodeo says:

Last night I played some, I got completely reamed by a sniper over and over. He was very good, and frankly made me quite sad…

• Mccy_McFlinn says:

I think I must have been on the most newbie filled server of all time, I don’t remember any snipers popping up….perhaps further play tonight will show me more variety.

• Hallgrim says:

I don’t play as sniper, so I’m no expert… but one thing I’ve noticed is they are much stronger if they can hold a position. If you try to 1v1 them as an assassin or at ranged you will probably lose vs. a good one. So I either gang up on them to force them to move, wait until I see they are busy sniping someone and flank them at ranged (if I think I can kill them quick), or just avoid them and make them move out of their little camp.

The learning curve is pretty steep, I wouldn’t feel bad if I got dominated by someone who has been playing for a while.

• Lilliput King says:

The interesting thing is snipers tend to lock down in one position because of all the mines they’re given, and because if they don’t, they’re easy prey for assassins. That means they can only really affect a certain section of the map. Even if the other team has a really brilliant sniper, you can essentially ignore him and push a different area hard, which means he’ll have to abandon his position.

So, yeah, best to keep him in mind but try and work around him. Don’t actually try to attack him – it’s what he wants, and it means he has a greater impact on the game. If you avoid him and work on minions, it minimises his impact. He may still rack up kills, but he isn’t getting his team any closer to winning the round.

11. Bungle says:

As an old, old, longtime shooter player, I have to say I love MNC. It’s the most interesting and entertaining shooter I’ve played in a long time. I actually had to twist some of my friends arms to get them to download the free trial last night, but two of them bought the game after playing it for 10 minutes. It really is that good. It also shipped with the Unreal Editor for custom maps.

12. Miker says:

I’ve had MNC since the beta, and while I do love it and the way it plays, I don’t find myself going back to it as often as I’d like due to the complete and utter facerolls that comprise 4 out of every 5 matches I play.

The worst part is that some of these facerolls aren’t quick and painless — due to the way the game works, it’s difficult to come back, and losing a match is a slow and disheartening process. I feel like there’s a point in some matches when I know I’ve lost, and it’s just a matter of time until the opposing team, but we must go through the motions of defending our moneyball until it finally explodes. Does anybody else feel this way?

That said, it’s still a fantastic game, and a steal at that price.

• Hunam says:

I’ve been in some matches where my team was on the back foot from the get go but managed to hold out till sudden death and then just clinched it at the end. Although I imagine that was a pain in the arse for the other team who were better than us for 10 mins but not for the last 60 seconds.

• Mccy_McFlinn says:

I’ve had some games where I’ve not even left the area surrounding my own money ball so on the back foot have we been. I’ve found a lot of the new players (of which really I am one as I’ve only played 8 rounds) don’t concentrate enough on their bots and never build turrets. It can be frustrating in that regard, people treating it as a straight out deathmatch – then they’re all over the chat afterwards wondering how they lost the round.

I think it’s telling that I’ve spent a few hours on it now and haven’t handed over the money for it. I’m still massively undecided.

13. My2CENTS says:

Played it don’t know what to think – its not a bad game, its actually quite good, but lacks something. Its a decent game though, if you want a casual shooter give it a go.

14. Paravel says:

Gave it a try, played all afternoon and uninstalled. It was fun until I realized all the glaring flaws in the game. There’s too much that I want to make it something I’d play, and I know one patch won’t fix it.

While playing all I wanted to do was play TF2 instead. I know they are not that similar, but the “goofy arena” combat style I’m looking for is in TF2 and TF2 does it a hundred times better.

15. Pamplemousse says:

This is one of the best games in years.

Comparing it to TF2 is really rather silly, as they are fundamentally different games – so much so that its like comparing a book to a slice of cheese, each have their own merits but the book never set out to be delicious so its unfair to compare it on tastiness grounds.

16. kavika says:

So what makes it so different from TF2? Just that there are bots, everyone can build turrets, and you can upgrade yourself, far as I can tell. I guess in the ultra-specialized world of FPSs, these are enough to make it a completely different genre.

Comment on this story