The RPS Bargain Bucket: Shadows of Subtitle

By Lewie Procter on March 19th, 2011 at 2:54 pm.

Anyone fancy knocking up some more header images for the bargain bucket? Email them to the address up there^. 600x250, and no copyright images please.
Here’s your essential weekly guide to living in the “post-full-price” world, all the cheapest downloads from across the internet compiled into one handy list for your appraisal. There’s all sorts going this week, and I bet there’s probably something for everyone. If you don’t find something that tickles your fancy here, have a poke around SavyGamer.co.uk for more recent discounts on game for all formats.

Kudos – £2.10/€2.40/$2.99
Kudos 2 – £3/€3/$4.50
Apply coupon “HOTMUFFINS”.
Cliffski described these as “indie life sims”, so presumably you get points for listening to Pavement, dressing in vintage clothing and letting your fringe cover your eyes. I wonder when we’re going to get to hear about the next positech game? This discount is available til next Saturday, and there are demos of both games here and here, and RPS coverage here.

Global Agenda – £3.25/€3.99/$4.99
Hi-Rez Studios have dropped the price of Global Agenda this weekend, and are donating all proceeds to the Red Cross. There also seems to be loads of 50% off coupons floating around, I think they have been giving them out to current players to spread the word, and one SavyGamer reader dumped a load (most of which still work) in the comments here. Even without the coupon it is half price, but hopefully there are enough coupons for everyone. RPS coverage here.

Pathologic – £7.40/€8.44/$11.96
Apply coupon “specwar5″.
Mr Quinns recently told us a bit about why this is a very important game:

Interesting elements of Pathologic included its magical realist plot, its morally ambiguous tone that saw you making all sorts of horrible decisions, how it made you as a player start thinking similarly to the healer you chose, its moments of horror and its uniquely cruel and unrelenting atmosphere. Playing Pathologic felt like having a noose slowly tighten around your neck, both mechanically and narratively, and that more gamers didn’t get the most out of it at release is to be lamented. All together now: What a shame.

It doesn’t get discounted very often either. RPS coverage here.

Monday Night Combat – £6.69/€7.69/$9.99
Also available as a 4-pack for £4.99/€5.75/$7.50 each.
This game is a ton of fun, but you don’t need me to tell you that because there is a free weekend happening right now, go find out for yourselves. Still need convincing? Well it’s a fast paced third person shooter, where if you get bored of third person shooting you can do some tower defencing, and a tower defence where if you get bored you can do some third person shooting. The versus battles have a really nice rhythm to them, and if you get stuck in a rut of deaths, there’s always other ways to help your team that don’t involve a head on assault with the baddies. It’s really easy to lose a couple of hours to. RPS coverage here.

Deal of the week
Classic RPGs – £4.19/€4.76/$6.74 each
Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″.
Don’t stone me, but I’ve not properly played any of the games. I know that many consider the Baldur’s Gate games to be amongst the better RPGs ever, but I could never get into them. Don’t let my lack of taste stop you from enjoying them though, I don’t recall having seen any of these discounted for a long time, so buy away.

Available are:
Neverwinter Nights Diamond (Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Undrentide, Hordes of the Underdark, Kingmaker)
Baldur’s Gate Complete (Baldur’s Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast)
Baldur’s Gate II Complete (Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Baldur’s Gate II: Throne of Bhaal)
Icewind Dale Complete (Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter, Trials of the Luremaster)
Icewind Dale 2

Not sure how these versions compare to the probably fiddled with GOG versions, anyone tried running the impulse versions on modern computers? Encounter any problems?

Also of note:
Victoria 2 – £9.98/€11.98/$11.98
Darksiders – £5/€7.50/$10
King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame – £2.02/€2.31/$3.28. Apply coupon “SURVEY2010″ (Note: Missing the multiplayer).
Atari Promo
Strategy Sale

Bonus Mac only deal:
Where did that come from? Can’t say I’ve seen all too many Mac exclusive gaming deals worth people’s attention in the past, but since the launch of the Mac App Store, there’s a few to be sure. For example:
VVVVVV, Mac – £1.19/€1.59/$1.99.
I guess I will have to keep an eye on the app store too these days.

Be sure to visit SavyGamer.co.uk for discounted games throughout the week.

__________________

« | »

1. Wooly says:

“I know that many consider the Baldur’s Gate games to be amongst the better RPGs ever…”

HERESY!

• Baby Baby Baby Oh says:

I’d go more in the direction of Fallout 2 myself. Never was a fan of Baldur’s.

• mwoody says:

If you’re gonna pick a Fallout, at least pick 1. 2 had much less direction to the story, and no game in history can top the ending to 1: its shock, its heart-breaking final image, and in retrospect, its horrible inevitability.

• Dante says:

Fallout 1&2 and Baldurs Gate 2 (much better than the first) are the best old school RPGs for me, although the recent Bioware games (DA:O, ME:2) are arguably just as good.

NB: Have not played Planescape: Torment.

• Andy_Panthro says:

The Ultima series want to have a word.

Tis a shame you can’t find them on any download service though… damned EA.

• Wulf says:

I’d also pick Fallout 2. It was much more imaginative and didn’t take itself so seriously. The problem with 1 was that, yes, it had humour but because it tried so hard to capture gritty Sci-Fi ‘realism’ (that games like Gears of War do so well with these days), it kind of lost its way and a lot of the passion behind it. It does still sparkle, but not as brightly as it could have. It just reeks of trying too hard.

Fallout 2 was Black Isle saying ‘sod it, let’s just have fun with making a game!’ and actually doing just that. It’s an incredibly compelling and unique experience, with a good dramatic range of emotions as to how different things will make you feel. And Fallout 2 gets even better if you install killap’s Restoration Project mod. (That mod was years of a poor bloke’s life dedicated to restoring to life the aspects of the game that Black Isle just couldn’t get in there because they ran out of time. And it really was years, too. I think the project took something like four years from start to finish.)

Plus, Fallout 2 has one of the best experiences you’ll have in any game – playing as a low INT character. Really, if you want to experience true joy, play Fallout 2 as a character with 3 INT or lower. The reactions of just about every character in the game is priceless, because you’re almost a mindless feral at that point and everyone realises it. What makes it even better is that you can communicate in a very eloquent way with other characters who’re INT 3 or lower (if you have above 3 INT, they just seem idiotic to you on that playthrough).

There’s a lot of diversity in Fallout 2, there’s a lot you can do and many ways to approach it. It also really takes Fallout 2 beyond Fallout 1, it’s a true evolution. It’s post-post-apocalyptic – and you can see the beginnings of a world starting to reforge itself. Vault City, for example, was inspiring. And that’s the thing with Fallout 2 – you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, there’ll be moments of seriousness and silliness, it just has something for everyone. But if you take yourself and your games far, far too seriously then Fallout 1 may be the better choice. But for me, Fallout 1 had too much of the Gears of War-style aura around it, and I’m not going to pull any punches with pointing that out. It’s just my opinion, but it wasn’t the game that it could’ve been because it tried too hard to actually get away from its own sillier elements.

• Grey_Ghost says:

Nice to know that some of us that actually thought Fallout 2 was a great game still exist. I love Fallout 1, but I enjoyed #2 quite a bit more.

• sinister agent says:

I did enjoy Fallout 2 a lot, but I got to a point where I just had no idea what I was supposed to be doing next, and wasn’t enough of a fight-y character to do any of the tasks I had left to do. I mean, okay, I’m supposed to go looking for (a spoilery thing), fine. But having gone everywhere I can get to without being constantly ambushed, and recruited everyone who would come with me, I just ran out of things to do besides wander aimlessly back and forth and trying different items on people like the worst kind of point & click adventure. Left a pretty disappointing taste.

• drewski says:

Why I’m playing Fallout 2 again at the moment.

Not, alas, as a low INT character.

• Dante says:

@ Andy_Panthro

Ultima was before my time I’m afraid.

I think Fallout 1&2 were both good, the former probably nailed the atmosphere and tight concept better, but the letter expanded on the world and gameplay manifold.

• Nick says:

“amongst the better ”

You people realise this doesn’t mean the absolute number 1 best, right?

• Ateius says:

@sinister agent: That was my experience with Fallout 2 as well. Played for a while, did a few memorable things, a lot of not-so-memorable things. Then the game’s direction sort of petered out, I couldn’t go anywhere new without being horribly slaughtered, and there was nothing left to do in prior locations. With no idea how to progress and no help at all from the game, I eventually just went and played something else.

2. SirKicksalot says:

White Gold is on sale for 5 dollars on Beamdog: http://www.beamdog.com/products/xenus-ii-white-gold
    Add the SURVEY15OFF code and save 75 cents.
    Anyone know anything about them? I picked up the deal from another forum.

Edit: found something interesting – http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/06/29/interview-bioware-co-founder-talks-about-launching-beamdog-and/

• iLag says:

I know that they don’t accept Paypal and that they LIKE TO USE CAPS on twitter. A LOT.

• terry says:

I plumped for the White Gold deal. Not much to report about Beamdog, the client seems to be a GOG-like thing. You can’t play the game without the client running. Download seemed okay-ish, not Steam-quick. The game is absolutely as ridiculous as the WIT of it was.

• patricij says:

downloading now…thanks for the heads up!
      iLag: lack of PayPal could be considered as a PLUS…c’mon now, PP is a horrible Corp.

• iLag says:

@patricij: agreed. I had my fair share of trouble with Paypal, but for quite a lot of people PP is the only way of getting stuff online. not to mention that I generally tend to avoid handing out my credit card details to every little company that comes along.

• patricij says:

Well…I think it does not work as an alternative to a CC anymore as they are pretty persistent in wanting your CC as a backup most of the times you want to buy something with it, blah. For me and some others, at least.

As a protection against scam…I guess, but avoiding the small bullies by asking the big bully for protection is not exactly all that great, oh well…
      Beamdog should be an O.K. as it is co-founded by an ex-Bioware bloke

• dethgar says:

They won’t accept my credit card, which is a shame, cause I’d really like this game. :(

• sk2k says:

Hmm, what’s the version number? I hope it’s not 1.0

EDIT: Bought it. Download speed is slooow.

3. Meat Circus says:

Pathologic is, in a very real sense, unplayable. Which is PRECISELY the reason everyone should try.

• sinister agent says:

Kind of agree here. It’s a bizarre mix of the near-sublime and the shockingly poor. On balance it’s still well worth playing as it offers such a unique experience. An unusually thought-provoking game.

4. iLag says:

some more stuff: over at GMG, they have Rift + Trine + Knights of the Temple for 37,95€ http://bit.ly/f3AErj (best non-retail price for Rift, if I’m not mistaken) and Magicka + Defcon for 9,95€ http://bit.ly/hvOwT6
    also: Star Ruler at Direct2Drive(US) for $10 http://bit.ly/eYQf2V – is it better now that it’s patched or still not worth bothering?

(oh, by the way, I have a twitter feed where I list such deals all week: http://twitter.com/DigidealsEU )

5. Meat Circus says:

Anyone tell me if Darksiders is worth a fiver? In general, I like a good Metroidvania. Is it a good Metroidvania?

• Lewie Procter says:

I really really didn’t like it, I thought it was ugly, boring, highly derivative, badly put together and not very fun.

Lots of people liked it though.

It’s not very metroid at all though. Lots more like Zelda, but gets more stuff wrong than Zelda does.

• DrGonzo says:

I thought it was pretty, exciting, and surprisingly polished and original. So each to their own I suppose.

That said, I picked it up for cheap in a sale a while back, I don’t think I would have enjoyed it so much at full price.

But, Lewie is correct, it isn’t a metroidvania style game. It’s very Zelda as he said, you are faced with a dungeon like area you have to solve, which do follow a similar style to metroidvanias just on a smaller scale.

• Giaddon says:

I also do not recommend Darksiders. If you start with Zelda and take out the storybook wonder and replace it with meaningless, repetitive combat, you get Darksiders.

If you start with Metroid and take away the intricate, secret-veined exploration and replace it with meaningless, repetitive combat, you get Darksiders.

Don’t get it.

• trjp says:

It’s nothing like Metroid – it’s actually pretty good and the sort of action game the PC usually doesn’t get.

In fact I’d say if you didn’t enjoy it, you just didn’t play it for more than 10 mins because the Cathedral Section (not that far in ) is one of the best bits of gaming I’ve ever seen…

• trjp says:

p.s. comparisons to Zelda are pointless because if you like running around pretending to be a little boy rescuing a little girl – this isn’t going to appeal. Also, this doesn’t make you enter the same dungeon many many many times because the designer was too lazy to add another one…

You’re War – you’re one of the 4 Horsemen and you’re PISSED OFF. You don’t have a tiny sword, a pony and affectational fairy following you around – you’re a massive, angry bastard with a sword bigger than you are, you get a simply awesome horse made of fire and you’re followed around by a sadistic maniac who can hurt you.

Comparisons to Soul Reaver are much better – that was awesome – this is similarly awesome – if you didn’t get it, don’t put other people off – they might not be lightweights!! :)

• Lewie Procter says:

Please, share your wisdom. How can mere mortals like us understand how to enjoy Darksiders?

• DrGonzo says:

There is a whopping big demo of Darksiders available if you want to try it out. It’s over an hours worth of the game if I remember correctly.

• Xtinction says:

I really liked it and disagree with lewie quite strongly. Some of the most consistently good art direction in any game. Good atmosphere. Combat was a tad repetative but never boring. I did play with a controller, that may have helped. Controller support is great btw.

• Vague-rant says:

Um, I didn’t enjoy it. And I played the cathedral section (at least the start). Installed it yesterday and have played it for about 2 hours.

I just didn’t appreciate the combat very much. I never quite got the combos (possibly K/B and mouse problem), and seeing as the game is basically all combat (any puzzles I encountered were “push block along groove in ground”), it meant it was impossible to enjoy. Art direction’s quite nice, but the story is poop (I consider the two to cancel each other out).

If the game was more/better puzzles, less combat I could probably recommend it. As it stands, I suggest try the demo. If the combat is something you can see yourself doing for the whole game its worth it.

• Wulf says:

Hm. Okay. Thanks for putting me off Darksiders.

I think I’ll just go play Twilight Princess again instead.

• trjp says:

Lewie, you’re missing my point – I’m saying that I enjoyed it and that comparisons to Zelda (or Metroid) aren’t ideal…

You, and others, are the ones which are saying “it’s shit” and in some cases extending that to “don’t buy it” – I wouldn’t tell someone how to make up their own mind y’see – that’s not for me to do…

• Lewie Procter says:

Except for the part where Meat Circus asked people for their opinions.

• TotalBiscuit says:

I could not disagree more with Lewie Procter and I personally think you should ignore him and pick up an excellent “Dark Zelda” style game with great design, enjoyable combat, excellent graphics and some wonderful, deliciously dark dialogue for the price of a couple of pints. Not to mention it’s an extremely solid port that runs very well.

There is a reason the game is critically acclaimed by pretty much anyone other than Lewie, so perhaps this time, pay attention to the opinions of the majority of critics. Or just read Jeff Gerstmann’s review of it since it’s the best – http://www.giantbomb.com/darksiders/61-20991/reviews/

• DiamondDog says:

I think it’s definitely worth getting for a fiver.

• Xocrates says:

Darksiders doesn’t have an original idea to its name, HOWEVER it has lots of them, implements them all well, and on top of it it’s surprisingly pretty for a post-apocalyptic game, has plenty of nicely over the top characters and solid voice acting going along with it.

I do feel Soul Reaver to be the best comparison, I enjoyed the game greatly and deem it my best pick on the Steam Christmas sale (which included Fallout 3 and Bad Company 2). For the current price I would heartily recommend it.

• pakoito says:

@trjp @TotalDiscuit
      So you’re war, you’re the most motherfucking motherfucker in history and you have to kill thousands of enemies with ONE attack button, a couple of basic combos (discard fancy bad dps output moves) and one random secondary weapon that won’t combo for shit. The game got ütterly boring after a couple of hours.

• Xocrates says:

@pakoito: You forgot the part with the weapon that shoots exploding stakes, the one with the heavenly machine gun, the one where you ride a gryphon, and the bosses that all require different strategies.

The basic combat isn’t that good, but if you’re complaining about it getting boring after two hours, then it gives me an impression that’s all you played. There are plenty of sections with fairly minimal combat (I barely recall any in the portal level), so Darksiders combat is a bit repetitive, yes, but it is neither the core of the game or so common that it gets annoying.

EDIT: This is also the reason I find Soul Reaver to be the best comparison, those games had pretty horrid combat, but the games were great despite it.

• DJ Phantoon says:

“Because you disagree with me you are an idiot” is not a valid argument. Please refrain from this.

Actually, Yahtzee reviewed the game (on the console toy) and though he has a tendency to embellish thing, was there really a blue and orange portal device?

And does War really stand around scowling? REALLY?

Anything I learn about the game turns me off from it, as I liked the games it seems to have “paid homage to” more in the first place.

Like hating Dane Cook because all of his jokes were funny when Louie CK told them.

• DiamondDog says:

It’s certainly amazing how anyone can like a game in which the main character scowls.

• TotalBiscuit says:

“Actually, Yahtzee reviewed the game” – If all you know about the game was learned from a Yahtzee cartoon then you’re not really in any position to judge it. You’d have more luck learning about the middle-east peace process from the fucking Beano.

• Antsy says:

I loved Darksiders. Yes there are game mechanics in play that you can instantly identify from other games, but so what? They work. Its not like the games we play are an endless sequence of new and interesting idea’s. Its got a good story and a fantastic comicbook art style. It entertained me. Job done.

Everyone is of course going to have their own opinion about games but to suggest that this game is terrible is a disservice to the people who might actually enjoy it, especially when its selling for so little.

I really don’t understand how it deserves the vitriolic comments on display above.

• Tei says:

I recommend darksiders as god of war in the pc platform. Gow2 is a hell of a game, and darksiders capture part of it …and there’s nothing else like it on the pc.

I feel sad there’s no red dead redention on the pc….

6. jaheira says:

King Arthur for two quid? All peeps even vaguely interested in strat gaming should immediately purchase.

7. mcnostril says:

What’s the word on King Arthur?
    The Wot I think back then made it sound interesting, but buggy/unpolished. Has this been fixed since then?

• Chris D says:

Well worth two quid. Even if you ignored all the battles and the campaign map and just played the little text adventure bits you’d still get your money’s worth.

I’d say the battles aren’t as good as in Total War, but still decent. The campaign map has some really lovely ideas and the whole narrative approach is great, although does suffer from sometimes setting events in motion without warning and leaving you a bit screwed.

If you like strategy games the only excuse for not getting this game at this price is that you’ve just bought Shogun 2 and have no time for anything else, including eating and sleep.

• iLag says:

having spent 45 hours with the game recently, I can highly recommend it. interesting blend of strategy, rpg(ish things) and choose-your-own-adventure. the tactical battles are a lot clunkier than the Total War battles, but you’ll get used to it. go buy!

• Dante says:

RPG elements are very interesting, but the battles and strategy is not anywhere near as good as Total War.

If you’re going to play it, play the quest parts slowly, it will seem like you should press on, but that will just result in you getting attacked from all sides.

• Ic4ruz says:

Good game. I didn’t like Napoleon Total War, but I do like King Arthur!

But you have to be careful, it can get extremely hard, even on beginners difficulty.

8. Username says:

Pathologic was $7.99 on Amazon download a couple days back, now back up to $9.95 (for us Yanks anyway) – Gah! shoulda pulled the trigger then but I was waiting to see if it turned up in the bucket! Even when I’m right I’m wrong…

Anyway since hearing Rupert has his mitts in D2D I’ll give a shoutout to a slightly less evil monolithic corporation.

9. Kdansky says:

I will buy Monday Night Combat as soon as they implement the following two options:

- First person view. I’d like to use more than three quarters of my screen.
    - A sensible cross hair that looks like a cross hair and not a giant round circle.

Why they cannot add options to change that is beyond me.

• DrGonzo says:

I would hate to have a proper crosshair in MNC. The reason it’s a big circle is because that’s how accurate your weapons are. It would be misleading and frustrating to have it as a dot as that suggests pin point accuracy.

MNC is about tactics and strategy first, shooting and accuracy second. That’s why I like it so much personally.

• Kdansky says:

After playing for a few hours, you know how accurate the guns are, you don’t need a huge monster circle blocking your view.

And as I said: Make it an *option* in the options menu. If everyone else prefers useless “general area of where I am firing”, fine with me. I like the strategy, or else I would not consider buying it.

• Wodge says:

well obviously, if you know how accurate they are, you don’t need a crosshair…

• TotalBiscuit says:

MNC suits first person view about as much as Tomb Raider does.

10. JohnnyMaverik says:

I’m still waiting for them to finish (probably in vain because I don’t think they’re still working on it, although maybe they’ll let Tom Jubert have a crack at it once he’s finished working with them on Cargo) the re-translation of Pathologic to fix up some of the localization issues that the original release is meant to have… that and the game to go on Steam, I don’t use D2D simply because I started using Steam first and what with also using GOG and buying the occasional boxed copy things could quite easily get a bit out of hand, so I limit myself to the 3 options I’ve already taken.

11. Kismet says:

GamersGate this week is offering a 20% discount on all SEGA titles excluding Total War SHOGUN 2.

Use the redeem code:

LoveSEGA

in the checkout to receive the discount.

The 5 Year Celebration sale is still running too.

12. jymkata says:

The pathologic code doesn’t seem to work for me.
    Anyone else have problems with it?

13. Carra says:

I hope Baldur’s gate will go on sale on gog.com one of these days. They haven’t had a discount on their RPG classics before.

14. Giaddon says:

Adventure game fans!
    Dracula III, by the fantastic Kheops Studios, is on sale for $2 at Green Man Gaming.
    Dracula III is one of my favorite adventure games ever. Myst 3 style 360 degree panning, but with character interaction (your character is fully voiced and everything) and a genuinely intriguing plot (if you like slow-burning historical academic thrillers).
    You play a catholic priest sent to a small, war-battered town in Transylvania shortly after the end of the first world war, investigating whether or not a recently deceased local nurse should be considered for canonization. I won’t say any more, but the story’s surprisingly great.
    The puzzles are nauseatingly hard, but doable (they ramp up nicely, so there’re some real tough nuts at the end, but pleasing challenges at the beginning). Most of the puzzles are based on logic and (in-game) research rather than inventory application. As a bonus, the game includes the full Latin text of the Bible, as well as Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula.
    And don’t be afraid of that “3.” It’s strictly a stand-alone game.
    At $2, it’s a must-have if you like adventure games at all.

• BarneyL says:

More importantly Syberia 1 and 2 are on sale fro £2.58 each at Green Man Gaming.
      Uplink and Darwinia are £1.78 each in case anyone doesn’t yet own those.

15. mwoody says:

I recall reading that Pathologic had a poor translation, and that a fan project was in the works to repair that – it was why, I think, I waited on pulling the trigger the last time I saw it on sale. What is the status on that project? Awkward translations can sap the fun out of any game, for me.

• sinister agent says:

I’ve not tried the (apparently on-hiatus) translation project, but yeah, the vanilla game is very wonkily translated. It may help if you imagine that you, whichever character you play, are not a native speaker of the language, so misunderstand and say the wrong things quite a lot, but generally get the idea if you think about things a bit. In a way it kind of helps with the ‘stranger in town’ aspect of at least one of the characters, but that’s probably a bit too much like wishful thinking.

16. Wulf says:

Neverwinter runs just fine on modern systems. I recently dug out my collector’s edition (the one that comes with some of the adventure packs) to reinstall and play through Penultima again. No problems with that whatsoever. It was fun hunting down all the overrides I use to make it more playable for me, too. Such as that gold half-dragon that I never do a NWN run without playing.

MNC has gotten my attention for being genuinely funny at times, but I’m still not completely sold on it. I’ll keep playing to see if I finally twig onto what will make it worth a purchase for me. I really like the attitude of The Gunner, though. The only thing going against its favour really is that I’ve recently started playing UT3 again, and whilst UT3 pales in comparison to the UT of old, the Krall and vehicle CTF are still both a hell of a lot of fun. If the two are competing for my FPS-style-game time, then UT3 will probably win.

I have to say that MNC is growing on me, though. The personality of the characters helps.

As for Darksiders… hm. I was pondering that one myself. But I’ve since been put off by it sounding something like a steroid-pumped link riddled with teen angst. No ta.

• CrazyBaldhead says:

“Neverwinter runs just fine on modern systems”
      What about the Icewind Dale games?

17. Dante says:

So following on from what Lewis said, should I get BG2 on GoG or Impulse? Do both work okay on modern PCs? Are both free to be modded?

• Hammurabi says:

See my reply right below yours. I like both services quite well, but I think the Impulse download manager is shinier. There are mods for BG2. But keep in mind that between the original quest (Shadows of Amn) and Throne of Baldur and the added Watcher’s Keep optional questy thing, there is like a brazillian hours of gaming amazing built right in.

• Dante says:

I already own the game, so I’ve played most of the content (and there’s some very good unofficial fixpacks there). I just wanted it in a format that doesn’t require me to install it off half a dozen CDs.

To think, today people get pissed about needing one disc! They don’t know what we had to put up with.

• Kaira- says:

I’d say get it from GOG. No need for client to download the game AND absolutely no DRM.

18. Hammurabi says:

Just a heads up to anyone interested in Baldur’s Gate II. It has a tendency to run upside down in 3D acceleration mode (on some chipsets). To fix it, go to the options for your graphics card and disable screen rotation. I don’t know if the same is true for Icewind Dale or BG1. I also offer no guarantee that this fix will definitely work, but it does seem to be the most common fix for the issue.

19. Recidivist says:

Posted up my discount coupons for Global Agenda on SG. Enjoy.

20. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Hey, that’s Daikatana.

21. Hideous says:

GACOU587193282105
    GACOU587193282207
    GACOU587193282136
    GACOU587193282034
    GACOU587193282033
    GACOU587193281902

Here, have a few of my Global Agenda codes. I’m sure someone will want them.

22. 3lbFlax says:

I came back to this page to say many thanks for the Empire: Total War link, but then I realised there is no such link. But I definitely found it after following a link from this page, so just take the damned kudos. It was a fiver on getgamesgo.com, and having missed it when Steam had it on sale I was very pleased to see it again, and even more pleased to see it was a steamworks purchase, and then even more pleased than that to remember I had some Carte D’or in the freezer. What a night to remember.

23. J-Han says:

Just bought Baldur’s Gate I and II from Impulse and can confirm that they both work on a modern system just as well as one would expect them to work from GOG. I’m on Windows 7 x64 with ATI graphics card.

With both of them, however, if you play them in windowed mode you won’t be able to scroll the map with the mouse moving to the edge of the screen. In BG2 you can use the arrow keys instead, or the game works perfectly in full screen on the lowest “unsupported” higher-resolution setting. The second lowest unsupported resolution screwed up the game’s graphics.

In BG1, you have no choice but to use fullscreen, and the top and bottom of the game will be slightly clipped off on a widescreen monitor. However, those areas that are clipped off are part of buttons whose meaning is obvious from what you can see, so it isn’t a problem.

24. Bilbo says:

Took me awhile to get Baldur’s Gate 2 running, and once it did I didn’t have the patience to figure out the UI. I will probably go back to it at some stage, but Dragon Age and its ilk are an easier draw for me right now.

• Nick says:

don’t bother, you’ll hate it, too many words.

• New Player says:

Actually, there are hardly any differences in the UI to Dragon Age, I think. Well, many of the character stats are all cluttered in an impractical scrolldown list. And you have to make sure to take the armor with the lowest number instead of the highest. I think that should get a DA-player going. The first dungeon is fairly claustrophobic and offputting though. And low level mages appear nearly useless compared to DA, but they’ll allow more variety later…

25. bill says:

I could never get into them either. you definitely have to put in a lot of effort to get past the initial boring uninvolving phase. (like the horribly dull mortuary at the start of PS:T)

I got along best with BG2, and actually got out of the initial dungeon and went to one or two locations before my party decided to slaughter a whole street of children, and then left me because they said i was evil, and an invincible force of police showed up and slaughtered me. And i realised my last save was miles back and haven’t gone back.

I also had a permanent feeling of not knowing what was going on, due to not having played BG1 (which people told me i didn’t need to). So i had dozens of high level spells and i had no idea what any of them did.

In a last desperate attempt to get into these supposedly classic RPGs I might try to pick up BG1 cheap and see if it eases me more smoothly into the BG universe/ruleset. Though of course now i know the ending….

26. Recidivist says: