Blooming: Trine 2 Footage Sure Is Shiny

By John Walker on March 21st, 2011 at 11:46 pm.

This is a bit like the RPS garden, only slightly better kept.

It’s been a while since we posted any Trine 2 footage, so I think I shall do so now. The co-op indie delight from last two years ago (I wish I had any perception of the passing of time) had us all cooing around collective monitors. And the sequel looks astonishingly lush, with what appears to be some big improvements from the version shown in October last year. It’ll once again see the Thief, Wizard and Knight scroll sideways through physics puzzles, playable by one to three people at a single machine. Well, just look at it – it’s amazing.

There’s still no release date set beyond “2011”, and the website hasn’t gone beyond a holding front page. So there’s likely still a wait until we’re all playing it. But giant snails must take time.

Big thanks to Phill for the tip.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Adriaan says:

Looks astounding once more! I can’t wait to play this.

2. katinkabot says:

‘Trine’ was such a fabulous little game. Perfect for when you just want some simple/platform-y goodness. This looks gorgeous and wonderful and I can’t wait for it to come out. It makes it even better that they made it look like I’m playing on a Lisa Frank trapper-keeper – honestly.

• Vinraith says:

It was the only 2d platformer I’ve really enjoyed playing in something approaching a decade. Well, it was up until that weird difficulty spike of a last level, anyway.

• Wulf says:

Hm. It was good, but I wouldn’t say it was the only one I enjoyed, myself. I personally have much love for VVVVVV and CreaVures. Shame to see VVVVVV forgotten.

• Sam Crisp says:

CreaVures! Does that get any better after the first few levels? That game looked like it could have some potential but I found the first 30 minutes a total bore and haven’t played it since.

3. Frools says:

yay!

4. Qark says:

Dude that looks amazing.

5. skinlo says:

So pretty!

6. noodlecake says:

That looks gorgeous. :) Someone lend me £900 for a gaming pc so I can actually play it.

• Calneon says:

The first one was not exactly graphically intensive despite looking beautiful. I doubt you’ll need a monster PC to run this max.

• noodlecake says:

it slows down like crazy on my year old £600 laptop

7. Bhazor says:

As has been said. Frickin gorgeous.

Though I’m more pleased by the lack of flying plank exploits. Hopefully that skills been nerfed somehow or at least wont let fly over every obstacle in the game.

8. frenz0rz says:

Ah, I loved Trine. Cant wait for the sequel.

9. alphasmart says:

While that does look utterly stunning, my eyes were really burnt by all that bloom. And it maintains the same issue I had with the original: there is so much visual noise that the things you’re meant to interact with don’t stand out nearly well enough. I remember the designers of Braid talking about this, how you’ve got to distinguish the stuff you’re interacting with from the background. I got a little frustrated because it just didn’t look right from that perspective…

• fearian says:

I agree, someone needs to take an axe their post processing.

Okay, some hedge clippers prehaps.

10. Shroom says:

The first game did such a fantastic job of capturing a fairy-tale atmosphere and this looks like it will be 10 times MORE magical. The art direction is just great.

Saul says:

Any game with giant snails is a game for me.

12. godgoo says:

the screenshot looks like what a Simon the Sorcerer reboot should look like. Ah if only!

13. Zwebbie says:

Trine may be unique in that it’s the only game that actually looks better because of bloom. I think it’s because it represents fogginess and damp air, rather than the usual brighter-than-white lighting.

14. malkav11 says:

I’ve enjoyed the little I’ve played of Trine a lot, but single machine multiplayer is just so totally the wrong approach for PC. I understand their stated reasons for not having got round to internet multiplayer the first time, but really…by this point it should be on the list.

• Barnaby says:

I second, third, fourth, and fifth this post. Who/what do I have to kill/blow up to get some GD internet based co-op for this game.

Why not? WHY NOT?

• Quirk says:

Different strokes for different folks. There’s a ton of net-based multiplayer games out there.

Trine is one of the few that lets me plug in a second keyboard and mouse and play through with my girlfriend (she loved it).

I agree it would be nice to have net-based multiplayer, but I would strongly dispute the view that their local co-op is somehow unnecessary.

15. gritz says:

Any chance this supports 3D? It looks like it would be perfect for it.

16. Serenegoose says:

Yay, more Trine! I am so in love with how this game looks. I tried to marry it but you can’t marry unreleased games unless you pre-order them. True love, dashed on the rocks of bureaucracy. A sad, cautionary tale.

Also, I’m going to play most of this game with the thief, just like the first one, because I don’t see the point of having a ninja rope and not using it all the time.

17. swarmster says:

Really? Giant spiders? Forget it.

All that creativity and seemingly hard work and that’s the best they can do? Did they give the intern that level or something?

Dev: “Crap, we need this game to be a bit longer. Does anyone have time to whip up some extra levels? Throw in a new badguy type, too, so it doesn’t look like such obvious filler.”
    Dev 2: “Just have the intern throw something together. He took ‘art’ or something in high school and has tested a few levels before. …Right?”
    Intern: “Gee, I’ll need to think of something really uniquely clever and interesting to impress these guys. I know…let me check the Maya sample projects…”
    (later)
    Devs: “Giant spiders? Brilliant! Ship it! And hire that man.”

^The conversation I picture every time I see a spider dumped in a game for no reason. Which is to say, basically every game. (Seriously, I think they’re the most commonly included enemy type in games today. They’re apparently a requirement for RPGs.)

*terrified of spiders*

• skinlo says:

I feel you may have a bias against spiders.

• Barnaby says:

If you hate spiders (which I do) then getting the opportunity to slay them in a video game should be a welcome task. Die spider scum!

I can think of much shittier creatures they could have included, like a waste paper basket or a stapler. Nobody wants to fight a stapler.

• gritz says:

Nothing is more tedious than the guy who complains about spiders in video games.

• Wulf says:

Well, in all fairness, there have been more creative things. And I can think of fantasy games that don’t even use spiders as a foe (shock!). In fact, I usually prefer my villains to be more sapient, because when I see a giant spider boss, all I can think is great, I’ve spent the last 20 minutes kicking her eggs around in her nest without realising it, and now I have to kill her just because she’s a pissed off mom, and that’s what heroes do.

Yeah, I definitely prefer my villains to be more sapient – or at least not to look like a critter that happened to just be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

18. Sarlix says:

I enjoyed Trine quite a lot. But whilst playing as the knight all I could think was how cool it would be if this was a Diablo style game. The loveliness of the knights combat seemed wasted on a 2d platformer.

19. Soon says:

Oh my goodness.

20. stillwater says:

I hope it’s better than the first one. Trine was gorgeous, but the level design was totally forgettable, the puzzles were way too easy, and the brainless, respawning enemies were tedious beyond belief.

• gritz says:

Yeah skeletons got old quick. This game would be damn near perfect as a “MetroidVania”, with seamless level transitions and an emphasis on exploration.

21. Fumarole says:

That looks positively delectable.

22. Rii says:

It should be illegal to look that pretty.

• Wulf says:

CreaVures is unusually pretty, too, but sadly is being criminally overlooked. (To keep up the legal theme.) It’s a shame because it’s a very similar sort of game to Trine.

23. milkkart says:

bloom 2: the bloomening. funny how we spend money on high res displays to look at a load of blur.
    looks like a fun game though. agree with the guy who said it would be better in 3d though, like a platformy diablo.

• Shadowcat says:

and dark! why is it so dark?! is that a side effect of the bloom or something?

• cmi says:

“and dark! why is it so dark?! is that a side effect of the bloom or something?”

just a wild guess: bloomed lights look spectacular in dark surroundings

Big Murray says:

I never quite forgave the original for taking the essense of Lost Vikings and turning it into a bog-standard platformer. Shame.

25. mkultra says:

Ugly people hate on bloom because they are jealous of its beauty.

26. D3xter says:

Needs moar bloom.

Aside of that, I really, REALLY want Online Co-Op on this… I think I still haven’t finished the first cause we stopped in about the middle and didn’t get around to finishing it.

27. Armante says:

that looks amazing

28. Zanchito says:

Yay! The original game was extremely beautiful, charming and fun! Good news!

29. Longrat says:

Such a colorful game! I’m so happy to see that color is rejoining the gaming industry after about a decade of brown and grey.

30. Ondrej says:

Lovely looking stuff. Makes me want to replay Trine again and finally collect everything there is to collect. And achievements! Will be getting Trine 2 just because of that adorable snail.

31. cmi says:

Woah! Eyecandy!

32. Stevostin says:

If I were Blizzard I would buy the company and make sure their AD is working on my next titles. There aren’t a lot of people worldwide able to produce such “universally enchanting” visuals !

33. Navagon says:

Well it’s definitely pretty. Hopefully it will also be pretty good.

34. Cirdain says: