Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony

By Quintin Smith on March 21st, 2011 at 9:27 am.

Don't stop firing until you see the whites of the high score screen, lads!

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Jamestown, the upcoming indie co-op bullet hell shooter from Final Form games, has both the best setting and the best catchphrase ever. The setting: a 17th century British colonial Mars. As in, the planet Mars. The catchphrase: “Mars is waiting! Bring your friends!”

I think I’m in love. Check out the trailer after the jump, and many thanks to RPS reader Jim “The Last Biceps” Crawford for sending this in.

Look at that pixel art! That’s the good stuff. It’s been forever since I played a shmup properly, but this looks like it won’t just hold my attention, it’ll cradle it in both hands. Roll on Summer 2011.

, , .

1. Risingson says:

Tell me that I’m not the only one having a Core Design deja-vu. Tell me that this ship is not taken directly from Heimdall 2.

Lars Westergren says:

That setting and graphics brought up the memory of a game I had forgotten about – Space 1889 for the Amiga. It was a steampunk RPG, Victorian British people who could sail to Mars and other planets in flying ships. Some Googling reveals it was based on a tabletop game.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Definitely got me thinking of my old Amiga too! Aww those were the days. Of course I admit I wanted a Neo Geo, and in some ways this here game looks a bit like what that console offered, so maybe my inner child will be happy if I buy this along with the most powerful autofire joystick IN THE WORLD mwhahahaaaaaaaa

• Dominic White says:

Gunvalkyrie on the Xbox was also set on Jules Verne-esque British-colonized Mars. Lots of varnished wood panelling and enormous valve/bulb-based computational devices.

• MadTinkerer says:

Dunno if you care, but the Space 1889 tabletop RPG was recently revived by Pinnacle: http://www.peginc.com/

No news on any new Space 1889 videogame licenses, but PEG have the IP rights now, so you’d have to ask them.

3. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not quite the best setting and similarly not quite the best catchphrase. But it’s good to be excited. Not that I am, but just saying.

4. Curvespace says:

Oh. Hell. Yes. Son.

5. Choca says:

For a second I thought this was named Jaynestown. Which would have been somewhat even more awesome.

6. Dominic White says:

Those developers have been playing a lot of Cave shmups. Especially Guwange, from the looks of things.

See? Similar ‘vertical scrolling through an isometric setting’ deal, even, with waves of densely packed enemies moving diagonally through it.

To this, I can only say ‘HELLS OF YES’. Also ‘Buying this shit on day 1′.

• Spacewalk says:

Ketsui’s also got a case of the isometrics but that’s a different kind of futuristic so making the comparison to Guwange is probably more accurate, considering how it scrolls. It is very Cave inspired, those beam attacks especially. They look liked they’ve been ripped straight from Dodonpachi. This is totally something that I would buy.

• Veracity says:

I got some shades of Takumi there, too, but maybe that’s just the weird aspect ratio.

Hard to imagine 4 players working. Has anyone made a non-vs one of these things that really works with more than one? Silkworm?

• Spacewalk says:

I don’t know how successful but the Dreamcast port of Giga Wing 2 comes to mind. That would be Takumi again then.

7. gorgol says:

Epic! Love the music.

Oozo says:

Nothing compared to “Loving father. Caring husband. Secret Octopus.” Still, it looks interesting.

Gap Gen says:

Slightly disappointed that the 17th century setting seems confined to the background, with the game looking like a standard bullet hell thing, but eh.

• ScubaMonster says:

Yeah that was my thoughts. It starts out with that unique set up then doesn’t do anything with it.

10. F4T C4T says:

Nice art work! Although it’s a shame that it’s a bullet hell shooter and not some rpg/adventure thing. I feel like I want to be wandering around on that isometric plane and exploring the unusual setting rather than floating around the top of it and covering it in bright bullets.

Guess I’m just not a bullet hell shooter fan.

• JFS says:

You’re absolutely right, and Gap Gen above you is as well. Why oh why did they have to make this a shoot-em-up? Sad pug.

• soundofvictory says:

Maybe there will be a related RPG in the future? Judging by the name “Final Form” and the awesome company logo animation I am guessing these guys are big RPG fans.

I laughed out loud at the logo. It just reminded me of a ton of old school JRPGs where the boss starts out as some semi-menacing small creature but then morphs into different forms until it is a towering beast that encompasses the screen.

11. Tei says:

I would play a game where the spanish got invaded by superior technology aztecs (flyiing pyramids, and the like), and the anglosaxons are exterminating the indians, that are elfs. And you play as the queen of france, as some sort of superheroine, saving these elfs :D

• rivalin says:

Heroic French protecting the oppressed while the British are brutally enslaving and exterminating them? That really would be an alternative reality!

HO HO!

• Tengil says:

Yeah, obviously both the Spanish, French and British should be cast as brutal oppressors.

12. Dominic White says:

There are *tons*. The thing is, the vast majority of them are only released in Japan, because nobody else wants to touch them, which is very, very sad.

13. Robert says:

Awesome trailer, nice setting.. but.. I cannot play schmups like that for more than a couple minutes. :sadface:

14. ado says:

I’m not a fan of arcade shooters like this, but damn man! That looks awesome.

I love this indie revolution.

15. Shazbut says:

My God, it’s like Pop and Twinbee or something. Beautiful. Never thought I’d see the day where a trailer like that would proudly state “Coming to PC” at the end of it.

16. MCM says:

The title “Jamestown: Legend Of The Lost Colony” is a bit confusing since Jamestown was a succesful colony in Virginia and “the Lost Colony” was an abandoned/destroyed colony in North Carolina. And this one is on Mars. Wat?

17. Igor Hardy says:

I love the screen with the ship floating over red terrain, but is it actually from a cutscene?

Because the trailer itself seems like just a bunch of random things shooting at each other. I don’t feel the 17th century flavor at all.

18. terry says:

I love the art, but bullet hell games are too scary for me :<

Nice use of “amiga brown” though.

19. nuh uh no way says:

Fuck yeah, Philadelphia.

20. squareking says:

YES. Been waiting a year or so for this. That is some artful, Metal Slug-caliber animation and illustration. Also, anything inspired by Cave’s earlier efforts is worth playing.

RPS needs to do a feature on Crimzon Clover. The PC is overflowing with excellent doujin shmups, you know! Give Japan your money!

Hodge says:

I’m rubbish at bullet hell shooters and I still think this looks fun.

22. adonf says:

“From an indie studio in our nation’s birthplace”

I guess this guys aren’t quite comfortable with the idea of an international computer network yet.

23. noom says:

Excellent. But considering the mental accuity needed to succesfully play any kind of bullet hell shmup, the concept of four-player bullet hell just makes me feel a bit weak.

24. Holybasil says:

For a second there I read Jaynestown :(

25. Branthog says:

For some reason, I read this as JONEStown and wondered it if was some weird mass-suicide game.