Spotlight On Biscuit- Section 8: Prejudice

By Quintin Smith on March 21st, 2011 at 11:46 am.

Have you noticed that the alt-text on every photoshopped image is us complaining about how long it took us?

As nice as it would be to say that Rock, Paper, Shotgun is the only source of cynical, British, top-quality PC gaming journalism on the internet, we cannot, as that would involve ignoring internet phenomenon (and regular RPS commenter) Cynical Brit (aka Total Biscuit). His videos and shoutcasts routinely reach an audience of hundreds of thousands, the bastard. What to do about this? After months of plotting we calculated that bringing about his death would be unfeasibly expensive, and so we have organised a tentative alliance.

Today we present to you the first Spotlight On Biscuit, a weekly feature in which we’ll highlight the best of Total Biscuit’s videos for that week, and also spotlight an actual biscuit, just to make sure nobody reads the headline and goes home disappointed. Today we’ve got TB explaining “WTF Is…” Section 8: Prejudice, and a look at that firm favourite, the Ginger Crunch Cream.

My feelings on the Ginger Crunch should be clear to anybody who remembers the RPS Biscuit Charity Drive, since that’s the biscuit I chose to send all over the world. As for the Ginger Crunch Cream… you know, I’m really not that fond of it. It tastes too decadent to me. I’d be happy with just the Ginger Crunch, thanks, but here’s two of them, with cream in between? Jeez! Isn’t this world crazy enough already?

Anyway, here’s Total Biscuit on Section 8: Prejudice.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Crimsoneer says:

Wehey! I remember listening to TB back in the good old days of WoW Radio and Blue Plz, and I haven’t really payed much attention to his stuff since, so this should be interesting :)

Although I miss Slanik :(

• frenz0rz says:

Did you listen to Slanik and Turpster’s show on OMFG.fm while it was still going? I think the archives are down right now, but if you’ve not listened to it, you’re in for a treat. Its good old Slanik just rambling about stuff and things. I forget when they stopped broadcasting, but I was very disappointed, since it had become my Monday night ritual to sit down after a long day of work with a pint of lager and a bowl of peanuts, and chuckle to myself as I listened to them whilst playing Torchlight.

God, to think I started listening to Vendor Trash in 2005 when I was only 15. Those were the best gaming days of my life.

• Crimsoneer says:

Agree entirely – Vendor Trash and WoW were something of a ritual to me. Mind you, that’s also when I was undeniably addicted to WoW, but those were still the good days :P

2. Bilbo says:

I like the fact that he’s “Cynical Brit” rather than “A Cynical Brit”. Gives me hope that the rest of us might not actually be that cynical. Then I remember how cynical I am of the whole “internet fame” thing and grudgingly go back to my corn flakes and White Dwarf

• TotalBiscuit says:

I was informed by marketing that the extra A and space would increase cost of merchandise production by almost 7% and that ‘we aren’t bloody millionaires’, so was forced to drop it :[

• Bilbo says:

Well the logic there is undeniable

• DJ Phantoon says:

Would’ve been cheaper to tell you ‘we ren’t bloody millionaires’.

• Mirqy says:

I want to rent bloody millionaires too. Can I download them online?

• D3xter says:

Wouldn’t “Cynical Git” or “Cynical Tit” have been a better choice then… from a purely financial point of view?

• Quasar says:

Or just cut right to the chase with ‘Bastard’?

• DigitalSignalX says:

It’s interesting – his subscription emails say “TotalHalibut” and his Tube vids are bookended with “Cynical Brit” and his casts say “TotalBiscuit” – is he having an identity crisis, or perhaps he’s just so cool that one name can’t contain him :) I suspect the latter.

btw, deploying flamingos ftw.

3. KingKrapp says:

I found TB through his Magicka videos with The Yogscast, and for the last two days I’ve been obsessively churning through his videos whilst drunk.

Obligatory Yahtzee reference.

4. Dominic White says:

S8: Prejudice looks like a seriously good game. The fact that it’s launching for £10/$15 is just amazing.

Proper dedicated servers, 40-player matches, all the PC gaming essentials are there. There’s a full campaign mode too, even if TB can’t see the appeal (most people play offline, even for stuff like this, so that’s why). Also, jetpacks and mechs. Always good, those.

I want.

• Bilbo says:

The price tag is the biggest selling point – I had a good go on the original, and it just feels ponderous and slow. You’re better off with Battlefield 2, and that can’t be more than a tenner these days for anyone who doesn’t already own it.

• Dominic White says:

The heavy, slow movement and high survivability are the biggest selling point to me. Why would I want another generic modern army-man game where everyone dies from a quick burst of generic bullet fire, when I can have a complex game with about 20 different weapon types, multiple layers of armor with different properties and a universal headshot-proof energy shield over that?

The original Section 8 was the only online shooter I’ve played where retreating from a fight going badly wrong was an option. In every single other game on the market, once you commit to a fight, you either win or die.

Section 8 was the only game that made me feel like I was stomping around in an enormous suit of high-tech powered armor, rather than being just a regular soldier-man in vaguely fancy looking pajamas.

• Bilbo says:

I don’t really define modern warfare a-likes as “fast”. That’s probably my biggest bone of contention there. I don’t really like playing competitive shooters in which the skill reward isn’t really there; when survivability is this high, I can wilfully blam away at somebody for a couple of seconds, only to watch them gradually react and stomp out of danger. Boring.

Where you identified large matches and dedicated servers as your key points of interest, I felt vindicated in suggesting BF2. If you will insist on moving the goalposts all the time you’re always gonna have trouble, ultimately.

• Dominic White says:

Getting the first shot off on someone, winning instantly is LESS skillful than a game that requires you to score multiple solid hits and evade a counterattack. I have no idea how people got the idea into their heads that ‘Click first = more gooder’.

• tomeoftom says:

Or, rather, it’s a much more shallow skill than anything else. Back in my intense TF2 phase, I’d often hear idiots deriding the Heavy as “skillless” but his lack of mechanic complexity meant extreme care had to be taken to organise your team around you, and to make considered tactical judgements. To perhaps exaggerate, it’s like valuing the snappy footwork of a football player over a game of chess player, because “it’s way too easy to move the pieces”.

• TotalBiscuit says:

You do die quite a bit quicker in Prejudice, though you still take quite a few hits, depends on how you configure your module upgrades. I certainly wouldn’t call it slow and ponderous, particularly thanks to jetpacks, sprint and overdrive, plus the addition of the spectre jetbikes give you a way to move around the battlefield particularly fast.

• Bilbo says:

Can’t say I’ve touched Prejudice. If they’ve added some stuff to speed things up a bit, that’s a) a good thing and b) vindicates my position somewhat, eh?
      As for the whole “There’s more skill in realising you’ve been shot and slinking back to your hole to slumber and feed than in reacting, aiming, shooting, and continuing”, not buying it. They’re entirely different, and although I have a strong feeling which is the more difficult skill – hint: one can’t be taught, only learnt – I wouldn’t dream of objectively stating it as fact. I wasn’t advocating one-shot kills either, but I’m still not in favour of the opposite – there’s a balance to be struck between twitch and strategy, and I don’t think any modern manshoot really gets it right, section 8 included. If you want strategic PVP combat with the aiming-and-clicking learning curve removed, maybe try an RPG.

• Wilson says:

@Dominic White – As tomeoftom already touched on, it isn’t necessarily less skillful to one-shot someone because you shot first. How did you get into a position to shoot first? The skill comes from learning the map, learning and remembering where people are likely to be, knowing when to be moving and when to be ready to shoot, and so on. In games where people die quickly, the skills that are of key importance are very different to those in games where people die more slowly. The above skills are still important in games where people die slower, but not as much, with other skills taking their place. Doesn’t mean either kind of game is necessarily better or requires more skill.

EDIT: Also, what Bilbo has said above me is very interesting, but I kind of didn’t read it until I wrote my own reply, so it might look like I’m ignoring him a bit. Sorry Bilbo!

• Bilbo says:

Here here.

EDIT: Don’t sweat it champ, happens all the time

5. tomeoftom says:

Do almond fingers count as a biscuit?

• KingKrapp says:

They better, those things are delicious.

• tomeoftom says:

TOTALLY!

• KingKrapp says:

I remember when I was at school, my dad would always put an almond finger in a little tupperware box in my lunchbox for recess. Those were the days.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I don’t know if its a biscuit. Maybe its a cake? The difference between a cake and a biscuit, apparently, is that a biscuit goes soft when its going mouldy, and a cake goes hard. I heard it on telly so it must be true. Leave an almond finger on your coffee table for a bit, and see if it goes floppy or stiff (fnarr fnarr). Then pronounce it cake or biccie.

• KingKrapp says:

The problem with that is anyone who leaves an almond finger uneaten is sick and must be stopped.

6. Mike says:

I feel much the same way. You set yourself up for something crunchy, but the cream seems intent on sabotaging it? It’s a very odd combination. Also, useless for consumption with hot drinks.

Also the game looks good.

• HermitUK says:

I’ll take the plain Ginger biscuit over the cream-filled one any day.

Though recently I discovered ginger biscuits with little bits of lemon in as well, and they are amazing.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I love a cream-filled ginger. Biscuits are nice as well.

• Moni says:

I think you’re eating your cream filled ginger biscuits wrong. The cream balances the spiciness of the ginger, so I like to use something like the Oreo method. Twist the top half off, eat one ginger biscuit, lick the cream, then finish the other biscuit.

• President Weasel says:

You are wrong about the ginger crunch cream’s unsuitability for dunking. It may require a little more technique than the standard ginger crunch, but it’s eminently dunkable.

The dunkenspace has room for the Tim Tam Slam so a quick dunk of a ginger crunch cream, enough to soften the biscuit without dissolving the cream, is hardly outlandish.

• Surgeon says:

Wipe away those impure thoughts of Ginger Crunch Creams, with these, Rington’s Ginger Snaps:

Quite simply the most amazing ginger snap ever.
      They’ve a lovely crunch to them, but better still, they turn all yummy and chewy with a bit of tea dunkage.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Seriously guys. Ginger. With biscuits? That must be one of the worst ways to ruin your hard-earned delight. Ugh.

• Surgeon says:

Heretic!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Best comment thread ever.

• Lambchops says:

Fox’s Ginger Crunch Creams are an absolutely amazing biscuit (currently on special offer at Sainsburys for all you crunch fans out there – not that I’m advocating shopping at Sainsburys in general, it just happens to be on my way home) and my favourite of all the crunch creams.

7. LimEJET says:

I noticed TB because of his “WTF is?” videos. When I realized he also did WoW and Starcraft commentary, I unsubscribed instantly.

Then I noticed his Magicka videos with the Yogscast, and subscribed yet again.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Yeah, I usually just dismiss all those Shoutcraft and Azeroth Daily videos and put up with subscribing simply because the WTF is? videos are so refreshing. I understand why he does them though, as you need a flow of content in order to keep people coming back, and it’s not like new games come out every day.
      I do wish he’d do some more Retribution stuff, but I guess Harlequin is better at that sort of thing anyways.

• Quasar says:

I’m not much into WoW, but I do like TB as a Starcraft commentator. I also like Day[9], so I guess I’m more interested in lols than anything else.

8. DanPryce says:

This is why I love RPS.

9. Teddy Leach says:

This looks like it’ll be bloody brilliant in co-op. I’ll certainly be picking this up.

10. Moni says:

Yay! Superhero crossover!

11. RagingLion says:

Wow, don’t start the show with a show stopper: ginger crunch cream is pretty much the best there is. All you need to do is mention chocolate-covered hobnobs and everyone can go home already.

I knew Total Biscuit was an RPS commenter and had a website, but didn’t realise he was such a huge Youtube presence until in this last month when I started watching the Yogscast Minecraft videos and then they starting recording Magicka sessions with TB. Fun stuff.

12. pakoito says:

Looks like I’m the only cookie-hater in the audience.

• D3xter says:

I always preffered cookies to biscuits…

• KingKrapp says:

Obviously there’s the localisation issue, but what is the difference between the two? I always imagine that a biscuit is traditionally the smaller and harder of the two, and a cookie is larger and less likely to have inventive flavours.

Australian, btw.

• Berzee says:

As I mentioned last time this came up, biscuits in America are a sort of soft, unsweetened scone, good with jam or breakfast sausage. Not in the slightest way comparable to a cookie except they’re both baked. Isn’t that CRAZY? Man, countries, hey?

• Gepetto says:

I’ve always thought that a ‘biscuit’ is a catch-all term, while ‘cookie’ is a very specific type of biscuit. A sub-species, if you will.

• Nick says:

Cookies are what the Cookie Monster eats.

13. gorgol says:

Lawl, he was getting owned. L2P FPS TotalBiscuit.

P.S. The picture of the biscuit made me hungry.

14. HermitUK says:

I see from the video the lock-on feature makes a return. Found that an irritant when I played the beta of the first game, as it took the skill out of a fair few fights.

Still, for £10 I might be tempted, assuming friends are interested in getting it, and it’s possible for us to stick together as a team without the game splitting us up all the time.

• TotalBiscuit says:

Yeah I have no idea why that’s even in there. Admittedly it doesn’t last very long at all, it’s fairly hard to get a complete kill out of it and it takes a while to recharge. Hopefully it’s possible to turn it off in the server settings.

• Dominic White says:

The lock-on is basically a quick burst of ability to track super-fast targets, like guys jetpacking over your head or boost-running past you. Hardly takes the skill out of the game, as it’s a brief burst of accuracy that everyone has. You can’t even use it 10% of the time.

• HermitUK says:

While I’ve not played Prejudice, my overwhelming memory of the original beta is that quite a few fights were won by simply locking on and jump shooting, once you’d knocked the enemy shields down somewhat. To me it seemed like the Section 8 version of the Halo beatdown – knock out the shields with gunfire then lock on for an easy kill. It’s entirely possible it’s been balanced since I last played it. And its inclusion won’t dictate whether I get it or not. It just seems like an ability the consoles might need, but you could easily drop it from the PC version entirely.

• Gnoupi says:

Actually, I wouldn’t say it takes away the skill out of the fight. It just puts it differently.

The lock-on means that the first one attacking will get an advantage for a quick-kill. There are ways to disrupt the lock-on as well (simply passing behind a crate, or using a specific device).

As such, it gives another aspect of skill not relying only on aiming, simply, it’s more of a tactical approach. And since this game features strongly armored characters, it helps also to avoid the “dancing around for 20 seconds until one dies finally”.

15. AndrewC says:

Oh that voice.

16. Chalky says:

What awesome news! Congrats TB, and congrats RPS ;)

17. crainey92 says:

This Weekly feature I like, alot. Anyhows unfortunately I have been oblivious to TB upto this point in time and he is very entertaining so that is rather unfortunate, as for Section 8, the first game was awesomely unique and from the looks of it this title can only be better, I like it.

18. Navagon says:

New weekly features with videos galore? Hmm… and biscuits too? Oh RPS, you’re really spoiling us!

This Section 8 is looking a lot better than the first. Can’t put my finger on why exactly but there you go. Hopefully the severs will be less lifeless than the first’s.

19. Flimgoblin says:

Surely this should hav been titled “WTF is… Cynical Brit”

20. Tei says:

To be honest, I visit Youtube a lot more since things like this type of podcast and lets play started to happend more often. I am probably not alone.

Wen you get stuck in a game, is pointless to try to search in google a walktrought. The tubes are clogged by a lot of websites with spam and linkfarms, that get you crazy. The information is there, but is very hard to find.
    But if you type “{name of game} walktrought” in youtube, you always get something, often something useful. Is perfect to solve one of these stuck moments. ( I did once in New Vegas, and again in Two Worlds 2).

If you have the luck to have a game commented by people like Total Biscuit, or Simon and Lewis, then is perfect, as you get some direct experience about these games.

Yes, youtube has awnful comments, but you are not forced to read the comments section of a video.

21. worbat says:

mmm more Cynical Brit in my day!

22. terry says:

I love a biscuit.

23. Trousers says:

Great announcer voice, my new (and only second) youtube subscription

24. bit_crusherrr says:

I really liked the first Section 8. I was incredibly excited when I got a Predjudice beta invite. Then after I downloaded the client It said my license had expired so I never got to play it :(

It’s looking really good though. Can see be getting this.

25. zergrush says:

TBs Starcraft casting is pretty good too.

Hadn’t realized that he was the same guy that usually comments here ~.~

26. Makariel says:

I pretty much stopped playing Starcraft 2, but I still watch TBs SHOUTcraft entry level e-sports commentary. Very entertaining!

27. TotalBiscuit says:

May I recommend the following to improve your Youtube experience immensely.

Install that addon, go to settings, select block all comments and enjoy a clean, sweet and wonderful Youtube without any of the nonsense.

28. JohnDrama says:

I got “banned” from subscribing to totalbiscuits channel after a few cynical comments, Nevertheless the game looks good, ill wait and see if its supported by the developer after release as to whether i buy it or not.

• TotalBiscuit says:

What is your Youtube username? I don’t moderate my channel, I have people for that (oh lar-dee-dar!). I can look into it and see if the ban was really justified or if someone was just being triggerhappy.

29. Berzee says:

But those comments…I know they’re down there, just pulling at my eyes, forcing me to peek.

The current (hopefully fleeting) trend in RPS comments to devolve so quickly into “THATS YOUR OPINION” makes it feel a little bit like youtube with better spelling, now that I think of it. =)

30. Squirrelfanatic says:

@Tei: Really? I always found gamefaqs.com to be a reliable source for well written walkthroughs and hints. Many games even got spoiler free walkthroughs, something that youtube probably can’t deliver.

31. Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s a pretty tough cookie (or is it biscuit?). *referring to the picture*

TotalBiscuit’s a pretty good commentator.. I haven’t subscribed to him, because I would get too many videos I’m not interested in. Still, I pay a visit to his channel every once in a while.

32. Milky1985 says:

“The unreal 3 engine is very customizeable”

I assume hes not talking about graphics options as i seem to remember UT3 not being that customizable, and bits that were were using stupid words rather than simple ones like “high” and “low”. I think they added more later but when it started out there wasn’t much!

33. shunt31 says:

Is it just me, or is TotalBiscuit the one that does the voiceovers for Savage Games, especially for the tutorials?

34. Milky1985 says:

Oh also, what was the talk of these wierd things called “dollars”? What have they got to do with brits? :P

35. Huw_Dawson says:

There was a paragraph of unsureness here, but I’ll summarise all that by saying that I, personally, don’t like TotalBiscuit’s stuff. He doesn’t do anything for me. But that’s just my opinion, not trying to hate on anyone. Now that my knee-jerk response is out of the way, I do actually have a valid point.

There is a huge treasure trove of talented commentators, humourists etc on Youtube, beyond the big names like TotalBiscuit, HuskyStarcraft, the Machinima folks etc, that really deserve coverage here for the great PC gaming content they put out. I know quite a few via one of the many subsets of the Youtube LPing community – but to paraphrase Yahtzee’s recent article on Let’s Playing, the signal-to-noise ratio on Youtube is so high that it’s hard for voices to be heard.

I wonder if RPS would consider doing a series where really good PC gaming content put out onto Youtube (or other sites which allow for anybody to submit stuff) would be showcased? There’s already a Mod News weekly covering the modding community, so why not a Indie Content weekly that focuses on good video/written/audio content that may have been missed by everyone?

36. DXN says:

Yay! Always been a fan of CB, never been a fan of WoW, happy for the chance to get one without the other. :3

37. Xan says:

Oh god I was looking forward to this game SO MUCH…

Then I saw it still uses GFWL :<

I R SAD PUPPY.

38. Ohle says:

Woot Totalbiscuit and team… combined with RPS this is some sort of delicious treacle tart. I assume that’s a decidedly British dessert or something… I think I learned it from Harry Potter.

39. Jambe says:

I wouldn’t watch that if I had forty minutes to kill even though I’m interested in Section 8: Prejudice.

Hopefully there’ll be more short-form vids in future.

Yay for the game, though.

40. Frye2k11 says:

I remember the chronicles of a goldfarmer from years back. Was well funny. Nice to see the same guy made lots more. Adding to favorites, thank you.

41. DigitalSignalX says:

Until about 6 months ago, YouTube was completely off my radar in the “nonsense I don’t need in my life” techno denial category that Twitter, Facebook and smart phones still proudly occupy. Tthe only time I’d visit was when some other site or forum had a link instead of embedding a vid. But after stumbling on Day[9] and Biscuits esports casts, I’m now hooked. They really are superb and well worth every second your bum gets more writers rash from sitting in front of the PC all day.