Because I Only Just Noticed It: Tricky Truck

By John Walker on March 22nd, 2011 at 4:30 pm.

Is this jack-knifed? I've never known that that means.

Okay, it’s time to stop. I’ve found the best game ever. And I’ve not even played it yet. The fine Mr Cameron IMs me saying, “Euro Truck Simulator, eat your heart out,” and he’s right. In fact, everything else, eat your heart out. Tricky Truck is a game about driving a giant, heavy lorry across tracks that look like they were built by a Trackmania fan who only had concrete. Oh! It’s from Gravitysensation, the guys who did Sumotori Dreams! Right, I’m going to play it – see if my enthusiasm is correctly placed, or if I was right to be a bit worried by a website that looks like it’s been run through that Geocities filter. (And before anyone says, I know full well that Kieron posted about this last August, but no one took any notice, including me, so I’m highlighting it all over again. And we’ll keep posting it until you care. It’s only your time you’re wasting.)

Hooray! It’s sort of fantastically badly brilliantly good! It’s essentially an elaborate truck parking simulator, but where the roads to the parking stop were designed by Dali. And perhaps most importantly, has levels called Wall Jump and Death Slope. It’s full of drunken physics. And it’s rather fun.

I think what has been most clearly highlighted about this is that I should never, ever be allowed to drive a truck. Or even a car pulling a trailer.

It’s also free to an extent. If you pay you get five more trucks, and a whole bunch more levels. It’s $12.90 for the full thing, or oddly if you only want it for 45 days you’ll only need to pay $5.40. Have a look at a whole bunch of footage of it:

, , , .

1. brulleks says:

Played it last August. It’s great. Erm, thanks Kieron… ;)

2. Inigo says:

A geocities website not built for 800×600 resolutions and has no animated .gifs for a background? That’s just crazy talk.

3. N says:

I want to be a floating head.

4. DJ Phantoon says:

Because fuck YOU, gravity.

And also, yeah, didn’t see it last year.

Probably not BECAUSE Karen Gillan wrote the article, mind. Just missed it.

JB says:

No Mr Walker, that’s not jackknifed. For your elucidation:

6. Dreamhacker says:

John Walker: Have you tried Rekkasturvat? (finnish for Truck Dismount) It’s a finnish made physics game about driving a truck into a wall. The crazier the crash, the higher the score.

phuzz says:

Oh yeah, and their Stair Dismount (Porrasturvat) is even simpler. Just hurl a crash test dummy* down some stairs. The more damage you do, the more points you get :)

*(AKA a poorly rendered avatar of your least favourite person, depending on how psychopathic you are)

• littlewilly91 says:

Uh truck dismount gave me mild malware. Sure it’s not the developers intention but yes.

7. Mr Chug says:

John’s getting obscure game tips from the prime minister now?

• dan. says:

Damn it! I was going to make a similar joke. That’ll teach me for being two hours late to a discussion.

8. Yorick says:

It apparently requires an active Internet connection to start when the full version is purchased. Tasty DRM.

I think those trucks might have slightly less mass and slightly more torque than their real life counterparts…

Also: madness.

• LionsPhil says:

I was thinking while watching it that this is the game Rigs of Rods should be pretty much because the trucks are souped-up enough to actually lark about on the primitive and blocky terrain, rather than realistically getting stuck on its polygonial lumps.

…actually this has substantially smoother roads than the aggressively simulationist ungame which is RoR.

9. Wilson says:

But John, I already know about this! How dare you subject me to reading about something I’ve already tried out? I’m both shocked and appalled, in about a 3:2 ratio.

10. Inigo says:

Now I’ve actually watched the trailer I can express my concern that Blue Truck does not have the same charm as Blue Drunken Wrestler Made Of Quadrilaterals.

11. Plopsworth says:

This + The Wages of Fear [a French film, wherein group of desperate men in South America drive trucks packed with volatile nitroglycerin across perilous roads] (or Sorceror, the American remake) would be such a great match.

12. Navagon says:

If the creators of The Neverhood made a trucking sim, this would probably have been it.

13. Anguy says:

Yay! I love physics.
    I remember when UT 2003 came out and I jumped into one of those deathholes, where your corpse would bounce off bars and poles, for over an hour because those ragdolls looked so… new and exciting.

14. slight says:

Is it just me or does it look like it’s using some sort of fancy pseudo-radiosity type lighting?

15. Rowsdower says:

Even though I have yet download this I’m overcome with the urge to get extremely drunk and play this game.

16. Kaira- says:

For some reason this game reminded me of a Finnish game Rekkaturvat (Truck Dismount ), where the point is to inflict the maximum possible damage to a ragdoll.

17. Pointless Puppies says:

Looks like a US Postal Service simulator to me.

18. Freud says:

I get an Elastomania general feeling when I watch the video.

19. Pani says:

Never have I ever wanted to play a simulator before….

…until now.

20. harmen says:

3:44 reminds me of the ‘road’ between China and Kyrgyzstan.

Stompywitch says:

It’s like a simulator of being my dad!

22. SuperNashwanPower says:

Anyone else with XP finding that the download for this crashes the ‘save target as’ function? It tries to bring up the dialogue where you choose the download file location and then hangs. Yeah I know XP is old but I am poor :(

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I would have edited this to say dont worry I sorted it out, but now my edit box has crashed. Today is not my day it would seem.

23. Crescend says:

Hehah let’s see how my real life truck licence fares against these challenges..

24. Teronfel says:

This is awesome!!!

25. ZIGS says:

Big Rigs is still better

26. GHudston says:

This game has such satisfying crashes, yet all of these challenges seem to want to reward me for careful, precise driving… what is this crap?!

27. Xirex says:

I played this ages ago when it was last on RPS, but I had no idea it had been updated with new trucks and courses. I’m going to have to give it another go, as I love physics games. Thanks John!

Henke says:

Jeez I mailed you guys about this half a year ago, just after the level editor had been added and the game was really starting to take off. Anyway, nice that you’re finally giving it the props it deserves. :)

mpk says:

This is like the continuing life story of that poor bastard on the bike in Trails 2 – rode a bike, fell off and landed on my neck a bunch of times; got old, drove a truck round a loop the loop.

30. skx says:

add a Gamepad and you have Blast Corps ♥♥♥♥♥

31. Simes says:

I think some of those bridges may not be up to code.

32. Muzman says:

This wasn’t that great to begin with, but now there’s piles of fun maps for it and so on it’s really improved things.
    Although I do end up wishing there were more maps and gamey-ness in Rigs of Rods so I could play that the same way instead. The simulation and damage mechanics in that is more to my liking.

33. Ondrej says:

I used to play it couple months ago (years?) when it was still in early stage of development and free to play. Required a beastly machine to run properly, though. Has it improved?

EDIT: sadly, it doesn’t work here, my truck is stuck under the game world, endlessly drifting to void. Bummer.

34. Dhatz says:

is that not a render? because the AO looks perfect!

Malibu Stacey says:

Jackknifing is when the cab of a lorry turns back on itself so from top down it looks like a V shape. Think of the shape a half open pen knife would make Walker.
    No wonder you’re a terrible healer.

36. Buttless Boy says:

For some reason this reminds me of Power Shovel.

37. apa says:

For some reason my antivirus (F-Secure) doesn’t think it’s good idea to run the setup, strange. It doesn’t say whether there’s any virus or not, just that it is “harmful”. Maybe it wants to protect the trucks :D