Black Prophecy Live In Europe

By Jim Rossignol on March 22nd, 2011 at 11:21 am.

Germanic space-action MMO Black Prophecy is now live, and free to play. I’ve not had a chance to play this yet, but I surely will. My sources tell me that the action is solid enough, but much of the MMO side of the game remains superfluous or wonky, which would be a shame, if true. It certainly looks pretty, at least. Anyone else got any thoughts on it?

North America will apparently get a beta of the game “soon”. Not sure if Americans can currently get at the European game, but I suppose not.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Mashakosha says:

Trailer looks spiffy enough.

Think I’m going to have to give this a download and see what it’s like.

Edit: Cor, blimey! That’s a whole lot of download. 5.6GB in total.

2. Huw_Dawson says:

Oooooh, space combat game. MMO? Eh. Space combat game! *Whips out joystick*.

3. WMain00 says:

Does that mean it’s no longer closed beta? Can I talk now?

Because boy, was I not impressed.

• Meat Circus says:

EMBARGO OFF

Spill your rage glands.

• CMaster says:

@WMain00
      They lifted the NDA so you could talk about it a couple of months ago, and hit open beta aout a month ago. (although the closed beta was one of those “open to anyone who actually tries” ones at the end.

• WMain00 says:

“Anyway, it’s a very high fidelity game graphics wise, the space flight is pretty solid. The ship customization is very clever, however it’s also a little difficult to get right and the parts aren’t very well balanced. You’ll probably need to check the forums or a fan site to find out what a decent build looks like. You’d also be well advised to burn through the prolouge as fast as possible – the Tyi and Genide ships you get your hands on are a lot better than the starter human ship.”

Steal my thunder, why don’t you!

Yeah, so what he said. It’s a rather fiddly game to play. When you go into it your immediate thought is “Oooh Freelancer!” Actually it’s more like Eve but with quicker movements, so you’re thrown off balance a bit.

The story is a bit meh, and the voice acting is enough to make you want to rip your ears off. The prologue is boooooooorrring, but it does eventually pick up. You need to stick with it until you finally get past the prologue basically.

Despite this, it just didn’t grab me for some reason. It was a good enough sort of alternative space-MMO, but i was never massively taken in by it.

• Wulf says:

Freelancer is very, very much my kind of space shooter. I like being inside my ship. Especially when my ship is a steampunk mechanical spacewhale (I love you, Freelancer). Eve is much more typical, really, and more the sort of strategy that I don’t enjoy.

So I’m skipping this, then, going by my tastes?

• Lilliput King says:

Wulf: It’s direct ship control, the kinda thing you could use a joystick for (i.e., not like eve). You’re either in your ship or in the stations, which, much like eve’s stations, are essentially a series of menus. There are cockpit views and 3rd person views, if that helps. The combat is a fair bit like freelancer’s (arcadey, quick, pretty fun) but there isn’t any of the trading or anything like that. It’s pretty much all combat missions.

Which means it’s okay if you like arcadey space combat, I guess. I thought Jim’s comments pretty much summed the game up at the moment.

4. Meat Circus says:

I wish more MMOs would make the MMO side of the game superfluous and just let me blow shit up instead.

• BAReFOOt says:

Absolutely seconded.
      I mean having character development for story’s and power upgrade’s sake is good, but just by itself, RPGing is the chartered accountancy of gameplay. It’s dull, dull, dull… my god it’s dull… it’s so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and desperately dull.

5. Meat Circus says:

– dupe baleted –

6. Hallgrim says:

Wanted to give this a shot but I’m getting 10kb/second on the download.

7. Mitza says:

Wow, that is one retarded tutorial!

8. Hexanol says:

Closed Beta.

It’s pretty bad.

9. Nomaki says:

Like so many others, I went in thinking “Ooh, Freelancer the MMO!”, only to be sorely disappointed.
    Fiddly aiming, lots of the features and mechanics left unexplained, and the tutorial section caused all four of my friends I tried to get in to quit before even getting to the starting area.

But if you get the hang of it, the combat is very Freelancer-ish, especially with the group missions, it can be pretty fun.
    However, it gets a resounding “meh” from me.

10. darthmajor says:

The only comparison to EVE is that it has spaceships, in space. Gameplay was freelancery but less pleasant, worked pretty horrible in closed beta with 2 gigs of ram, kept crashing so i didn’t stick with it long.
    Had potential though, will try it again to see how much has changed.

11. jon_hill987 says:

I’m still waiting on Jumpgate Evolution.

• frenz0rz says:

Unfortunately, Jumpgate always comes to mind for me whenever I see a possibly awesome space-shooter MMO like this. I was very excited about it for ages, but as the press dried up and the word of the internal issues arose, I pretty much gave up hope of Jumpgate or anything like it coming out. To think everyone thought the closed beta would be out by Christmas 2009!

Bah. I’m a right old pessimist.

• jon_hill987 says:

A man can dream though… A man can dream…

• frenz0rz says:

Indeed. At the end of the day, all I’ve ever wanted to play since I was 14 is Freelancer: The MMO – a space-action universe with the depth, size and quality of WoW, and less time-consuming and ‘hardcore’ than EVE. We may still see that game yet; but alas, Jumpgate is vapourware, and it seems there are really no other decent games worth playing right now in the large-scale MMO market.

• rapchee says:

do you guys know that freelancer have quite a few facelifter and content adder multiplayer mods?
      i think crossfire is quite nice

• Malibu Stacey says:

So EVE without leaving high-sec ever then frenz0rz?

EVE is only as hardcore as you want it to be. Sadly the majority of people playing it are all about fluffy bunnies, cute kittens & other things which “hardcore” would not be used as an adjective for. Take a look at the population maps & you’ll see 90% of people are in high-sec almost all of the time playing essentially “WoW in space”.

12. Malibu Stacey says:

Been in closed beta since last summer. Was hoping it’d scratch the Elite/Freespace/I-War itch (or hell even Earth & Beyond) but alas it’s all mouth & no trousers. As with the majority of games these days the dev’s have spent a lot of time on the visual fidelity & expected the gameplay not to matter so much to their players.

Since it’s F2P give it a shot & see for yourself. The flight/aiming system gives you more direct control than EVE-Online but it just means it’s directly your fault more often when your weapons miss the target rather than you not knowing how targetting mechanics work.

13. FriendlyFire says:

Everyone should just go back to playing Freelancer. There’s a lot of fun to be had out of the old lady if you get a few mods! Just look around ModDB or The Starport, you’ll find plenty of shtuff to sink your teeth into.

This sounded like it had potential, but most everyone who’s played it come back with a universal “meh”.

14. Drheadcrab says:

The aiming systems alot better then it was in closed beta, But it still crashes as much as a drunk unicycle rider.
    Game performance is pretty bad too. (I can just about manage a solid 60fps on medium)

15. mollemannen says:

i have to restart my computer after install? o.O did the devs start making this game 10 years ago?

16. CMaster says:

Those who played it early CB, I’d recommend going back and trying again.
    It’s still not making me love it, but crashes are a lot less frequent, missions work a lot better and they changed the flight system substantially.

Oh, and everybody stop brining up EvE – the two games have almost nothing in common.

17. manveruppd says:

I am disappointed. “Germanic space shooter” had me imagining Landsknechten with cyberpunky chainsaw-edged longswords battling Space Vikings. Inside a massive cathedral orbiting a dead star in an asteroid field. Manned by cyber-enhanced monks. With cowls (normal cowls, not necessarily cyber-enhanced ones).

Oh wait, that already exists, it’s called Warhammer 40,000! Life has meaning again! :)

18. skyturnedred says:

Finally managed to download and install it, and all I get is “Login Failed.” Colour me unimpressed.

• crozon says:

Yep same here.

• CMaster says:

This is all apparently coming from the (rather stupid) decision to sell a publishing deal to a russian publisher. As part of this, they have tried to IP-block russian speaking countries. Seems they’ve actually blocked a lot more than that by accident. Some more explanation here and lots of complaints of unfair blocking can be found here

Add your voice to the complaints, I’d say.

19. m2stech says:

Does anybody know if this can be played from within Australia ?

20. Ezhar says:

Sadly it is true though.

21. Branthog says:

Oh, I thought that was an EVE screenshot.