Deus Ex 3 PC Being Co-Developed By Nixxes

By John Walker on March 23rd, 2011 at 11:58 pm.

And if it says Press Start, wipe out their pets.

I’m never quite sure how to take news that a PC version of a game is being worked on by an external studio. Volition recently named the practice as the reason for their dodgy PC ports, and have promised they will be doing all their PC development in house in future. But others use it as a means to ensure the PC version receives the extra attention it requires. Except, well, not by them. Tonight Shack News are reporting that Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s PC code is being worked on by Dutch external studio, Nixxes. But Eidos are very keen to emphasise that this is a shared development, rather than just outsourcing the whole thing.

This information is gleaned from an interview on Shack News with the game’s director, Jean François Dugas. They asked him whether the PC version was being developed in house, and his slightly confusing reply went,

“No. Well, it was done in-house, but with a partnership.”

Explaining that they don’t have the manpower in-house to create all three versions, third place PC has been given, but not given, but sort of given to Nixxes, the team who have created faithful PC ports for the recent Lara Croft & The Guardian Of Light, and the superb Tomb Raider: Underworld. (Although is this anything to do with why Lara didn’t have online co-op support for at least a month after release?) But Dugas is making sure to make it clear that the PC version is being carefully cared for by the original team.

“All the design and changes to the design has been done in Montreal and sent to [Nixxes]. We review the builds. We review and then give comments about what works and what doesn’t. It’s the exact same process, except that the programmers aren’t in the same office. It’s the same game and the same creative team taking care of it.”

The PC version will also contain a unique UI, adapted for our deft-handed ways, but more information on this and other PC features are still under wraps. Shack end by reassuring us that Dugas’s personal preference is to play the PC version over the other two, which sounds promising.

The rest of their interview is now up as well, containing some superb questions, and you can read it here. The game is set to release on the 24th August.

Cheers VG247.

__________________

« | »

, , .

• QuantaCat says:

Are you insinuating that they have made bad ports? Or did I just miss your point?
      They seem to be a long standing company with a history of ports. I think all of those ports worked.. didnt they?

EDIT: ports ports ports ports ports

• QualityJeverage says:

The only game on that list that I’ve played on the PC (To my memory anyway) is Kane and Lynch 2 and, well, my problem with it wasn’t that it was a bad port.

I guess it worked fine, so hooray Nixxes?

• Coriform says:

Well Guardian of Light turned out well enough.

• KaL_YoshiKa says:

For what it’s worth, the Legacy of Kain ports were all acceptable.

• Starky says:

Having played all of the tomb raider games listed there, and all of the legacy of Kain games on the PC, I’ve never had a single problem with them.

So I’m not getting worried yet.

• Oak says:

The PC version of Underworld is great.

• Wooly says:

I liked Snowblind!

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Well, there you go.

• Teronfel says:

I liked Snowblind too,it was quite good!

• Frank says:

Agreed: Legacy of Kain, Snowblind and Tomb Raider all worked fine for me.

• Basilicus says:

That’s a ridiculously solid list of ports, actually. If anything, it makes me a little surer the PC version should get all the required bells and whistles intact.

I’m one of the few who appreciates Kane and Lynch 2, and the PC port looked and handled much better than its console counterparts.

Project Snowblind was a fantastic game, kind of like a cheesier, cyberpunkier Call of Duty. It was originally conceived as Deus Ex 3, but quickly re-branded after Invisible War underwhelmed its sales projections.

I just bought the Tomb Raiders when a Steam sale neatly converged with that RPS Most Important Games list that praised the spin Crystal Dynamics put on the series. Played Legend – a few hiccups that I think come more from the original design – and in the middle of Anniversary, which is optimized very, very well.

Don’t know about their other porting efforts, but this looks like a rather strong resume to me, and it looks like a relationship that’s worked very effectively in the past. Don’t think there’s anything to be worried about in as Nixxes’ involvement goes.

• BeamSplashX says:

The PS2 version of Project: Snowblind was neat, but awfully stodgy-feeling*. I occasionally regret trading it in, considering my recently-revived love for Deus Ex, but I suppose getting the PC version would solve the only issue I had with it.

*There’s an input delay, which is a killer when you’re already forced to use analog sticks. And the framerate wasn’t awesome and could slow down even further. Didn’t feel very superhuman, myself.

• DarkFenix says:

Seeing this list of praise for their porting ability does put me somewhat at ease, Deus Ex 3 of all things deserves to make the most of the PC.

• Hammurabi says:

Wow. I’ve played a majority of those. I don’t recall any significant issues, controls were all appropriately PCified and whatnot. Not as a scary an announcement as it appears on the surface.

• Jade Raven says:

Just played Tomb Raider Underworld and it was a buggy mess that I eventually stopped playing when I lost all my progress.

• actionhp says:

This was probably more related with the rushed development (TRU has a lot of bugs in all platforms) than the port job made by Nixxes, as they really do a good job.

• Aemony says:

Tomb Raider: Underworld is a nasty (but still great) port which suffers from the same annoying problem as the PC port of Saint’s Row 2 does. The game is almost completely unplayable with faster CPUs on Windows 7 due to the gameplay being sped up, about 33-50%. In Saint’s Row 2 this is completely unbearable but in TRU you mostly only notice if by Lara doing acrobatics at an inhuman speed. The only way to fix the problem for both games is by playing them on Windows XP or Vista.

That said most of the other ports are better than the average and nicely optimized. We have more reason to be relieved than to be worried.

• Tei says:

Console ports are like novels written in Chinese and translated to English with babel fish. The only good port is the dead port. And mass effect and morrowind, these where decent.

• Henke says:

Underworld did crash to desktop a few times for me. I also played Lara&GOL on PC, that one worked fine. Can’t say how well the mouse was integrated since I used a 360 gamepad for both of them.

• TheApologist says:

Played all the Tomb Raider / Lara Croft games on PC and they seemed perfectly good to me.

• MadTinkerer says:

I hadn’t realized that TR: Anniversary was a port until right then. Well, duh, but the original Tomb Raider was native to PC and Anniversary was a remake of that so it didn’t occur to me that Anniversary was a port. And I’m currently a few hours into it.

So they did such a good job of porting TR:Anniversary that I didn’t realize it was a port. This bodes very well for Deus Ex. :)

• Deano2099 says:

@Aemony

There is actually a fan-patch to fix SR2 now, it is a bit fiddly though (needs different settings depending on hardware). Google Saints Row 2 Power Tools.

• Teddy Leach says:

I’ve played most of those titles and they were pretty good ports. The controls have been a bit iffy in a few of them, but nothing rebinding couldn’t fix.

• Nickless_One says:

That will be adequate.

1. Carra says:

Luckily RPS will be able to tell me if it’s a shitty port. Until then I’ll keep my money.

2. DarioSamo says:

So having PC features is something worth pointing out now? I thought we were supposed to have those in the first place.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

In an age of money grab pc ports, yes, it is.

• DigitalSignalX says:

This sort of thing perplexes me too – it’s not like all the developers in the studio are hunched over a cube farm of XBox’s and PS3′s creating the game. The game is being made literally ON PC’s. FOR A PC TOO. Surely they can’t make a game optimized for the console spec and for the PC on their PC’s at the same time.

• Dave L. says:

Actually, they can’t. The APIs are different enough that developing for both 360 and PC simultaneously requires a significant time investment.

What’s confusing is why they wouldn’t outsource the PS3 version and work on both the 360 and PC versions in-house, since the Xbox 360 SDK is much closer to programming for Windows than for PS3.

• Dominic White says:

Because in terms of raw profit margins, the PC comes a fairly distant third to the PS3 and 360 versions, where prices are higher to begin with, and stay higher for longer, combined with more steady (physical) sales over time. That’s a fact that a lot of PC gamers still don’t want to accept.

3. TillEulenspiegel says:

Gah. I didn’t realize Deus Ex 3 had been designed for consoles first.

Does that ever work out well?

• Nick says:

Worked with Arkham Asylum..

• Milky1985 says:

which has a “freeform combat system”, which is a fancy phrase for single button combat system where the game does everything for you.

Was also a suprisingly linear experience considering the setting, hopeing city expands the areas a bit

• MadTinkerer says:

When companies bother to take the time to do it right, it’s perfectly fine. I have plenty of good, bad, and merely competent ports in my Steam games list.

• Damien Stark says:

Also Mass Effect 1. The PC port was noticeably better than the console original. Still, it is rather the exception not the rule.

4. Zaboomafoozarg says:

This is looking more and more like Invisible War 2. What a shame.

• Grygus says:

Invisible War is a good game but you have to approach it with open eyes; if you come in with the crushing expectations of the first game then yes it fails because it is very streamlined, which removes a lot of the charm of the original. It has its own charm, though, and the story and level design are very Deus Ex. It’s not as good as the first game, and it’s not as long, but it’s a pretty good time if you play it for the game that it is instead of the game that it isn’t. I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind, but if you’re ever casting about for a decent FPS you might reconsider on this one. It doesn’t deserve the amount of hate that it gets.

• CMaster says:

I know I say this in every thread, but this always feels like revisionism to me.
      DX:IW wasn’t a terrible game by any means. But it did an awful lot of things very wrong, independently of the expectations of it’s predecessor. What strengths the story had were also pretty lost in the miserable failure that was the ending and also the writer’s lack of understanding of what it takes for players to care about characters.

• Skull says:

Very much agree with both Grygus and Cmaster, Invisible War wasn’t on its own a poor game, it even had the same ideas the original had and is vastly more intelligent than most other console shooters/sequals.

However, I see where Zaboom is coming from, Deus Ex 3 may well be a decent game, but will suffer the similar flaws that IW had, it could be developed with consoles in mind and become very streamlined/easy/actiony etc. Could just be the same story as with the Dragon Age series tbh.

• Eolirin says:

You’re basing this *entirely* on the fact that the PC programming is being done by a different company? Because nothing that we’ve heard about the *actual game* seems to indicate that. At all.

• gganate says:

My main beef with Invisible War was its tiny, tiny levels. The game wasn’t bad, just much smaller in scope.

• viverravid says:

One thing I’ll say for Invisible War is it handled replayability better than the original. Some of the biomods and skills in Deus Ex had extremely limited usefulness. In Invisible War, they were all good in their own way. I’ve probably done more playthroughs of IW as a result, just trying various combinations and self-imposed restrictions.

• kregg says:

Are you saying Deus Ex 3 will be A BOMB?!?!?

• sinister agent says:

I agree with pretty much all of these replies. Deus Ex 2 was by no means a bad game. Indeed, it was a rather good one. Just a bit too flawed/lacking to be brilliant (although parts of it were, and some of the ideas were great – the NG Resonance concept in particular was very memorable), and it comes off poorly in comparison to the first, which is a fairly different game.

5. Jeremy says:

It’s like an onside kick in American football, a coach is only considered a genius if it works, otherwise he’s a fool. Easy for commentators to say which is which after the fact :) I sense this will be a similar situation for Eidos, but either way, at this point, it seems to be a risky call.

• Starky says:

Depends, maybe their in house Devs don’t have much experience with PC specific hardware configurations, optimizations, direct X, ATI/Nvidia quirks, control interfaces and so on – or at least they don’t have as much and don’t have the time to do both.

• Jeremy says:

Well, if that’s the case, and it works, then they’ll be geniuses :)

6. Pantsman says:

Henceforth I will refer to this practice as port forwarding.

Anyone who gets that joke gains 500 nerd points.

7. kyrieee says:

Their words ring hollow
    We’ll see

8. Lewie Procter says:

I think the Lara GOL multiplayer delay was because one of the consoles had it as an exclusive. Publisher business, not technical.

Could be wrong on that though.

• shoptroll says:

Wackypedia does confirm (as best it can) that there was some publisher/platform exclusivity shenanigans at play regarding the GOL multiplayer

• The_B says:

Actually, assuming I remember it correctly: it was released on XBox first exclusive for a month as one of their Party promotions, then on PS3 and PC about a month later, but ALL THREE versions didn’t have online MP from the outset. I might be wrong, but I think all three versions only got the online multiplayer about a month after their respective releases on each format.

The main bit I’m not sure on is if that online was actually switched on at same time as PC and PS3 for Xbox users, I do know for almost certain they didn’t have it at launch though.

• Lewie Procter says:

Ah yes, I think the game was rushed to release for the MS promotion, before the netcode was done.

They released the other versions when the exclusivity ended, and added online co-op for each platform when it was done.

9. Moni says:

If you follow Digital Foundry, it’s been proved time and again that outsourced ports are sub-par. It’s not the fault of porting studio though, they simply just don’t have the resources.

Although, this is an interesting case. Doing a bit of Wikipedia research, Deus Ex is built on the same engine as Tomb Raider, which Nixxes have good experience doing porting work for.

• Starky says:

Digital foundry hardly counts as proof.

Besides, in the history of multi-platform gaming, most ports have been decent ports, external or not – it is simply that we only remember the BAD ones.

• Joshua says:

Mass Effect was an outsourced PC port.

It removed all the technical flaws that the original X360 version had.

10. rpsbot says:

Thus begins the long slow slide.

11. lokimotive says:

Tom Raider: Underworld was great dirty, sexy fun, but I’m always left wondering if I’m missing something without the extra “b” Nixxes left off for the PC port.

Edit: Now this doesn’t make sense.

12. Camerooni says:

I like a decent pc port.. (customised ui for the pc).. but I also want the game to behave like the console version when I plug a gamepad in..

Bad mass effect 2 and dragon age 2! It’s not like the work on a gamepad interface hasn’t been done.

13. Edward F. says:

I was worried you wouldn’t appreciate some random guy sending you a link. Thanks for using the tip , though.

Oh, shit, it appears you found it without me. Sowwy.

14. stahlwerk says:

Every port in a storm.

15. Jetsetlemming says:

I choose to be optimistic that such diehard Deus Ex and Thief fans wouldn’t allow the “home” versions to be ruined. Nixxes might be doing technical port stuff (making sure it runs on a billion PC variants, etc) while Eidos Montreal does design stuff like UI. That’s pretty reasonable, right? The technical requirements of making a PC version is sort of a Big Deal. I can see outsourcing that to a studio with the hardware and testing setup for the purpose of PC QA being a smart move, even if personally the PC version is the one you really care about.

16. Starky says:

All game versions are ports – the whole console port thing is a misnomer. They make the game (on PC) then port it to PS3, port it to Xbox and port it to PC.

This difference is lazy devs half arse the PC part by not bothering to give the PC the extra attention it needs as a platform (simply due to the volume of configurations).

Handing it to an external studio isn’t always bad, in fact there is a LONG and successful history of it – especially when the studio doing the porting are involved all along and have a good history of porting, and have worked with and have experience with the devs and engine.

No the problem with external PC ports is almost without exception (and there are a few exceptions) due to the publishers just taking bids for the port after the game is finished (and gone gold on consales (typo?)) awaiting Microsoft/Sony permission (which can take months) – so they accept the studio that can do it the cheapest and fastest – those guys have no experience of the engine, the code or the game, and just “get it working” nothing more.

Those are the bad “console ports”, and hell they can just be as easily internal to the studio as external.

• Dave L. says:

Umm, no. They do the coding, on a PC, using the SDK for the console that they’re developing for. The APIs that it is coded with are console specific. The debugger runs the code ON A CONSOLE. There is no magic button that redirects the API calls for a game coded for the PC to the console APIs. The work to make an Xbox 360 game into a PC game, or vice versa, is significant.

• Starky says:

Well perhaps, it depends, but you can’t jump lump the consoles together – if they primarily develop it on a single platform then you are correct (though most modern engines are fairly platform agnostic – or at least aim to be).
      But then one of the consoles is a port too, if they develop it primarily using Xbox 360 SDK first and foremost then both the PS3 and PC versions will of course be ports.
      Granted that is probably the most common bias, because the 360 used to sell as much as the ps3 and PC combined – you could hardly blame devs.
      Now though it’s not that much, PS3 is about equal in most cases (or close enough), and PC is doing okay, and has a much longer and healthier sale window (with price promotions and such via Steam et all).

Perhaps the engine suite they are using has native support for PS3 and 360 SDK, and doesn’t for PC – so yes in that case the PC version will be more of a port than the other 2…

I guess I should not have used the word port, in the end though all 3 are going to be running on slightly different platform specific code – and chances are the source code for that is pretty platform agnostic.

Anyway, in my mind at last…
      port = one version to rule them all finished and gold – THEN they begin making the PC/other version based on that game and that code.
      !port = All platform versions being created at the same time, each getting the platform specific attention it needs.

The latter seems to be the case here.

17. mickiscoole says:

Mass Effect 1′s PC development was outsourced, and it was generally regarded as superior to the console versions.

18. ZIGS says:

Tomb Raider Underworld was ported by them and it’s pretty good. Human Revolution uses the same engine. I’m not worried

19. CMaster says:

LC:GoL worked solidly enough, but the menus were still very much designed aroud button pushing.
    We’ll see I guess.

20. Buemba says:

Mass Effect 1 didn’t suffer from the same consolitis Mass Effect 2 did, though I don’t know whether that was because Demiurge could focus solely on the PC version or because they had extra time to work on it (My guess is a little bit of both).

All I know is I certainly wouldn’t want a team that only works on console games developing a PC port.

• Stijn says:

Check their website. They’ve done a lot of work on PC versions and PC tech stuff (rendering and such)

• Gaff says:

Demiurge’s port of ME1 from the 360 to the PC should be held up as the gold standard of console-to-PC ports.

They should be required by law to do ports of all the decent games. Other developers really should take note of everything they did right.

21. Stijn says:

Nixxes being a company that specializes in ports and has ample experience with PC ports specifically, and also a company that has been in business for a rather long time and employs some (as far as I know) highly competent (ex-)demoscene wizards, this makes me more confident that the game will be good if anything.

From how Dugas describes the workflow, this seems to be an example of outsourcing as is pretty much common practice in game development nowadays. As far as I can see this is not an especially outrageous example of it, which is illustrated by Nixxes’ website, listing several games that were also covered here but didn’t get a newspost just for the fact that porting them was outsourced.

This GamesIndustry.biz interview with Adrien Cho, Lead Technical Artist on Mass Effect, has some interesting in-depth info about this outsourcing business: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/butterfly-effect-interview (though that’s about art assets mostly, not porting)

22. TotalBiscuit says:

Oh good, because everything’s they’ve ported they’ve done well. Admittedly that the fact that it’s even a port to begin with is ridiculous but I just them not to fuck it up since they have a pedigree.

• bagga says:

Yep, there’s no reason to think this won’t be a decent port based on their history. But if, once past the intros, you’re greeted with a giant game logo and the flashing words ‘Press ENTER to start’, I will frankly have to kill someone. With my skul gun.

23. Gabe McGrath says:

I don’t mind *who* is making this game.

But 3 things in a recent gameplay video -really- annoy me.

1. ‘Glows’ around any object that you can interact with. Really breaks the immersion and I’ll feel no satisfaction whatsoever in discovering a partially-obscured airvent to climb through because the bloody thing has a bright golden glow around it.
    2. The incredibly violent 3rd person takedowns. (A) It’s supposed to be an FPS. That’s a first person shooter. (B) Deus Ex is a videogame. Mortal Kombat is a videogame. But Deus Ex != Mortal Kombat. (C) Deus Ex does not need “totally cinematic toughguy moments” so I can “punch the air” and yell “America! F*** Yeah!” or whatever reaction they’re supposed to inspire.
    3. The 3rd person cover view. What? My eyeballs have jumped out of my head again? How inconvenient! I’m going straight back to my Opthamologist and demanding a refund! (PS: I can hide behind a crate perfectly well in 1st person, thanks)

• Basilicus says:

1. I agree.

2. I don’t mind the takedowns being in 3rd-person. I do wish they were a little more practical. The last thing you want to do in a real takedown is set someone up for a complex move; you just want to get them unconscious fast. Arm bar the neck and wrap a leg, wait a bit, done.

3. I’m pretty sure you can still hide behind the crate in first-person. However, you can ALSO go into 3rd-person cover. It adds a function; it doesn’t take away the previous one.

• Navagon says:

1: This can be turned off apparently. I have to agree that it’s horrible though.

2 & 3: I think you’re getting to hung up on your idea of what pigeon hole the game ‘belongs’ in rather than whether or not these things are actually applicable to the game they’re trying to make. Deus Ex frequently had third person views where appropriate. This one seems no different.

• Nick says:

3: WHAT? I HAVE SUDDENLY GONE INTO THIRD PERSON VIEW WHILE I TALK TO MY BROTHER?

Yeah. The first/third cover thing can work quite well, at least I thought it did in Rainbow 6: Vegas for example.

• Lilliput King says:

Nick: That was different.

His vision was augmented.

• Ovno says:

1) Glows, perhaps provided by his funky cybergoggles, so perfectly in keeping with setting and not immersion breaking.

2) Killing someone in melee when you’ve got cyberarms was bound to be ultra violent, to be honest I’m supprised it doesn’t involve ripping his head off and spitting down his neck.

3) Third person hiding, as shown in many competive 1st persons means you’re very rarely actually hidden at least with this system theres a bit more realism in how the character hides.

And as for the switch to third person generally, the art team want to show off a bit so let them, I certainly dont mind a little bit of fluff in this area, as long as I dont get shot because I can’t control the cutscene…

• Wulf says:

Not to mention that the glows can actually be rather helpful to anyone who suffers with a difficult enough visual disability but still enjoys playing games. But don’t let that get in the way of that tirade. :p

Really though, I get it. Some people don’t like the glow, some people don’t like a big UI, but I actually find those things helpful. That’s why I hope that they’ll continue to be provided as options, otherwise older gamers will be forced over to the consoles just because they’re so far more accommodating in regards to accessibility, and the PC will become even more a festering grounds for elitism.

Rather than remove these things, I say – make them options! UI size? Configurable! Glows? Configurable! This used to be the bloody standard, anyway. I remember when we had options screens and INI files where we could turn these things on and off, and configure them to our leisure. So why not?

Yes, I’d probably use the glows, but I’m getting old, so I’m not quite the phat gamer that I once was. I may not spot something so quickly as eagle-eyed people who’re blessed with eyes better than mine. The thing is though is that just because someone can’t imagine a use for something, it doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be there at all. In fact, it’s probably there in the first place for a reason. And I support your right to turn it off if you don’t like it, or even to have it off by default, but let’s not take away accessibility, yeah?

• sinister agent says:

I agree with Nick, and would say that the Vegas games have the best cover system of any game I’ve played. It’s a major contributor to their overall excellence, in fact.

24. daphne says:

I like it when geekily-anticipated games like DX3 are associated with potentially unsettling news pieces like this one. The amount of fidgety tension in the post and the comments are almost tangible because no one really knows what to make of it, and the apprehension of potential disappointment is similarly strong (though with the expectations around here I expect the game, even if excellent, will be judged to have disappointed in some way). More!

Though I admit, I can’t help but feel the same after the precedent set by Dragon Age 2.

25. reticulate says:

GIven their previous work, this might actually be a good thing. Especially if Eidos are keeping a tight handle on the process.

26. Navagon says:

Looks like it’s in safe hands to me.

27. mollemannen says:

well, dutch is better then german, any day of the week.

28. rei says:

Do I remember wrong, or was this supposed to be a PC game first and foremost back when it was announced? As in, it was only announced for the PC, and it took them a while to even say that it would come out on the consoles as well? Bit of a turnaround if so.

29. actionhp says:

Hmmm, i don’t think we can consider this as a port (http://twitter.com/#!/Jeffachoo/status/50718616559165440), its seems like the development was simultaneous and they got Nixxes for extra care on the PC release. I hope this is the case.

30. ChromeBallz says:

Demiurge did a pretty damn good job with Mass Effect. Better than Bioware themselves if you ask me with ME2 ;p

So it’s not always about the outsourcing…. Good decisions have to be made regardless of who’s involved.

31. DOLBYdigital says:

Either way between this news and the first level demo, I can’t see spending full price for this game unless the game is 20 hours long and the replay value is very high. Which the video showed very little replay value since guards were in the same spot. I know the video is just the first level so I’ll hold out a glimmer of hope but I’m one of those gaming pessimists that keep my expectations low :)

• gganate says:

Deus Ex is probably the only game I’ll pay full price for this year. My steam backlog is getting deep, and I think I’ll be able to hold off on Portal 2. But of course, we’ll see how the reviews are.

• MD says:

I’m not only going to wait for the reviews, I’m going to wait for the fan backlash. It’s almost inevitable that there will be one, so I’m not going to take its existence as proof that the game is shit, but there should be enough nuggets of truth in there to enable an informed decision.

• el_Chi says:

@MD: “I’m going to wait for the fan backlash. …there should be enough nuggets of truth in there to enable an informed decision.”

“…fan backlash…nuggets of truth…”
      No, I’m sorry, you’ve lost me. That doesn’t make sense, surely?

“fan backlash….informed decision.”
      Okay now I’m REALLY confused.

• Dominic White says:

Not long ago, I had someone explain to me at length exactly why they thought it was totally rational and sensible to declare Deus Ex 3 the worst thing ever made, and the developers to be traitors against gaming.. right up until they actually showed the game and changed his mind.

Crazy fans are awful.

• MD says:

But there was no risk of his ridiculousness influencing your opinion, because he was being transparently silly. I’m well aware that people overreact, jump to conclusions, word their complaints in ridiculous and offensive ways, etc., but all that is usually pretty overt. If you keep your eyes open, it’s not too hard to pick out the facts that might be relevant to your enjoyment of the game from all the other rubbish. I find that while crazy fans say crazy things, they will rarely flat-out lie on a point of fact, and even less often will they do so convincingly and/or get away without being corrected by others.

• MD says:

I should clarify that I’m not implying that reviewers are liars. Some I geniunely don’t trust, but more importantly, even a good reviewer with integrity is far more likely to overlook (/be lucky enough not to experience/experience but not care about) a game’s flaws (or elements that will negatively impact on my enjoyment of the game, which from my perspective amount to the same thing) than a legion of intense fans, thanks to deadlines/not being all that into the series in the first place/being only one person.

32. MD says:

As someone who is generally pessimistic about Deus Ex 3, I read this as good news. Nixxes seems to have a pretty decent track record, and while it would be awesome if the game was actually developed specifically for the PC in the first place, that was never on the cards.

33. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Part of me hopes it will be ok because if it isnt I will never, ever buy another game that isnt just coming out the on PC.

Part of me hopes it wont be ok because if it isnt I will never, ever buy another game that isnt just coming out the on PC.

34. phenom_x8 says:

Another dissapointment after Crysis 2 consolification like here http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/03/23/crysis_2_pretty_much_sucks_sloppy/ ?
    Almost all forum (mycrysis.com,incrysis.com) and a few review is talking about it.
    I hope thats not the case!

35. phenom_x8 says:

And dont forget to click the comment section on the link above, its hilarious with 32 page comment section!
    Oh,almost forgot! Still waiting for your honest review, RPS!
    I know that I can count on you whether to buy this game as soon as possible or wait for it in a bargain bin!

note : damn, where is my edit button ? It just not shown up!

36. Muzman says:

Here’s a pre-done memo to help Nixxes make the the job quicker and easier and please their corporate paymasters, and a lot of other people:

“We’ve hit a few snags. The PC is such an underperforming shambles of a platform there’s a few things we don’t think we’ll get to work before ship.
    We know you guys worked hard on it but we’re losing the takedowns. I know, I know. In fact we’re probably going to have to lose the third person camera entirely. It’s because the install base of controllers is too low and we just can’t get the thing to work well with mouse and keyboard (-insert more approriate BS as necessary-). Maybe with a few extra months (on top of the platform release stagger that is. Hoho, thanks for that btw). Cutting it out shaves about seven or eight man-months by my reckoning, in sorting the cover animation, debugging facial synch on characters ‘overheard’ in the next room et al.
    The other thing is Valve are apparently trying to trademark the colour orange on PC games. Apparently we’re using too much. -eyeroll- Yeah I don’t think it’ll work either. Thing is, Gabe is rich. I’ll forward the letter. They might just hold back ship until it gets heard by someone.
    One easy way to reduce the “Orange Quotient” is change the menu colour a bit and lose the highlights altogether. I know, I know.
    Look at it this way; at least all the A features are on the core platforms. We’re not going to move many on this dinosaur of thing anyway. Who the hell wants to play games at their desk?!”

Copy, paste, send, go on vacation. Y’all can thank me later.

37. pupsikaso says:

Who cares? No self-respecting PC gamer is even going to play this console game anyway.

• Optimaximal says:

It’s good to know there are level-headed, sensible people out there that are qualified to speak for me and every other PC gamer out there.

38. Kron says:

I’m fairly certain they’ll do a pretty good job of the PC port? Deus Ex was a PC game after all.

• MD says:

My sarcasm and naivety detectors are currently staging a brutal war over this comment.

• TheApologist says:

I might be wrong about the commenter’s original intent, but I think there is a logic to this.

It would seem silly to suggest that Eidos aren’t aware the PC audience is particularly important for this game. A good parallel might be the way that Bioware were aware in developing the first Dragon Age that the Baldur’s Gate heritage meant the PC audience would be important for sales of that game. And they were right. Therefore, we might figure that Eidos are unlikely to be skimping on making the PC version work well as a PC game.

Going by Dragon Age logic, of course, we can already start crying about Deus Ex 4 being dumbed down consolified rubbish.

• Hidden_7 says:

Deus Ex 3 was more than I was ever hoping for. If we get another good DX game I’m totally fine with the rest of the series being missable.

39. Radiant says:

They are good questions.

What’s interesting to me is that in one paragraph he talks about issues with the outsourcing being time and details.
    And then the quote above is him basically saying the opposite.
    From the same interview.

Whoever did that interview is a crafty fucker.

40. Red_Avatar says:

I’m surprised that people here forget one thing: all those ports are pretty much straight ports. Yes, they were solid and polished ports but except for minor alterations, they were virtually unchanged from their console part which leads me to question how good this studio is at actually making a game feel like a PC game besides just adding mouse & keyboard control. The examples given all still had a console feel to them even though I thoroughly enjoyed the Tomb Raider games – not to mention it’s their first FPS when all their other games were third person action games which are generally easier to port anyway.

I guess we’ll see how we’ll they’ll do with the PC game version.

41. wcaypahwat says:

They could have avoided all this worry by just saying “We hired another 20 programmers to work on the PC version.”

Technically, it wouldn’t be a lie.

• actionhp says:

Spot on comment, it’s somewhat impressive (at the same time expected) to see that shacknews interview tone completely changed by some people and websites, heh.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

No, that’d still make the PC version a second-class citizen, a port.

I don’t care who’s working on it. I do care what their priorities are and how that affects the style of the game.

• Hidden_7 says:

Technically I’d wager the PS3 version is a “port” too. In that the primary SKU is probably the 360, since that’s the big money maker, so the primary coding is done for that, then “ported” (an odd term when all the versions are coming out simultaneously) to the other systems, the PC and PS3. Of the two, only one of them has a whole other company hired to make sure things go well. Frankly, the idea that the PC would be the primary SKU/development platform for a big AAA multiplatform game these days is a bit of a dream. A nice dream, but just a dream. You’ll see it in Valve titles, and Crytek games (how did Crysis 2 shake out?) but that’s it. Frankly, this is the next best thing, and I’m more than willing to accept that.

• Joshua says:

Its not only technically not a lie. Its the bloody truth. They wanted a good PC version, and they hired some experts to make sure that was covered.

This is actually good news. Why does everyone take it negitavely?

• Red_Avatar says:

@Joshua Because it’s both bad and good news – they’re focssing on the console version, designing the game primarily for it. Any decent gamer will know what this entails: the PC version is not going to be wildly different. Unless you enjoy a console game with some decent mouse controls, then this is NOT a good thing. I don’t want just a console game with mouse controls – I want a game that feels like a PC game and I doubt that’s what we’ll be getting now. We’ll see of course … but I’m not hopeful.

Console games are notorious for placing stuff on eye level – making it easier to see things, easier to spot hidden entrances and stuff. Remember DXIW?

42. Tei says:

What will think about this the HardOCP forum?

43. Dhatz says:

best pic i can remember, had me laughing sinisterly.

44. heretic says:

what work do the pc-porting company actually do?

I mean certainly the game won’t be THAT different from the console version (they can just change the control scheme, job well done? though you don’t need a whole new company for that XD)

I imagine the port company just deals with optimisations for hardware specific stuff and maybe changing textures to higher resolution?

45. The Sombrero Kid says:

I think we need to face the fact we’re getting Oblivion & not Morrowind, we knew this a long time ago, if we’re honest with ourselves & we’ll still buy it if it reviews well generally, it’s just a shame is all.

• MD says:

What a sh… no, I won’t.

But if Deus Ex was Morrowind, and DX3 will be Oblivion, what was Invisible War? Or are you of the “pretend it never happened” school of coping with IW’s existence? :p

• The Sombrero Kid says:

I just meant that we’re getting a game designed for consoles with a shoehorned PC UI, I wasn’t drawing parallels between the elder scrolls series & the deus ex series, although i understand why you thought i was, the reason i picked oblivion is because it was a brilliant sequal to an even better game and/or series that was compromised ever so slightly on pc by it’s console ui.

• TheApologist says:

Genuine question – why should we be thinking this?

I’ve mainly seen genuine excitement from PC games writing about the previews – though I admit I have been in spoiler avoidance mode and haven’t read everything.

46. Quasar says:

I only came to this comments thread so I could read the bit where everyone said “what a shame.”

I am disappoint.

47. Eukatheude says:

Speaking of ME2′s port, am i the only one who still gets nightmares because of the mouse sensitivity?

• TheApologist says:

What, that mices were really ultrasenstive? Yeah, that happened to me, and it was horrible.

• obowersa says:

Tell me about it. I admit I probably shouldnt have taken the renegade option when he poured his heart out to me the death of his parents at the hands of Ser-Pounce-A-Lot, still, didnt expect him to burst into tears like that.

I felt rotten for the rest of the day, completely ruined the game for me.

48. MajorManiac says:

One thing that worries me when reading this is not the port, as the company doing it seem to have a solid history.

However if the PC version is a copy of a console version will it suffer from console limitations? One obvious limitation I’ve experienced with console ported games is when NPCs spawn into existance only a few meters away from the player. This could seriously hamper sniping and stealth recon over great distances.

Well now I’m looking forward to the review more than the game itself. I cannot wait to see what you guys make of it. Have you already decided who will review it? I’m hoping for Kieron.

• MD says:

Kieron “gave Invisible War a gushing review and 90-something score” Gillen?

(No, I will never forgive him for that! It was an entertaining read, though; just worse than useless as a buyer’s guide.)

• Red_Avatar says:

Yeah I remember arguing with Kieron, saying that he was crazy to give it that high a score. I was very disapointed because I expected such a big fan of the original series to at least SEE what made the original such a good game and what people wanted.

Small cramped locations, alternate paths that were so fake and spelled out (“well the door is looked but look there, two feet to the left, there’s a vent! How convenient!”), a story that was an utter disaster, the quest system that was totally broken (“yes I totally backstabbed you the last 12 time, but of course I’ll be 100% loyal now and yeah I know you completely trust me”) – not to mention that despite Deus Ex’s weakness being combat, DXIW managed to have worse combat – headshots no longer always took down someone even if they had no helmet, no proper stun prod, unified ammo, etc. The whole game was a disaster.

And seriously, I’m worried. I’m avoid previews as much as I can because they always end up giving you hope before dashing it but I wonder how many stupid mistakes they’ve made in this one.

49. Rond says:

Holy crap, and here I thought it has gone gold already.

Comment on this story