Hunted Exposes Co-op Combat Creativity

By Jim Rossignol on March 24th, 2011 at 2:10 pm.

Arrows aren't best against skeletons, right?
If you want to kill a minotaur then the best way seems to be to get a chum to help you electrocute it. I mean, that’s common knowledge, but the Hunted trailer makes plenty of such things plain in its latest co-operative combat update. This new video features sardonic muscle dude and wry slender elf woman as they make weak quips and work in tandem to cause blood effects to happen. It’s all rather jolly. High-five, handsome fantasy archetypes!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Teronfel says:

What is this thing?

2. Unaco says:

41 seconds in, that dude hits something with his mace, and it explodes. Explodes! Wow. I’m going to put that down to Magic or Voodoo.

Also, it mentions that they are capable of ‘unimaginable carnage’. Clearly, it’s not that unimaginable… because the developers were able to imagine it, and implement it into the game.

• Wilson says:

Actually, they’re just telling you that they are capable of unimaginable carnage. You never actually get to see them creating it. They choose not to :)

• skyturnedred says:

If you look closely, he hits him with his shield. Which must have some sort of explosives attached to the other side, and the shield conveniently protects him from the resulting explosion. It’s just science, no magic here.

• Rhin says:

Reactive armor is such an amazing concept. It usually goes on tanks and not personnel though.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Usually the personnel react and the armor is just along for the ride. Though perhaps it could incorporate those tee shirts you can press your hand against and make a colored print appear.

• Ci2e says:

lol lol lol lol

3. Scatterbrainpaul says:

“IN LIFE YOU’RE EITHER THE HUNTER OR THE HUNTED!!!!”

I doubt I fall into either category

• N'Al says:

That’s what YOU think.

I suggest you start running. Now.

• Calabi says:

But what if your hunting and not aware you are being hunted. And that hunter hunting you is being hunted himself and also that hunter, hunting the hunter that is hunting you is being hunted by another hunter.

But what if that hunter thats hunting the hunter thats hunting the other hunter is You!, what would you be?

• torchedEARTH says:

What if you are the Hunter and don’t realise it?

Join up with Smacky Boy and Range attack Ear Girl now!!!

4. Hoaxfish says:

They probably have the angriest sex ever

• Ryuuga says:

There needs to be more angry sex in games. Slaanesh & Khorne getting it on, that sort of thing.

• Davie says:

@Ryuuga–That would just be gallons of blood and hypersonic screeching though. You’d injure yourself just watching.

• Selifator says:

The Imperium does not approve of your heretical thoughts. Such things are beholden to the office parties of the Inquisition.

5. pakoito says:

This is my kind of game. But now imagine this kind of game without the leveling and the skill trees (keep the weapons and items for stats): you get everything right up from the beginning and as the Dark Lord gets awareness of your skills and threat to him he sends better and harder creatures to end your life. Level 1 you will start getting awareness killing some Orc patrols, but endgame your party will face a whole army that you with your PLAYER skills, have to endure. Also giant bosses with patterns, etc…

EDIT: Well, Magicka, right, but with Devil May Cry or Guild Wars 2 mechanics.

6. bleeters says:

Excellent. Now I just need one of those new-fangled things. What’re they called. ‘Friends’? I hear they’re very popular.

• Ragnar says:

I’m in the same boat. It’s surprising how hard they are to find sometimes.

7. MrHairyLives says:

Witty banter: check.
    Also: “I’m too old for this shit!”

8. paterah says:

LAN support hopefully?

9. Jumwa says:

So much cynicism!

But two-player co-op centric game? It’s made for my partner and I. Sign us up, forget everything else.

10. omicron1 says:

Does the music remind anyone else of Homeworld? Especially the part at 0:14…

11. Okami says:

Strangely I find myself in a situation where this is one of the games I’m most looking forward to. Though I really hope they include a split screen coop mode for the 360 version (which is the one I’m going to get in this case).

• Ragnar says:

They are, though it’s was a late addition. The game was developed for each person to be on their own gaming system, so I imagine it’ll be harder to see things in split-screen.

12. Narretz says:

Reminds me a bit of ye olde Enclave, which I enjoyed a lot.

13. Andrige says:

Finally a good looking title with a co-op campaign for PC.

14. bonjovi says:

trailer: not impressed
    game: darkstriders coop? but they didn’t mention any puzzles.

I guess I’m not the target audience.

damn, I wish I was 14 again :-)

15. suibhne says:

Every trailer I watch, my interest level goes down another few notches. The action looks generic and the dialogue reminds me of the bad fantasy novels I would compulsively read in 5th grade.

• godkingemperor says:

pretty much this. not to mention the unbelievably generic aesthetic design. even a bald space marine type fellow!

16. hamster says:

The game looks gear of wars-ie but the sexy (sounding) narrator really needs better lines. It’s like she’s all set up to say something real epic and then she sees the script. She tries her best anyway.

• Jumwa says:

Heh All true.

Despite that, dual-player co-op centric gameplay has me sold regardless of most all else.

17. Mashakosha says:

Remember seeing this at EG expo last year. Wasn’t impressed, but the more I see, the more interested I get. One of the guys there descrivbed it as “Gears of War, but fantasy” and I’m inclined to agree. That’s not exactly a bad thing though. Even if I wasn’t a fan of Gears. I think that’s mostly due to the setting and characters, rather than the gameplay. Anyway, I digress.
    It’s definitely looking good. Might get it if I can convince a friend to play through with me.

18. TariqOne says:

Lucy Lawless makes everything at least 2% better.

19. It's not me it's you says:

This couldn’t look more painfully generic if it tried. That said, 2 player coop means playing with the missus (and in the game!), which is always a good thing.

If this rocks up on Steam with a price tag that means buying 2 copies isn’t out of the question then it might just be worth a go!

20. Davie says:

Pretty interesting. I didn’t actually see a lot of cooperation in that trailer though, just a lot of smashy man smashes guy and shooty elf shoots different guy.

Still, looks fun.