Also: Pirates Of The Black Cove Revealed!

By Jim Rossignol on March 25th, 2011 at 1:54 pm.

I dunno who this dude is, but I like the seagull.
Please raise a foaming mug of pirate-clichés to a moderately bizarre trailer from Nitro Games (below), which introduces their “work in progress” look at Pirates Of The Black Cove. This Pirates! type adventure on the high seas genuinely looks like it could provided plenty of light-hearted fun. In this footage get to take a look at some of the city building, the gang battles, and of course the ships shooting each other. There are also Monster Trucks, for some reason. I actually saw the game a couple of weeks ago and it looks pretty promising – various quests making up a kind of multi-faceted Diablo-esque pirates world. It’s not been in development that long, but Nitro seemed to think it wouldn’t be that far off, either, and since the closed beta is in motion, I’d expect it within a couple of months. Go take a look at the footage!

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Anthile says:

I hope this is going to have coop multiplayer.

2. One Pigeon says:

I’ve been looking for a Pirates type game to rival the original since I don’t know when and this looks like it has enough potential along with enough of a change to make it different.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one

• Tuco says:

You should try Space Ragers 2.
      it’s *far better* than “any Sid Meier’s Pirates!”.

• One Pigeon says:

I’m sure it’s excellent and I’ll be sure to check it out.

Although having watched a few trailers there does seem to be a distinct lack of cutlasses and doubloons

• teko says:

@Tuco: Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like an interesting game. Good reviews too. Will check it out on steam.

3. skinlo says:

South African?

• BrendanJB says:

yeah i was trying to get it but it seemed like a blend of accents

swear i hear some kiwi in there

• Coillscath says:

Yeah almost like a South African emigrant who’s lived in New Zealand for a while.

• BobsLawnService says:

Definitely a saffer.

• Porkolt says:

It’s a PIRATE ACCENT. Sheesh.

4. Boxhell says:

I love how his accent is all over the place. Speak on you crazy-talking Finnish presenter guy.

• rivalin says:

Finn? If that’s a Finn then he is apparently trying to do an Afrikaans accent? Bizarre

• Henke says:

Sounded more like a Swede to me. And I’m a Finn, who has Swedish as his first language, so I should be an expert at this.

• Wulf says:

Sounded Swedish to me, too! And having spoken with him over Skype countless times, I’ve begun to recognise the accent, and one cannot hide their base accent easily. There was Swede all over that.

• Hoaxfish says:

Afrikaans is related to Dutch if I remember correctly, so it’s kinda the same ballpark

• Soon says:

Dutch isn’t Swedish, however. ;)
      Swedish has Norse roots and Dutch (and Afrikaans) has West Germanic roots. Not that it means that much as they both come from Germanic anyway… yeah.

• Boxhell says:

As a Finn, I’m fairly positive he’s also a Finn. The accent is spot on and at times his delivery is a remarkable Finnish monotone (“Man, look at those ships go”). Swedish English tends to sound softer and more melodic, to my ear at least.

• ElectroNugget says:

Well I was raised in South Africa and that sounded entirely like an Afrikaans accent to me. :) Caught me by surprise, hearing that accent in a game trailer.

• skyturnedred says:

Nitro Games is a Finnish developer, so it’s most likely a Finn talking. It’s the same studio that made East India Company.

• Angry Engy says:

What are you all talking about? That was obviously a Barnsley accent.

• skalpadda says:

Doesn’t sound Swedish at all, sounds like a Finn doing an American accent.

• MikoSquiz says:

I’m pretty sure it’s a Finn who speaks English fairly well but nevertheless as a second language, trying to do a General Piratey Sort of Accent, which is tough in the first place given that it’s an accent originally invented by one man blending Scottish and Irish and General Afro-Caribbean together in big soggy lumps while not actually fluent in any of those to begin with.

I wonder if they’re hiring. I’m fully Finnish-English bilingual, fairly local, and I can tell they could really use a proper sound-guy.

5. Vague-rant says:

Excited! I played the 2004 Pirates! a few weeks ago after that interview with paradox. I’d actually forgotten how much there was to do in that game.

Can anyone see wind directions in that footage? (I think that a compass has been cut out of one of the sections)

• Zenicetus says:

Wind direction seems to be indicated by the flags on top of the mainmast. And, unlike Pirates, they’re shown sailing directly upwind.

So that’s one more game studio, besides CA with Empire: Total War, that can’t even get the basics from Pirates! right. Ship combat is a hundred times more interesting when you actually have to pay attention to the wind.

• Lord Byte says:

This is Microsoft Auto-Correct: I’m sorry, did you mean “Ship combat is a hundred times more boring when you actually have to pay attention to the wind.”

In PVP I might agree where it can be a bit of an equaliser, but against the AI? Have you ever slogged after another ship for two hours just trying to catch it? It’s hell, the ships will probably slow quite a bit against the wind (why else would they have indicators), but too much is just not fun… Especially against the AI. Unless they include some time-forwarding thing, and then what was its use in the first place…

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t recall people saying that Pirates! wasn’t a fun game, because you had to deal with wind direction.

• Vinraith says:

Amen to that. I have no idea why most games want to turn ship-to-ship combat on the high seas into an arcade game when a little realism makes it vastly more entertaining. It’s like space games that neglect Newton’s Laws, there’s so much more fun to be had when things aren’t dumbed-down.

6. Stuart Walton says:

Looks like a Pirates!-Anno mashup. I am interested.

7. Sidorovich says:

Couldn’t someone just do a AAA Pirate game for once, instead of this low budget tosh? Just like Rockstar re-vitalised the cowboy videogame market with Red Dead, couldn’t they switch their attention to the high seas?

• Njordsk says:

I want viking games :(
      The only one we (and I mean consoles owner) have is viking battle for asgard, which is meh at max.
      This isn’t really related to your post or the news… but IT HAD TO BE SAID §

• Wulf says:

Oh please no. I happen to like this ‘low budget tosh’ much more than most of the utter tripe that mainstream studios put out these days, most of which tries so very hard to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it tries so hard to do so that mainstream is beginning to feel like mind rape of the lowest common denominator. They’re trying to figure out what has the broadest appeal, and just slapping that in, but it’s not working all that well. (See; Dragon Age II.)

With the independents, however, we have games that never need to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and that’s where I tend to find a lot of games. For example, these days, you’d never see something like CreaVures or Magicka coming out of the mainstream, it’s unimaginable. That level of creativity would be culled in favour of doing things which have a broad base of appeal. And personally? I thought Red Dead Redemption was dullsville, an utter snorefest.

So give me that ‘low budget tosh’ any day over the over-commercialised, under-intelligent trash that parades as mainstream these days.

• Wulf says:

@Njordsk

I’d be interested in a viking game. And again, this is why I’m annoyed at the mainstream. If you look at Skyrim, it’s supposed to be a nordic setting, but it doesn’t come across that way at all. In fact, it seems very much like your typical medieval England with semi-naked people thrown in who’re apparently nordic (honest guv!). From every little tidbit I’ve read of Skyrim thus far, there’s absolutely no inclusion of or respect for Nordic mythology present.

To be honest, How to Train Your Dragon was probably far more accurately viking than Skyrim, and that’s saying something. At least that had longships. The only hope we really have for seeing something that’s authentically nordic is from the indies, and perhaps if someone has the desire to create such a thing and sees a market for it (however niche), then it’ll happen.

• Njordsk says:

Hear hear.

i knew skyrim wouldn’t be vikingish just when I saw that half-naked dude in the snow (I mean really?) with horns on his helmet.

At least we’ll have some nordic (fantasy) landscape, swords and shields, which is enough to get me excited.

• Soon says:

I’m struggling to think of any games which do mythology, Norse or otherwise. It may be to do with people’s general unfamiliarity with it (which, arguably, is exactly why it should be done). Beyond the odd reference to the name of a God or two, or the most well known figures, we don’t seem to get much. Certainly not the actual stories behind them.

I considered myself to be quite knowledgeable on the subject. But recently realised how little I knew after many heavy reading sessions due to modelling robots to represent some mythological characters (no, really).

It’d be great to have Indie studios around the globe making a game based on their native myths and legends. Somebody should make that a competition.

• Jimbo says:

@Sidorvich

Disney’s POTC: Armada of the Damned looked ace… but they cancelled it and closed the studio :’(

• Zenicetus says:

@ Soon: There was Age of Mythology in 2002 with Greek, Egyptian, and Norse factions. I have it around here somewhere and played it for a while, but I can’t remember if it was any good or not. So I guess it wasn’t that great. It’s a theme that could use more attention, for sure. It would be nice to see something besides Tolkein/D&D archetypes in fantasy games.

This Pirate game may be better than it looks at first glance here, and I do like this genre. Hope it turns out well.

• Jimbo says:

Age of Mythology was awesome (and the expansion). Titan Quest was pretty good too.

• Soon says:

I remember an old adventure game, I think it was an early FMV adventure, following some Greek myths in a sort of edutainment-type way. Although, the most memorable thing was the speech when you tried something that didn’t work. “Nope!”, “Not that!”, “Try something else!, “Thaaaat?”.

Ooh, and there was Cosmology of Kyoto.

8. satsui says:

This looks pretty damn cool actually. It’s like an expanded version of Sid Meier’s Pirates!

9. The Dark One says:

That concept art is weird enough that I half-expected a Zeno Clash spinoff. Not that would have been a bad thing.

10. Valvarexart says:

Awesome trailer :P

11. Marcin says:

Wow, that actually looked pretty good. Semi-open (or maybe totally open?) pirate build’em up loot’em up? Yes please.

12. Wulf says:

This is looking a bit interesting. I dug the reboot of Pirates! and played it through a few times, getting irritated by blank map pieces every time. 8D But still, Pirates! was lots of fun, and this looks to be fun-ner, more fun, more fun-ner…. something. It looks entertaining to say the least, and I really hope that footage of random racing is actually a part of the game, because a pirate game with humour too? Oh yes please.

• Wulf says:

I’ll also take a moment to note that another great piratey game was released recently – Jolly Rover. It’s an utterly charming and amusing little thing. Not too long, but it really does things that shake up the point & click genre in ways that haven’t been touched since Sierra. And amazingly it’s nothing like Monkey Island, either.

• Moth Bones says:

I’ll echo that praise for Jolly Rover, it is a delightfully witty game.

Agree about the idea of a proper Viking game too. It does seem an odd omission – Vikings and Norse mythology in general have exercised a powerful hold over many people’s imaginations down the years. I’ve not played Baldur’s Gate – does that have a Norse-ish setting or is it just the title?

• Wulf says:

As incredibly unfortunate as it is, it’s just the title, and the setting is the same old medieval what-have-you as one might expect. I’d really love to see a viking RPG too, one where the developer pays close attention to their culture and mythology and puts all that into a game, making the mythology real, and then putting the player in an interesting place in the middle of all that.

13. cytokindness says:

The top pic reminds me of Zeno Clash.

14. RadioactiveMan says:

Man, Look at those ships go.

15. Commisar says:

this looks pretty interesting, I gotta keep an eye on it

16. Bats says:

I like the looks of it. I tried Pirates but it gave me a gigantic FU and wouldn’t run on my system for some bizarre reason and I couldn’t be arsed to try and fix it. I’ll give this one a shot when it hits. I’m growing quite fond of the games Paradox publishes.. well some of them. I am terrible at the hardcore strategy stuff and am leery of trying some of that. Nice sense of humor to this game tho.

17. Navagon says:

Are you sure the monster trucks bit wasn’t just edited into the video to troll people?

• skyturnedred says:

Or they simply thought “might as well start the hype on our other project too.”

• Wulf says:

I’m still hoping that it’s an impromptu part of the main game.

• Hematite says:

I have a funny feeling the monster trucks were a bit of random proof of concept for whatever engine the game uses. The art style isn’t the same, but I note a similarity between bouncy monster trucks and bouncy pirate buildings.

Anyhow, intrigued by the possibility of the sandbox world getting fed up with your depredations and sending a retaliatory fleet to burn down your hive of scum and villainy, a la Hinterland or Din’s Curse but with fewer indy rough edges. Could just be wishful thinking though.

18. Initialised says:

Pirates can’t play games in 3D Arrrrrrr

19. Rii says:

What happened to that other pirate game covered here recently? That was fun.

20. JuJuCam says:

If this is at all successful pirates could be next years zombies…

21. speedwaystar says:

“spare us your seaman,” indeed.

22. RegisteredUser says:

Grade A console graphics.