Weather Warcast: Elements Of War Gone Gold

By John Walker on March 25th, 2011 at 7:03 pm.

I knew the weather was up to something.

Elements Of War, which we briefly mentioned last year, has gone gold and gained a release date. April 12th in the States, and then silence. But still nothing so grown up as a website. Apparently wanting to know the relationship status of other games, however, it does have a Facebook page. (Come on folks, this isn’t professional.) The game sounds intriguing – it’s an RTS in which you wage war with weaponised weather. Or “WWWWW” as I call it.

Published by Kalypso, Elements also features conventional weapons alongside angry snow, or whatever it might be. It’s super-modern stuff, tanks, helicopters, and futuristic weapons including “powered exoskeletons”, which sound awesome. There’s even planes that throw lightning. This game sounds increasingly like it was designed by a seven year old boy with a box of crayons.

“There’s tanks and then there’s planes and then there’s helicopters and they all blow everything up and then the rain is evil and the planes throw lightning!”

All games should be designed this way. As you progress you’ll be able to, um, attack people with tornadoes and earthquakes. Erk – timing is everything, isn’t it? Their press release sets the scene:

“Set on Earth in the not-so-distant future, Elements of War focuses on a conflict for the survival of humanity that ensues after a secret military weather control experiment sets in motion a near-complete global climate collapse. Three factions battle on American soil for control of fearsome weather-based weapons, granting them the power to use tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, torrential rains and other forces of nature as weapons of war. Are you ready to wield the Elements of War?”

Well are you? Maybe this trailer will help you figure it out.

However, it has nothing to do with this:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MrWolf says:

This looks terrible and awesome in the same way that “Sucker Punch” does.

• McDan says:

I don’t think sucker punch looks in anyway terrible, apart from people who don’t like that kind of thing, which is understandable. This just looks brilliant.

• McDan says:

That’s true, the trailer doesn’t make it look particularly appealing, but it’s got just enough promise in there to suggest greater things, could have been done better. And that’s not such a bad thing about sucker punch then? Which just looks wholly awesome, and from reviews I’ve seen meant to be pretty darn excellent.

• Reapy says:

Saw it last night, was awesome, and the majority of readers here I think will like it I think. On rotten tomatoes 65% of the audience liked it. Who really cares what critic’s thought? I generally listen to reviewers for video games but for movies, not so much.

Sucker punch was like a combo of sin city and 300. Hot women, awesome action, crazy ass settings. Sure its predictable (what movie isnt?) but that isn’t the point. I’d leave this movie on in the background of my house whenever I have the tv idlely on.

I’d almost liken it to matrix revolutions, it wasn’t so great a movie by itself, but when the action starts I can’t look away.

2. Freud says:

It looks like they had a brainstorm session and decided to use everything.

3. Rowsdower says:

Forgive me but if I was in a vigilante group, tasked with facing down an oppressive, authoritative, weather-wielding, mechanized, rocket-shooting exoskeleton wearing American government, my tactics wouldn’t include standing in a straight line clad in biker/gay-bar leather, dukeing it out with them.

Maybe thats just me.

4. Sassenach says:

Back at the start of this video, when I thought there might be some narrative to it, there were two armies of American vehicles painted differently, one of which was using a great deal of violence on that town. I calculated they were simply economising on the number of models they had to create.

Then the camera pans over to the Russian Army and base with their own set of models.

I can only conclude that the force attacking the town concluded, at the time of the camera pan, that they had been holding the map upside down, and had managed to annihilate another contingent of their own forces in consequence, thinking ‘oh, so that’s a [i]church[/i]. I thought it was funny how it looked nothing like a command centre.’

5. Jimbo says:

“Three factions battle on American soil for control of fearsome weather-based weapons, granting them the power to use tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, torrential rains…”

… a stiff breeze, annoying sun glare, high pollen count…

6. Outsider says:

Hey, where’s our WWWWW tag?! How the hell do you expect us to find games where you wage war with weaponised weather? Thanks for nothing, RPS.

7. thecrius says:

Wow! That’s sounds great!!

Well are you? Maybe this trailer will help you figure it out.

What’s this shit?

8. Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

Spinning tree of death at the 3:00 min mark on first video haha

9. Caleb367 says:

planes that throw lightning = come on, i can’t be the only one who thought of an expansion pack for Red Alert 3. Tesla MIG = awesomeness.

10. Eidolon94 says:

Doesn’t look that bad. Not very good either, but it could be a decent game.

11. DarkFenix says:

Looks thoroughly boringly ordinary to me. It’s an ordinary cookie cutter modern day RTS, except they’ve put in tornadoes and such in place of nukes. Do they honestly want credit for that?

12. Lord_Mordja says:

Er they do have a website. It’s right here: http://www.elements-of-war.com/en/
    It’s a bit dodgy, parts of it are still in Russian. Also a beta maybe? I’ll check it out.

13. geerad says:

WWWWW? Is that anything like VVVVVV?

14. Tei says:

I think this look like World in Conflict, with awesome superweapons. But I dunno… WiC has superweapons, but are real superweapons, like nukes and such. Lets wait and see, maybe there are actual basebuilding in this one, or some interesting RTS idea.

They are very bad at selling his game. The video don’t even have a 720p mode, and the music feels like a 8kB loop. Cough.

• Thants says:

It doesn’t even have 480p!

• godwin says:

Yeah it gave me a World in Conflict vibe too, plus a bit of Generals, which might be a good thing. They did spend quite a bit of effort on their models and ingame assets it seems, but the trailer does a horrible job at showing them off. I’m mostly interested in the physics that seem present in this engine. Check out the spinning tree at 3:00.

15. nemo says:

AOM will always be my RTS/natural-disaster-sim of choice.

16. Lusit says:

I read the title and was confused for a couple seconds, as I thought that there was relation to Elemental: War of Magic.

17. DJ Phantoon says:

I dunno that anything will top overuse of the Chronosphere in C&C Red Alert, where a roving black hole appeared and shot lightning at things it passed nearby but not on top of.

18. Sulkdodds says:

That repetitive trailer music is INCREDIBLY reminiscent of Syphon Filter.

19. Rii says:

Why do games need websites? Most of them are terrible anyway.

…. and so are their websites. > >

20. Araxiel says:

But have you got tophats that shoot tanks? I really want one of those.

21. Araxiel says:

This game seems like a World in Conflict mod designed by a seven year old boy. The only thing it misses are guns that shoot guns.
    I mean, the elements are quite stupid. Every vehicle on this planet is lightning-proof (or whatever you call that). A car/tank does not explode when it gets hit by lightning. The lightning is just being directed into the ground. Also is the chance getting hit by a lightning incredibly slim. Thus a weapon shooting lightning is completly useless.

It just seems very bad and stupid and boring and very fiddly to play.

• Sheve says:

I think you missed the part of the article that said:

“here’s even planes that throw lightning. This game sounds increasingly like it was designed by a seven year old boy with a box of crayons.

All games should be designed this way.”

The fact that it appeals to the seven year old in all of us is what makes if fun. Yes, lightning is a horrible idea for a weapon. So are lightsabers. That doesn’t mean they can’t be fun with a little willing suspension of disbelief.

Comment on this story