PC Getting Some Resident Evil This Winter

By Quintin Smith on March 28th, 2011 at 5:27 pm.

Give the evil an eviction notice already.

Have you heard of a game called Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City? Me either. But Capcom have announced that it’ll be launching on PCs as well as console-toys this Winter, so let’s take a look.

Firstly, though- let’s say your love of Resident Evil was eroded by Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 5 or either the Resident Evil movie or any of its three (THREE) sequels. Not a problem! Because Operation Raccoon City sounds less like Resident Evil and more like a 3rd person Left 4 Dead, with your deeply human four man team replaced by an equal number of leathery freaks. First images and details below.

Developers Slant Six (whose previous word extends to a handful of Socom games) described the game to Official Xbox 360 as “a true third person team based shooter experience”, where a team of up to 4 players will take on the role of members of the security force of Umbrella Pharmaceutical Inc., the megacorporation behind the original zombie outbreak, to do battle with zombies, bio-weapons, survivors and any agents the US government sends into the disaster zone, with all the action taking place at the same time as Resident Evil 2 and 3. “Three way combat” in “iconic locations” will provide a “unique gaming experience”, says the press report.

I could start poking fun at this point, but you know what? If Slant Six are reinterpreting Left 4 Dead with the slower, more tactical combat of Socom, that could be incredible. No screenshots just yet, but VG24/7′s assembled some magazine covers with some character design. Fingers crossed these four figures are the four members of your team. They look like an excellent bunch of psychos.

, .

1. Lightbulb says:

First one was a good film!

Fourth one… was an ok film. A bit ott for my liking but no worse than many an action film…

• Nick says:

First one was an OK film, all others were offensively bad trash. Hell the fourth one was only about 30 minutes long if you turned all the slow mo into real time!

• l1ddl3monkey says:

@ Nick: Ditto The 300. That method would have cut an hour off the Watchmen as well.

• Jason Moyer says:

The films were all pretty bad, but it’s hard to hate something with Milla in it.

• Nick says:

300 was a bit shit too, as for Watchmen, eh, there wasn’t nearly as much as in Resident Evil 4, its even worse with the 3D thing too, its lke the entire film is slow mo things being thrown at the camera.

• Dawngreeter says:

Back when I was a kid, my mother used to comment about action movies being really short once you take out all the fighting, which she didn’t like to watch. Maybe I should inform her that there is now a wide consensus on her criteria being correct. Who knew my mother was so ahead of her time.

• Ian says:

First one: Decent film but a slightly rubbish actual adaptation. The rest of ‘em: Bilge.

• Grey_Ghost says:

I never played the fist 2 Resident Evil games, only half of RE3 and all of RE5. So I was never biased towards the source material. So to me the first Resident Evil movie was FRELLING FANTASTIC!

However the sequels got ever so increasingly crappy by trying to shoehorn stuff from the game into them. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when suddenly the baddies from RE5 showed up in that last awful movie.

They should have stuck with the alternate yet somewhat similar story the first one had going, instead of forcing in characters & ideas that didn’t work well with it at all in the sequels.

2. Navagon says:

They look like the weird Nazis from Raven’s Wolfenstein mixed in with a bit of Stalker.

• Mattressi says:

Yeah, if it wasn’t for the umbrella logo on the figure in the last picture, I’d have thought they’d mixed up the pictures and put one from Stalker up.

3. DeepSleeper says:

Unless I can unlock the ability to play as a giant block of tofu, no sale.

(Although… IS that second guy down Hunk? Does anyone know what I’m talking about?)

KindredPhantom says:

Yes (i know what you are talking about), but Hunk was just some generic Umbrella special ops goon and only as I recall a bonus character, so I find it unlikely it is him.

• DeepSleeper says:

But this is Resident Evil, the series where every vaguely heroic character comes back for at least a cameo appearance, as long as your name isn’t Sherry Birkin.
      I have faith that he’ll at least be unlockable.

• Nick says:

I think Hunk was quite popular actually and appears in a couple of the games as a bonus character as well as being mentioned in others.

• Teddy Leach says:

Hunk had his own section in the Umbrella Chronicles on the wii, which showed how he got out of the city. Unless they retcon that game (which seems pretty unlikely, given that it serves to flesh out the series), that’s not him. I’m counting on him being unlockable though.

4. subedii says:

OK, the first two guys I can sort of visualise as some kind of crack black ops mercenaries group, if a little on the “S.T.A.L.K.E.R.” side of things.

The third? She looks like she wandered in off the set of Silent Hill by way of a Goth clothing store.

5. Dominic White says:

If your love of Resident Evil was at all eroded by RE5, you clearly didn’t play it with a friend, because it’s probably the tightest pure co-op experience out there, with Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light coming in a close second place.

• Outsider says:

Agreed entirely on both accounts, Dominic. RE5 and Lara Croft GOL are fantastic games with a real, enjoyable focus on co-op.

• pkt-zer0 says:

“If your love of Resident Evil was at all eroded by RE5, you clearly didn’t play it with a friend”

You’re clearly wrong, then. The game’s less infuriating without an idiotic AI partner, but it’s still nothing to write home about.

• Teddy Leach says:

I disliked the ending. So much so that it never happened in my own private world.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Did we play the same game?

Because Resident Evil 4 was really good. I can go back to it and enjoy it. Resident Evil 5, however, was too hamfisted and a little too arcadey.

And getting rid of inventory tetris is never a plus in my book, ever.

• Nick says:

I didn’t dislike Resident Evil 5, but I prefered 4 and 1 (especially remake).

• JackShandy says:

Played it with a friend who hasn’t already played it, that is. Unlocking extra’s turns the game into a farce. I only played it with a guy who’d unlocked the giant minigun, which makes the co-op combat more a like cutting grass.

6. Gonefornow says:

I have always wondered why there aren’t more games where you play as a faceless, nameless goon.
    It’s a great idea.
    No need for elaborate stories or characters, backdrop will suffice.
    When the player dies he/she just takes control of a new thug waiting in line.
    The pictures remind me of stalker and Killing floor, but those games didn’t grasp the ideas stated above.
    Maybe, just maybe, this one will.

Edit:
    The opposition in Fear also springs into mind.

• DeepSleeper says:

Also by Capcom, check out Lost Planet 2, where you don’t so much play a character as you play a walking pile of equipment with some armor underneath it.

• Gonefornow says:

@DeepSleeper
      Oh yes, I remember those guys prancing around with them ridiculous looking backpacks and masks of theirs.
      Good catch, sir.

7. lethu says:

More games to poo on! My buttocks are already rejoicing, sweeeeet <3

8. Astalano says:

I hope this is at least as good as RE5 PC version.

• Drakon says:

Irony detected.

I hope.

That, or you’ve got some low standards.

• Olivaw says:

RE5′s port was great! It ran great, looked great, had all the options you wanted, and had very nice mouse aiming.

It’s only real flaw was that it used Games for Windows Live, which I know is a cardinal sin, but it didn’t stop me from playing that game to completion and unlocking the minigun.

• Outsider says:

That, or you’ve got some low standards.

I would say he has different standards. You apparently value something different than RE5 offered, no need to be insulting about it. I also liked the game very much.

9. Hoaxfish says:

Racoons you say?

• PickyBugger says:

Upboats for you. Oh wait…

I have nothing but stunningly low expectations for this game. It’s sad how RE moved from an interestingly scary experience to a dull frustration fest.

• TheTingler says:

You win the internet.

stahlwerk says:

Where exactly is the residence of this evil?

11. Dyst says:

I read that as “ironic” locations and imagined zombies running around in skinny jeans with lensless glasses.

It sounds alright. I’ve never been a fan of Resident Evil but I liked SOCOM and I like the Left 4 Dead style of gameplay, so I’m pretty neutral on this. Would very much like to see a much more story driven experience than Left 4 Dead though.

12. ran93r says:

Sounds like RE: Outbreak to me, which was rubbish.

• Dominic White says:

Only in Europe, where Capcoms European wing saw fit to completely remove all multiplayer aspects from what was designed to be an online multiplayer game from the ground up.

The Japanese and US versions had online play, but the EU version had it all stripped out.

• DJ Phantoon says:

To be fair, it was quite hard to find a game of it at the time, and harder still to play with a decent group.

• malkav11 says:

Since all versions of the game were on PS2, describing any of them as having online play is true only in the most technical of senses.

13. brulleks says:

Resident Evil 5 is the only game I have ever uninstalled within an hour of installing.

Any game that strips you of the ability to move while firing a gun, adds an inventory system that takes over three clicks to get to the ‘restore health’ option but doesn’t pause the action, then places you in tiny, tiny rooms that rapidly fill up with enemies that respawn from nowhere, with a viewpoint that is almost entirely taken up by your own character’s back and a partner you can’t even see but are expected to work with is the Very Definition of Bad Game Design.

oceanclub says:

The problem is, at some point along the line, the “survival horror” genre seemed to turn into “deliberately retrograde UI choices in order to hamper player and so thereby create artificial tension”.

P.

• Dominic White says:

When you give player complete freedom of action, scaring them is almost impossible. FEAR was basically Die Hard with random ‘ghost jumps out at you’ bits, and while Penumbra and Amnesia worked well, they did so by basically rendering you nearly-useless (or completely incapable) combat-wise.

Hands up if anyone here felt the slightest bit frightened in either Left 4 Dead game. Anyone?

The fact that this game sounds like the least scary thing ever (a team of evil combat-suited uberbadasses sent in to kill shit and make money? yeah, I’m really worried about them) highlights this further.

• Jetsetlemming says:

When 2+ guys are incapped and a tank’s out, especially in a map with poor visibility like Hard Rain, shit gets tense.
      More importantly, there are other games that both have player freedom and power, and yet are very scary. See: Afraid of Monsters: Director’s Cut, which gives you pistols, shotguns, smgs, revolvers, and multiple kinda of melee weapons, and yet is still terrifying.

And it’s not like RE5 was scary either, although I liked it a lot.

Hidden_7 says:

The issue is that people (rightly) understand that fear needs a lack of control/power but then get confused about who should be lacking it. Ideally it’s the character, not the player. Intentionally bad interfaces like those found in the RE games or Dead Space don’t work for me because I’m not, as the character panickedly trying to do something, I’m as the player wrestling with bad controls. It reminds me that it’s a game, and a frustrating one at that. Good horror games, ones that work for me, have solid, easy to use control schemes, but limit the power/control of the character I’m controlling, and now more attached to because I’m not wrestling with the control scheme. Games like the Thief games, System Shock 2, Amnesia, all have straightforward WASD with mouse look and no exceptional restriction of interaction, but your characters are either not fighters, or outmatched by a mysterious, menacing, malevolent environment. That’s the way to do it, in my opinion.

Basicially if I ever find my character unable to do a simple thing I can do, like step sideways, or look around while walking, I’m frustrated not scared.

• Thants says:

What? Dead Space doesn’t have an intentionally bad interface. Actually, I’d say it’s a good example of making the player powerful and still being scary.

• myca77 says:

I too never liked Resi 5, just a badly designed game IMHO, the funny thing is I loved Dead Space and Resi 4 (Wii Edition).

In Resi 5 having your character move like a tank was awful, at least in Dead Space the slightly clunky movement of the character felt right as he was in a big fuck off space suit thing. The same with not being able to aim whilst moving, in Dead space your movement slowed down when you aimed and moved, a kind of iron sights in third person, but I think this worked in the context of the game too. I still think that Resi 4 on the Wii is one of the best Resi games (maybe the gamecube remake of 1 is the best), it actually utilised the Wiis controls to enhance the game and improve on the Gamecube and PS2 versions.

The original Resi games had tension and atmosphere due to the technical limitations of the system they were originally designed for, the static camera and clunky movement really worked to add tension, just like the limited ammo and health. They may have had some silly puzzles and bad dialog, but they still stand out as classics as far as I’m concerned. Resi 5 felt to me like a third person shooter in the vein of Gears of War, but to get the tension of the originals it feels as though they intentionally went back 5-10 years on the UI and gameplay mechanics, and the less said about the AI of your partner when playing it on your own the better; handling the terrible inventory of your own character was one thing, but being forced to handle your partners too was awful as she was just stupid and would use all the stuff you’d want to save for later encounters, it all became a nause.

Resident Evil 5: Nope sir, I didn’t like it.

• DOLBYdigital says:

Completely agree myca77,
      I also thought RE4 wii edition was my favorite due to RE4 being great and the wiimote controls working very well with the game. RE5 was really bad although I wasn’t able to play with another person. I have to admit that just hearing L4D and RE in the same sentence does get my attention. A more tactical and story driven L4D with multiple groups of enemies would be very welcomed by me. So here’s to hoping that they do something with this idea, also glad to hear about PC support so early in the game. Usually hear denials and then maybes and then 2 months after it releases a PC confirmation.

14. Kevin says:

Any game that channels STALKER is a winner in my book. I’m digging the new character designs (as opposed to the squeaky clean aesthetic of RE characters of late).

• DJ Phantoon says:

Don’t like the first guy’s goggles- they’re really weird to me, and therefore distracting.

15. Phyla says:

Slant Six only developed ports and just-above-avarage extensions of the SOCOM series, as far as I know. Still, some of those games had the flavour of the first two games from the series, which were excellent squad-based tactical shooters and had some great multiplayer parts. Slant Six never developed for the PC before, but if they do add some SOCOM ingredients to the mix, you can colour me interested.

16. Olivaw says:

FACT.

You just have to realize going in that it is a game, and it is structured as such, and has certain rules. It is not meant to be a simulation of reality of any kind, and is not meant to immerse the player in anything. Not being able to reload or fire while moving is a perfectly valid design choice if what you are trying to do is make an unabashed video game!

I have lost so many hours to the Mercenaries mode in RE5 when I barely even touched the mode in RE4. It is fantastic.

• Nick says:

Personally I think the resi 4 incarnation was superior, better level layouts and I prefered the characters (although some were pretty similar).

• brulleks says:

“Resident Evil 5 was a good action game with a great PC port despite it’s awful use of Games for Windows Live.

SUBJECTIVE VIEWPOINT.”

Fixed.

• Thants says:

I don’t think people are saying that it’s bad because it’s unrealistic but because it’s annoying and unnecessarily hampering the player.

17. Ravenger says:

Bother this – I want a PC version of the RE4 HD remake they announced for consoles the other day. RE4 in the RE5 engine with RE5 controls, yes please!

• Nick says:

Why not just get Resi 4 on the PC and use the mods?

• subedii says:

Man, I’m one of those people who actually did get RE4 on the PC and mod it up. And whilst it looked really good (and props to the mod community for turning around what was probably one of the worst ports I’ve ever seen), it’s still a fairly lengthy process and not really something I’d expect anyone to have to do.

One of the big tempting factors for RE5 on the PC was simply the fact that it was a decent port, and that I wouldn’t have to spend ages modding it up to “playable” level. And RE4 WAS unplayable in its native state, between the bad visuals and even missing the proper QTE prompts. Ultimately I didn’t buy it because from all I heard, RE5 wasn’t as good as RE4.

• Dominic White says:

RE5 is just different to RE4. It’s designed to be a buddy action game. Everything about it is designed with two players in mind. Half the setpieces in the game require you to tag-team through complex actions, one player covering while the other advances.

A lot of people played it solo only, discovered that a bot generally isn’t as accommodating as a real human being, and declared it bad. Those people are dumb.

• Nick says:

No, they aren’t dumb.

• malkav11 says:

The mods didn’t fix the controls for RE4 adequately, and thus the game was unplayable. Also, it was the worst PC port I have ever encountered in my entire life.

• Dominic White says:

Playing a game specifically designed for multiplayer in singleplayer and declaring it broken IS very much dumb. You don’t see any reviews marking down Battlefield games for their weak solo offerings, do you?

• DeepSleeper says:

If they have weak solo offerings, they should be marked down for them.

If a game presents an option, that option should be well done. If a game has a single player option, I’m going to play it, and if it’s poorly designed, or too difficult, or too easy, I will point my opinion out. Resident Evil 5 is kind of a mess when played single player.

It may be a very good co-op game, but I don’t care. The judgement that it’s a good co-op game can be pointed out, sure, and it matters to people looking for co-op games. But “This is a good co-op game” doesn’t mean a damn thing when I’m trying to play it single player, and it -shouldn’t have to-.

18. CoyoteTheClever says:

Wait, what, you fight -against- the US government? You mean, there are marines in this game and you aren’t being forced to play as them? This must be a video game first.

19. Dances to Podcasts says:

Gas masks. Because animating faces is hard.

• HeavyHarris says:

Or, you know, because there are various gases these guys’d rather not breath in =D

20. Camerooni says:

My dream resident evil game would be pretty much Just Cause 2 with a Zombie outbreak in an eastern European country. An overall guiding mission, maybe some focused ‘levels’ within particular buildings ala arkham asylum an some super monsters running around an other open streaming world gone wrong..
    Make it actually feel like there is some survival happening – and hell they can even keep their ‘it’s a goat with an axe in it’s head’ focus text..

21. Overlai says:

Except that the second figure and the fourth figure are the same guy…

22. dethtoll says:

Oh shit. I’m all over this.

23. Ian says:

What was wrong with Resi Zero? :(

I quite liked it. Just don’t EVER let Rebecca do any fighting. “A zombie looked at me! I am wounded!” *expires*

Meanwhile you’d have Billy getting maimed in the face and asking for more. Did Billy ever turn up again in the games?

24. TheTingler says:

To be fair to Capcom Quentin, the game was only announced, like, today. I’m in that case not surprised that we haven’t heard of it before now.

25. Zogtee says:

“A true third person team based shooter experience”.

As opposed to what? A fake one?