Did He Fall Or Was He Trip? (Part Two!)

By Jim Rossignol on March 29th, 2011 at 5:18 pm.

Hello!
You might recollect that back, way back, in the mists of of the mid-Naughties, former Electronic Arts founder Trip Hawkins (a legend of the industry, in no small measure) got into some trouble over tax stuff related to his time at that company. He’s attempted to make it all go away by filing personal bankruptcy, but Forbes reports that this hasn’t worked:

In a stinging 16-page opinion this week, US. District Judge Jeffrey S. White upheld an earlier bankruptcy-court ruling, saying Hawkins knew he was insolvent after the Internal Revenue Service disallowed his tax shelters but “continued to spend money extravagantly with knowledge of his tax liabilities” to the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board. “Hawkins planned to defeat his taxes via bankruptcy and continue living the lifestyle to which he had grown accustomed,” the judge declared. Cited evidence included purchase of a $70,000 car–the fourth vehicle in a two-driver household.

Oops. [I actually only ran this story so we could use that headline again. Sorry.]

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. godgoo says:

‘and there was a man born of pure evil, and he gave birth to a child, that child was called ‘EA’… weird name right?’

2. Navagon says:

Spending like you’re Snoop Dogg while you’re filing for bankruptcy is seldom the best way to avoid the arsehole enlargement services available within the Californian State prison system.

• treat says:

The champagne glasses in California’s white-collar prisons are made from STAINLESS STEEL? Can you believe that?! Some nerve…

3. MiniMatt says:

Four cars in a two driver household? I’m sure all of us can beat that – count how many computer monitors you have kicking around (including all those CRTs you plonk in the garage in the misguided hope the monitor fairy will take them away). In the middle of moving house we’ve so far binned no fewer than fourteen of the things for a two computer-driver household.

In other news – pedant mode on – how can you be a former founder? (sorry, sorry)

• gorgol says:

Good point. I was gonna ask that myself :P

• Vague-rant says:

Now that you mention it, I have at least 3 CRTs knocking about. Anyone know anything good to do with them? I’d prefer not to simply throw it away, some charity/recycling/instructable thing perhaps?

Also; Former founders: Found it, then lost it again (it makes sense if you pretend it does)

• MiniMatt says:

soz for the off topic – but our local tip (and I’m pretty sure all of them now) recycle them. Quite what they recycle a skip full of them into I know not. Probably robots. Which is cool.

• drewski says:

Most local councils will have some sort of e-waste recycling facility available, though you may have to pay a fee.

• Xercies says:

I’m also sure some of those charities that give computers to Africa might want them, to give to African people…

4. Nighthood says:

No Staring Eyes tag? Shame on you.

• Hoaxfish says:

I’m slightly more confused by the apparent light behind him that is apparently illuminating his lower back area.

• MiniMatt says:

The light behind him is clearly background radiation given off by the invisibility matrix surrouding the invisible box he carries with him everywhere – http://spong.com/people/9351/Trip-Hawkins

• rei says:

I didn’t read the story yet, I just scrolled down to see if other people are as stunned by this omission as I am.

• Dozer says:

Obviously, the sun shines out of his arse.

5. DevilSShadoW says:

that’s some trippy news

6. Unaco says:

Shame. The guy was something of a pioneer (early ’80s Apple, EA, 3DO). For him to be remembered just for this doesn’t really do him justice.

• benjaminlobato says:

No way. This absolutely does do him justice. The rest of us have to pay taxes, and just because he is video game pioneer doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have to as well.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Dear Pioneers

Please don’t do bad things, we want to be able to remember you for your achievements alone.

Love
      The World.

7. Rinox says:

Sad to see, but also pretty damning to be spending money on ludicrous things like a 4th expensive car when you’re filing for bankrupcy. I guess it’s hard for us ‘norms’ to imagine the sense of entitlement/skewed reality view you get from being rich and succesful.

As a norm however, I think it is disgusting. (This is said knowing full well that I myself may (will?) spend money on outrageous things if I were to be rich one day)

8. G_Man_007 says:

Surely that’s Doctor Doom in the picture for the article…?

9. Spectre-7 says:

I used to work at 3DO once upon a time, and have met Trip. Reading reports of his struggles made me belly laugh for hours this morning, after which I took a small break for coffee, and then laughed some more.

Edit: And in case you’re wondering… It’s not just the photographs. He really does look like a Bond villain.

10. FecesOfDeath says:

Trip Hawkins: the Wesley Snipes of the game industry.

11. drewski says:

Naughty Naughty Mr. Hawky,

12. Humppakummitus says:

Ah, mister Hawkins, the Bobby Kotick of the 90s. Maybe this is karma for destroying Origin with bogus lawsuits?

13. Delixe says:

Couldn’t happen to a nicer fella. Seriously, when you buy a game and it turns out to be a buggy unfinished mess then you’ve been Hawkind. Get it done and get it on the shelves we can always patch it later – The Hawkins’ family motto.

14. WJonathan says:

I have a snappy comment all ready, but unfortunately my unibrow alarms are blaring and it’s like a ten-minute reset process.