All Of The Lights: Vice City In GTA IV

By Alec Meer on March 29th, 2011 at 11:53 am.

Pink pink sunshine! Er, moonlight.

Let’s face it – the next GTA game, rumours of which currently have consoleland all a-flutter, ever arriving on PC is pretty unlikely. Red Dead Redemption never made it this way (something I rue enormously), there’s no news of LA Noire doing it either, and Rockstar probably weren’t super-happy about the scathing reaction to the belated, bloatware-afflicted PC version of GTA IV. Bah. Bah, I said.

Still, we can at least have things the console fun-toys cannot: such as the series’ neon-lit finest hour, Vice City, recreated in the rather meatier GTA IV engine.

Here is one of two projects, Vice City Rage. Early doors, obviously, but seems to involve more in the way of directly carrying over original assets:

Rival project Vice IV seems to be more about relocating GTA IV to the 80s, and has this very strange video full of floating people to show for it. Useful in-game footage starts about eight and a half minutes in – I’d skip straight to that if I were you.

Both projects are thanks to the OpenIV mod tools. I do like a bit of Vice City, so earnestly hope one or both of these bold mods make it all the way.

Via Reddit and Kotaku.

, , , .

1. Nallen says:

I accidentally allowed myself to be excited.

I am disappoint.

2. SquareWheel says:

I remember when San Andreas was in progress and they were promising great modding support. I thought Rockstar were really going to focus on PC games in the future and disregard consoles. Suppose not.

Still, Blizzard and Valve seem to know where it’s at at least.

• Wulf says:

Despite my dislike for their recent game catalogue, I’d also give Bethesda props in this regard, too. Their games tend to be so open-ended that people can (and have) even create their own games with them based on Gamebryo and in-game resources.

• Bhazor says:

You know that GTA IV PC included extensive graphical improvements, a brand new video editing subprogam, 32 man multiplayer (doubled from 16 on console) and an extensive mod community. Lazy, huh? Of course all thats forgotten compared to the social club. The entirely optional social club. The social club that essentially worked the same as every other multiplayer client. The social club filled with full length machinima movies and 32 player GTA fun. A social club that lead to many thousands of pirates boasting at length on how to hack torrented games. On Rockstar’s own website.

Oh. Well. Sucks to be them huh?

Funny how Starcraft 2 got away with including the amazingly bloated Battlenet 2.0 (which is essential even for single player) with almost no controversy. Funny how Alec felt the need to write a lengthy article about the launch problems (problems common to every single online community program) but didn’t even mention the problems in the Battlenet launch http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=22532. Funny I’m not surprised Rockstar would just walk away from all this.

I know I would.

• Nick says:

Thats a funny version of history you have there Bhazor.

• battles_atlas says:

The Social Club wasn’t ‘optional’ in the sense that you didn’t have to sign into the thing every time you wanted to play, which along with the enormously crap GFWL sign-in made launching GTA IV the least pleasureable aspect of PC gaming I think I’ve ever come across.

Great game, but shit port.

• DrGonzo says:

I’m actually with Bhazor on this one. The game runs like shit on 360 and PS3. It wasn’t a shit port as such, the game runs like a dog on all systems. The PC version is easily the superior one.

PC elitism gone mad I say!

• edit says:

Problems or not (and I’ve posted many times about my awful, awful experiences with GFWL) I was grateful for the PC version. I bought it on launch, on steam, and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of my favorite games. Later patches (when the expansions came out) were a big improvement and the expansions themselves were great. Despite a general lack of modding support I’ve still mucked around with files and had a lot of fun in that realm too. I’ve only ever had good things to say about GTAIV.

And so, I’ve been assuming… holding out hope… that RDR will eventually make its way to PC as well. I don’t care when it comes out. I don’t care if it takes a few patches to smooth out problems. I’ll even (uh, maybe) endure GFWL for it (PLEASE, Rockstar, DITCH GFWL, PLEASE), but if Rockstar walk away from the PC all together, after I’ve bought every single god damn one of their PC games on release day, my loyalty is going right out the window.

• Bhazor says:

Reply to Battles_Atlas

“The Social Club wasn’t ‘optional’ in the sense that you didn’t have to sign into the thing every time you wanted to play,”
      I honestly have no idea what that means. I assume you mean that you had to sign in everytime. Which is wrong and it could be happily skipped for single player. It was only ever essential for multiplayer which makes it the same as Gamespy, or Battlenet or Reliconline or anyother online client.

“Besides, you’ve kind of neglected the actual problem with the game, which is that on release it was broken, and even now it runs like an absolute dog.”
      I’m playing it now on a computer that was midrange two years ago and despite long load times it runs perfectly well and it’s crashed once in about 15 hours. Most issues people did have were patched out within two weeks.

Also GFWL starts up far faster than Steam ever has.
      Steam- Open Steam> Load> Select game> Load> Request Access> Load> Recieve permission (most of the time)> Load Game
      GFWL- Load game from desktop> GFWL has loaded by the time you reach the title menu.

• Shadram says:

You do know that you can get Steam to drop quick start icons for your games on your desktop, right? I only ever open the Steam client when I want to buy something…

drewski says:

@ Shadram – you may only specifically and deliberately go into the Steam client when you want to buy something, but the client itself still runs in the background every time you run a game – even from the shortcut – that requires it.

Given GFWL has an optional persistent login, there really isn’t any difference.

• Ushao says:

Even without dropping icons on the desktop a right click on the Steam quickstart icon on my taskbar gives me recently played and pinned games. Right now I can launch any of 15 games with a simple right click then left click.

• malkav11 says:

I’m pretty sure Social Club was mandatory and then got patched to be unmandatory, but I may be misremembering. The game runs beautifully these days, though.

• drcancerman says:

@Bhazor:

You forgot to mention that it was an @$$ to mod GTAIV. it took longer than usual to mod it, because it required the community to develop tools to be able to disable GFWL first. GFWL wouldn’t allow modding, and not only that, to actually mod GTAIV, is more complicated than the mod friendly games.

Are you familiar with mod friendly games? Because GTAIV is not mod friendly, so much so that they’ve released patches to disallow modding, I remember reading in GTAIV forums how people got angry with it. Are you familiar with Oblivion? Fallout 3 series? Flight Simulator, to Strike Fighters, to rfactor? They don’t require especial programs developed by the community to hack the database, to put something inside some file. In most of the cases, its just a drag and drop thing, like rfactor, FSX and Strike fighters. they dont need to replace any car or plane already existing in those games/simulators, the program reads it automatically.

So, no GTAIV is not very mod friendly, compared to what we already have in the market.

Increasing details and adding more players in multiplayer is just the standard in games(though most fail to do it these days now) the only thing that can be used to brag that Rockstar(Actually another company did this not rockstar) added was the video editor tool… otherwise… This was a shoddy port from the start. I’m not saying that GTAIV is a bad game, it is a benchmark in originality and gameplay, but it is a shoddyport nonetheless.

3. Skull says:

The music is Vice City was in fact, the best soundtrack for any game ever. I feel like installing it again just so I can run over prostitutes listening to Billie Jean.

tomeoftom says:

And how good was that first trailer in showing that they were going to handle it with taste? But anyway, you’re wrong! JSRF Is The Best, So Fresh.

• kikito says:

And Fernando Martinez is Jesus Christ made DJ. With sunglasses, a shotgun and a Harley Davidson.

• somini says:

I agree with tomeoftom.
      NOTHING beats Jet Set Radio Future, in terms of soundtrack. It’s perfect!

• DrGonzo says:

But JSRF had an awful soundtrack that was fun because it was possibly the worst soundtrack ever made. Vice City has a genuinely brilliant soundtrack.

4. Eclipse says:

Vice City Rage looks really good, if they can import character models and missions and do a sort of port of Vice City in GTA IV engine then I’m all over it

Henke says:

Me too. I’ve already played GTA4 to death on the 360. But if the Vice City Rage mod turns out as good as it could be I’m defenitely buying the PC version as well. :)

5. Urael says:

“Rockstar probably weren’t super-happy about the scathing reaction to the belated, bloatware-afflicted PC version of GTA IV”

Then I’m not sure exactly what they expected. We moaned at them for delaying San Andreas so to have to suffer the same delays again with IV, and then get into the horrible state of the shoddy, demanding port avec bloat…well, it’s a bit like being kicked in the face, then being expected to be grateful when they change into steel toe-capped boots first.

I am saddened that they might be abandoning the platform altogether, though. They make really good games, I’ve loved every GTA so far, and would like to keep supporting a developer of their caliber. A shame.

Am loving the Vice City in IV idea. Here’s hoping this one comes to fruition!

• Grape Flavor says:

Maybe they are tired of trying to please a market so unbelievably bratty and spoiled as to compare them going through the trouble to MAKE a PC version as, “being kicked in the face with steel-toed boots”?

Just thinking.

• Urael says:

No, you really aren’t.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Urael
      I admit I could have been less obnoxious in my phrasing but your analogy is still quite hyperbolic. I mean really.

• Urael says:

Point taken. I did overcook it more than I meant to – written hastily during a lunch period. Will strive to be more accurate next time. :)

6. destroy.all.monsters says:

The water was nice. Everything else seemed low res and not any better than in the original.

I’m certainly not going though 8 minutes of the other. I’m still happy someone’s working on this though.

Rockstar apparently just doesn’t get the pc (or doesn’t want to) – and that’s a damn shame.

7. bigtoeohno says:

It really is a shame if pc doesn’t get red dead redemption I’ve had the chance to play a decent amount of it at my brother in laws its definitely up there. The mooding of it all is amazing. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t rush from objective to objective only to not spoil the mood. Example: walking out through a busy tavern I’m not at all urged to rapidly tap a button to run as is the rockstar way see that would spoil the taverns atmosphere instead I stroll keeping my cowboy swagger until I reach my horse outside. Now I know jumping on my horse will untie it automatically but uh-uh I walk to its head and untie it than mount up. Finally where I need to go is directly behind me, sure I could just turn and gallop off, of course… but I’m a fricken cowboy so I slowly turn while backing up the horse as it tosses at its reigns now facing the right way I pull back on the reigns hard causing mhy steed to rear up on it back legs letting out an almighty neeeeiiigggh. After all that I finally feel I’m to ready gallop off. That is a game, one where you want to take your time… again its a shame.

8. chiroben says:

OMGOMGOMG. I forgot to read the rest of the article or watch the videos. Did you say something about Vice City? Off to read the story now. Please don’t let this be another in life’s long line of disappointments.

9. gorgol says:

If Rockstar don’t release on the PC they will pass from being a shining beacon of the gaming scene and fade into obscurity.

Why? Because console gamers forget. PC gamers do not. If they persist in console exclusivity they will be forgotten.

Who are the biggest, richest, and baddest games companies at the moment? Arguably EA and Blizzard. And they release on the PC for sure. ‘Cos they know the buisness very well.

Having said that I don’t think Rockstar are so stupid as to dismiss the PC completely. A company that gave birth to one of the greatest game series of all time cannot be that stupid. GTA V will come to the PC, as will RDR.

Further, I think the only reason they’ve held back from the PC lately is Microsoft basically forcing them to.

Nissanthen says:

Exactly! Keep the faith brother, we will certainly see a PC version of Red Dead Redemption.

• Olivaw says:

Everything that you just said are the nonsense ramblings of a delusional mind.

Henke says:

“console gamers forget. PC gamers do not.”

I feel like making a sarcastic joke here but I can’t think of anything that doesn’t pale in comparison to the sheer stupidity of the original statement.

Is this actually your honest view of gamers who play games on consoles vs gamers who play games on a computer, gorgol? Or are you just trolling?

• gorgol says:

Console gamers are a much more casual market than the PC market. Casual attitudes induce amnesia towards the subject. The GTA PC community however is hardcore. They will keep the games alive for years beyond their console lifespan.

The mods mentioned in this article, the SA-MP mod, the VC-MP mod, etc, etc, etc (I could go on forever listing popular mods of the series that are still insanely popular), are proof of this.

This is the main reason the GTA franchise has such a legendary status. Without the PC versions and the communities that build up around them, the GTA franchise would be nothing in comparison to what it actually is.

• Jahkaivah says:

While I seriously disagree that console gamers don’t hold massive love for the classics like PC gamers do. It is worth noting how there are now generations of old console games for which the only easy means of playing them is on the pc through an emulator.

Henke says:

gorgol, don’t try to change the topic. In your original post you’re clearly not talking about the life-span of individual games but of the company as a whole. You’re saying that, on consoles, Rockstar will fade into obscurity because console gamers will “forget” them. You’re implying that consolegamers are just a bunch of kids who reach for the latest shiny thing without knowing or caring about who made it.

Not that that’s a bad thing. A game should be able to stand on it’s own legs instead of coasting on – or being punished for – the developers earlier titles.

But that’s besides the point right now, the point is this: gorgol, you’re coming across as the kind of elitis PC gamer douchebag that gives other PC gamers a bad name. Shut up.

• gorgol says:

Henke,

I will not shut up, and you will not tell me what I was or was not talking about. My second post illustrates exactly what I was talking about in my first post. If my well constructed arguments offend you I don’t give a damn.

• Urthman says:

Henke, can you post a comparable link to a website showing console players doing cool new things with GTA4 in 2011?

Stuff like this could get someone to buy a PC version of GTA4 today. Anything like that driving new console sales of GTA4 today?

• sinister agent says:

Good grief, what a load of gibbering self-congratulatory nonsense. People who play on consoles are no different to people who play on PCs. Indeed, many, many people play on both, because this kind of pathetic platform ‘loyalty’ is one of the many things that makes gamers look like childish tools to the rest of the world.
      Henke is being needleslly rude, but his point is valid.

• gorgol says:

sinister agent,

stringing a bunch of insults together does not make a valid argument.

In fact the only recognisable argument you make is that console gamers are not different to PC gamers. That argument is self contradictory…

Next time you post please engage your brain.

• wsmieszek says:

And you base your assumption on any kind of tangible proof? Any statistics, proper researchers done on the differences between console and pc gamers?

I get the impression that a gamer is a gamer, regardless of the machine. Comes from somebody playing the first Prehistoric on IBM, first MoH and MGS on PS and the first Baldur’s Gate on PC. Know many more multi-platform gamers like me.

• gorgol says:

What assumption?

• wsmieszek says:

“(…) console gamers forget. PC gamers do not.”

Henke says:

“My second post illustrates exactly what I was talking about in my first post.”

No, your first post illustrates what your first post was about. Your second post is you trying to change a debate you know you’re losing.

Also, dude, you’re the one who threw the first rock by insulting consolegamers. So you might understand why my rebutal was a bit hot tempered. I tried to hold back tho. Really. I didn’t use a single swearword. You have no idea the kind of self-restraint that took!

• gorgol says:

My second post provides evidence of PC gamers playing and remembering a game series far longer than happens with the console version, thus suporting the statement in my first post that “console gamers forget. PC gamers do not”.

• DrGonzo says:

I still play Mario Kart on the Snes. There you go gorgol. Now please be quiet and stop talking out of your rear.

• gorgol says:

DrGonzo,

Mario Kart has not been released on the PC therefore that comparison is invalid.

• Kaira- says:

@Gorgol

I still play Halo on Xbox. You have thus been proven false.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, because NO ONE in the console universe remembered GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas. They just bought GTA4 out of some purely whimsical fancy. Look, every single time there is a GTA announcement, the world craps its pants. Rockstar doesn’t need the longevity of the PC modding scene to make their games great. Their games are great already (at least, IMO). The series has always shined first and foremost on the consoles. Ask most people if there was a GTA3, Vice City, or San Andreas PC release and most people will say, “I don’t know. I played it on PS2.” Despite the fact that every single GTA (except handheld titles) has been released on the PC.

Rockstar can never release on PC ever again and be just fine. Their titles sell extremely well and they are a highly regarded company. Whenever a new Rockstar title comes out, people go gaga for it. (remember Table Tennis? it was awesome!) What difference does a longevity of the PC market matter when they can just release another game a year to 6 months later and once again start printing cash? The GTA:SA-MP mods and such are cool, yes, but they are NOT what made the series (and Rockstar) so popular. The games themselves are what made the series (and Rockstar) so popular.

The GTA PC community is an avid, ingenious, and dedicated bunch. However, they are a very small percentage of the GTA series’ monetary pool. During the first 5 days, GTA4 sold 1.8 million copies on the 360 alone, 2.8 million if you include PS3. And that’s just in the USA. During it’s first week on PC, it debuted 7th place in the NPD charts, and then disappeared. Now, yes, NPD doesn’t always account for the most accurate info on PC sales (since it doesn’t include Steam and other DD), but GTA4 didn’t exactly fare very well in Steamland either, with a lot of customers demanding refunds. By August 2008 (a full 4 months before the PC version’s release), GTA4 had sold over 10 million copies worldwide on consoles. If you think the PC market’s GTA4 sales are anywhere close to that, you’re deluding yourself. Especially after the PC version having such a rocky start and a still-sullied reputation.

I would love for Rockstar’s titles to come to the PC, especially the few that have not. I’m PC first, console second. Even with titles like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4, Dead Space, Manhunt, Assassin’s Creed, etc. that are console-centric, I still prefer to play on the PC. However, I’m not delusional enough to think that a company can’t make a great portfolio of games and make wonderful profits while ignoring the PC market, unfortunately. (at least for now)

Personally, the only thing that I think rings true is MS tying people’s hands. I do think that this will come to an end rather soon. When the 360 launched, devs wanted to get on board. The 360 was hot and it was in the forefront. With the upcoming wave of games, and MS having no plans to upgrade the 360′s ability (ie: blu-ray drive) to load bigger titles, such as Rage, the platform will suffer. Rage will ship on 360 with lower res textures than PS3 and PC. This is a fact and one that, I feel, will become a lot more common in the waning years of the 360′s lifespan. MS’s reign of the 360 being THE platform to publish on is nearing an end, and people are caring less and less about buying into MS’s exclusivity shenanigans. Even indie devs, who were singing MS’s LIVE Arcade praises, are caring a lot less about MS’s services nowadays and are instead talking up Steam and multi-platform development.

• gorgol says:

Kaira,

hmm, no. You have shown that my statement is not to be taken literally, but i would have thought that was already obvious. I was clearly not implying that console gamers cannot remember their own name and that PC gamers have a photographic memory that never fails.

I don’t particularly fancy sitting here all day today and tomorrow countering every console fan boi that cares to rage about my comments. I’ve said what I had to say and I stand by it, like it or lump it.

Nice trolling you all, hope to do it again some time.

• Kaira- says:

@ Gorgol
      “The point stands, with evidence, that the epic status the GTA series has is in large part due to the massive and ongoing communities that build up around the PC releases. The same cannot be said for the console version, no matter how many Sonics, Mario’s, or Master Chief’s you throw at me.”
      The point, which you haven’t proved still. It’s just a claim with no proof, also known as opinions.
      “If they persist in console exclusivity they will be forgotten”
      Like Chrono Cross, eh? Earthbound? Or developers, such as Rare? Free Radical Design?

Evidence you have brought up: naught
      Things you have claimed: “(…) console gamers forget. PC gamers do not.”
      “Console gamers are a much more casual market than the PC market. Casual attitudes induce amnesia towards the subject”
      You have brought no evidence to back up these claims, but it figures, as you are dodging questions and clearly trolling.

Nissanthen says:

I still believe that we will see a PC version of Red Dead Redemption, maybe they will announce something during E3 this year.

I also believe that they will port L.A. Noire to the PC at some point.

• bigtoeohno says:

Am I treading a thin line to say if given the choice between nothing and a ‘dodgy’ port I would love a port. I mean most ports are at the very least playable.

• Wulf says:

There was a recent post that I saw that I feel is apt here, so I’ll paraphrase it.

Says Nissanthen, whilst fighting off bitter tears of denial.

• malkav11 says:

The only Rockstar game I can think of that -hasn’t- eventually made its way to PC was Red Dead Revolver.

I expect you can blame me for the absence of the PC version of Red Dead Redemption, though. Bully, GTA IV, Episodes from Liberty City, all came to PC after I’d bought into the disingenuous assertions that no PC port was planned and got the console version. I’ve been holding off on RDR.

• Oak says:

According to Wikipedia, the last Rockstar San Diego game to come to the PC was Midnight Club 2. In 2003. I wouldn’t completely give up hope, given RDR’s great popularity, but it’ll soon be a year since the original release and not a peep has been heard.

Nissanthen says:

@Wulf, I am not in denial and I am not really crying, stop making fun of me.

I honestly believe that Rockstar will port Red Dead Redemption to the PC.

If they haven’t released it within a year or so, at that point you can start pointing fingers at me and laugh all you want, I should have lost all hope by then.

• idiotapocs says:

It is coming this May :)
      Or at least this year…

• Kadayi says:

Given RDR success I fully expect to see a pc port at some point in time (and maybe LA Noire down the road also). An E3 RDR PC release announcement wouldn’t surprise me. Ultimately with Activision CEO Bobby ‘the IP gutter’ Kotick sniffing around for tasty acquisition morsels, Take 2′s board probably want to keep their shareholders happy with nice dividend payments. Even with the spectre of piracy, RDR would still shift like hotcakes and that extra income might keep the wolf from the door.

Nissanthen says:

@idiotapocs, A May release would be awesome! :) But I still think that an announcement is more likely.

@Kadayi, I also believe that Red Dead Redemption will sell very well on the PC over time, I have no idea how well GTA 4 and EFLC did on PC, but I did everything I could to support the game, I gifted quite a few copies for my friends

• Grape Flavor says:

@bigtoeohno

YES. This petulant attitude of “what I want, when want it, exactly how I want it, with every thing exactly perfect – OR FUCK YOU, DON”T BOTHER GIVING IT TO ME AT ALL YOU ASSHOLES!”, is disgusting.

All you losers just boycott the game or whatever makes you feel self-righteous – I’ll be too busy playing some truly marvelous games. Rockstar social club login or no login, delay or no delay.

• Urael says:

Grape, there comes a point when every consumer has to draw a line and say “No, that’s not acceptable”. Rockstar like to dance around that line, and clearly seem to prefer console audiences than PC. Yes, we’re a demanding bunch but GTA IV was a lot to swallow in one package. Late, badly optimised/poorly coded and saddled with wholly unnecessary additions – I don’t see why we should be thankful that kind of treatment. Yes, it was good to – finally – have the game (albeit after the initial buzz had long since died down – it would have been nice to be a part of that too) but it felt like an afterthought, a bone to keep us quiet. If asking for the same treatment from Rockstar as other companies seem to have no trouble giving us is “disgusting” to you, then you really need to rethink things.

• malkav11 says:

Personally, I don’t really care if the PC version is delayed compared to the console version. It sucks, sure, but it’s not that uncommon and I have plenty of other stuff to occupy me til it arrives. What Rockstar does that drives me bugnuts is that they will wait months and months, insisting all the while that there is no PC version in development and refusing to acknowledge the possibility that there will be one…and then, after giving people the maximum possible time to settle for an inferior, more expensive console version, -then- they bring it to PC.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Urael
      I’m not contrasting a flawed port to a great port. Of course we have a right to criticize flaws in the delivery. I’m contrasting a flawed port vs. no port at all (which is what some of the “good riddance” type comments propose). Something is better than nothing. Yeah, I’d like not to have to login to play GTA IV, but I’d rather login than buy a console and play it that way or not get to play it at all.

And of course they prefer consoles! They sell much more on consoles. It’s economic reality. Not to mention a much greater percentage of console players actually bother paying for the game, but that’s for another discussion.

11. Xercies says:

I wish we would get LA Noire, that looks like its pushing some games boundaries

Lars Westergren says:

Yeah…. if it is as good as it looks to be, and it won’t come to the PC, I may get a PS3 actually. I need a BluRay player anyway.

• Buttless Boy says:

I got a PS3 for Heavy Rain and mostly use it for Netflix these days, but I’m planning on picking up L.A. Noire.

*sigh*

Remember the days when you could own a console and have more than five worthwhile games for it?

• Bhazor says:

Everyone refers to LA Noire as a Rockstar game when it really isn’t. They’re just publishing it.

The developers are the gentlemen who made the Eyepet and this http://uk.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/getaway/video/2909369/the-getaway-video-review

• DrGonzo says:

@Butless Boy

Actually, I really don’t. Consoles have always been that way for me. They usually release half a dozen worthwhile games for it.

drewski says:

Rockstar Games have a developer credit on L.A. Noire as well as the publishing one, it should be noted. How much they actually have to do with it is probably up for debate.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Xercies
      At least LA Noire is using a different engine and isn’t really being made by Rockstar. They already have experience porting RAGE games to PC, so RDR has no excuse.

I hope we get both though.

12. bascule42 says:

Rockstar… they make exceedingly good energy drinks. Fuck ‘em…if they don’t want the PC market, I’ll switch to Red Bull & sell my copy of the Football Factory.

13. Eddeman says:

Oh god, all the time I’ve lost to this game while making stunting videos… While GTA 3 was a great game it did suffer from a few issues that Vice City addressed, like the horrible performance of the engine and a main character that could talk. It was probably the game I played the most in the last decade. Funny thing is I have to force loads of multisampling and run with a few graphics mods or my card clocks itself down and the game starts to lag.

I haven’t actually done any missions since the first time I finished it though, so maybe it’s time to replay it when/if either of these mods get finished.

14. Olivaw says:

It’s a pity that GTAIV’s PC port did everything in it’s power to make it a goddamn chore to play, because the game itself was one of my favorite games released that year.

15. el_Chi says:

The “Red Dead and LA Noire will come to PC” voices are pretty optimistic. I’d love to see both (more the latter) on PC but I doubt it’ll happen.
    Rockstar Vancouver was involved in the PC ports of GTA4, plus Tales From Liberty City, and are currently working on Max Payne 3, (also coming to PC, of course) so perhaps Vancouver is Rockstar’s go-to team for PC porting.

Or maybe Rockstar really don’t give a fuck about PC any more. That would be sad.

Nissanthen says:

The PC port of GTA 4 was handled by Rockstar Toronto and they have been quite silent lately, I am hoping that they are busy working on the PC port of Red Dead Redemption.

16. WJonathan says:

Well that was a rotten trick. The first video is mostly clips of the original unedited Vice City with the high-res car mods. And the second video is garbage. This should have been a brief mention in Mod News.

• MistaJah says:

The first video looks proficient with some artistic direction, though it needs textures. I agree with the second one… But oh those pop-in pop-out objects are horrible on both videos. Come on, these are PC versions of the game.

17. Darko Drako says:

There was an excessive amount of winging about GTA IV on the PC. I played it through last year, and would say it was probably the most impressive and enjoyable game I played that year. (Mount &blade Warband gets the prize for most time spent playing).

• Nick says:

Yes, the whinging was mostly not related to the quality of the game though.

Personally I didn’t enjoy it much, but the DLC they finally released was a lot more funand even ran better.

Nissanthen says:

I had a blast playing through GTA 4, I didn’t really experience any problems that people were complaining about, I think that Rockstar Toronto did a great job supporting the game post-release, I think some people just gave up on the game too quickly

• Thants says:

Plenty of the winging is justified. I tried playing it and could never get more than about 20 FPS no matter what I did. It’s gotta be the worst optimized game I’ve ever played.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Darko Drako
      Indeed.

@Thants
      Or maybe it’s time to let go of that 8600GT?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, it was fantastic. Actually runs on my new PC, too!

• Thants says:

Well, it’s an 8800GS, and I’m not going to upgrade just for GTA. Every other modern game runs perfectly fine.

• Grape Flavor says:

@Thants
      Hmm. Well maybe you have a point there, it is odd if you couldn’t get acceptable frames even by turning the settings way down. You are fairly close to minimum spec though, and there’s no guarantee for what the dev considers “acceptable”.

I remember when Bethesda said you could run Oblivion on a GeForce FX. Yeah, my ass. Selected very modest settings at 1024×768, ended up with about 30 seconds-per-frame. Eventually I managed to get about 20 FPS but at that point it looked like it was running on a Nintendo 64.

Nissanthen says:

@Thants, did you try with the latest patches? I really think that they did a great job optimizing the game post-release.

• Thants says:

I probably should try it again and make sure I have the latest update. It’s certainly possible that I was just having some specific bug.

18. ulix says:

Why wouldn’t GTA V come to PC? Because RDR didn’t (and LA Noire probably won’t?).
    So what?
    The first Red Dead wasn’t on PC, so there’s that. LA Noire doesn’t use the RAGE Engine, so the’d have to port it over completely.
    Also, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Table Tennis, Midnight Club 3 and The Warriors never made it to PC, and they all came before GTA IV.
    So I Say: Of course it will come to PC (lieke every other Main Entry GTA), even if it will only be announced a few months after the console version has been released. And a few months after I already bought it for PS3.

• sinister agent says:

I’m guessing because Rockstar have given the impression that they consider the PC and its uders to be more trouble than they’re worth.

• Jimbo says:

It isn’t a certainty, but I agree that it’s still very likely that GTA 5 will come to PC. When your game is capable of selling 20 million copies it’s worth putting it out on as many platforms as possible. It wouldn’t surprise me if they do go for a staggered / secret PC launch though.

I also think most of the industry is just more positive about the PC market now than they were in ’08 when GTA 4 came out.

oceanclub says:

GTA:VC is a frustrating game which _almost_ overcomes the limitation of the engine but not quite. Combat and driving are, well, a bit rubbish, and the way you lose all your weapons if you fail a mission/die/get captured is annoying, as you just end up reloading. And the hard-core ambulance mission is strictly for masochists. It’s why GTA IV is my favourite; it’s the first in the 3D series, for all its faults, where they nailed the mechanics (and also Nico is a great character). Still, driving down neon-lit streets to “Billy Jean” is loads of fun.

P.

• mda says:

Weird, GTA 4 is the only one in the series I cannot bring myself to play – purely due to the utterly annoying (imo) driving physics.

20. bluebogle says:

Thank goodness we still have the Saint’s Row series!

21. Rii says:

Rockstar no longer supporting PC? Good. The less of their vile, misogynist oeuvre that makes it to my platform, the better.

• Grape Flavor says:

ahahahahahaha!
      You know, I’m not even going to bother to try and reply to this one. What a douche.

Only on RPS, folks.

• WJonathan says:

I can easily see someone being put off by Rockstar’s brand off humor. When it misses the mark, and they do quite often, it’s just dumb and gross. GTA IV in particular didn’t work for me, most of the dialogue and “social commentary” just fell on its face. Aside from the relationship between Niko and Roman, which was hilarious, and Brucie, who was amusing for a while, Rockstar’s writers showed themselves to be adults who’ll never grow up.

22. Radiant says:

Apropos of pretty much nothing there’s a stonkingly great cover version of that All of the Lights song.

23. Tei says:

No Donkey Lady for us :(

24. manveruppd says:

/ignore, misheard lyrics :p

25. whydidyoumakemeregister says:

Rockstar couldn’t care less about PC anymore. I wanted to play Vice City last year, but it has a really bad graphical bug that they have a patch for on their website. The link didn’t work, so I used the feedback form from that page to tell them about it. I get a reply asking where I was when I experienced the problem (the feedback form template that they e-mailed me even had that plain as day), so I clearly explain the problem again, and they respond asking me to run a DirectX test on my system and send the results. I respond clearly saying it was just a 404 problem, a few days later they “closed” the ticket (at this point I’m over it and have uninstalled the game and don’t care), and even better a few days later they ask if I was satisfied with the response! I said no, please stop contacting me, and of course I get an e-mail back saying it has been escalated and somebody will be in touch. A few days later another e-mail from them. I respond once more saying the problem and telling them to not contact me at all unless they’re going to reimburse me for my wasted time. The link is still dead: http://support.rockstargames.com/help/rockstar_games/q749 (and if you poke around you’ll find the majority of their old patches are dead links).

I thought about putting it on Reddit or something since it was such an absurd Gmail conversation (I honestly thought they were fucking with me or being funny), but I kind of forgot about it until this.

• ulix says:

Please do put it on something. Maybe it’ll work and they’ll do something.

Public ridicule often is the only language these companies understand.

26. DOLBYdigital says:

I loved Vice City and think it was my favorite GTA game so this news sounds great. It might actually get me to play GTA IV which I cannot get into for some reason. I should try it out again sometime, probably when GTA V comes out on the consoles and we have to wait for half a year. Any other really good mods that I should check out for GTA IV, I haven’t been following the modding scene as close as I used to, should get back into that again but work sucks my free time dry :(

27. Interrobangin says:

Why is it pretty unlikely that the next GTA will be released on PC? All the previous GTAs have been released on PC—some of which were originally released as (semi) PS2 exclusives, and others as Xbox exclusives (episodic content).
    The comparison is two series which aren’t even GTA? Red Dead Redemption’s (spiritual) predecessor wasn’t released on PC, either. LA Noire isn’t even out yet, and was originally slated to be a PS3 exclusive.

That’s not to say that the next GTA WILL see a PC release. But I think the odds aren’t “pretty unlikely.” Why is this an article?

28. DNF71 says:

I won’t buy a fisher price (console) just to play a couple of games. I “missed out” on RDR and will miss out on everything else RockStar (or anyone for that matter) puts out for console-only. PC>fisher price kiddies and always will. Gonna go fire up my Fallout New Vegas now on my superior gaming PC and check out one of the hundreds of mods out there that the community gets involved with…further prolonging the game’s life in various creative ways. Heck the ONLY reason I bought Unreal Tournament 3 was because I knew the modding community would make some kickass mods and it was worth it.