Life Of The Party: Rift’s River of Souls

By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2011 at 10:08 am.

It's a bit like the river of thames.
Rift’s updates have begun, and with 1.1 comes the “dynamic event” River Of Souls, which is some kind of invasion by “the plane of death”, aka the undead faction. There’s a video to illustate the goings on (below) it’s all a bit dramatic, with giants, and an skeletal dragon, and some woman talking about weak flesh. Exciting stuff.

Not sure about that voice acting, though. Hmm. Anyone playing Rift? Come on, hands up.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. weego says:

She says “weak minds crave domination” like she’s from Hull, and while Hull closely fits the description of a place of lost souls and the dead I’m not sure I want to spend my virtual hours there.

• jstar says:

That voice acting is amazing. I didn’t know my mum had it in her.

• Daniel Rivas says:

I once went on a university open day to Hull, and in the opening speech the speaker started off by saying “Now, I know you all will have come through the city to get here, but I want you to understand that if you study here, you essentially never have to leave the campus…”

I didn’t think it was that bad.

• Vague-rant says:

@jstar
      That is the easiest your mum joke set up I have ever seen. Fortunately, this is RPS and no one will mention it (besides from me).

• Leelad says:

Woah woah woah!! It may be a shit hole but it’s OUR shit hole.

At any rate I have never felt like a lost soul.

Harlander says:

Besides, Middlesbrough is much worse.

2. clownst0pper says:

Stopped at level 25. Which is odd for me, I just didn’t click with it: Feels old and new at the same time.

Roll on GW2…

• Grot_Punter says:

I’m currently in that position, I blame 5 years of WoW for that. Also, yes, the voice acting in this game is quite poo, and this is after they changed it. Don’t get me wrong, it was still poo before hand, but the originals I at least found to be enjoyable-bad-movie-because-its-bad kind of bad. I miss stereotypical paladin voice Eliam.

Schaulustiger says:

*puts his hands up*

I’m actually pretty excited about this event. The normal invasions grow a bit old after some time, but this promises to be extraordinary.
    I still wish they had put a bit more work into the questing part, it’s really getting annoying once you’re about level 40 or so. Luckily, you can mainly do PvP and rifting to level, that’s at least what I do. It’s a fun game if you’re not taking it too seriously and like this particular kind of MMORPG.

4. RaytraceRat says:

*puts his hands up*

So far I’m finding RIFT a perfect game for that evening where you’re too tired to do anything creative, but not ready to go to sleep yet. Its just a well polished and stable time sink with chat and exp :)

• harmen says:

> Its just a well polished and stable time sink with chat and exp :)

Interesting world it is where these words are the highest praise one can give for an MMOPRG.

James G says:

I won a copy with PCG, so have been giving it a try. Its okay, but I find myself unimpressed for the same reasons I lost interest in WoW. The Rifts invasions, and associated public groups are a step in the right direction, but unfortunately the gameplay itself doesn’t interest me a huge amount. I think my main issue, is that too much goes down to avoiding pulling too many enemies at once, then it is pretty much a matter of maintaining your buffs, and dealing damage. Now, I’m sure things improve at higher levels (currently 17), or when you are working as part of a large co-ordinated group, but its certainly not enough to keep me playing at the end of the free month (especially as working in a co-ordinated group will just make me feel awkward and beholden to others).

6. JackShandy says:

Finally, another undead dominatrix character. I always said MMO’s don’t do enough to exploit the vital necrophiliac market.

7. Jimmeh says:

I’m really enjoying Rift, it has the feel of an older MMO with a shiny new facelift and most of the UI/mechanics streamlining from the current generation.

It has a few of the problems many new games of this type suffer from, such as crazy pet AI, questionable itemisation and a sprinkling of imbalance here and there, but nothing that can’t be resolved in the next few patches.

Trion have been very responsive to the community, and seem to be prioritising the areas that are most lacking in a way I haven’t seen for a long time, if ever. The most recent addition is a system to authorise yourself every time you log in from a new or unfamiliar IP, so if someone does discover your account details, they won’t be able to do anything more than log on without providing a code.

Providing it can hold the attention of the fickle masses, I think it has terrific potential, and is in far better shape than any game I have played at this early stage.

8. Matt says:

I’m still playing DCUO (and I haven’t even reached the level cap yet. I’m so slow). Does that count?

• Baka says:

Enjoy it while it lasts. After the level cap there sadly isn’t much to do anymore.

• fionny says:

Aye, once you hit 30 its all repeat the same thing over and over and over and over….

I swore that if I ever had to hear” Get your knuckle sandwiches” again id put my computer through the window… so I cut my losses and canceled my sub before my free month ran out…

Good game total lack of content…. and from what I hear dead servers now too.

• Wulf says:

More post eating.

I think it’s because I used ‘free.’ That… spambot needs to go out like yesterday’s rubbish. :p

• Baka says:

DCUO? F2P? I think you’re confusing the game with another superhero MMO. Couldn’t find anything about that or “The Tempest” on the interwebs.

9. Valvarexart says:

Dat voice actor…*stuffs fingers into throat*

10. Hoaxfish says:

youse can pick yow laundree oop on fraiday

11. mcwill says:

I asked a ladyfriend of mine why female villains invariably seem to wind up prancing around in their underwear, and she thwacked me around the head and said “Cos they can, idiot!” So there you are.

12. Lobotomist says:

I played Rift beta. And while i found it pretty ok (not great)
    I just can not understand why should anyone plop 50$ + 15$ every month when you can play all these :
    LOTRO,Champions,Ryzom,EQ2,PTOBS,DDO…and many more – for free
    And they are all no less good (and some better) than Rift

• Vexing Vision says:

• Bats says:

That’s a highly subjective opinion as far as whether they are better or not than Rift. I’ve tried Lord of the Rings Online… it’s done very well for a free2play game but it didn’t hold my attention the way that Rift did. Also messed around with Guild Wars, DDO, and even more. I didn’t find them as compelling. Rift does some things well, and it’s really a refinement of a lot of established MMOs.

It’s not the best MMO by far, but it’s definitely a tier or two above F2P MMOs as far as I’ve experienced already and it’s enough for me to justify buying it and doing a few months to see what I can get out of it. Once it’s outlived its usefulness to me I’ll cancel and move on. I’d have loved it more if it was free to play like the way Guild Wars is set up but I somehow doubt I’d see the same game/amount of content/active events etc, who knows, maybe it’ll go F2P eventually.

I’m really waiting to see how it’ll stack up against Guild Wars 2.

• Hallgrim says:

That is kind of silly… all of those games are designed to encourage/force you to pay for them sooner or later… and all of them encourage you to pay much more than 15 bucks a month for them.

• Nick says:

“Because you don’t have to play with people who won’t pop 15$ a month. Which means less kids, which is something relaxing in an online game.”

Never played WoW?

13. Ryan Vincent says:

I just finished writing the fourth and final part (fifth part if you include the beta preview) of my weekly Rift review diary. Its really just an average fantasy MMORPG, with all the faults and foibles that go with that by default.
    Now I’m going to have to check off cheesy undead dominatrix on the cliché checklist.

Edit: Logging back in again, I was reminded of the enemies I was last fighting: “Depraved undead”

I’m now seeing that in a totally different light.

14. Ashrik says:

Oh dear, you’ll never impress Blizzard with trailer videos like that Trion!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

They were right with that ‘not in Azeroth anymore’.

• Hallgrim says:

Yeah they should hire the same company Warhammer Online used to make their fancy CGI trailers. I’m sure that helped WAR a bunch.

15. afarrell says:

I get the impression it’s doing well from WoW’s lulls, and indeed WoW is managing their schedule around this (much like rival movie companies not putting out their Big Summer Blockbusters on the same weekend). Blizzard appears to be betting that once people spend a month or so at Rift level cap, it will become apparent that all the stuff that Blizzard makes look easy (as regards making that period look fun) actually isn’t. And then there’ll be a new content/raid tier/PvP season in WoW, beckoning them back..

16. mod the world says:

Yay for Rift player and yay for a free update. Anyone knows when the european shards will be updated?

• Jimmeh says:

Today, apparently.

• mod the world says:

Thanks, but i wanted a more exact time with hours and stuff. Anyway, update is underway and the freshly patched servers will go live in 2 hours or so.

17. Wulf says:

To be frank, this looks like Trion taking “Let’s rip off Guild Wars 2, but badly!” to a new level.

As another said, roll on GW2 itself. (Nice that GW2 won’t be charging for a subscription, either. Better and cheaper!)

• Chris D says:

I’m looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as much as the next man (well, unless the next man is you, in which case I’m not sure that’s possible) but is it even possible to rip off a game that hasn’t been released yet?

I don’t think many people are claiming that Rift is a beacon of originality but if this is indeed a rip off then it seems there are a lot of possible candidates to choose from.

• 1stGear says:

Wulf feels the need to shoehorn GW2 in any and every comment thread involving an MMO. You’ll get used to it.

You are right though. Rift is pretty much Burning Crusade-era WoW only with Rifts! and an interesting but will never be remotely balanced class system! From every Rift player I’ve spoken to, the former is already starting to become tedious and I imagine the latter will be the game’s albatross for its entire existence.

18. checkit says:

Gotta remember to cancel my account for this game.

19. Maxheadroom says:

I’ve been playing WoW off and on (currently off) since it was first released and – like a fat kid hogging the only swing in the park – desperately want to see something knock it off it’s perch. It’s had it’s day, let one of the other kids have a go.

Not played Rift but if the reviews are anything to go by its the first real contender in some time. That and GW2

20. forddent says:

It sounds like they recorded her lines over Skype.

21. Jumwa says:

I poo pooed it at firs (well to be fair, I said it was a fine game, just that I wasn’t into WoW clones, and that still remains mostly true) but in the agonizing wait for Guild Wars 2, I gave Rift another go with my other-half, and she and I are having much more fun now. Our first characters in beta were just terribly conceived, I picked a REALLY bad soul combination that just did NOT work for leveling well, and that led me to not enjoy myself.

But now that I’ve experimented a bit, I found a combination I love, and I’m really enjoying the dynamic feel of the world and looking forward to getting into the RP community.

22. Bats says:

Having seen some videos of what this entails on the test servers, I cannot wait to get home and play this. Just hit 40 last night and well this is sure to stack on a level or two, even tho my Chloromancer is less effective in raid healing now thanks to this patch =V Ah well I will see how it plays.