Petroglyph Date Rise Of The Immortals Beta

By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2011 at 9:30 pm.

Dance, scorpy, dance!
Gosh, it seems that everyone wants a piece of the DOTA pie – I’m sorry – Multiplayer Online Battle Arena pie. RTS heroes Petroglyph have announced that they’re accepting sign ups for their take on the genre, Rise Of The Immortals, just here. The event itself kicks off on the 5th of April. The game is, of course, based around team PvP hero combat, but apparently there will also be an introductory PvE mode for those wanting to learn how to play, or simply hide from the harsh judgement of their peers.

There’s a video of Petroglyph talking about their game, and you can watch it below. But there’s more! A second trailer. Imagine that! The second one has actual game footage. So hurrah for that.

, .

1. h4plo says:

Man, when she said “action packed moba” my pants got a little uncomfortable.

2. Berzee says:

The weird thing about MOBA is that, if you didn’t know what it meant, you’d never know what it meant. =)

FPS — tells you the perspective and what you will be doing mostly, which is shooting.
    TPS — same.
    RTS — tells you the speed of play and what you will be doing mostly, which is commanding armies. (sort of…in some of the games)
    TBS — same.
    Puzzle — yes.
    RPG — is sort of like MOBA in this sense, in that it makes perfect sense once you already know what it means.

But anyhow, I might enjoy this game but it looks like they’ve taken the standard Women In Underwear idiocy in visual design, so nawww. I have only tried Bloodlines for a few minutes but so far I haven’t seen anyone in bikinis or less…so that’s encouraging.

Shame, the persistence could have been fun.

• Lamb Chop says:

Don’t forget Guns n’ Conversation – tells you there will be Guns. Also, Conversation.

Not to be confused with Guns n’ Conservation, like the illustrious Deer Avenger (2).

• OpT1mUs says:

It’s not wierd at all. It’s a bullshit acronym coined by Riot of LoL fame, and it apparently, unfortunatly cought on. Some of us still fight against it, but the future looks grim.

• dsi1 says:

What does MOBA stand for…

• Berzee says:

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena o_O

• stahlwerk says:

Museum Of Blasphemous Art

• mda says:

Agreed.

Multiplayer Online Battle Arena is just about the dumbest name anyone could have thought up for this genre.

Applies to any online mp game in which you ‘battle’ … why!

3. Hoaxfish says:

apparently the characters of Mortal Kombat will blend

not to be confused with MOMA or MOBOs

4. Crimson Rising says:

The genre is MOBA. The sub-genre is dota. Yes, dota can refer to the actual DotA or a dota-like game. LoL and HoN are dota games. BLC would be a MOBA. That is the way I think of it anyways. It just stops the confusion and let me call games like this a dota game.

That being said, I will try this out. More dota games? Sign me up!

• Rich says:

dota? dota?!? Dumb all over the concept of acronyms why don’t you.

• DrH0rrible says:

I though that the subgenre was called AoS or strife or something along those lines.

5. Shakermaker says:

Why has no one sent me the memo that MOBA games are the new FPS? Here I was thinking that it was just a small niche.

6. Vinraith says:

“Multiplayer Online Battle Arena”

That acronym is never going to stop bothering me, especially since I spent far more time playing DotA against AI than I ever did dealing with the raving lunatic community these games tend to develop.

• Jad says:

You know, I don’t see why we can’t just stick with “DOTA games”. Yes, some genres dropped their specific-game-references, like “Doom-clones” became “FPS”, but we haven’t always done that: Torchlight and Titan Quest are almost always referred to as “Diablo-clones” as “action RPG” is far too broad (Mass Effect 2 could easily fall into that category). Rogue-likes is another example.

• Vinraith says:

RPG genre and subgenre definitions are a trainwreck anyway, as the whole genre title is inherited from a completely different style of game (pen and paper) and has been used for such a wide diversity of digital game types as to be functionally useless anyway. I suppose, given that DOTA-likes are essentially an RPG subgenre, it’s no surprise that there’s no good way to name them. Maybe we should just scrap the whole genre definition and start over from the top.

• AS says:

Isn’t “Battle Arena” a little redundant, anyway? Would it be confused with a “Baking Arena”? Dota games traditionally measured user ability through apm, so Valve’s Action-RTS term is slightly better, but still unsatisfying.

• OpT1mUs says:

Repost from above:

• Carados says:

This is exactly why we started referring to rogue-likes as SSDODNPDCRPGS.

Rolls right off the tongue.

• OpT1mUs says:

I have nothing against acronyms for game genres, but I do have something against forced, meaningless, retarded sounding ones…

• Rhin says:

There’s a DOTA AI?

• Vinraith says:

@Rhin

Quite a few, actually.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

I’d rather people call it MOBA than a DotA-clone or DotA-alike. It saves me from having to remind people that DotA is actually a clone of AoS and saying that you should be calling it an AoS-clone if anything.

I also call Diablo clones isometric hack and slash games.

• StenL says:

Not only is there a DotA AI, but the higher difficulties of that AI are hard enough to pose a challenge for even the best of players.

7. Chaz says:

Hasn’t that thing in the picture defected from Serious Sam?

8. Hunam says:

I don’t like MOBA’s or Minecraft.

Do I read the wrong blog?

• Dawngreeter says:

Do you read the wrong blog?

• westyfield says:

So wrong, but yet, so right.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Er.. well.. the blog is not about Minecraft or Dota-like games? And should posts appear on such, you are always free to ignore them.

I mean, I personally consider that a distinct possibility.

• DJ Phantoon says:

The wrong articles, surely.

9. BurningPet says:

The recent games shown by petroglyph are looking quite underwhelming. both this and the mmorts one.

• QuantaCat says:

I know its not recent, but I quite liked the star wars RTS ones.. A mix of star wars rebellion/supremacy and.. force commander?!

10. SpaceAkers says:

I will throw my hat (usefully) into the ring regarding disapproval of the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena genre name.

IT’S GARBAGE.

You know what’s also a “MOBA”? Any multiplayer FPS. Any multiplayer RTS. Any MMO PvP. ETC.

Just call em dota games or dota-types or whatever…

• Hunam says:

But the term has an implied understanding as Berzee mentioned. Like RPG you don’t take it literally.

11. Hirmetrium says:

Where the heck is End of Nations? I was looking forward to some old school petroglyph, CNC inspired action. So far all I’ve gotten is “other stuff trion worlds works wants us to work on”.
    First COHO, and now I’m expecting RON to die. It’s like RTS games are a disease. Like cancer. Except your stock catches it, then it crashes.

12. Longrat says:

As a HoN player, I gotta say this doesn’t seem very attractive to me. The heroes seem far too human and indistinguishable, aside from scorpion man thing. This is a MUST for games such as these. If you can’t tell heroes apart, you’ve got a real problem.

The graphics look kind of plain. Dusty sand to dusty brown. Maybe it’s just a bad map, but it just doesn’t look very appealing.

Also, having creeps be just regular, human looking things is kind of creepy. I like it more when they’re kind of a humanoid thing that you can kill and not feel too guilty about.

13. Metonymy says:

The HoN players won’t like to hear this, since they have “denying,” and carbon copies of War3 heroes, but LoL has already ‘won.’ It’s free, it’s got a lot of really easy heroes, and a lot of decently skillful heroes, an addictive leveling and purchase system, it’s visually accessible and distinct, doesn’t require a long setup-time for each game, (the bane of WoW) has reliable updates, oh and did I mention it’s free?

I’m not deluded into thinking that LoL is a skillful game, nor am I deluded into thinking that there are very many of those anywhere in the world. But I sincerely hope that LoL succeeds, and every other version, especially the $$Blizzard$$ version, fall flat on their face. All they’re doing is diluting the market with a game-style that is already pretty stale.

• Longrat says:

LoL won in the sense that it has more people, but with the recent weekend sale, the gold system, and the fact that you must pay 30$ to play HoN, I do wonder how great the profit margin is between HoN and LoL.

The games serve a different purpose. I played both HoN and LoL extensively, and after a while I found that LoL feels more boring and casual. The fact that there’s SO MUCH metagame (and I’m not just talking about heroes) makes the game a bit nondeterministic. And just like peggle, the less deterministic a game is, the less purely skill based it becomes.

I’m not gonna knock LoL too hard. It’s a good game and it is a lot more accessible than HoN, without a doubt. The item store is so much easier to use, all the heroes are competent in their own right (no pure support heroes like in HoN) and the game does have a much more appealing visual style. But when it comes down to it, HoN keeps me on my feet every game, whereas LoL really bores me.

• MrMud says:

There is enough space in the market that you dont need to “win” in order to make a profit.

• BurningPet says:

I think it is pretty certain that LoL also won in the profits sense. big time. the only reason we are seeing other Dota style games isnt because of Demigod, LoL and HoN, it is only because of LoL.

Not that it is a better game, because it is really not, it just has a better business strategy, one that is studied and envied by big shot companies in the industry.

The problem with Rise of the immortals, is that if it is going the LoL paying method, then it is looking very bland in terms of hero design, i dont have the slightest need to go and try any of this heroes (certinally not that scorpion magmus rip off), while in LoL almost every new hero that pops up give me the goose skin. and if i really want to try a hero and doesnt have a lot of time to play, i will buy him.

if this game is going to cater to the HoN/Dota audience, then they have made a hugh mistake, because neither HoN nor Dota players will leave their current game only but for Dota2. it is a simple fact that every player knows, the investment (not in terms of money) needed in those games is so big, that there has to be an equally big reason for them to “forget” what they know and jump in a new game. HoN had the new standalone graphics engine with advanced stats recording to lure the old players, LoL has the paying method and graphic style to lure the new ones, and Dota2 has Valve, Icefrog and the brand name to lure them all. i just cant see any space for others to join in this fiest. and especially when it seems to bring nothing new to it.

As a side note that i am pretty sure i would have got flamed for in any other website, i still think Demigod is the best of them all, both in terms of graphic design and mechanics. the only things it is missing is a proper line of sight and more heroes. oh, and network stability, offcourse.

• Longrat says:

DotA 2 – One game to rule them all

14. Megadyptes says:

I have no clue what a MOBA game is, just that it’s something to do with DOTA. I also know next to nothing about DOTA apart from the fact that it’s a Warcraft 3 mod, or something, and a bunch of games are copying it. It’s a mystery.

• Berzee says:

You know those sections of Warcraft 3 where you don’t train units or even really have an army, but instead just run your hero guy around using abilities and levelin’ up?

It’s basically that, on teams. =)