Pregnant With Fear: F.E.A.R. 3 Story Trailer

By John Walker on March 30th, 2011 at 2:35 pm.

Is it possible to name a jpeg sarcastically?

FEAR 3, they say, is going to have a story. Let me guess: annoyed girl makes spooky things happen to a man? Well, you can see just how right I am by watching the new story trailer below. I’ll watch it now…

Uncanny!

I’m not sure if the trailer is deliberately aping the styles of incredibly tacky straight-to-DVD trailers (er, that’s not safe for work, nor indeed anywhere else, really). I hope it is. As you’d imagine for a story trailer, it doesn’t tell us a single thing about the story, beyond that Alma is pregnant, which we already knew.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Kaira- says:

Might be cool. Though only good name they mentioned in the trailer was John Carpenter, which is kinda disappointing.

• Gyro says:

Is it bad that John Carpenter being involved might persuade me to buy this?

I enjoyed FEAR 1 and 2. My main problem was a bit of a disappointment with 2 when they put most of the best set-pieces in the demo. And there were some interesting thing sin the world I thought they could have developed a little bit more. All told, when I heard Monolith wasn’t going to do 3 I wasn’t terribly enthused.

• Juiceman says:

No, John Carpenter made the movie The Thing, which is probably one of my favorite movies. So it’s understandable to be excited that he’s involved.
      And yea, every time Monolith isn’t dev’ing FEAR they tend to suck. So this one will definitely be on the “to rent” list.

• John Walker says:

The Thing is incredible. But he also made John Carpenter’s Vampires, so, well, you know.

• FalseMyrmidon says:

He also made Ghosts on Mars which is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. I kind of liked Vampires though.

• Navagon says:

Was the game based on The Thing any good?

• lhzr says:

“is stated to include John Carpenter helping on the cinematics”

so yeah. i doubt carpenter’s involvement will actually improve anything about the fear formula. it’s still gonna be the same slog through warehouses, office buildings and back alleys, broken up by the same tired japanese ghost movie clichees, that people know and love(?).

• ZIGS says:

Vampires was tolerable, Ghosts of Mars was dog shit

• Kaira- says:

“Was the game based on The Thing any good?”

I liked it, but at the last sections of the game they just pumped the difficulty to insanity instadeath-levels.

• Tuor says:

He also helped make one of the greatest movies of all time: Dark Star

Plus, IIRC, he made “They Live”, which is almost as great as Dark Star.

• Nick says:

He has made some of my favourite films, but his post early 90′s output has been pretty bad, sadly. Pretty much everything before that is golden however, Halloween, Escape from New York, Assault on Precinct 13.. etc.

• Navagon says:

@ Kaira-
      I only like insanity insta-death difficulty if I can deal out the insta-death too. With Far Cry that didn’t prove to be the case.

• Ricc says:

@Navagon:

Never played it, but I fondly remember this video review:

• mpk says:

’70s/’80s John Carpenter movies are things of precious beauty and should be treated as such. Just ignore everything else, eventually it’ll go away. (although In The Mouth of Madness was okay).
      Also: without Dark Star there would be no Alien.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

It’s funny how I am a fan of Carpenter but I haven’t seen the movies they mentioned there, from watching Vampires as a kid i remember liking it.
      Also this guy did: Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness, They Live, Escape from L.A., and two great episodes for Masters of Horror, therefore he is awesome.
      Them buying his name is still not convincing enough for me to be interested in that unattractive game.

• Nick says:

Wait, you HAVEN’T seen Halloween?! Do! His version of Village of the Damned is.. ok, not horrible not great.

The other dude I’ve not heard of, but 30 days of night was balls.

• Werthead says:

I thought the game based on THE THING was very good. A little bit console-ly and at times the difficulty went through the roof, but a reasonably tense game with some nice ideas (like the paranoia levels as you didn’t know which other team-members were infected or not). Worth a look, since you can probably pick it up for very little these days.

2. yurusei says:

Loving the game cover art. Alma’s eyes are where her boy’s armpits are, and she’s watching.

3. Navagon says:

I actually quite liked FEAR 2 for what it was (corridor shooter, not as a horror game). That might have something to do with the fact that I got it for a less than a fiver though. I think that the shortness of it might have been an issue otherwise.

• subedii says:

I think I preferred the first one as a corridor shooter, the gameplay just felt better.

Although the two mech segments in the 2nd game were awesome, and they made me wish that Monolith would possibly revisit Shogo sometime.

• Navagon says:

Shogo could be so amazing if they made another one now. After seeing that (seemingly ill-fated) Mechwarrior trailer I could do with some mech stompiness right about now. But at least there’s Hawken still on the horizon.

4. jimjames says:

This game is totally straight to DVD. Uh. Wait…Unless its a steam download. Even so, it looks like landfill material.

What do you think about that alternative opinion? Huh?! HUH?

5. Muzman says:

Oh, this is that Greasy Man and Voice Over game (forget Bluntman and Chronic).

You know it’s only just dawned on me that this is practically Blood 2 in a new engine (minus demons I suppose): “the near future”, stuff on trains, stuff in container yards, ugly things leaping at you, ugly things appearing out of nowhere, faceless cultist goons with guns. Chuck in a few extra player char and some (more?) cheesy one liners and it’s there.

6. jonfitt says:

So is it F.3.A.R?

From my vague recollection of the first game’s plot, isn’t this one the surface the same thing? Two “sons” or Alma, one goodie, one baddie?
    I understand the horror genre often rehashes popular franchise stories 7 ways from sunday, but c’mon.

7. McDan says:

I haven’t played the first two Fear’s, are they any good and worth getting?

• ZIGS says:

Yes. The second is somewhat inferior though but still worth a romp

• suibhne says:

First one’s worth it, especially for the price you’d be paying these days. Second one is inferior in nearly every way, tho I wouldn’t have regretted playing it nearly as much if I’d purchased it on sale. It’s certainly worth a ten-spot.

• McDan says:

Thanks, I’ll have a look in the sales then. Good stuff.

8. Qjuad says:

All I remember about F.E.A.R 2 was that other characters were always arriving ahead of me at KEY PLOT POINT LOCATIONS(tm) despite them being unarmed…bleh.

Anyway, not enthusiastic.

9. noggin says:

Annoyed girls are scary though, eh? Especially pregnant ones…

10. Acorino says:

That was….boring to watch?
    Probably not the reaction they intended. I wasn’t unsettled, I wasn’t shocked…I just saw endless horror cliches.

Lots and lots of spraying blood – Check!
    BOOM!s that underline sudden cuts – Check!
    Flashes – Check!
    Shrieking violins – Check!
    Distant whining and screaming – Check!
    Scenes that are unintelligible through the use of overexposed lightning and fast cuts – Check!

I can’t quite tell if they’re just following conventions or are incredibly unimaginative, but I tend to the latter.

11. hamster says:

Oh gawd…this is not looking good. I hope it’s just a case of the advertising guys screwing things up…and the actual game ends up taking itself a little more seriously.

12. DarthNader says:

I wonder if that’s Mark Hamill doing Fettel’s voice. The laugh at the end makes me want to believe.

13. Alphabet says:

I thought the first two were pointless as horror games but actually really fun as shooters. I will buy this, though only after a significant price drop.

14. Wedge says:

Oh Monolith. Someday you’ll make an interesting game again. Someday.

15. destroy.all.monsters says:

I will end up getting this. It certainly won’t be at release though.

I still think it’s a shame there aren’t more mods for the first FEAR. I’d actually have preferred Monolith work on this one themselves. Steve Niles has some cred as a horror guy. They’re at least throwing some amount of money at it but I suspect it will still be sadly mediocre, albeit still better than Timegates’s FEARs.

16. Bhazor says:

That movie trailer highlights one of my great irrational fears.
    Sitting down on a public toilet and looking up to see a japanese guy climbing over the top in to my booth.

You can’t run mid-push, your body just wouldn’t understand.

17. Rii says:

So …. what is Monolith doing these days?

18. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I’m not happy about the direction this series is taking, but eh, what are ya gonna do. Monolith is probably making another sequel to Condemned.

The picture looks an awful lot like a Darkling. http://www.xbox360only.nl/images/screenshot/Berserker_950754.png

19. lilfecolorslt says:

I like shopping online.Recently,I have bought a Wholesale 59fifty Hats in a shopping net.It really very good.They provide high quality and large-variety Wholesale Baseball Hats ,red bull hats,dc shoes hats, New York Yankees Hats and so on.And they serviced considerate.If you are a hats lover like me,you can try it . Just make purchases without scrupulosity,I believe you will not regret.

Comment on this story