Scale Models: Jurassic Park Dinosaur Trailer

By Quintin Smith on March 30th, 2011 at 1:16 pm.

How did he even get *in* there?

The second trailer for Telltale’s Jurassic Park game has come stomping and snorting onto the internet (you can see the first here), and it features a lot of Telltale types confirming that they’re dropping their traditional point’n'click formula like a hot stone for something more action-heavy. A guy totally gets skewered by a horned dinosaur in the trailer below! Top stuff. Triceratops, specifically.

Telltale also talk about the new, never-before-seen dinosaur they’re bringing to Jurassic Park for the first time. What could it be, do you think? I was hoping for the Protarchaeopteryx but was disappointed.

I really, really like the paleontologist’s blackboard drawings at 1:13 in this trailer. Was he just doodling dinosaurs when Telltale showed up? I guess there comes a point when you’re such an expert in your very narrow field that you don’t have a boss telling you to get back to work.

, .

1. JackShandy says:

I guess now’s the time to admit that I haven’t seen the movie.

Please take a number; you may begin your pummeling shortly.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Good for you!

I think you haven’t really missed out… It’s OK. Vaguely amusing, but certainly not something life altering.

You should continue to be one of those annoying people who takes pride in not having experienced incredibly popular cultural output. I wish I had more opportunity to do that.

I realise that may seem sarcastic, but it really isn’t!

• frenz0rz says:

God lord man! Next you’ll be telling us that you never had a dinosaur-obsessed phase as a child!

• Oak says:

You’re broken and can never be fixed.

• Juiceman says:

Compared to movies today I don’t think it has stood the test of time. But in 1993 the movie was truly groundbreaking.

• Bret says:

The CG is still impressively done, the sense of wonder is palpable, and the score kicks all kinds of ass.

Well worth seeing.

• Oculardissonance says:

I don’t remember Alyx Vance in the movie.

amishmonster says:

Yeah, it’s aged remarkably well. Definitely still worth a viewing.

2. Xocrates says:

“never-before-seen dinosaur”

Based on the footage at 2:30, it’s clearly the Sam Raimisaurus

3. MrMud says:

Im hoping for an Argentinosaurus that ends up eating the T-Rex because it is so tiny.

4. frenz0rz says:

Just to point out, the first trailer you linked to is no longer available.

5. cjlr says:

Who wants to bet on how it’ll match up to Trespasser?

6. blankvanish says:

The graphics look weak and the animation stiff.

7. Hoaxfish says:

“never before seen” kinda took me down the path of “madeitupandneverexistedosaurus” that I think most people expect from the modern sort of “look! real dinosaurs! we only know 10% of how they actually lived, so we made up the other 90% +superawesomeness”

That, and continuing the Jurrasic Park tradition of misrepresenting the size of Velociraptors

• Jhoosier says:

Maybe not “seen”, but it sure sounds like one that was in the novel. Not sure if I want to spoil it for everyone else. Wasn’t it the one that ate Hammond?

• Menthol says:

Ah, but they covered that base with the frog DNA clause. Something not accurate? DNA mixing must have accidentally caused it!

• Sweedums says:

@jhoosier i believe the ones that ate hammond were the compys (procompsognathaurus?)… they were the little ones who gang up and prey on weak and dying animals… like peter stormare in the lost world :P

amishmonster says:

Yeah, it’s annoying that people consistently think dilophosaurs had frills, spat acid, and were the size of velociraptors, and that raptors were deinonychus.

No real idea what the “new” dinosaur might be, I hope they aren’t going further off the rails with paralytic poisons. The glimpse in the trailer made me think of a troodon, though.

• Jhoosier says:

I thought compys because I recall them having poison in the novel, and they went out at night. Then again, I read the book a long time ago, so perhaps I’m mistaken.

8. BrendanJB says:

I am by no means a graphics whore. Hell I can play System Shock and Morrowind without a fuss.

But this looks really gross.

Which makes me sad because I am an absolute die hard Jurassic Park fan :(

9. Ian says:

I hope it replicates the “hacking” from the film in the form of an awesome mini-game.

• Paravel says:

Clever girl…..

• Shadram says:

“I know this, it’s a UNIX system!”

Not like any bloody UNIX system I ever worked with. Would have made coding in the 90s much more fun.

(And yes, I’m aware that it actually was a real OS interface, but it existed only to amuse some bored supernerds who wanted to be Tron in the late 80s)

• adonf says:

@Shadram: The tool that they show in the hacking scene was an actual 3D-shell for the Silicon Graphics workstations. Although on the SG Indigo that they had at Leeds Uni when I studied there it ran at less than 1 frame per second and was just unusable.

SimianJim says:

Even with the inclusion of DINOSAURS I can’t really get excited about playing a game when I have no idea what it’s going to play like. So far I’ve seen nothing to give me any hint about how this game is going to play

11. Bhazor says:

OK, to anyone who has seen the film.
    What the hell was the point of the kid? He doesn’t have a sub plot, forward the main plot or take any part in the action he just sort of gets lugged around like a sack of spuds. He isn’t even the wide eye victim or emotional anchor for a major character. He just seems to be in the film to get hillariously injured and scared. Which is fine by me as thats the best role for superflous child actors.

• Matt says:

His sole purpose was the fence-climbing scene.

But seriously, in the novel the brother was the older sibling and the elite hacker… no “This is Unix! I know this!” guffaws in the book.

Jurassic Park was the first time I learned that perhaps it’s best not to hope that films will be faithful translations of their source material.

• MrHairyLives says:

He’s there purely to highlight charatcer change in Dr Grant. At the start of the flim, Grant is hilarious at the fat child but that doesn’t gel with ‘normal’ human behaviour; his opinion of children being annoying shits is at odds with good ol’ American familly values. So Grant goes on this amazing journey of discovering dinosaurs and is prompyly chased by them. But with the children. As he has been though such a traumatic expereince with them, he suffers something akin to Stockholm syndrome and starts to find them not that annoying after all. Thus he becomes the Father Figure in good ol’ American family values that Steven Speilberg likes to shove down our necks at least every second film.

But really you’re right. Also he should get blasted off fences more. Everybody cheered!

• Oak says:

How do you feel about good ol’ American family values, MrHairyLives?

12. Paravel says:

I loved this (book) movie as a teenager. My brother and I watched it at least 40 times.

That being said:
    - This movie was made almost 10 years ago, and I haven’t heard someone talking about it in at least the last five of those. Meaning it hasn’t reached that point of maturity to be truly considered a nostalgia thing.
    - 10 years ago, they came out with a bunch of video games based on this movie, ie: it’s been done.
    - None of those games were very good (though the SNES one had some interesting top-down transitioning to first person indoors)
    - This (trailer for the) game appears to bring none of the advances in gaming we’ve seen over the last several years except for 3D but as has been stated the animations look poorly done… and if your CG trailer that shows all the “cool” of your game isn’t all that cool, we can’t expect much from the actual in-game now can we?
    - It depresses me that a point and click design company decided, despite the above, to go ahead and try to break into the world of powerhouse action gaming franchises with such a weak entry. Looks like a huge waste of money to me. :(

• Xocrates says:

10 years? The movie came out 1993, it’s nearly 20 by now.

• godgoo says:

what on earth!? Jurassic Park for the Amiga 1200 was awesome with the sauce on!

edit: although actually I agree with your general point, this doesn’t look too promising, but they all look so happy!

13. Rii says:

It’s like they recreated the film frame by frame with state of the art CGI circa 2001.

14. Cunzy1 1 says:

The new dinosaur better be Bambiraptor or I ain’t never playing any more Jurassic Park games again.

Oh and it better have feathers. All this NSFW nekked dinosaur action.

15. skyturnedred says:

Unless I can ride the T-Rex and destroy EVERYTHING I’m not interested.

16. Basilicus says:

I’m cautiously optimistic. The style looks good, and it’s Telltale – it’s going to look behind-the-times, but who cares?

Looking at the Road Show footage, though, I’m slightly perturbed that the entire thing looks like a massive QTE. I’m hoping for a little more adventure and puzzle solving, a little less push all the buttons till something happens.

17. Stormdancer says:

I have to say… it kinda looks like a PS2 game. The huge sheets of texture laid across big flat planes… the very poor shadow-casting… ugh.

But looks aren’t everything. Sounds like they’re paying a lot of attention to story & character, and I really like that.

18. Navagon says:

Is it too much to hope for to wish they’d do a non-QTE based game with this IP as well? I’d love to see something more along the lines of a survival horror. Heh, maybe like Stalker in a Crysis-like archipelago with Dinosaurs. Otherwise known as Tresspasser done right.

19. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks promising. I’ve felt a bit let down by Tell Tale in the past, Tales of Monkey Island was an abomination, there again so were Monkey Islands 3 and 4. Back to The Future has been pretty disappointing so far. Strong Bad and Sam & Max have been consistently decent with a few high and low points. I’m pretty 50/50
    Still, at least they’re trying something a bit different this time around.

• Angel Dust says:

I’m pretty much in agreement with you. I’ve not been the biggest fan of Telltale’s work and I can’t say I’ve been impressed by what I’ve seen so far of this but I’m certainly interested in seeing how this pans out. It is great that Telltale are trying something different and while I like my goofy, comic adventure games, I always wish there was a bit more in the serious, dramatic adventure game category (Gemini Rue was lovely). Here’s hoping they can deliver on characters and plot because if they are compelling then ropey graphics and QTE’s are so much of an issue anymore.

20. Richard Clayton says:

Walking and pixel hunting are out as they are a waste of the player’s time (we are in too much of a hurry for immersion here, kids) and some big floaty icons over our nice animations.

Pre-scripted animations linked together with QTEs: so essentially this is a 2011 version of “Dragon’s Lair”.

Not exactly pushing the boundaries here are we, Telltale?