Rally, Rally Fast: Dirt 3 Group B Trailer

By Quintin Smith on March 31st, 2011 at 11:39 am.

SAVANNAH, NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NANANA NANANA

Have we used that joke before? Definitely. But hopefully the following fact will distract you- the trailer after the jump shows off the Group B rally cars that’ll be in Dirt 3 (releasing this May). You can read about Group B cars here, but basically Group B was a new set of regulations for building rally cars introduced in 1982 that meant the cars could be made out of lightweight materials and the engines turbocharged with no limit. The end result was cars so fast that the spongy reflexes of humans couldn’t possibly cope, and following a series of catastrophic accidents where drivers inserted the things into the landscape like horrific flags Group B cars were banned. But not in Dirt 3! Come, watch.

On the one hand, I want to chastise Codemasters for taking footage of famously fast cars and making it slow. On the other hand, this game is looking beautiful. It’s like Cars Wot Go Fast: Deluxe, or something. I want it!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. alh_p says:

Brum brums you say? I’ll be damned.

• BAReFOOt says:

Yes, and you can bet that they still have the same physics as in Colin McRae 2. Not Dirt. Just CMR.
      Because the exact same tricks to game the drifting mechanics still worked in Dirt 2. Same thing with accelerating at the start, or generally breaking/accelerating.
      When I drove how you’d drive a real rally car, the race didn’t go well, with lots of spinning in corners and generally being the last from start to end.
      As soon as I switched to “Codemasters” mode, I won races by a mile. ^^
      So unless they radically re-wrote the car physics, I’ll keep my Richard Burns Rally. TYVM. :)

2. McDan says:

It’s slowed down because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to see the Deluxe speeds. Also anytime the word Deluxe is used, it should totally be in italics. It’s fancy.

3. sonofsanta says:

01:24… I’m sure I saw that car parked at Tesco last night, with two teenagers brooding inside.

4. Gap Gen says:

I guess Car Wot Goes Fast 4 is delayed again?

5. bighatdino says:

They might now look prettier, but Group Bs were in the early Colin McRae games, it’s not like the Codies are pushing the boat out.

6. Tunips says:

I just watched some youtube of Group B cars. They sound like a swarm of angry hornets and look ludicrously unsafe. I don’t think they’re even capable of going in a straight line.
    I approve.

• Falfa says:

And that’s why this trailer failed so hard. No real gameplay material with thundering sound. Intro saying “quickest, most powerful” and so on is not enough. Overall I hate marketing videos which are focusing on tv-angles. Not enough inside cockpit footage with roaring sound. That material gets me on.

7. Schmung says:

Do hope we get the regular Integrale as well as the S4 and some of the more juice Group B prototypes folk were working on. It does imply the existence of a proper Group B mode though, which would be jolly nice.

8. Curvespace says:

I fear that the music is not epic enough.

Better off watching Ari Vatanen’s run at Pike’s Peak. Much more exciting.

9. Warth0g says:

Ermm is it me or is this graphically unimpressive? I remember being rather wowed by Dirt 2 and this feels like a bit of a backwards step…

Nice choice of cars though..

• Evil Timmy says:

I don’t think it’s necessarily a step backwards, but the improvements are very slight. The lighting and dust trails look a little better, and there’s weather, but the cars seem to be of the same good-yet-not-stunning quality. Dirt 2 was one of the first games to use DX11, and it’s been less than 18 months, so I wouldn’t have expected anything revolutionary in the engine department.

More Group B rallying, though…ditch those horrible to drive trucks and bring on family cars with 2L engines putting out 900HP, and pray you can pendulum that short wheelbase through a bad camber. Otherwise, that engine that was only going to be good for 2000 miles anyways is going to be 15 feet up in a tree.

• Bhazor says:

Well there’s less motion blur now. Thankfully.

• BAReFOOt says:

I have to agree, that the graphics look really bad. As I said below, it partially looks like it lacks any dynamic lighting or bump maps at all. In some parts it even looks like there are no shadows at all. Plus, the textures seem really poor.

10. Eddeman says:

Rally and Trailblazer were my favourite gametypes in Dirt 2, so maybe this is a bit of both? Don’t really know a lot about what will or will not be in this iteration, hopefully they’ve removed whole Baja truck mode which was a huge bore. And I spotted a track with snow in there, always fun to think you’re in complete control until you hit the first turn and just keep going straight out into the woods.

11. RogB says:

wow, i was fully expecting the classy sedate slow motion and relaxing music to burst into MTV style cuts and some generic angsty nu-metal soundtrack. congratulations codies for actually restraining yourselves for once.

12. Evil Otto says:

compare the serenity of this trailer with the EXTREME presentation of Dirt 2…

This will be good.

13. Bhazor says:

I r(e)ally don’t think you can blame the cars for those crashes.

14. Makariel says:

I didn’t like Dirt 2 because it was just ToO mUcH X-GaMeS cRaZySh!T fOr Me.
    I approve the more serious rally angle this time around. The monsters that we call group B cars make it approximately 10 times more awesome. Group B is what happens when common sense is overwhelmed by the desire for horsepower.

• Chizu says:

Agreed. I do like the rallying in Dirt 2, I just wish there wasn’t so much Rally Cross and landrush rubbish in the game (And also the buddy buddy radio chatter from the other racers making your want to throw up all over their windscreen) and more Rally tracks and events.

I look foward to 3 and its return of the Group B cars.

15. ChromeBallz says:

Honestly, most of the time the trailer reminds me of CMR2005.

Somehow it all looks blurry and washed out :(

16. Stompywitch says:

I really liked DiRT2, but after getting the Codies Racing Pack in a Steam sale, I don’t think I really need this for a while – there’s still plenty in those to keep me busy, especially with FUEL Reloaded ticking along nicely.

17. ZIGS says:

For anyone excited about this: it uses GFWL. Have a nice day

18. Riotpoll says:

Lack of engine sounds and power slides make me sad, this trailer is not representative of group B rally cars!

19. utzel says:

They just can’t do proper lighting at Codemasters. They get better and better and when they get something looking really good they try their best to destroy. Maybe the colour on all their monitors is really off? Even the text 10 seconds in has stupid lighting and everyone using vignetting should be hung by his balls.

Sorry, had to get that one out of the system. I’m looking forward to their promise to get back to more Rally, and although their handling never worked with a wheel for me at least it was fun to play with keyboard/pad. After some destruction work on the shader files…

20. Atomosk says:

RAIN. I don’t expecting much from Codemasters these days but I used to leave Colin MCRae 2005 idling in 1st person view with the sound turned up just for the rain and wiper effects. Drive through Japan splashing in the puddles. So nice…

21. Henke says:

What is with the ESRB rating for “Lyrics” at the beginning of the video?

Comment on this story