Swords And Paucity: An Observation

By Jim Rossignol on March 31st, 2011 at 11:00 pm.

Seperated at birth?
There are two games coming out this summer featuring swordplay and templars with beards. One of these is The Cursed Crusade, the other is The First Templar. I would you like you to compare and contrast these videos: here and here.

Alternatively, use this. That is all.

, .

1. Meatloaf says:

See, I knew about these two games. And I knew that they were similar. But when I actually can’t remember what parts I was sure were in the other game, that’s a bit silly.

Though I must say, the one on the left is giving me a bit of the Dante’s Inferno vibe, while the one on the right looks more… authentic? Serious? Boring? What’s the word we’re using to describe the more grounded games these days?

In any case, neither looking too hot right now. However, whichever is the one that offers coop stays on my list just because I like coop.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

For a game called “The First Templar” set in the late 13th century among unremarkable crusades, authentic is not the word. Boring is more appropriate here, yes.

• Soon says:

I didn’t even realise it was two different shots stuck together at first.

2. Jimbo says:

So Assassin’s Creed sold pretty well then? Shame they forgot to set their trailers to Massive Attack.

3. Hoaxfish says:

I’m quite fond of the chainmail+cloth soldier look… it always feels somewhat grubbier than LotR/White Knight “fantasy hero” types. It’s like the medieval peasants and farmers, rather than pratting around as rich kid in a Ferrari.

If you can kill a demon with a rusty sword and battered wooden shield, rather than “blacksmith’s best” equipment, doesn’t it make you more Heroic.

• Rhin says:

Well, I’d say being able to move in full plate is pretty heroic.

• Minicow says:

Because as we all know, the ability to move with 40 pounds distributed over your body is truly extraordinary.

• Pantsman says:

Incidentally, in the actual LotR books, there was no plate armour. Only chainmail is ever mentioned.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

And in fact, chain is harder on the body to wear. Simply because with well-made plate the weight is distributed far better and, if I recall correctly, plate weighs actually less than a full mail armour.

4. MDS says:

Eh, to be fair to them both, they’re just following the conventions that have been established for action game trailers… if both went for something unusual and it was the exact same thing, THAT would be noteworthy

5. Jorum says:

cursed crusade reminded me of severance – thats a game i’d like to see redone

• ynamite says:

You Sir, should be knighted.

• zergrush says:

You, Sir, should play Demon’s Souls.
      Like, right now. Not owning a PS3 is no excuse.

• Hammurabi says:

I have been tempted to buy Demon’s Souls a couple of times, even though I have no PS3. I would then sneak into PS3 owner’s homes (I only know two and each of them live over an hour away in opposite directions,, so it would have to be a stranger) and play it. That’s not a crime right? Is there a specific charge for unlawful awesome? Gaming without permission?

• Crazy Hippo says:

thats exactly what i thought on seeing it. been waiting for something along the lines of severance for years

6. Ricc says:

Templars are the new Space Marines.

• Navagon says:

More like one of the influences behind Space Marines.

• julianbenson says:

So does that make Templar games hip-retro? Are they in fact games for Hipsters…?

7. Bantros says:

The First Templar looks very similar to Assassins Creed, the combat that is. Shameless even

8. Dlarit says:

Wolfenstein/doom…
    Ants/a bugs life…
    Deep impact/Armageddon…

It’s happening now.. And it will happen again!

• Hoaxfish says:

Wolfenstein/doom…
      er, I don’t think those came out at the same time, and were by the same company

• Dlarit says:

That’s what they want you to think…

9. Navagon says:

I bet they’re both cursing their timing.

10. RP says:

Cursed Crusade looks a lot more visceral and visually interesting, but has a really silly name.

11. Alexander Norris says:

The First Templar is the one that is supposed to be built from the grounds up as a co-op beat ‘em up. It sounded pretty good from what I’d heard of it.

No idea what the Cursed Crusade is supposed to be other than generic Crusades action game with blood and demony bits thrown in for good measure.

12. Basilicus says:

Cursed Crusade looks like it has better production values, but First Templar looks like more love is going into its development. So…one will be smooth as butter and the other will be involving but slightly frustrating.

That’s my bet.

• Maldomel says:

That’s my bet too, you resume exactly what I think.

• Ragnar says:

Exactly right, though The First Templar also has co-op, which may make up for its deficiencies.

The way I see it, Cursed Crusade’s looks like the game I’ll want to play on my own, and the First Templar like the game I’ll want to play with the gf.

13. BubbaNZ says:

The one on the left was a bit longer than the one on the right.

Do I win?

14. TheBlackBandit says:

I’m pretty sure that’s Nathan Drake on the left.

15. BurningPet says:

The one on the right has kalypso behind it. the one on the left wins.

16. Vadermath says:

The Cursed Crusade definitely looks way more fun.

• Urael says:

It looks more visceral, certainly. And the combat style just looks….better. Cursed Crusade it is, then. Nice.