Hoop & Stick II Demo Released Today

By John Walker on April 1st, 2011 at 12:10 pm.

Hoop not compatible with Stick I.

The much awaited Hoop & Stick II isn’t due out until next Friday, but manufacturers Softly & Macro have released a demo today. Coming with just a stick, those who pick it up will be able to practice the appropriate swooshing motions, as well as prepare themselves for the new Grapheme Movements techniques. Softly & Macro describe the GM tech as being the next step forward for game control mechanisms, which they say will revolutionise hoop movement. Sticks picked up today will be automatically compatible with the Hoop II when it’s released in seven days. However, to some controversy, sticks used with an original hoop will not be supported. Our full review will be up next week.

It has been a quiet week for video games.

, , .

1. Rich says:

Posted after noon. It’s off to the April Fool’s salt mine of mild discomfort for you!

• John Walker says:

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• gorgol says:

From Wikipedia: ‘ Traditionally, in some countries such as New Zealand, Ireland, the UK, Australia, and South Africa, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an “April Fool”. ‘

• John Walker says:

First of all, I’m not entirely sure why you’re talking about April Fool’s. Secondly, I wasn’t aware the internet existed in a particular time zone. Do feel free to explain the same to our readers on the left.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

This article is genuine. Hoop and Stick II is trending at #3 on Twitter feeds, just under Justin Bieber’s new range of vibrating underpants.

• gorgol says:

Aye John, I was just clearing up any possible doubt as to what he meant.

As for the game I just hope they don’t dumb it down. If it is insisted that we roll the hoop along some predefined tracks, or if the hoop is made wider so as to make it easier to maintain upright, I will not be purchasing this. Let us pray they remain true to the challenging sandbox nature of the classic and original Hoop & Stick.

To be honest I’m not sure why they are bothering with a sequel, I cannot see many added features except they’ve made the stick and hoop out of new fangled shinier material instead of perfectly good wood. I suppose they are just trying to milk the game for as much as it is worth. I sigh.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

lol you said “good wood”

2. Jajusha says:

Demo isn’t available in Europe yet, 3 more days to go. Sticks are crossing the Atlantic as we speak.

Andy_Panthro says:

Truly, this waiting time could only be reduced by utilising the finest ships available to speed these products to England’s fair shores.

However, I do believe such fine ships are currently employed in the tea trade, which is to be expected.

3. Mephisto says:

Can’t find this on Steam. Sigh, another potential gem goes unplayed.

Makariel says:

Hoop & stick with steam? How peculiar…

• Meneth says:

In these new days, increasing amounts of our lives are becoming powered by the magic of steam.
      Why, good sir, should the noble hoop and stick be an exception? It might truly benefit from this technology.

4. lunarplasma says:

I hear it will have support for rods-and-cones resolution!

5. DevilSShadoW says:

Not subtle enough my dear RPS. Not subtle enough…

6. McDan says:

You are ten minutes past the hour sir! This must be a true Stick-to-Hoop sequel then, my 4’386 grandchildren will be pleased.

7. SuperNashwanPower says:

The hoop had an interesting evolution. From 1873 to 1973, it moved from the floor to the waist, where much frowned-upon (in Victorian times) hip thrusting turned it into another fad. From stick to pelvic gyration in only a century. The pace was positively break-neck.

8. MadTinkerer says:

What, they’re going to release the PC version after all? Thank goodness, I was worried I’d be stuck playing it in the parlor on my Nintendo Analytical Engine, but indeed I shall play HS2 in the study on my International Business Mechanisms compatible Personal Clockwork caculatory array as the good Lord intended!

Rinox says:

I played the beta. Sticks are OP.

• JackShandy says:

Is it true they’ve nerfed hoops since then?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I hope not, sir! That would be going backwards and having to go backwards would make the game completely unplayable.

Thermal Ions says:

I’m concerned about the rumour that they cut some of the planned content (brass handled sticks and sticks with bells on) in order to shaft us by selling it as overpriced DLC.

11. Mario Figueiredo says:

What I liked most from the beta was the modding engine. John Frantovich from Modding News mentioned that there’s already someone working on a car tires conversion.

12. MaxNormal says:

Revolutionise hoop movement ! Ha I call shenanigans on this preposterous claim. I note that Softly and Macro are advertising this preposterous product in the classified advertorial supplement at the back of your “free” newspaper. You stand before us revealed as slatternley myopic purveyors of corrupt filth, only interested in the filthy lucre that Softly & Macro provide.

Have you no decency Sir?

13. Simon Hawthorne says:

I hated the beta.
    The hoop is terribly unbalanced.

14. Vague-rant says:

I forget, what year is it?

• Meneth says:

It is of course the year of 1873, sir, the greatest year our noble sport of playing games has seen thus far.

15. Navagon says:

I must say that I have attempted to operate this most compelling form of entertainment through one’s windows. These windows were open at the time of course. However tragedy befell my endeavours when it was discovered that I have indeed in my possession the wrong windows installed for this game to be played through.

The local carpenter recommended that I replace these antiquated windows that have served my family for generations with some Centennial Edition windows. However after several diligent enquiries into the man’s recommendations it has come to my attention that Centennial Edition windows attract termites and other associated bugs like no other. One could be left with naught but a hole on one’s wall where once a proud window was installed. This simply will not do.

Thus I have concluded that I will not be partaking in this game. May others enjoy the complexities of this new form of entertainment all they can. I wish them many a happy hour. But alas it is not for me.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Fear not, good Sir.
      Your plight is one shared by many upstanding home owners in which the state of their windows does not allow a proper method of playing Hoop and Stick. Softly & Macro have cleverly anticipated this conundrum of transition by introducing a completely free of cost service ramp path, called a “direct cross.” It allows the hoop to bridge any window with little or no loss of game enjoyment.

16. Nemon says:

What is this new devilry? Our children are besinned by these evil contraptions!!onethoneth

17. Antsy says:

They’ve taken Hoop and Stick and bloody consolised it. The sticks are now too straight and the hoops too round. I’m sick of this pandering to the gamepad.

• The Tupper says:

Ha! Class.

• Temple to Tei says:

As ‘ad_hominen’ would have it from another post – it appears to have come from a harbour…

“I hereby denounce this game as being tailored towards the unsavoury elements present in the port area of our towns, and as such has been stripped down to more suit the lacklustre intelligence and monetary dissonance of the inhabitants there.”

18. Vague-rant says:

Completely unoriginal concept. Its like they couldn’t be bothered to reinvent the wheel.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Honk honk :D Pun-tastic

They took a long time rolling out the beta version too, so I heard.

Honk.
      Honk honk.

19. SuperNashwanPower says:

Also, the developers reportedly released free-rolling, or “Perpetual Circulation (PC)” versions of the hoop, alongside the cheaper “Single Rotation (360 degree)” and “Half rotation (180 degree)” versions. However, because the single-rotation version sold so many more units, it was decided that Perpetual Circulation models should be limited to one rotation only – leading PC owners to bemoan the handicapping of their version to 360 performance. Pages of angry cynical comments and forum posts do not seem to have remedied the situation, which a Softly & Macro spokesperson described as “cross hoop optimisations”.

20. poop says:

ugh, more motion control codswallop for the ignorant working classes to satisfy themselves with.

21. trooperdx3117 says:

Bah surely this new hoop and a stick is really just an expandalone rather than a full sequel to the classic Hoop and a stick!

22. The_B says:

I am enranged by the fact that Hoop & Stick 2 uses the far inferior pine variety of wood than the far superior material of oak from Hoop and Stick 1 STOP
    This, coupled with the fact that the Hoop itself is at least 0.3 inches smaller than the previous hoop leads me to conclude that this is the worst entertainment product ever made and I shall not sully my good name by continuing to support the product until the manufacturers give us the promised update which adds varnish to both the stick and hoop STOP
    Sincerely,
    Mr B

Lambchops says:

I’ve always found this game to be horribly infested with those horrible ragamuffin vagrants that seem to been coined as “griefers.” The little rascals just take the stick and regardless of it’s version proceed to skelp all and sundry on their bahookies whlst shouting the most crude abuse at their victims.

These sots make a travesty of what was once a wonderful, innocent game. I personally have abandoned the Hoop and Sticke for the more sedate pursuit of hopscotch, which has so far escaped the attention of these so called griefers.

24. Al Ewing says:

Oh-ho! Another iteration of Hoop & Stick to come our way? Might we expect, sir, to be asked to purchase as many ‘expansion packs’ for the new model as we did for the first? I was foolhardy enough to sink my valuable capital into Hoop & Stick: India-Rubber Grip, Hoop & Stick: Varnish, Hoop & Stick: Silver Stick-tip For Dandies and Hoop & Stick: Collector’s Edition Monocle For The Viewing Of Games Of Hoop & Stick, the combined outlay leaving me in debtor’s prison!

Must I now replay the foolishness anew? ‘Tis a situation almost farcical enough to be printed in the satirical magazine ‘Punch’!

25. GHudston says:

Stick gaming is dying!

I remember when the first Hoop & Stick came out and revolutionised the genre. I had to upgrade my stick just to be able to play it and it served to push stick manufacturers to whole new levels. It’s still used as a benchmark for new sticks to this day!

But now, Hoop & Stick II is playable with any moderately sturdy stick and doesn’t even contain any options for improved play for those who paid for a powerful, modern stick. Softly & Macro seem to have entirely forgotten the point of their first endeavour, instead preferring to cater to those who have never even played stick games before! It’s a disgrace!

26. Tom4J says:

The Ellipse engine just doesn’t cut it for me these days i’m afraid. This is going to get some stiff competion when “Ball and cup” is realsed with its true 3d sphere engine.

tom j

27. bwion says:

How long must we endure this perfidy? Must every single article within this esteemed journal of entertainment-based entertainment relate to this benighted Hoop & Stick game?

Why, it’s bad enough that I have to toil day and night at the mines. Do you know that, just today, a wolf sidled up to me as if expecting to be fed? An actual wolf!

28. Outright Villainy says:

I hope they cater for modification support, as with the original Hoop and Stick. Who can forget such great (and free!) mods such as The hoola hoop, Fuel for the midnight fire, and of course the infamous Beat your nearby fellow to within a cubit of his life with the stick Mod. I can assure you, I enjoyed those (particularly the latter) far more than the original game, and if the robust developer support is removed from this new iteration, I shall be coloured most unimpressed.

• Hammurabi says:

I have a few modifications of this exciting iteration of the game in development now. Most notably are How many brethren may fit in a hoop? and Razored Hoop of Skill, look for them in an upcoming quarter.

29. GoodPatton says:

I have heard that the fabrication and free distribution of false hoops and sticks by some clever entrepreneur is pushing Softly & Marco to slow production and focus on catering to the players of “board games”. This is highly distressing as it seems to be eschewing in the death of this wonderful medium of play thing.