This Volition Documentary Is De(s)cent

By Quintin Smith on April 3rd, 2011 at 6:24 pm.

Willard Christopher Smith, Jr, there. No, really.

Game Informer have put up an hour long documentary on the history of Volition, the US developers that got their start making Descent, and then went on to make Freespace 1 & 2, Red Faction and its sequels, and most recently the Saints Row games. It’s always nice hearing the stories behind big games like those, and Game Informer were smart enough to insert every cringeworthy 90s TV advert for them that they could find. Plus there’s some time spent talking about a cancelled game called Underground, which was going to be a heist game set in London, and you get a Fresh Prince era Will Smith at a games expo talking about how Descent feels just like a movie. Go watch!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Miker says:

In West Philadelphia, born and raised…

(come on RPS, I have faith!)

2. frenz0rz says:

Ooh, I’ll give this a watch tonight,

3. CyberBrent says:

Kind of convenient that this turns up considering I just recently bought and have been playing Freespace 1 and 2.

4. Lambchops says:

Also 360 > 0! Who’d have thunk it!

Watched the little section on Freesapce 1 and 2 as those are the Volition game’s I have fondest memories of (Red Faction was alright, haven’t got round to Guerilla yet despite buying it in a sale).

5. D3xter says:

I want another Descent :/

6. Henke says:

Rodney Dangerfield don’t get no respect from those spacealiens. :tsktsk:

7. vodka and cookies says:

Watched this when it came out, amazing to think Volition has been around 18 years, god damn that’s a long time in this industry, it’s nice to see Volition get a little recognition. Underground looked way ahead of it’s time almost like Splinter Cell in action.

They actually said separately before this came out 2-3 weeks ago that they would love to do another Freespace but of course it’s not up to them.

The dreaded Interplay still hold onto the licenses for Freespace, worse former Titus studio owners are the people running Interplay these days and they are the kind of guys who will hold anything hostage for ridiculous money.

8. Phinor says:

Freespace 2 was such a good game (in my top 10) especially compared to anything they’ve made in the past 8 or so years. I wish Volition could go back to their roots AND still have good sales from console versions.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the documentary. Probably would have missed it otherwise.

9. Rath says:

That a Fresh Prince reunion show is on the cards pleases me.

10. Jockie says:

Good watch, reminded me I have an as yet unplayed copy of Freespace 2 sat on my gog account from a sale a while back.

11. Verb4tim says:

Freespace 3, Make it happen!

12. MadMinstrel says:

Ah, Volition, my favorite developer ever. Descent, Freespace, Red Faction, Saints Row – I love all of them, which is strange considering they are all different genres and I’m not really a fan of shooters. I just wish making another Freespace wasn’t equivalent to signing their closure papers. Oh well. The new Red Faction looks promising.

• The Army of None says:

Yea, I’m with you. Weirdly, I never had linked together all of these games to one developer. Now that I know that it was the same chaps behind them all, I sorta thought to my self “oh… Well, yes, yes indeed, Volition IS amazing!”

13. Juiceman says:

I think Descent came free on my family’s first computer. I can remember playing that game for hours as a little kid. Likewise with Red Faction. It was always fun to see just how far you could tunnel somewhere, and of course whether or not you could manage to get back out.

14. cjlr says:

Sweet Jesus I love Descent.

You know what’s not fun? Trying to get IPX functionality over a DOS emulator to play Descent at a campus LAN party.

You know what IS fun? When it finally works. All worth it.

And obviously Freespace was wonderful. Red Faction and Saint’s Row I’m not nearly as keen on, but of course I still quite like both.

15. Jason Moyer says:

The videos on Parallax are awesome. Also, I didn’t realize the company that did the PC port of Red Faction: Guerilla is run by one of Parallax’s co-founders. That’s kind of neat.

16. QuantaCat says:

He says in one of the videos that “lots of destructing in a corridor shooter doesnt make sense”, meaning there is still hope for red faction 4.

17. felisc says:

I wonder if those interviews took place at 7am on a monday, they sure talk at a slow lazy pace. zzzz.

Comment on this story