By John Walker on April 4th, 2011 at 5:15 pm.
So guess which year the next Anno game’s going to be in. The strategy/simulation series began in 1602, jumped ahead to 1701, then went all the way back to 1404. So where next for the city-building RTS? Of course it’s 2070.
From Related Designs and Bluebyte once again, it’s going all futuristic, which is perhaps a somewhat surprising turn for the old-world series. Caroline Stevens, EMEA Brand Director at Ubisoft, said,
“Anno 2070 is a very ambitious game that will feel both familiar and fresh to fans of the series. Due to the game’s futuristic setting, the development team wasn’t restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before. It’s a new take on a great franchise that both newcomers and longtime fans will love.”
Here’s the “key features” Ubisoft are touting:
- A new era: while adhering to the fundamentals that made the Anno franchise a success, the near-future setting will bring numerous new gameplay mechanics, architectural breakthroughs, and all new challenges. Additionally, players will be able to build massive cities, the scope of which has never been seen in prior Anno games.
- A dynamic world: the world of Anno 2070 will evolve differently depending on each player’s playing style and choices. Players’ decisions will have an impact on the environment, the architectural look of their world, and the needs of their populations, leading them to refine and better understand the impact of their personal approaches to managing the world’s resources.
- Factions: players will be able to select between two factions when building their empires. Players can choose between an industrial and efficient course by joining the Tycoons or a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly direction by siding with the Ecos.
- Rich and varied game modes:
Single player campaign: a story-driven single player mode with a deep variety of challenges.
Single player “continuous mode”: the renowned endless game mode where the objective is to build the biggest civilization possible without time constraints.
Multiplayer and Online features: Anno 2070 will include innovative online modes offering players brand new possibilities to get in touch with gamers all around the world.
- Outstanding graphics: A new version of the game engine, developed specifically by Related Designs for Anno 2070, allows the game to deliver a breathtaking visual experience never before seen in the Anno franchise.
Ubi says to head to the main Anno site for more details, but there don’t appear to be any. Just a very annoying talking man.